TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Shanezam203

$99 lifetime offer

I have an extra Tivo HD box I no longer use in a spare bedroom and the multi service discount of $6.95 ran out so I called in to cancel it and they offered me $99 lifetime.

At a point I should stop paying the $7 and cancel it or buy the lifetime, I just don't use it. I don't have any conflicts I care to go in the 2nd room and program and I just don't use the 2nd HD box anymore.

Any plans to communicate with a 2nd box better in the near future or no?
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Take the $99 and try it out. If you do not like it you can sell it an easily recoup your money. Or gift it.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have a $6.95 TiVo HD I'd love to convert to lifetime for $99. I'll have to give this a try.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
Series3Sub

Exactly. Get the $99 lifetime. It will be worth more than that on eBay.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Chris Gerhard

I have an already unsubscribed TiVoHD I would love to convert to lifetime for $99, if there is a way to proceed with pursuing this offer, I would like to know it. I guess I could put the internet connection back on it and then call and threaten to continue to leave it unsubscribed and connecting. Somehow that doesn't sound too scary. I spent a lot on lifetime for the other two but that probably doesn't carry anywhere near as much weight as someone who has been paying monthly on a couple of TiVos for a while.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Chris Gerhard

I didn't offer my advice but definitely accept that great offer and either use it or sell it. I would just use it.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I have a $6.95 HD I'd do this with too if I could...

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

At $99 for lifetime it is more than worth it. Worst case you can sell the box since Lifetime is worth $500 without a multi-service discount.
But for only $99, even with the grandfathered $6.95 plan, the break even point is only 14 months. I have one box on the $6.95 plan. If I got offered lifetime service for $99, I would jump on it.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I've been on $6.95 for years on my TiVoHD. I might have to give this a whirl too. Withi a backup taken and an expanded drive....my TiVo's lifetime should easily be more than 14 months.....
Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
JPA2825

Anyone actually get this to work? I have 2 TiVo HDs that I would switch from $6.95 MSD to $99 in a heartbeat.
JPA2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA2825 View Post
Anyone actually get this to work? I have 2 TiVo HDs that I would switch from $6.95 MSD to $99 in a heartbeat.
I wish I could get the 6.95 monthly but wouldn't hesitate to get the $99 lifetime. The best offer I have on my HDXL is $9.95/ month or $99/yr.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA2825 View Post
Just the OP is all I have seen. Everybody with a TiVoHD on monthly or unsubscribed reading this offer wants the same thing but I don't have a clue how to proceed.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
atlynch
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Just the OP is all I have seen. Everybody with a TiVoHD on monthly or unsubscribed reading this offer wants the same thing but I don't have a clue how to proceed.
Just got my three Tivo HD's lifetime-ed for $99 each, and I was only calling to cancel the one I replaced with a Premiere....

-D
Motorola M Cablecards on Comcast Cable
atlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
Chris Gerhard

I called and spoke with a CSR, Patrick, my unsubscribed box doesn't qualify for $99 lifetime, it hasn't been subscribed in some time but I didn't really understand how it might have qualified. Nothing lost other than waiting on the phone.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
uw69

Just got off the phone, got the $99 lifetime on my Tivo HD.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
ebf

Hum, this is interesting... Wouldn't it be better to hang on to your $6.95/mo plan and swap in a new model down the road. Thus getting new tech at the old (monthly) price? Or have all the service changes of recent years eliminated that as an option? I too have an HD at $6.95/mo (I swapped out a Series2 for the HD two years ago). If the $6.95 can't be moved anymore, I guess $99 Lifetime would be a deal. But if I can buy a Series5 (or whatever) in the future and swap it in at $6.95, I'd rather hang on to the $6.95 plan.
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a S2 I'm also paying $7/mo for and haven't used in over a year. It's not even plugged in right now. I really need to cancel it or give it to a family member or something. Right now it's just a big waste of money.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf View Post
Hum, this is interesting... Wouldn't it be better to hang on to your $6.95/mo plan and swap in a new model down the road. Thus getting new tech at the old (monthly) price? Or have all the service changes of recent years eliminated that as an option? I too have an HD at $6.95/mo (I swapped out a Series2 for the HD two years ago). If the $6.95 can't be moved anymore, I guess $99 Lifetime would be a deal. But if I can buy a Series5 (or whatever) in the future and swap it in at $6.95, I'd rather hang on to the $6.95 plan.
You would hardly be able to do a swap. You cannot even swap a Premiere onto a $6.95 plan. Premiere's have their own, higher rates. Future platforms are likely to have rates that are at least equal to the Premiere.By the way, the Premiere msd rate is over double your rate: $14.95 or so.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanezam203 View Post
I have an extra Tivo HD box I no longer use in a spare bedroom and the multi service discount of $6.95 ran out so I called in to cancel it and they offered me $99 lifetime.

At a point I should stop paying the $7 and cancel it or buy the lifetime, I just don't use it. I don't have any conflicts I care to go in the 2nd room and program and I just don't use the 2nd HD box anymore.

Any plans to communicate with a 2nd box better in the near future or no?
How does a Multi-Set Discount "run out"? Either you have a full price box (lifetimed at full price or monthly at full price) that qualifies you for MSD on additional boxes or you don't.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #20
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf View Post
Possibly, but only if TiVo will allow you to do the swap. My opinion, anybody with a properly working, healthy TiVoHD that can get this deal should do it. Sell it when the time comes to get a new box. A TiVoHD without lifetiime is worth next to nothing.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
You would hardly be able to do a swap. You cannot even swap a Premiere onto a $6.95 plan. Premiere's have their own, higher rates. Future platforms are likely to have rates that are at least equal to the Premiere.By the way, the Premiere msd rate is over double your rate: $14.95 or so.
You used to be able to when the Premiere was first released. I have one launch Premiere on the $6.95 that switched over from one of my TiVoHD boxes. I had a couple of other TiVoHD boxes with the $6.95 plan but I got lifetime for those Premieres that replaced them.

I think it's better to get the Lifetime for $99 now. Then when/if somethign new comes along, you can just sell the Premiere with Lifetime and use that to cover most of the cost of the new box. There is no way to know what deal TiVo will offer in the future. But there is typically a nice market for used TiVos with Lifetime service. I sold my old S3/TiVoHD boxes with Lifetime to finace most of the cost of my new premieres. And my plan is also to sell at least two of my Lifetime Premieres to finance my purchase of the Quad tuner TiVo.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You used to be able to when the Premiere was first released. I have one launch Premiere on the $6.95 that switched over from one of my TiVoHD boxes. I had a couple of other TiVoHD boxes with the $6.95 plan but I got lifetime for those Premieres that replaced them.

I think it's better to get the Lifetime for $99 now. Then when/if somethign new comes along, you can just sell the Premiere with Lifetime and use that to cover most of the cost of the new box. There is no way to know what deal TiVo will offer in the future. But there is typically a nice market for used TiVos with Lifetime service. I sold my old S3/TiVoHD boxes with Lifetime to finace most of the cost of my new premieres. And my plan is also to sell at least two of my Lifetime Premieres to finance my purchase of the Quad tuner TiVo.
Has anybody been able to get lifetime for $99 on a Premiere? I don't think it is all $6.95 monthly users that are able to get $99 lifetime, I think it only works with older boxes. If it is possible with the Premiere, great, that is an even better deal, the box is newer and will likely last longer.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #23
blacknoi

Interesting. I have a TivoHD on the $6.95 month plan MSD (S3 as a primary unit, already lifetimed).

Seems like it'd be worth it just for the resale value.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
mammoth6

I am curious exactly what you guys had to say in order to get this deal. Tivo CSR told me that I could pay $12.95 per month (what I currently pay), $499 for lifetime, or I could call them back when i was ready to cancel. He said that was the best they could do. I've been paying $12.95 per month since 10/07 so maybe they feel like they've gotten everything they wanted out of me....
mammoth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #25
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have a S2 I'm also paying $7/mo for and haven't used in over a year. It's not even plugged in right now. I really need to cancel it or give it to a family member or something. Right now it's just a big waste of money.

Dan
Dan-

You can still sub an S3 or THD for that unit and keep the $6.95/mo. Then, you could take advantage of the $99 Lifetime and sell it for about $350 on the 'bay.

I have a THD on $6.95 and a Premiere. I am going to call and see what they can do for me.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
HiDefGator

are you sure this $99 lifetime special deal follows the box to the next user? that just seems like too good of a deal to be true.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #27
jfh3

This offer is for:

- those that were on three year prepaid plans with a THD and reactivating the box.

OR

- Those on the $6.95 plan that are cancelling that plan AND adding a new Premiere. (e.g. move a THD from a $6.95 plan to lifetime for $99 AND buy a new Premiere with a new, current plan).

Tivo is apparently getting a lot of calls because of this thread (I presume), but if you don't fit into one of those two categories, the $99 offer doesn't apply.

(And yes, it stays with the box, not the account, just like any other lifetime box)

Last edited by jfh3 : 09-02-2011 at 05:13 PM.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
Dan-

You can still sub an S3 or THD for that unit and keep the $6.95/mo. Then, you could take advantage of the $99 Lifetime and sell it for about $350 on the 'bay.
Is there a good deal on a standalone HD/Premiere out there anywhere? One that doesn't require a contract and that I can just transfer my $6.95/mo sub to?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Is there a good deal on a standalone HD/Premiere out there anywhere? One that doesn't require a contract and that I can just transfer my $6.95/mo sub to?
It would have to be an original Series 3 or a THD. The $6.95 plan cannot be transferred to a Premiere.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #30
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth6 View Post
I am curious exactly what you guys had to say in order to get this deal. Tivo CSR told me that I could pay $12.95 per month (what I currently pay), $499 for lifetime, or I could call them back when i was ready to cancel. He said that was the best they could do. I've been paying $12.95 per month since 10/07 so maybe they feel like they've gotten everything they wanted out of me....
Good question and I don't have any idea why you wouldn't qualify. I don't recall if lifetime was an option when you subscribed in Oct. 2007 but if it wasn't, you should be exactly the customer that qualifies for this offer in my opinion. I didn't think I qualified and when it was denied for me, I just accepted I didn't meet the necessary criteria.