TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #31
tomhorsley

And with android, you might even be able to run on your windows or linux desktop as well using the android emulator (there ain't no ipad emulator, at least no free one I've heard of).
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #32
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
And with android, you might even be able to run on your windows or linux desktop as well using the android emulator (there ain't no ipad emulator, at least no free one I've heard of).
Well speaking of that why the heck don't I have a Windows app (or Linux or Mac) that does this too so I can do it all from my laptop or desktop? It's just calls over the network to the ports being used...

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #33
brentil

Maybe we should start a new thread for all of this instead of continuing to derail this one...

Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #34
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Well speaking of that why the heck don't I have a Windows app (or Linux or Mac) that does this too so I can do it all from my laptop or desktop? It's just calls over the network to the ports being used...
Kmttg does many of these things and more in a desktop app. It is java based so not much in the way of a guy, but it works great.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #35
Hexerott

Using it on a Droid Bionic and love it. Thank you!

Edited to add: If only it could control my TV volume.

Last edited by Hexerott : 09-28-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Hexerott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
jakeridge

Great app but I have a question.

If I am using this app from outside my home on wireless internet or wifi what port do I need to forward through my router? I tried the 1413 port but that didnt work.

thanks
jakeridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #37
arantius

1413 it is.
arantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #38
pullmyfinger

Smile TV Volume and Power buttons gray'd out

Does anyone know why the Tivo Commander for DROID has the tv volume and power buttons dissabled? All of the other features are working perfectly, but I cant set the volume or power because those buttons on the DROID app are gray'd out.

Please advise, thanks..
pullmyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #39
arantius

This app controls your _TiVo_, not your _TV_, where volume and power (usually) happen.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #40
Dpordy99

sounds cool
Dpordy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #41
pullmyfinger

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post
This app controls your _TiVo_, not your _TV_, where volume and power (usually) happen.
If you look at the physical TIVO remote, it has these buttons and if you looked at the soft remote on this app it also has these buttons but they are grey'd out. So volume and power ALSO happen on a TIVO remote and I was wondering if anyone besides you can help answer this question. This seems like a great app, but it should also allow this remote feature that the TIVO remote allows.
pullmyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #42
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
If you look at the physical TIVO remote, it has these buttons and if you looked at the soft remote on this app it also has these buttons but they are grey'd out. So volume and power ALSO happen on a TIVO remote and I was wondering if anyone besides you can help answer this question. This seems like a great app, but it should also allow this remote feature that the TIVO remote allows.
How would you propose the phone send the commands to the TV? TiVo's own iPad app doesn't support what you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #43
weinberk
Confirmed Doofis

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post
Constructive feedback is welcomed.
It's working wonderfully here.

3 (nitpicky) suggestions:

1) Have the application switch between different tivos more easily. Currently you need to go to settings, select the tivo, then ok to the MAK. How about just having a simple drop down box that you can select between the multiple tivos? If a mak changes or something, then you'd need to go to settings, but how often does that really happen?? This would be just a bit more intuitive.

2) On all screens, show which tivo we're working with. This is especially important with the remote screen.

3) If at all possible, let us browse one tivo's recordings from another to initiate a MRV transfer to the room that we're in. That would be really cool.

Thanks so much for this wonderful program!

Last edited by weinberk : 11-18-2011 at 04:22 PM.
weinberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #44
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
So volume and power ALSO happen on a TIVO remote and I was wondering if anyone besides you can help answer this question.
No one else is going to give you a different answer. I could go into more detail, but it would come to the same end.

On a regular TiVo remote, most of the buttons do this:

Play --> infrared --> TiVo

while volume and power buttons do this:

Vol+ --> infrared --> TV

On a Slide remote with the Bluetooth adapter hooked up, most of the buttons do this:

Play --> BlueTooth --> TiVo

but volume and power still do this:

Vol+ --> infrared --> TV

It can do this because the Slide is still a fully-capable infrared remote. Now, let's take a look at a network remote. Most buttons do this:

Play --> TCP/IP --> TiVo

but volume and power do... nothing. Because you don't have an infrared port on the device where you're running the network remote, do you?* And you have no other way to talk to the TV.

The TiVo does not control the TV volume. The TiVo does not control the TV power. You can control these functions with a TiVo remote, because, and only because, the remote talks directly to the TV.

You can send volume and power codes to the TiVo with the network interface, and it will dutifully record them in its log of all your remote keystrokes. But that's all it can do with them.

An HDMI setup could theoretically change this situation... but as far as I know, TiVo has made no provision for that yet.

* And even if you do have an infrared port, it's probably not compatible. Back in the heyday of PDAs, they all came with IrDA ports, which were theoretically handy for talking to other PDAs or PCs, but generally wouldn't talk to TVs. There was a nice universal remote program for WinCE, but it didn't do anything on most PocketPCs, because the IrDA hardware wasn't up to the task of generating a signal a TV could understand. Nowadays, the Android phone that's replaced your PDA probably doesn't do infrared at all.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #45
zekeisaszekedoes

Virgin Media TiVo

Works great on a Virgin Media TiVo... thumbnails don't load but all the rest is fine as long as you manually enter IP/MAK/TSN details.

So it works on the LAN but now I'm trying to get it working across the WAN, so if I want to schedule a recording when I'm away from home I can, using 3G or someone elses WiFi. I've opened port 1413 but when port checking it with GRC ShieldsUp! site it says it is stealthed, as if the TiVo has a firewall or I need to open more ports on the router.

Any ideas?
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #46
Amnesia
The Question

The market link in the OP doesn't work...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #47
arantius

Late last night, TiVo sent a takedown request for this app to the Android Market, on trademark infringement claims. It was honored, and thus this app was removed.

Time will tell what happens to rectify this. If you have graphic design skills you could probably help me hasten that.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #48
moyekj

Sad day. For a long time now TiVo has stopped promoting any kind of 3rd development, and now they are actively campaigning against it. Oh well it was nice while it lasted...

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #49
innocentfreak

Wow that is bad. Did you use any files or images from TiVo? Unless they had a problem with the name and they are afraid it will be confused with the official TiVo app which may be on the way.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #50
brentil

I'm actually rather surprised it's taken this long for them to request it removed as the images & logos used looked exactly like theirs. I finish my masters this semester so if I have time afterwards I'd like to pitch in myself to help.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #51
lart2150
tivo>lart<linux

lame move tivo. On a side note I was able to download, compile, and side load from source.

Was the take down in regards to the image of the remote?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #52
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Is the .apk available anywhere?

Edit: Answered my own question https://github.com/arantius/TiVo-Commander/downloads

|
|
|

Last edited by megazone : 12-03-2011 at 03:36 AM.
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #53
jqkurz

Just loaded it on my Kindle Fire and it works great. Thanks.
jqkurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqkurz View Post
Just loaded it on my Kindle Fire and it works great. Thanks.
Thanks for the info. If I get a fire this is what I will use it for.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #55
fergiet

Great little app. Hope you get it sorted.

fergiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #56
aaronwt
HD Addict

Has any one used TiVo commander on a Pandigital Novel eReader? I just picked one up from NewEgg for $70. You are supposed to be able to put android 2.1 on it so I'm hoping TiVo commander will work fine on it. I figure I only plan to use it with the TiVo. Then when the larger Kindle Fire comes out next year I will pick that up.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

This is great. I got this working on my $70 Pandigital Novel(7 inch White). I'm glad I was able to get this to work instead of paying $200 for the Kindle Fire
Old 12-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #58
thatwilsonguy

Is there any possibility of creating an app for Google TV that uses the same method for searching Tivo's DVR as Tivo commander and adding it to the search results on Google TV?
thatwilsonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #59
brentil

arantius, do you have a a To Do list or bug list you want help working on? I just synced your newest version with the basic remote in it and want to contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
Is there any possibility of creating an app for Google TV that uses the same method for searching Tivo's DVR as Tivo commander and adding it to the search results on Google TV?
That sounds very possible to work on as the new Android tools add Google TV as a development source to work against.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #60
arantius

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
arantius, do you have a a To Do list or bug list you want help working on? I just synced your newest version with the basic remote in it and want to contribute.
Master no longer has the self-made icons and crappy remote, FWIW.

But: Not really. I've got a few TODO comments in the code, and https://github.com/arantius/TiVo-Commander/issues . As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, some users would like to see the guide, the todo/season pass list, and related management features (remove scheduled recordings?).

But at least for now I can't distribute this, so take that into account before you invest your time.