TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
tessgold

Problem getting English captions on CC3 on Spanish language TV

I'm usually not a total idiot, but I'm afraid in this case I must be missing something really simple and I hope somebody can help me.

I have a Tivo Premiere XL. I used to have a Sony TV and was able to watch a Spanish language program, on Telemundo for example, and switch between Spanish captions and English captions. I'm studying Spanish and it was a huge help.

Now I have a Panasonic Viera TV and I don't seem to be able to get the English captions to show up. Just the Spanish ones on CC1. The English ones are on CC3, but that' s not a choice on the Tivo menu. It says the only one available is CC1.

I've looked at the captioning options on the TV menu but they make my head explode. I just can't figure out what combination of setting I need to use.

Can anybody help?
tessgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Settings > Displays > Closed Captioning will let you select CC3 under Standard Captions, and DTVCC3 under Digital Captions. There's no easy way to cycle through all available caption tracks while actually watching video on a TiVo, I'm afraid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
tessgold

Thanks, but I just double-checked my settings to make sure, and that's what they are already set at. And the subtitles are still in Spanish.

And when I press the "info" button on the Tivo and go down to the CC option, the CC3 feed doesn't show up in the box. It says "This program has the following standard CC tracks: CC1

At first I thought it might be because Telemundo had dropped their English captions, but at the beginning of the program I'm trying to watch there is a notice on the screen that CC1 is Espaņol and CC3 is English. And it's a current prime time show, not one in reruns.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
tessgold

Wmcbrine, you gave me hope for a solution, and I've been fiddling around this afternoon. I've found the English Captions in the area you mention, but under DTVCC2, not 3. Go figure.

Unfortunately they are crap. They are better than nothing, but really, really awful. Three or four lines will flash on the screen and disappear almost instantly. Only occasionally will I get to see an actual sentence.

But I do appreciate your help. Otherwise I would probably have just given up.

My next experiment is going to be to record the same shows in Standard Definition and see if I can get them on CC3 and if it makes any difference in the quality.

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
telemark

Was your old Sony TV, HD or SD?

If it was SD and new TV is HD, there might be another explanation for the difference in Caption quality.

Last edited by telemark : 07-16-2014 at 12:06 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #6
tessgold

Hi telemark. Yes, my old set was SD and the new one is HD.

But I've made more progress since my last post. It's almost like conducting a science experiment.

With the settings that Wmcbrine suggested, but substituting DTVCC2 for DTVCC3, I can get English captions on Telemundo, on both the SD and the HD channels on Comcast. However, they are unusable because most don't stay on the screen long enough to read and others persist through other characters' dialogue.

But the English captions are great on Univision's SD and HD channels. No problem at all. Which leads me to conclude that the problem with Telemundo captions is Telemundo, and has nothing to do with my settings.

I'm a little disappointed, because the shows on Telemundo are the ones I really am interested in watching, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks to you both for helping.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessgold View Post
Hi telemark. Yes, my old set was SD and the new one is HD.
So if you run an SD signal from the Tivo to the TV, it'll work more like your old set. You would then turn on CC on the TV.

In the experiments I ran, a Composite Cable or a Component Cable with the video mode running 480i, would do it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
tessgold

Ok, thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm sure I have some component cables laying around somewhere. So then I'd have both the HDMI and the component connections hooked up?