TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
leiff

Install required? Swap uverse for TiVo?

I can't get Comcast to give me free install. The house getting Comcast TV service is currently running u-verse. I'm wondering if I can just swap the uverse boxes inside the house for the TiVo boxes since they both use coax cable and avoid the Comcast hundred dollar install fee. I asked Comcast and they said if I tried the install myself and failed I would then be subject to separate fees for both internet and TV to get working which would exceed the hundred dollar original install fee which they said I couldn't get after if I tried installing myself. I think the difference was only like 20 bucks or so more so $120 after a self install fail instead of the original hundred but I'd like to take the chance if it can be done easily and save $100 in which case if I fail I'll only be out an extra $20.

leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

What kind of self-install are you trying to do? If there isn't a Comcast coax line running to the home's main point of entry, swapping boxes won't be enough. They'd still be on a dead u-verse feed.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
leiff

I thought the house being wired for u-verse it might also work for Comcast. Guess I have to pony up 100 unless there's some type of easy tutorial?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Self installing the cablecard is easy, but the Comcast source is different from the u-verse source. Swapping services means running coax from the utility pole (or wherever the Comcast source is) to the home. Far be it for me to suggest doing that. I don't even know if it's legal. You'll probably need to pay the install fee.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 08-30-2015 at 08:31 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
HarperVision

The real question is, why won't Comcast give you free install and all the usual perks that they give to customers that decide to switch from another provider over to comcast??? Do you have bad credit or a bad history with them or any other provider that would make them not offer this to you?

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
leiff

I actually already have an account with them so they didn't have to run my credit I called like four different times and was shot down every time for free install
reason given is that it's been more than 3 years since there's been Comcast service at that address

Old 08-31-2015, 03:06 AM   #7
HarperVision

Don't they have a win back program to bring you back to Comcast? I would think you qualify after three years. I do with directv after only 5 months!

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I actually already have an account with them so they didn't have to run my credit I called like four different times and was shot down every time for free install
reason given is that it's been more than 3 years since there's been Comcast service at that address
That sounds like they are expecting your infrastructure to have deteriorated so they're likely to need to do some amount of rewiring. Or maybe they've done some kind of system-wide wiring upgrade in the last three years that they're going to have to do for you because you missed it. (By "your" I mean everyone who's been out of service for more that three years, not you personally.) If you've call four times over and extended period and gotten the same answer it sounds like you're running into a company directive or policy. Like everyone else I'm surprised they aren't trying harder to get you back.

Were you extra nice when you called? Sometimes that makes a difference. Do you have some issue that might invoke the sympathy card, like age, poverty or disability? I wouldn't lie about it, of course, but if they do have a policy it helps to make an exception if they have a motivation to do so.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
leiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
That sounds like they are expecting your infrastructure to have deteriorated so they're likely to need to do some amount of rewiring. Or maybe they've done some kind of system-wide wiring upgrade in the last three years that they're going to have to do for you because you missed it. (By "your" I mean everyone who's been out of service for more that three years, not you personally.) If you've call four times over and extended period and gotten the same answer it sounds like you're running into a company directive or policy. Like everyone else I'm surprised they aren't trying harder to get you back.

Were you extra nice when you called? Sometimes that makes a difference. Do you have some issue that might invoke the sympathy card, like age, poverty or disability? I wouldn't lie about it, of course, but if they do have a policy it helps to make an exception if they have a motivation to do so.
I know the neighbors house which is located only a couple hundred feet away have comcast services so I wonder if that shoots down your theory about old lines?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #10
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I know the neighbors house which is located only a couple hundred feet away have comcast services so I wonder if that shoots down your theory about old lines?
No, I was referring to the wiring in your house. If you were in a "no-comcast" zone they would probably hang up on you rather than string new cable.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote