TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
chazzmani

TiVo S-Video Input not working (Series 2)

I cannot seem to get my TiVo's 'S-Video In' to work. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

My connection path is as follows...

Wall cable (which is digital cable) to Cable box via coaxial cable,
Cable box to TiVo via Yellow RCA Cable (***this is where I would prefer S-Video***)
TiVo to TV via S-Video (this S-Video connection works fine)

So I fear that the weakest link in the system is the RCA from Cable Box to TiVo and I fear that I am losing picture quality (maybe not). I just don't know why I cannot get the 'S-Video In' to work here. Any ideas?

Thank you kindly...

Last edited by chazzmani : 02-12-2007 at 04:39 PM.
chazzmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Try using composite video cable (RCA connectors) from TiVo to TV. Does that work?
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
chazzmani

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Try using composite video cable (RCA connectors) from TiVo to TV. Does that work?
If you refer to the single (typically yellow) RCA cable, that DOES work fine but why would I want to use a lesser connection?

Last edited by chazzmani : 02-12-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Composite is single yellow RCA cable. Otherwise you might need to have S-Video from cable box to TiVo and also from TiVo to TV. The picture quality difference is negligible, IMO.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
chazzmani

Quote:
Otherwise you might need to have S-Video from cable box to TiVo and also from TiVo to TV. The picture quality difference is negligible, IMO.
Perhaps my post wasn't clear.

The TiVo's S-Video OUT (the connection from my TiVo to my TV) works fine.

The TiVo's S-Video IN (the connection from my cable box to my TiVo) is the problem.

Because the S-Video input isn't working, I use the RCA composite cable from my cable box to TiVo and figured I must be losing something.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

IIRC, when I had my series2 TiVo connected and used S-Video in and out, I had to go into a TiVo menu and make a setting so that the TiVo would use the S-Video input. Look for that setting.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 02-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
chazzmani

Quote:
IIRC, when I had my series2 TiVo connected and used S-Video in and out, I had to go into a TiVo menu and make a setting so that the TiVo would use the S-Video input. Look for that setting.
Ahhh.... really? If that's true, I did not know that. I wouldn't have imagined that you have to go in manually to specify your input connection.

Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks for all of your help!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

I plugged in my series2 which is no longer in service and running older software v7.3.1. I found the menu under Messages & Settings/Settings/Video/Video Hookup.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
jtown

Also make sure the cable box is using the s-video output. (Plug it straight into the TV since you already know the TV's input is working.) If you don't get a picture, check the cable box settings menu for video output options. You may need to tell it which output to use.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
chazzmani

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown
Also make sure the cable box is using the s-video output. (Plug it straight into the TV since you already know the TV's input is working.) If you don't get a picture, check the cable box settings menu for video output options. You may need to tell it which output to use.
Thanks... I DID confirm that this does work. When I use S-Video from Cable Box to TV directly, it looks great. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
chazzmani

Quote:
I plugged in my series2 which is no longer in service and running older software v7.3.1. I found the menu under Messages & Settings/Settings/Video/Video Hookup.
OK... I found that section in the setup, but all it does is try to guide me through using composite video cabling.

It shows me a picture where it tells me to use all composite cables and says "make sure your composite connection is set up like this". Then it asks "Do you see video playing". No matter what I do or how I answer, I never see an option to use S-Video. There must be SOMETHING I can do to make TiVo recognise that I am trying to use S-Video In... else it wouldn't have the connection in the back.

Last edited by chazzmani : 02-12-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

When you try Video Hookup make sure the S-Video cable from the cable box is hooked up to the TiVo's input and the composite is not. If that fails, try running Guided Setup again.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 AM   #13
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzmani
OK... I found that section in the setup, but all it does is try to guide me through using composite video cabling.

It shows me a picture where it tells me to use all composite cables and says "make sure your composite connection is set up like this". Then it asks "Do you see video playing". No matter what I do or how I answer, I never see an option to use S-Video. There must be SOMETHING I can do to make TiVo recognise that I am trying to use S-Video In... else it wouldn't have the connection in the back.
On the screen that shows the the picture of the cables, are you pressing the up/down arrows to change picture to the one that does show an s-video connection?
NoCleverUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
hforman

If You Still Are Having This Problem

I know this thread is from long ago. However, if you are using the S-video connector and are having this issue, another way to get by is to DISCONNECT the audio cables (either end). If the Tivo sees ordinary audio cables, it makes an assumption that you are using the old style connections. So, if you are doing S-Video, make sure that the other connections are not there and disconnect your audio cables.

I didn't know the one about using up/down arrow when you get the diagram but I'm not seeing the diagram either.

Howie

Pioneer 810-HS with 500gb disk (hers)
Sony Ser. 1 (mine)
hforman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
unitron

When you set up an S1 or S2 to use a cable box or satellite receiver, you must have a video signal from that device going into the input you wish to use on the TiVo, or it won't set it up that way.

This also holds true if you're going to lie about having satellite service in order to be able to record whatever's on the line-in inputs when you tune to Channel 1.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #16
hforman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you set up an S1 or S2 to use a cable box or satellite receiver, you must have a video signal from that device going into the input you wish to use on the TiVo, or it won't set it up that way.

This also holds true if you're going to lie about having satellite service in order to be able to record whatever's on the line-in inputs when you tune to Channel 1.
I know that. This is why I suggested removing ONLY the audio cables (temporarily) and NOT the S-Video VIDEO cable. Works for me.

Pioneer 810-HS with 500gb disk (hers)
Sony Ser. 1 (mine)
hforman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforman View Post
I know that. This is why I suggested removing ONLY the audio cables (temporarily) and NOT the S-Video VIDEO cable. Works for me.
But you are not the OP

Nor are you a future searcher who doesn't yet have the line inputs working.

Further, I doubt your premise that use of the red and white jacks makes the TiVo assume that the yellow jack is the one to use.

It's been my experience that if it detects a signal on the composite jack it goes with that and if it detects a signal on the S-Video jack it goes with that, and just expects the audio to be on red and white either way, because that's the only place it could be.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 10-18-2014 at 06:43 PM.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote