TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Banner ads gone? Unintended negative consequences

So I noticed recently that when I hit pause on a show, I no longer get the pop-up menu ads.

That sounds great, but there's one bad thing about it. I have always used "Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select", which causes the playback bar to disappear very quickly when you hit pause. The setting remains until you reboot the Tivo, at which point you have to reenter the key sequence.

BUT...it seems like the setting won't take if you try to do it while watching a program that doesn't have banner ads. Since now it seems like banner ads are gone, it looks like it's now impossible to turn on the "quick disappear" option.

Does anybody have any work-around? There is a similar thread on the TivoHD thread, where someone suggested finding a show that has the banner ads. However, I was able to find some with banner ads on my TivoHD, but can't find any on my Premier.

Any suggestions on how to get the "quick disappear" working again? After being used to it for so long, the regular operation is maddening because the time bar always seems to be overlapping something that I want to see.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
moyekj

Yes I use S-P-S-P-S setting all the time as well as I hate the TiVo trick play overlays sticking around too long. I had some trouble entering the code over the weekend following a reboot of my Premiere because as you said the "banner ad" no longer shows up. But with perseverance I did get the setting to stick eventually even though I never got a banner ad. Can't tell you exactly how. What I tried was mimicking as if banner ads were still popping up. i.e. something like following sequence:
pause
clear
down arrow
play
clear
S-P-S-P-S sequence
play

I don't think it took first couple of tries but eventually I did get it to stick somehow. Not sure exactly what sequence made it work or how many times I tried but it is in effect right now.

NOTE: I don't like TiVo sounds so I have sounds turned off as well which probably makes things harder since apparently if you have TiVo sounds enabled you get a triple-beep confirmation once a setting is toggled. If you have sounds enabled do you get the confirmation when entering this S-P-S sequence?

PS I wish this was a "sticky" setting like 30ss became.

My guess is lack of banner ads is probably a technical glitch on TiVo side and we will see them come back sooner than later... I don't mind if they do as this S-P-S sequence effectively nulls them out anyway.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-29-2011 at 09:01 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Hmmm...I've been trying different sequences over and over, but still can't get it to work
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
moyekj

Well, I was just going to try and figure it out but now I see banner ads are back for me which makes toggling same as it used to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
wickerbill

If you have a harmony remote (and maybe some other programmable remotes) you can program the pause button to do pause and then down to hide the banner ads. I have a series 3 so I can't say for sure this will work with the premiere, but it works well for the series 3 and you don't lose the playback bar.
wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
If you have a harmony remote (and maybe some other programmable remotes) you can program the pause button to do pause and then down to hide the banner ads. I have a series 3 so I can't say for sure this will work with the premiere, but it works well for the series 3 and you don't lose the playback bar.
The whole point of this S-P-S code is to get rid of the annoying playback bar which hangs around way too long by default. The fact that it also effectively gets rid of pause ads is another big bonus.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
rainwater

Software updates tend to remove the banner ads until the next connection to the TiVo servie occurs. I'm pretty sure this always happens. I don't think TiVo removed them for a few days, but your box just didn't have the ads downloaded anymore.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
innocentfreak

TiVodesign did recently ask on twitter how everyone felt about the more info about this show option on the pause screen. It seemed most either never used it or hated it so maybe they turned it off.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

It is gone on my Series 2 which has gotten no software updates in a very long time. I think that supports the "it was turned off" theory.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
TiVodesign did recently ask on twitter how everyone felt about the more info about this show option on the pause screen. It seemed most either never used it or hated it so maybe they turned it off.
I know *I* certainly hate those "on pause" things. Indeed they certainly seem to be "off" again after the 14.8.c update. But like rainwater said, it might just be because it hasn't loaded them all back from the servers again.

If they were gone forever, it would be very, very nice.

--edit---

Nope, they are back again

Last edited by crxssi : 08-30-2011 at 07:37 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I just use "Clear" to get rid of the pause bar when I don't want it there.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I just use "Clear" to get rid of the pause bar when I don't want it there.
I do too, but it is irritating to have to do it over and over and over again.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
daveak
Series 3 Novice

I do miss the 'more info about' whatever show you are watching. Nice to just pause and click once to go to TiVo Search and check an actor's name or other info - or even to set another recording or wishlist quickly. Will that be back?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I do too, but it is irritating to have to do it over and over and over again.
That is irritating. This S-P-S sequence is available to get rid of that irritation.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #15
theGman911

I am also thrilled they are gone! I also hated the ads in the main TiVo menu on the bottom.

My remedy for a situation where the pause bar is covering something is to just tap fast forward. The TiVo skips ahead one frame and the pause bar disappears.

I hope they stay gone, and TiVo adds the pause bar extras as an "option" for people that actually like it.
theGman911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Ixne

Hmmm, I still get the ads when pausing (like a coupon for Bounty towels or the Lincoln MKX) but no Extras. The least they could have done is take away the ads as well...
Ixne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
innocentfreak

Looks like I was right.

TiVoDesign on Twitter
Quote:
@Gashousebob We turned it off.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
ufo4sale

I want the more info option back. It' was way more convenient to find out what actor, director, etc. was in the show or movie you’re watching then having to search for it. Can you please bring that back at least? To me this is a MAJOR step backwards not forwards.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
innocentfreak

You don't have to search for it. It is still there just not on the pause screen at least in the HDUI. Just select explore this show.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
You don't have to search for it. It is still there just not on the pause screen at least in the HDUI. Just select explore this show.
Not quite as convenient, but doable. More info please.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
Not quite as convenient, but doable. More info please.
Not sure what info you want. On every recorded show in the HDUI, it has an option for explore this show. It goes play, delete now, bonus features, explore this show, and more options. .

On the explore this show screen it gives you options for get this show, upcoming, episodes, Cast, bonus features, and if you like this....

As far as I know that covers everything the more info offered.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
ufo4sale

Quote:
Not sure what info you want. On every recorded show in the HDUI, it has an option for explore this show. It goes play, delete now, bonus features, explore this show, and more options. .

On the explore this show screen it gives you options for get this show, upcoming, episodes, Cast, bonus features, and if you like this....

How do you get more info about a show that you are watching live without searching for it
Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #23
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
How do you get more info about a show that you are watching live without searching for it
What is this live TV you are referring to? I haven't watched anything live in 10 years.

Unfortunately since those menus are still in SD, I just tried it and can't find a way.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
People watch "live" TV on a TiVo? I don't think I have watched "live" TV in 10+ years, other than what might be on the screen when I first turn my TV on.... But if you just go to the guide, it will land you directly on what you are watching. Select it, then request "more info". Or you press "info" on the remote, then navigate from there. Either way, no searching required. I don't see why it needs to be on a "pause" menu.

Still, it would be better if TiVo would stop making unilateral design decisions and, instead, give the OPTION to the user under settings. Imagine that- the ability to customize the UI yourself for the way you want to use it.... nah.

Anyway, I don't see the point of them removing something that MIGHT have been useful for some people, while leaving something that is always UNUSEFUL for everyone (the stupid pause ads). Had they removed all the overlay crap, that would have at least made sense.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #25
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:

I know. I just liked the option right there on the screen when paused, but if I'm the minority then so be it. I liked being able to jump right to TiVo Search and will miss it.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
ufo4sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
People watch "live" TV on a TiVo? I don't think I have watched "live" TV in 10+ years, other than what might be on the screen when I first turn my TV on.... But if you just go to the guide, it will land you directly on what you are watching. Select it, then request "more info". Or you press "info" on the remote, then navigate from there. Either way, no searching required. I don't see why it needs to be on a "pause" menu.

Still, it would be better if TiVo would stop making unilateral design decisions and, instead, give the OPTION to the user under settings. Imagine that- the ability to customize the UI yourself for the way you want to use it.... nah.

Anyway, I don't see the point of them removing something that MIGHT have been useful for some people, while leaving something that is always UNUSEFUL for everyone (the stupid pause ads). Had they removed all the overlay crap, that would have at least made sense.
Your wrong. If you press info on the remote, while watching live tv, there is no option that says "more info". Show me a screencap or something that says it does. I don't see that option.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #27
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Your wrong. If you press info on the remote, while watching live tv, there is no option that says "more info". Show me a screencap or something that says it does. I don't see that option.
Geesh, a little hostile! Yes, it was a mis-rememberence.

Skip that one and use my previous suggestion. Press guide, then select the program (which requires no searching) then select Other Options, then press Info and you have all the info about the program that I am aware of. Indeed it is a lot more steps.... would be nice if they give you the option for more info on the "info" screen that comes up on a program when you press "info" while watching it.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
ufo4sale

Tried the second option. No such luck.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
moyekj

My Premiere rebooted recently due to power outage and I couldn't get the SPSPS code entered because no banner ad. However, for whatever reason if I use kmttg iPad Remote Control SPSPS macro button it works. Can't explain why but at least I have a workaround to getting it working (for Premiere units that support the iPad protocol).

Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

How to Hide the Progress Bar

Here's how I was able to activate the undocumented feature that automatically hides the green progress bar during fast-forward, rewind, skip, and pause. It worked even after a TiVo service update disabled Showcase ads and the "pause menu".

While playing a recorded program or watching live TV, activate the Channel Banner by pressing Right (make sure just the banner is shown without the extra transparent info frame) then press Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select before the banner disappears in about 4 seconds.

The channel banner is only needed to activate the SPSPS code, not to de-activate it.

I've only tested this method on a Series 2 TiVo and would like to know if it worked reliably for others.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote