TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
amp263

Roamio does 480p/i but can't output 720p, 1080i, 1080p over HDMI

Hi! First time Tivo owner finally bit the bullet on a refurb Roamio Pro during the summer sale.

When the tivo first booted up connected via HDMI direct to the TV there was no image on the TV. After toggling the "Change Resolution" button on the back the setup screen appeared when the Tivo was set to output 480i or 480p. No higher resolutions worked.

I pulled out a set of component cables, removed the HDMI cable, changed inputs on the TV and Voila!, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p all work fine. I installed the motorola cablecard and after 20 minutes on the phone with comcast everything is working perfectly over the component cables. After lots of tweaking I tried to diagnose the HDMI issue further.

The TV, a Sharp LC-40E67UN, is a 1080p display and accepts via HDMI 1080i from the motorola cablebox the roamio is to replace and 1080p from an intel NUC.

I tried:
1) Two (2) known good HDMI cables (both work w/the above mentioned cable box and NUC) from Tivo to TV.
2) All four (4) different HDMI ports on the TV... these cables work fine w/the cable box and the NUC.
3) Directly the Tivo to a dell monitor (which is normally connected to a computer via it's HDMI input at 1080p).

In all above combinations the tivo works fine when set to 480i or 480p over HDMI but at any higher resolutions it fails. Later this week (traveling for work the next few days) I might try relocating the tivo to another TV to see if I get a different result there.

I read through a thread about HDMI issues after the onepass update but that doesn't seem to match my issue (I can't post a link to it because I have to few posts here). Basic google searched limited to tivocommunity.com revealed occasional HDMI issues but none that are resolution specific.

Questions:
1) Has everyone even seen a similar issue where lower resolutions over HDMI work but not higher ones?
2) Any suggestions besides what I've tried to get the HDMI ports working?

After a day playing around with the Tivo I regret not getting one sooner. However, I can't accept not being able to use the HDMI port at HD resolutions. Yes component works but that is not a preferred solution and if it really is a hardware problem could be a sign of impending future failure and also limit resale potential. I'm still well within the 30 day guarantee and warranty and suspect I'll have to return this box and get another.

Thanks for reading and for any input you can provide!

-AMP

amp263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
Go into the Settings/Video where the resolutions are and test each resolution.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
amp263

That was the very first thing I did during guided setup (and later after setup was complete, during multiple retries). When cycling through the resolution tests 720p, 1080i, and 1080p results in no output on two different displays. 480p and 480i work fine

Old 07-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
Bad HDMI port?

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
amp263

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Bad HDMI port?
If there was no working signal at all through it I would think bad HDMI port.

Working 480i/480p but nothing else seems odd, so maybe it's something else.

Was just curious if anyone else had ever seen the same thing.

Thanks.