TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
BH9244

Continuing Saga of my HDXL and S03 Error

I have two HDXL units both of which have consistantly displayed a frustrating pattern. This (from what I have read here) seems to be a chronic software based issue with these units TIVO support of course takes the easy way out and simply declares it to be a physical hard drive issue, I am skeptical.. I'm hoping that others may have experienced the same problem and might have some suggestions to work around or solve it ..

What seems to happen and the units have done so for at least the past year..

The unit completes daily download however the "program data to" does not advance, after a restart the program data to" advances properly. I have read that there may possibly be a connection to the "GC" or garbage collection function, I also have a Premier Unit on which the GC seems to run approximately once a day, however on the HDXL units usually it remains on the initial date, approximately 30 days past the last GC date I then start getting the S03 error. My solution to this has been the "Clear SP,to do list etc. This ends up being a 12 hr process then many more hours redoing the SP list etc, Tivo's SP manager is of some help but is frustrating in that when you copy back to the unit the priority order is completely different from what has beeen saved off, so that any time savings from the transfer is negated by having to reorder them over again.

When I do this reset I follow this order..

1. Copy my Season Pass List to a dummy entry on Tivo SP Manager.
2. Run Clear SP and To do Lists
3. Clear residual SP that #2 did not clear, these left over entrys appear in name only but do not seem functional.
4. Run Guided setup
5. Re Start system.

In the most recent episode of this following the re run of guided set up I initially had 1 day of program data which the season pass list seemed to successfully work with, overnight it claims to have download a full update with program data for the next two weeks however none of the SP's seem to see any programming past the initial 1 day, if I go to find programs and alphabetically find one of my SP' shows future episodes show up for the upcoming 2 weeks if searched for by date and time..

HELP !!!!. Any ideas sincerely appreciated...
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Eccles
Mostly harmless

I feel your pain - I've experienced the same problem several times now. I finally found this thread which you may already have found. I've started manually purging my Recently Deleted folder daily, and hope that my GC date will start to increment soon.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
ravingfans

S03 Error Solution

I'm posting this in all the S03 threads I found, since it is so frustrating:

Through a LOT of trail and error, I've discovered increasing the swap space to 2000 or 2GB allows TiVo to connect to the TiVo Servers and process the large program guide data update. I don't know if you can do this on an existing disk--seems doubtful to me. I used WinMFS on a new disk and have had no problems since. On the same disk I had the trouble with smaller swap partitions, especially the default.
ravingfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
trackie999

ravingfans,

Would you confirm that on your tivo
- Guide Information To date was not updating even though you made daily calls.
- GC date was stuck in the past
- You have a Tuning Adapter hooked up

I want to make sure your fix resolves the issue discussed in this thread. Thank you for your find and am very hopeful
trackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
ravingfans

For me, I went through a long period (approx 1 yr) where I got the Program Info Running Out message. The only solution I got to work was the bi-weekly reboot to get fresh program data. During that period, the Tivo was connecting to the server successfully and did not list an error.

I'm not sure what the GC Date is/was--perhaps I could plug my old disks in and check if I can bypass the Guided Setup loop somehow--haven't been able to over come that after trying fakecall

About 3 months ago, the S03 error surfaced and then I had to dig through the forums. One late night when I was tired, some forum entry said something about Guided Setup which was disastrous, because then I was stuck in the endless reboot loop trying to setup, but unable to because of S03.

I do have a Tuning Adapter as well as 2 Cable Cards from TimeWarner

Separately, I experimented with adding an eSATA drive which didn't work out, so now have to find a way to divorce the drive--neither TiVo or WinMFS is coorperating. So need to work out that problem before can report
GC Date. If you can help with suggestions on that side issue, I can confirm GC quicker

ravingfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Bernardski

I have an HD TIVO which has been displaying the Program Info Running Out message for a bit. Yesterday I got the S03 message. TIVO support had me do the 57 rekick but I continued getting the S03 problem. I did the deletion of all stored programs, todo lists, etc.. Did the 57 rekick again. I no longer get the S03 error, but no programs are available in the FIND option. According to the TIVO support it did only a partial download, I have done another download and the data is not yet available. My next step is to call a support number or buy a Time Warner DVR...
Bernardski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Bernardski

Well I got a very knowledgeable support person when I called TIVO. What a pleasant surprise. The next step I had to do was just the Repeat Guided Setup. So in summary these are the steps that worked:

1. TIVO Central>Messages & Settings>Restart or Reset System>Clear Program Information & TO DO List

2. Rekick 57 (see http://dreadnaught.wordpress.com/200...ivo-error-s03/)

3. TIVO Central>Messages & Settings>Settings>Connect to the TIVO Service Now

4. TIVO Central>Messages & Settings> Restart or Reset System>Repeat Guided Setup

All seems OK at this time. Time will tell.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Bernardski

Well its end of the road for us and the TIVO HD.. and probably TIVO in general.
TIVO did what they could... They sent a replacement TIVO HD to me for $50. Unfortunately, it went to someone in San Fran, but I live in Texas. So they sent me another one for $0 this time. After a day of working with Time Warner and TIVO support the replacement TIVO HD was completely worthless. It could never even finish booting without rebooting. I am currently trying the new Whole House DVR from Time Warner. The programming is still not as slick as TIVO, but far better than the Verizon FIOS. TIVO better get its act together, I am going to drop all my TIVOs (3 of them). I have had them since TIVO started, but Time Warner with their tuning adapters and cable cards just made me say uncle...