TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
DrDatabase

Mysterious random recording on xl4

Help. My XL4 is acting very strangely. It will randomly take up a tuner as those its recording a show (usually a random SD channel I never watch) and indicate it is recording it. You then check My Shows and the supposed channel it's recording is not listed so you can't stop the recording. You can switch to the the channel it says it's recording but you can't change it. You can rewind/fast forward the recording. Once it's done it is not saved in my shows. These recordings are not programmed by me or the result of wishlist or suggestions which is turned off.

It can happen to up to 3 tuners at a time which is very frustrating. The only way I can clear these phantom recordings is to restart the TiVo or power cycle the tuning adapter.

This just started happen a couple of months back on an xl4 that had run great for a year.

Provider is Cox Orange County, CA
DrDatabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDatabase View Post
Help. My XL4 is acting very strangely. It will randomly take up a tuner as those its recording a show (usually a random SD channel I never watch) and indicate it is recording it. You then check My Shows and the supposed channel it's recording is not listed so you can't stop the recording. You can switch to the the channel it says it's recording but you can't change it. You can rewind/fast forward the recording. Once it's done it is not saved in my shows. These recordings are not programmed by me or the result of wishlist or suggestions which is turned off.

It can happen to up to 3 tuners at a time which is very frustrating. The only way I can clear these phantom recordings is to restart the TiVo or power cycle the tuning adapter.

This just started happen a couple of months back on an xl4 that had run great for a year.

Provider is Cox Orange County, CA

Is this the TeleWorld Paid Program that it records in the middle of the night, or something else entirely?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
DrDatabase

No its random SD channels like local abc, cbs, nbc or cable channels like hbo, fx, espn, cnn etc.. It's never HD channels just SD. It has totally stumped me.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
moose53

Sounds like my mobility scooter when I take the trash out ... all of a sudden I'm going backwards.

Are you near TV or radio transmitters that could be sending out signal interference??
Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
richbrew
TiVo Fan

This sounds almost like something I have seen occasionally. I have seen where TiVo tries to record a suggestion on a channel that I have selected in channels, but don't actually get. Since there is no signal, you can't ff/rw, and no recording is saved. Have you checked in the suggestions folder to see if there is something recording in there?
richbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
celtic pride

If you have tivo suggestions turned on turn it off.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrew View Post
This sounds almost like something I have seen occasionally. I have seen where TiVo tries to record a suggestion on a channel that I have selected in channels, but don't actually get. Since there is no signal, you can't ff/rw, and no recording is saved. Have you checked in the suggestions folder to see if there is something recording in there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
If you have tivo suggestions turned on turn it off.
He already stated that Suggestions are off. My initial thought was the same as Unitron, but the more I read, the less likely that was. The Teleworld program exhibits this behavior, IIRC, but since the OP states this happens on up to 3 tuners at once, on varying stations, it's not Teleworld.

Really odd that the recordings aren't kept. It's clear there's a video signal on those channels, since the OP indicates he can FFWD/REW the channel.

The only thing I would suggest is to turn on Suggestions for a few days, see what happens, and then turn them off again. Maybe it's a quirk in the software such that it's scheduling Suggestions, recording them, but not displaying the recordings in the Suggestions folder since they are supposedly off.

Another thing to test. When you see it happen again, start recordings on the other available tuners, and then try to change the channel. If it's the theoretical Suggestion quirk I've mentioned, it should change the "unavailable" tuner and stop the recording.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
DrDatabase

Thanks all for the input. I can record on available tuners when this happens without a problem. The phantom recordings are of actual programming that is on the channel. I can switch to an available tuner when this is happening and verify.

Suggestions is currently off but I will try to turn them on for a few days and off again and report what happens.

No radio interference that I can detect and the TiVo is cabled to home network not wifi'ed.