TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Pheran

Tivo Desktop - The system cannot find the file specified

I've been using Tivo Desktop for a number of years to view the programs from my Tivo Premiere Elite on my PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. However, at some point it broke and will no longer transfer files. Whenever I click on "Pick Recordings to Transfer", it sees my Tivo Elite and knows there are 380 programs on it. It then counts through them, but at the end when it gets to 380 it just displays:

There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR.

The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm running Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 (not plus) with the patch installed, so this shouldn't be the problem that happened in 2013. Any idea what else might be causing this?

Pheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
skis04

Remove your streaming videos from My Shows

This is a problem that appears to have been introduced with the new OnePass option to include streaming videos as well as broadcast videos in your 'My Shows'.

The file(s) TiVo Desktop can't find are the streaming files. The desktop app is told they are there, but when it tries to retrieve them they don't exist and the app pukes.

The workaround is to delete all the streaming entries from your My Shows (including all of those in the Streaming video folder). This fixes the problem. (Obviously you'll have to change your OnePasses so that they don't gather streaming videos in the future or you'll be back to square one.)

TiVo support is very clear that this app is on life support and it's unlikely they'll fix this.

The problem is also apparent in KMTTG and is fixed when you follow these steps. There's no error message, but it won't refresh your show list.

skis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Pheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skis04 View Post
This is a problem that appears to have been introduced with the new OnePass option to include streaming videos as well as broadcast videos in your 'My Shows'.

The file(s) TiVo Desktop can't find are the streaming files. The desktop app is told they are there, but when it tries to retrieve them they don't exist and the app pukes.

The workaround is to delete all the streaming entries from your My Shows (including all of those in the Streaming video folder). This fixes the problem. (Obviously you'll have to change your OnePasses so that they don't gather streaming videos in the future or you'll be back to square one.)
Thank you, that fixed the problem! I don't even really use the streaming feature, but I happened to have 1 streaming program in the list.

Pheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
pfiagra

I have streaming videos in My Shows and am able to pick recordings to transfer to TiVo Desktop Plus on a Windows 8 laptop without any problems.

pfiagra is offline   Reply With Quote