Bone marrow lover!

Several good ones listed here.

Prison Break
Weeds
Hereos
Lost
Nip/Tuck

are all slam dunks.

I just quit watching True Blood. I only liked season 1.
NatasNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "Heroes". SO GOOD during the first season. Completely sucked after that. Kept watching in hopes they'd be able to "fix" it, but they never did.
Heroes was amazing the first season., it was the best show on TV. They learned the wrong lessons from the first season, and also ended up juggling too many ideas/heroes/powers to keep coherent. Then it went from bad to worse.

Terminator, TSCC had a awesome pilot and a great finale, it just couldn't make enough of the shows in between individually interesting. The series didn't give the audience the entertainment needed to keep them interested over the long haul.

Flash Forward also started out with a great pilot, but couldn't make its audience care about what was going on with its characters. The reveals turned out not to be that interesting, cool or even well handled. And they hemmed and hawed around a simple, central question of cause, effect and the inevitability of the visions of the future coming to pass. That should have been decided definitively by the second episode. The conspiracy was also too mundane. And the show fell precipitously into the suck category.

Alias was able to sustain interest over a longer time, but should have gone with a new big bad every year. The whole Rambaldi thing was a bad idea to begin with and the show didn't know when to let it go.

Last edited by matt@thehickmans : 08-22-2011 at 12:59 PM.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #33
allan
I survived the Mayan

Heroes! Great first season, but after that,
Prison Break started great, but should have only gone 2 seasons at most.
24 was fantastic, but by the end, it was repetitive.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #34
cheesesteak
Meh.

Lone Star

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #35
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Ghost Whisperer. First and second season were pretty good, but after that it just went slowly downhill. The last two seasons were absolutely *horrible.* (Plus there was less and less JLH boobage as the seasons went on.)
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #36
BradJW

Yeah, Heroes - can't believe I missed that one.

For me, Sopranos only started sucking when everything went black and I realized it was over. I thought all the seasons were pretty darn good (even with Janice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I never watched a second of Prison Break, but I always wondered how they could make that into a multi-season show.

I see the OP say that they broke out, were on the run and then back in a different prison. How did the series end? Did they break out of the second prison and ride off into the sunset?
Season 1 - Break out of Fox River. Finale is the breakout.

Season 2 - On the run. Learn about a conspiracy. Finale almost all the cast is reunited in a prison in Panama.

Season 3 - Breakout of Panama Prison.

Season 4 - Unravel the conspiracy and use some cool Alias spy gadgets along the way. Seems like everyone is helping out with this. End of season, ride off into the sunset I think. There was a 2 hour Prison Break movie that takes place before the season 4 finale - was actually a decent movie.
BradJW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #37
Fahtrim

Heroes
Alias
Everwood
Smallville
Nip/Tuck
BSG
Prison Break
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Starz? Why not Burn in hell, RTD?
Too radical a departure from previous seasons. I think Starz beat RTD with a stick and forced him to create a crappy plot and ruin the show.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #39
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
M*A*S*H
Happy Days

All in the Family - after Edith left. Well, really after Gloria and Meathead left.

The Brady Bunch. The last season was pretty bad.

ER - not sure what season, but I watched from day one and it got lost somewhere along the way.

Definately Smallville and I still can't imagine why that is still on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #40
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Definately Smallville and I still can't imagine why that is still on.
It only feels like it is still on. You have Phantomzone Limb Syndrome.

Smallville is one of those shows that I kept watching because I had invested so much time already. Starting around season 4, I thought to myself "We'll this is going to be the last season, so I might as well see it through to the end." Thought the same thing the next season. And the one after that. Etc.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 08-22-2011 at 02:40 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
zalusky

Another vote for Nip/Tuck.
I would also add:
TSCC - Sarah Connor Chronicles (except for the last episode)
SNL almost always seems to be in this camp.
Dallas became a cartoon - (remember when Friday and Saturday nights had real shows).

A lot of these shows have the characteristic that they destroy any redeeming value of the main characters.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #42
scheckeNYK

Entourage is pretty awful nowadays
scheckeNYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
Amnesia
The Question

The L Word
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #44
danterner
Not it!

Northern Exposure

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #45
johnperkins21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
The Office...
Agreed. I'm hoping that it will get better now that Steve Carrell is gone though.

Also, Heroes. The last episode of the first season was terrible, and it just kept getting worse from there. What a huge letdown after a great start.

Damages. I really liked the first season, but I can't stand to look at Glenn Close, and find her character completely unlikeable. And it's not like I hate her, and can root against her, I just dislike her and am uninterested in her life. If she were gone, I'd be more interested in the show.
johnperkins21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #46
getreal
postcrastinator

Roswell
X-Files

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #47
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Obligatory SNL mention ()

Otherwise, Heroes, Alias, Prison Break, and Smallville all come to mind.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #48
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701 View Post
We usually do a thread like this every year or so, so I'll pull out my usual response.

Earth:Final Conflict. Season 1 laid the foundation for a really complex storyline. There was no specific character that was "good" or "bad"--everyone had their unique motivations and things were being driven by forces just off screen.

Then, in season 2, they decided the show had been too intelligent, scrapped a good chunk of what made the show interesting, replaced the main character with a jock, made the Taelons a more well defined "bad", and wrecked the series. And then it got progressively worse year to year, until season 5, where it was some wierd vampire hunter show with only one guy from the original cast.
I agree completely. The fist season, was all about Boone, then it was all about Zo'or and Da'an.

Don't forget about Andromeda. Eventually Kevin Sorbo just HAD to make himself a god (a Parameter?). He just HAD to! When they lost Tyr, they lost the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Nobody has mentioned BSG yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7 View Post
You beat me to it by two minutes! BIH Ron Moore!!
Battlestar Galactica went from SO good to bad, it really surprised me. The whole Baltar trial, the bit about the Tylium refinery, it just make me wonder what the heck happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbhimself View Post
i thought heroes was a great concept, they kind of blew it at the end of the first season and everything after
Yeah, when I think about series that went from good to bad, Heroes comes to the top of the list pretty quickly. It really shows what happens when the creators get messed with by the studios.

Along with these, I am reminded of:

Dark Angel
Mantis
Seaquest DSV

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #49
DeDondeEs

I agree with the Office. It has just gotten stupid over the past few years. I think Parks and Recreation took the torch from them when that show was in its second season, although I could see that show having a short shelf life.

I get frustrated when shows just don't know when to wrap things up. Like ER, or Desperate Housewives. After a while I get a vibe that the show is just on to to give the writers, cast, and crew a steady paycheck (and the network ratings). Yeah I know that is why all shows exist, but it just gets old when it is that apparent..
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #50
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Ok, I know I'm going way back, but its on Netflix streaming now. I remember clearly as a kid loving the first season (especially the pilot/movie), roller skating space girls "futuristic" dancing, and the Buck vs. the Princess storylines, then the second season I think they decided they needed to be Star Trek and went out into space to "explore", introduced "Hawk Man", and even as a kid I thought the episodes sucked.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #51
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybeleoc View Post
Big Love
Absolutely. +1
Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #52
mrdazzo7

Heroes x a million... that's the best example I can think of where a show went from really good and just unrelenting garbage in no time. I can't say I ever had "Lost" or "24" feelings towards Heroes, but I liked it and I was especially looking forward to how they would bring everything together in the first season finale. Easily one of the biggest disappointments I've seen to date, especially the outcome. I still regard season two of Heroes as one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life, and will always mark the first time in my long TV-viewing life that I fast forwarded through new episodes of a show (Hiro. 16th century Japan. Need I say more?).

#2 would be Prison Break. As far fetched as it was, the first two seasons were absolutely "escapism" TV at it's best (GET IT??). I can't say I absolutely hated everything about the rest of the show after that, but it definitely downgraded significantly. There were parts of season 3 that I liked, and season 4 had some ok stuff in it...but damn did it get old. Good example of an awesome concept that simply had limited run time.

#3 is Alias. Seasons 1 and 2 of that show were just so damn good, and that was my introduction into the awesomeness that JJ Abrahms is capable of. Everything was connected, the episodes all blended together, the tension was ramped up in every scene, and it culminated in one of my favorite season finales of all time (S2). And they followed it up with that god awful third season that made me want to kill myself. And then season 4 came in case my attempt failed. The first half of season five didn't do me any favors but once it came out that it was the last season and they came back from J-Gar's baby hiatus, that s*** was on fire. Very happy with the last five eps. Nothing compared to those first two seasons though.

I'll give honorable mention to the FX show "Lights Out". It's very rare that I start a show, get through six or seven episodes of it, and then quit--once I get that far in I almost always want to stick it out just to see (hence why I continued to watch Heroes up until the last three episodes)... but one day I turned around and had three eps to catch up on and with everything else I had going on, I just didn't care. I thought the first three episodes were great but it just dragged after that. No idea how it ended up.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #53
Doggie Bear

"24" has been mentioned a few times in this thread, which I find kind of interesting. I'd rate the quality of the seasons, from best to worst, as:

Spoiler:
(President Logan as the bad guy!)

Spoiler:
(Tony Almeida's motivation for betraying CTU/US actually made sense)

Spoiler:
(who can forget Mrs House of Sand and Fog wailing "Behroooooz"?)

Spoiler:
(the first true terrorism plotline)

Spoiler:
(the assassination plot)

Spoiler:
(Joaquim de Almeida sure seemed to enjoy himself as the bad guy)

6 was the worst by far
Spoiler:
(the lame shock killing of Curtis, the stupid Darth Vader dad storyline, the season finale, all of it sucked)

Doggie Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #54
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Prison Break- Great first season, ok second season and then just crap.

Nip/Tuck- Had two GREAT seasons and then went downhill slightly in season 3 and the last three were just awful.....awful.

Alias- Was a great show until season 5. Got redeemed towards the end of season 5.

Weeds- It was great, then bad once they let an Olsen twin on it. Now I'm enjoying it again.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #55
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Good one. I actually really liked the Carver storyline, but agree that after that it started to suck more and more. I actually still have the final 8 episodes on my Tivo -- haven't been able to bring myself to watch them. The characters just got so ponderously unlikeable that watching it began to feel like a chore. And the actors started phoning it in to varying degrees - Christian kept slipping in and out of an Australian accent.
You are not missing anything. I had to practically glue myself to the seat to get through the last season. It was so bad but I felt compelled not to give up on it. This show probably had the worst series finale of any show that got a real series finale. It was completely out of character for the show.

Truthfully, this makes me leery about watching anything from Ryan Murphy.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #56
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Lone Star

lol
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #57
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

[quote=TiVo'Brien;8668758]Ghost Whisperer. First and second season were pretty good, but after that it just went slowly downhill. The last two seasons were absolutely *horrible.* (Plus there was less and less JLH boobage as the seasons went on.)[/QUOTE

I gave up in the third season. The story was weak and I found JLH's hair to be such a distraction. In one season she had bangs, they should have gotten their own credit. They were so distracting.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #58
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Roswell
Everytime I think of the bad days of Roswell, I think of the infamous Snapple episode. I don't know what they were thinking.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #59
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheckeNYK View Post
Entourage is pretty awful nowadays
This is so spot on. That show wore it's welcome out pretty quickly.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #60
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
......ER - not sure what season, but I watched from day one and it got lost somewhere along the way. ...........
After Mark Green died, the show went with him.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote