TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Terrestrial

No Dolby Digital, Roamio OTA to LG OLED TV to AV receiver

Hi, I have a new Roamio OTA and LG OLED TV that I just set up and I canít get the TV to pass Dolby Digital sound from the TiVo to my AV receiver over optical.

My connection is: TiVo HDMI out to LG TV HDMI input, then from the LG TV via optical to my receiver. I only get PCM from this setup, no DD.

My receiver is an older Onkyo model that does not have HDMI or ARC, so I am trying to get the new TV to switch (pass through) the DD to the receiver from the TiVo. I can get DD from the TiVo direct to the receiver via optical and I get DD from the TV built in tuner to the receiver via optical.

I am pretty sure I have the proper settings on the TV to pass DD over optical so I am thinking I am missing some setup option on the TiVo to make this work. I have tried the 1080p pass through setting and still only get PCM.

Other people have told me that they have got this to work with FIOS DVR to LG OLED TV, so I believe the TV supports this capability.

Terrestrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Hi, I have a new Roamio OTA and LG OLED TV that I just set up and I canít get the TV to pass Dolby Digital sound from the TiVo to my AV receiver over optical.

My connection is: TiVo HDMI out to LG TV HDMI input, then from the LG TV via optical to my receiver. I only get PCM from this setup, no DD.

My receiver is an older Onkyo model that does not have HDMI or ARC, so I am trying to get the new TV to switch (pass through) the DD to the receiver from the TiVo. I can get DD from the TiVo direct to the receiver via optical and I get DD from the TV built in tuner to the receiver via optical.

I am pretty sure I have the proper settings on the TV to pass DD over optical so I am thinking I am missing some setup option on the TiVo to make this work. I have tried the 1080p pass through setting and still only get PCM.

Other people have told me that they have got this to work with FIOS DVR to LG OLED TV, so I believe the TV supports this capability.
No manual setting in the TiVo would prevent this.

Need to look between LG and Onkyo

SomeRandomIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
Chris Gerhard

The TiVo does have an option for Dolby Digital or PCM, be sure Dolby Digital is selected. After that it is entirely up to your display as to whether or not it can take Dolby Digital input via HDMI and output Dolby Digital over optical. This feature is possible with some models but certainly not all and I have no idea whether your LG OLED can do it.

Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
The TiVo does have an option for Dolby Digital or PCM.
Yes, but he stated DD was not being passed from TV to Onkyo. TiVo has no control in settings for that.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

I don't know the specifics of your individual components, but I'd wager that you should be sending the signal from your Tivo to your A/V receiver and then to your TV. This will guarantee that the audio is processed correctly by your receiver. The TV can likely pass Dolby Digital from programs it receives via any internal tuners, assuming it has them, to an outboard processor, such as the one in your receiver. It may not pass through Dolby Digital from external sources.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
JoeKustra
Cable only

http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-test...o-a-sound-bar/

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
That Clearly tells the tale, except for those members who think cnet writers are clueless (which I do not).

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #8
Terrestrial

I have confirmed from different sources, like ratings.com review of the 55EG9100 LG OLED, that they could pass DD from HDMI input to optical output on this TV.

I also tried hooking up my PC which has an AMD R5 video card with HDMI audio out. When I try to configure the audio on the card the AMD software only gives me the option of 2 channel, which tells me that the TV is telling the HDMI devices that it only supports PCM. I have been through all of the setting on the TV and still haven't been able to get this to work for me. Stumped at this point. I am waiting to see if anyone on the AVS LG OLED forum might have some suggestions.

Terrestrial is offline   Reply With Quote