TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
jackpollack

Series 1 daily call never completes

I have a Tivo Series 1 (model PTV300, software ver 3.0.01-1) with CacheCard and upgraded hard drive that has been chugging along great for years. A few weeks ago I started to get a message that the daily call was failing. The test call works fine but repeated attempts of the daily call always fails. Sometimes it gets as far as 80% indexing but never completes. The two errors I see are “Failed while loading series” and “call interrupted” (I see this long after the ‘call’ when all data has been download and when it is way into the indexing process). In desperation I tried a kick start 57 which put me in a GSOD loop that I couldn’t recover from.

I restored a known good backup from years ago to a brand new drive (actually now have tried 2 new drives) and as per some Internet research I increased the swap file partition to 128MB for the 120GB hard drive I am using.

I still can not complete the daily call indexing and the kick start 57 still GSOD loops. I have also tried to redo guided setup and also done a complete erase/reset of data but cant complete the calls needed to get through setup.

I’m baffled as I know the backup I have has worked in the ancient past and two brand new hard drives from different manufactures can’t both have problems. Anyone have any ideas? Also any ideas why I cant recover from a kick start 57 (I would love to fix that while I have everything open)?
jackpollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpollack View Post
I have a Tivo Series 1 (model PTV300, software ver 3.0.01-1) with CacheCard and upgraded hard drive that has been chugging along great for years. A few weeks ago I started to get a message that the daily call was failing. The test call works fine but repeated attempts of the daily call always fails. Sometimes it gets as far as 80% indexing but never completes. The two errors I see are “Failed while loading series” and “call interrupted” (I see this long after the ‘call’ when all data has been download and when it is way into the indexing process). In desperation I tried a kick start 57 which put me in a GSOD loop that I couldn’t recover from.

I restored a known good backup from years ago to a brand new drive (actually now have tried 2 new drives) and as per some Internet research I increased the swap file partition to 128MB for the 120GB hard drive I am using.

I still can not complete the daily call indexing and the kick start 57 still GSOD loops. I have also tried to redo guided setup and also done a complete erase/reset of data but cant complete the calls needed to get through setup.

I’m baffled as I know the backup I have has worked in the ancient past and two brand new hard drives from different manufactures can’t both have problems. Anyone have any ideas? Also any ideas why I cant recover from a kick start 57 (I would love to fix that while I have everything open)?
The problem is probably on TiVo's end.

Lots of S1 owners run into the same thing year after year.

Even though you're using

,#401

as a dial prefix to get it use the cache card instead (try it with and without the ram installed), I think I remember reading something somewhere that you should find out the current dial up numbers for your area and plug one in where the phone number goes even though it won't actually get used over Ethernet.

And if you ever did the thing where you use one of those funky serial cables and something like hyperterminal to interrupt the boot process on the TiVo, there's an option in there somewhere to assign the TiVo a fixed IP address.

Can't hurt.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
jackpollack

Thanks for your reply. I pulled the cache RAM and tried several other numbers. Even some numbers in different area codes. I also tried a real telephone call. Same problem. Any other ideas? Tivo is useless without program data
Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
replaytv
ignorant myrmidon

Any interest converting over to a Ethernet connection? Others can probably tell you if that might fix your problem. Course you would have to buy the hardware.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
jackpollack

I am already using the cache card with ethernet
Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
dbranco

I am having the same problem with the Series 1. This happened several years ago, and someone from TiVo support was kind enough to look into it (and fixed the problem!). I hope they are reading this forum, and come up with a fix soon!
dbranco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #7
Fla_Travel

@jackpollack
@dbranco

I recently had the same problem after replacing a dead hard drive. For about 10 days, I did not get any updates - geting the "Failed while loading series" error.

I found a suggestion on another thread that seemed to have worked for me. They said to manually starrt a daily call, wait for housekeeping to finish and the actual phone call to start and then turn off the Tivo for 10, 30, 60 seconds (your choice). Repeat this 4 times in a row.

I was impatient, so I only did it twice the first time and got 80% through the loading process, but gained some program guide data. I then went through the process three time and had complete success.

Why this works? I don't know. I suspect that doing housekeeping several times in a row cleans out something that was preventing the data from load properly.

I do not recommend running Guided Setup, that just locked me up because the data would not load. (I restored the drive and started over.)

Clear Program Data & To Do List did not help me either. Although, maybe if I had done it three or four times?

Good Luck
Fla_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla_Travel View Post
@jackpollack
@dbranco

I found a suggestion on another thread that seemed to have worked for me. They said to manually starrt a daily call, wait for housekeeping to finish and the actual phone call to start and then turn off the Tivo for 10, 30, 60 seconds (your choice). Repeat this 4 times in a row.
Fla - Thank You for the suggestion! I tried it, and after 4 tries (housekeeping, downloading, and 'call interrupted'), it finally Succeeded. Now when I tell it to do the daily call, it completes successfully without a hitch.
dbranco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Fla_Travel

@dbranco

Glad you had success. I have 2 Series 1 Tivos and they are both failing to get Guide Data. I have tried a couple of other "fixes" but all I get is an incremental increase in the "Program Guide Date To" date as even with a Failed While Loading Series error seems to allow some data to get loaded.

There used to be a cleanup program in 1.3 and 2.0. One verson says "Script to remove old crud from a TiVo Center's database." I have not ben able to get it to run on my 3.0 software.

I did delete all my Thumb data on one of my Tivos but that did not help. I also tried kickstart with no luck. I restored a backup from 3 months ago and get the same failures.

There is another Series 1: Failed while loading series thread says that TiVo is aware of the problem: #516145

Considering that this problem has occurred multiple times over the years, you would think that Tivo would have a solution by now.

I'm still trying things to see if I can get something to improve until Tivo fixes it.
Fla_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote