TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
NJ Webel

Roamio Basic Not Displaying Live or Pre-Recorded Content

Having an issue with my Roamio basic. This box is coming up on one year old, and is set up for OTA only.

When I came home from work on Friday, I tried to watch a pre-recorded show, and the screen went black. The progress indicator (normally a green bar across the bottom) was empty as well. After alternately pushing play and pause with no response, I tried the Tivo button which resulted in the familiar chime, but the screen stayed black (and didn't return to Tivo Central). After several minutes of nothing displaying no matter what button was pressed, the box rebooted.

After a reboot, menus display normally and I can navigate them just fine up until the point when I want to access either Live TV or pre-recorded programming - at which point the behavior above occurs. If I don't try to access content, the box remains stable (even to access app services such as Netflix), except going to DVR diagnostics displays a only the 'diagnostics' header with nothing underneath, no information populates.

The hard drive in this Roamio is a 3TB WD30EURS installed in January of this year. Running kickstart tests, the drive passes the SMART test, but fails the overnight test.

I have gone ahead and ordered a WD30EURX drive to swap in, and also ordered a more robust power supply (based on the info in this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=519901) because it's possible that the wall wart is on the cusp of not being able to sufficiently power a large replacement drive.

What does everyone think?

Last edited by NJ Webel : 10-20-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
NJ Webel

Well on the plus side, the replacement drive and power supply went in without a hitch and I appear to be back up and running. Thanks to kmttg, I didn't lose any wishlists or season passes and I'm transferring offloaded content back on to the box.

Next step will be to hook the removed drive up to my pc and check for errors.

Last edited by NJ Webel : 10-20-2014 at 06:39 PM.
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Sorry that I missed your thread. I usually watch for such threads, subscribe, then try to help if I can.

In the other thread you referenced, you said all is well now. So, I figured it would be good to be clear here, that you chose a 3TB WD AV-GP drive, and even though it shouldn't draw more than the stock 500GB drive (not a very efficient stock drive), you achieved better operation after upgrading from the wimpy Roamio 12V 2.0A wall-wart (12V 2.5A bricks seem to be the ideal choice).

My experiences were similar, using 3TB WD Red Nas v2.0 WD30EFRX drives. The system information screen took minutes to populate, along with issues like you describe.

It turned out that some sectors, located in operationally critical areas, were unable to be read, but were not getting flagged by the drive, SMART, or the TiVo OS. The long road to fixing it, included overwriting the whole drive with zeroes, and finding that the sectors were not reallocated (reclaimed, instead), as they wrote fine, and then read fine, taking them off the Raw Read Error Rate SMART value, which only registered the errors when connected to a PC and a read test was run, followed by write zeroes, then a full read test. After all that, the SMART attribute values finally reflect what they should. This left me certain that the sectors with issues were "weak writes", which was telemark's suggestion, to explain what seemed impossible to many (the sectors being physically OK, and reclaimed, without reallocation/remapping of sectors).

The working theory was the power supply not being up to the job, and affecting the strength of the writes to those sectors. I also found what I believe to be an indication that drives with TLER/ERC (RAID/NAS drives), will tend to make it harder to know the status of the hard drive, as they use 7-second Time Limited Error Recovery, moving on, after 7 seconds of trying a sector operation, rather than keep working at it. (I'll clip these details here.)

In the end, I swapped all my 12V 2.5A LiteOn power bricks for my Cisco STA1520 tuning adapters (TAs), with my 12V 2.0A Roamio wall-warts (reversing the roles). Everything has been noticeably more stable, since the change, and even the SDV duties the TAs handle, now using the Roamio warts for the TAs, seem better (I'm sure it's on the TiVo side of the equation).