TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Stormydog

2 tuners and watch tv

I'm curious, but afraid I already know the answer to my inquiry. My wife goes through the roof complaining (I'm saying it politely) when both tuners record shows and she can not even watch tv. Before digital cable was forced on me, I had a splitter with analog signal and when S2 tuner recorded, I could always go to viewing the tv source and watch any current tv show. This is what my wife is used to being able to do. Now, with Premier and digital signals, you can not watch tv by itself anymore. (I also got suprised by being charged a monthly fee for the cablecard, which I wasnt told I would get a monthly charge.)

So my question is simply, is the only way to watch current tv
- no Tivo, is to attach a seperate DTA - at an additional charge? Of is it not possible and I am tied to Tivo for everything? Wanting HD programming is not that important to me.
Stormydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
lessd

Most cable still use the first 20 or so channels as analog channels like the networks, so you could split the cable between your TV and TiVo and feed the TV with the analog cable signal, than when the TiVo is recording two programs you could just switch the TV input to direct cable and tune some channels directly, with some TVs/cable systems you can also receive HD network stations using this method.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
robm15

+1 on what lessd said.

This is what I do. Plus my TV has a digital tuner built in that picks up the channels in HD that the cable company provides. Sadly, I think the picture looks better in HD using the TV's tuner than the premiere, but it is what it is.
robm15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
atmuscarella

You could also see what a cable box would cost to have. If they are charging you for the cable card one box might be free. Of course the whole purpose of TiVo is to stop watching "live" TV, perhaps you are recording the wrong shows if there is something she wants to watch while you are record 2 other stations. Somehow I don't see how you ever get to watch the recorded stuff if you keep watching shows live.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
DeWitt

I solved this simply with a second Premiere. With 4 tuners I never have any issues anymore.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Watch live TV? Who does that anymore?
Sorry, had to be said.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Watch live TV? Who does that anymore?
Sorry, had to be said.
Some people may like to turn on CNN or some other news program just to see if anything new has happened in the world, if you are recording two other programs that is hard to do even with a split cable as most cable co scramble all non network news channels like CNN or HN. A second TiVo with a cable card may solve that problem at some expense that one may not want to spent just to watch some live CNN news now and then.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Some people may like to turn on CNN or some other news program just to see if anything new has happened in the world, if you are recording two other programs that is hard to do even with a split cable as most cable co scramble all non network news channels like CNN or HN. A second TiVo with a cable card may solve that problem at some expense that one may not want to spent just to watch some live CNN news now and then.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can use the same splitter you had with the Series2. As long as they still broadcast analog channels, or your TV can receive digital channels, you can watch live TV using the TV's tuner. You just can't watch premiums or anything encrypted.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
Stormydog

2 tuners and watch tv

I set up the Premier to record shows. Many times there are two shows in prime time that I record and there are no other showings of this show or other time slots conflict. I am not home but my wife is. She simply wants to watch anything she wants to and gets frustrated when I have set up the recorder with two shows to record.

Before the forced switch to digital, she could simply switch tv inputs and watch whatever on the cable input. Now, she cant watch anything and gets upset.

In actuality, I do have an old S2 hooked up with a splitter, but she finds multiple remotes, switching inputs and even operating Tivo too much to deal with when she simply wants to watch a show when I am not home. I am already mad at cable company because they charge a 7.95 monthly fee on cablecard. There is another tv in another room with the digital converter for Comcast On Demand attachemnet (free one) but would like to sit in our living room and watch using the larger screen tv.

I was hoping for a tip like attaching a splitter on the already split line and feed that into tv input. Unfortunetly, I am not that savey with tv/dvr/cable/digital adapter hook up abilities and limitations and hate to limit my flexibility because I dont know any better when there is a very knowledgable source right here in this forum.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormydog View Post
I set up the Premier to record shows. Many times there are two shows in prime time that I record and there are no other showings of this show or other time slots conflict. I am not home but my wife is. She simply wants to watch anything she wants to and gets frustrated when I have set up the recorder with two shows to record.

Before the forced switch to digital, she could simply switch tv inputs and watch whatever on the cable input. Now, she cant watch anything and gets upset.

In actuality, I do have an old S2 hooked up with a splitter, but she finds multiple remotes, switching inputs and even operating Tivo too much to deal with when she simply wants to watch a show when I am not home. I am already mad at cable company because they charge a 7.95 monthly fee on cablecard. There is another tv in another room with the digital converter for Comcast On Demand attachemnet (free one) but would like to sit in our living room and watch using the larger screen tv.

I was hoping for a tip like attaching a splitter on the already split line and feed that into tv input. Unfortunetly, I am not that savey with tv/dvr/cable/digital adapter hook up abilities and limitations and hate to limit my flexibility because I dont know any better when there is a very knowledgable source right here in this forum.
I guess you have to deside:
  1. Are you willing to spend more money to solve this problem?
  2. If yes it is fairly easy to get another tuner either by adding another TiVo or Cable STB
  3. If no then you have to decide what is more important recording the shows you want or having a happy wife who get to watch what she wants to.
Frankly TV is just TV missing any of it is really not all that relevant. But a happy wife can be heaven on earth and an unhappy wife is hell on earth.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

If you have an HD set with a digital tuner, try the CATV feed on it. Have it scan the available channels and some of the channels she watches may be on there.
No way to know unless you try it. Around here on FiOS and Comcast there are several non-local channels that are broadcast without the need of a cable card to receive them.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
I WANT MORE

Clear Qam Tuner. Always purchase a tv that has one.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Clear Qam Tuner. Always purchase a tv that has one.
QAM is irrelevant, even if your cable co has some channels in QAM, it won't be all and won't be mapped right/conistently.

If OP's wife has issues with not being able to watch her show, telling her "Well Dear, you can watch 8 channels on this tv, but I'm not sure what is where" is not going to work..
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
jrtroo
User

What is your wife watching?

Here my solution- find out which shows she wants to browse on live TV, and put them all in a season pass so she can timeshift them. Or/in addition- turn on suggestions and make sure she gives them thumbs up. Then, she can browse the inventory of shows in the now playing list instead of live TV.

TiVo is nice for avoiding commercials, but it is really best in watching more content, and potentially less TV overall.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
P42

Stormydog needs to stop using his wife's TV

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
ducker

current events?? isn't that what the web is for?
+1 jrtroo - sounds like there just aren't enough shows for her to watch.

Sure occasionally I may look at what's on live TV - just because I don't have an urge one way or another to watch something.

Say it happens to be recording 2 shows my wife likes.. I'll just double check what's in the suggestions area; there's always _something_ to watch.

Worst case, I can switch my TV to utilize OTA - which is going directly to the TV.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Stormydog needs to stop using his wife's TV
I do agree the best solution is separate his and hers TVs and DVRs.

Amazing how things have changed when I was a kid we had one black and white TV and 4 channels for the whole family. Now someone was posting somewhere around here about having 11 TVs and most people have access to dozens of channels.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
rasmasyean

How exactly does a "tuner" work in a TiVo? It's not just an "analogy expression"? I thought that "digital" cable means that the programs are software decoded. So in theory, can't you have like 100 "tuners" if your DVR is powerful enough? I thought the limit on number of recordings/playback in a digital box is limited by stuff like hard drive access, CPU, etc and there were no more traditional "tuners" like analog television where a piece of hardware reads one frequency or something like that.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
How exactly does a "tuner" work in a TiVo? It's not just an "analogy expression"? I thought that "digital" cable means that the programs are software decoded. So in theory, can't you have like 100 "tuners" if your DVR is powerful enough? I thought the limit on number of recordings/playback in a digital box is limited by stuff like hard drive access, CPU, etc and there were no more traditional "tuners" like analog television where a piece of hardware reads one frequency or something like that.
Digital is really not much different than Analog. You basically need a tuner to decoded the digital stream and send the info to your screen. This is not the same as encryption which is a security product. You need cable cards to allow decryption and then tuners to decode the stream.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #21
rasmasyean

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Digital is really not much different than Analog. You basically need a tuner to decoded the digital stream and send the info to your screen. This is not the same as encryption which is a security product. You need cable cards to allow decryption and then tuners to decode the stream.
No, I meant something like this (encryption aside).

Analog Signal Timeline:
Coax transmission comes into electronic tuner.
Tuner is set to filter out ONE frequency.
Info encoded in filtered frequency is processed by video electronics.
Video electronics outputs TV signal to plugs.

Digital Signal Timeline:
Coax transmission comes into receiver.
Receiver reads ALL frequencies and dumps it into computer (RAM most likely).
Software in computer extracts whatever "frequency" it wants to look at.
Info encoded in extracted frequency is processed by software.
Software sends data to video electronics.

In the second method, a faster CPU (running parallel software?) can theoretically extract as many "frequencies" (if that still has the same meaning) as it is capable of from the RAM. The issue is, how many streams can you write to a HD at once...maybe it will be more with SATA 6GB later...or even more with large SSD's of the future.

This may be a bit off as I'm just guessing mostly as to what it means for a transmission to be "digitally processed".
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #22
atmuscarella

Quote:
No, I meant something like this (encryption aside).

Analog Signal Timeline:
Coax transmission comes into electronic tuner.
Tuner is set to filter out ONE frequency.
Info encoded in filtered frequency is processed by video electronics.

Digital Signal Timeline:
Coax transmission comes into receiver.
Receiver reads ALL frequencies and dumps it into computer (RAM most likely).
Software in computer extracts whatever "frequency" it wants to look at.
Info encoded in extracted frequency is processed by software.
Software sends data to video electronics.

In the second method, a faster CPU (running parallel software?) can theoretically extract as many "frequencies" (if that still has the same meaning) as it is capable of from the RAM. The issue is, how many streams can you write to a HD at once...maybe it will be more with SATA 6GB later...or even more with large SSD's of the future.

This may be a bit off as I'm just guessing mostly as to what it means for a transmission to be "digitally processed".
I believe the process is the same for both digital and analog cable. The physical tuner is what extracts the specific channel from the analog or digital streams and decodes it.

What you are describing is basically how the Internet works you can have as many streams as you have band width and resources to handle, which is not how digital cable works.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
QAM is irrelevant, even if your cable co has some channels in QAM, it won't be all and won't be mapped right/conistently.

If OP's wife has issues with not being able to watch her show, telling her "Well Dear, you can watch 8 channels on this tv, but I'm not sure what is where" is not going to work..
I have no issues on miine. You just program them in. For me, they've been there for years with no issues on FiOS. I don't typically use them but my girlfriend will if we are burning one of her Lifetime recordings from the TiVo in the bedroom.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
Stormydog

2 tuners

The real issue is when my wife is done doing what ever, she simply wants to sit in our front room in a comfortable chair and watch something on our large screen tv. She is tired of being at her computer desk and wants to relax. She is not into recording her shows and leaves that to me. However, she does not want to learn how to change inputs, grab another remote,...etc... She just wants to flip thru channels and watch whatever interests her at that time until I get home. Something she always did with analog cable and was used to doing.

So to answer my own question, with digital cable, you have to have another Tivo type dvr device, OTA with limited channels, channels 2-23 with a splitter. You all know how women are with their Lifetime channels. So short answer - no you cant watch just tv with all available cable channels with a tivo premier dvr that is already recording 2 shows. Just wanted to see if I was missing a way to do it.

The forced switch to digital limited our ability to watch tv more and managed to cost us more! Amazing way to get more money and provide us with less ability to watch what we pay for. I am including our two computers with analog tv tuner cards which now no longer work.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
rasmasyean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormydog View Post
The real issue is when my wife is done doing what ever, she simply wants to sit in our front room in a comfortable chair and watch something on our large screen tv. She is tired of being at her computer desk and wants to relax. She is not into recording her shows and leaves that to me. However, she does not want to learn how to change inputs, grab another remote,...etc... She just wants to flip thru channels and watch whatever interests her at that time until I get home. Something she always did with analog cable and was used to doing.

So to answer my own question, with digital cable, you have to have another Tivo type dvr device, OTA with limited channels, channels 2-23 with a splitter. You all know how women are with their Lifetime channels. So short answer - no you cant watch just tv with all available cable channels with a tivo premier dvr that is already recording 2 shows. Just wanted to see if I was missing a way to do it.

The forced switch to digital limited our ability to watch tv more and managed to cost us more! Amazing way to get more money and provide us with less ability to watch what we pay for. I am including our two computers with analog tv tuner cards which now no longer work.
I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. Before the DVR, were you able to "record 2 shows at once"? It looks like you're creating the problem yourself. If you wanted to record your 2 shows so much now that you CAN, you're really the one who has "hogged the TV" at the expense of your wife's TV time. If this is the case, then maybe due to your change in viewing habits in the "digital era", you should get another TV setup just for your wife.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #26
Stormydog

2 tuners

You are completely correct Rasmasyean, with the ability to record two shows at once has helped me create this problem. Before switching to digital, I had a S2 (1 tuner) and analog signals. My wife could simply turn tv on and watch whatever without ever touching a Tivo. Since I was forced to digital, I decided to go all out and get a Tivo Premier that has two tuners. I certainly did not think I would be using both tuners at the same time to record shows, but the show schedules some times force me to record a show at the same time as I am already recording a show, so now I have the two shows to record. Doesnt happen every night, but I hear about it when it does.

So yes, I created the problem. Since I do not know all that much about wiring cable and using splitters with a Premier, I was curious if this community forum had a clever way to accomplish watching tv channels without a Tivo being used. Unfortunetly, once the Premier is hooked up, that is about the only way to watch any of the channels I get. No more ability to watch tv on its own.

So many users in this forum know much more about this stuff than I do and I was looking for suggestions, if any, on watching tv by itself. It is not a Tivo problem, but possibly a technical feat that I know nothing of that could be used. For all I know, adding another splitter and running it into a tv input would work, but I have no idea. I certainly am not going to rent another DTA just for that resson. So, yes, I will have to adapt my recording habits and live with it. Evidently this issue is closed as there really is no solution. Thank you all for your inout.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #27
jrtroo
User

I'm still back where I commented earlier. You need a bigger hard drive and lots more content on the TiVo for her to review (season pass/whishlist/suggestions). Then, instead of flipping through channels looking for content she can browse the NPL for content.

it is essentially the same activity, but performed differently. yes, she would need to learn the tivo interface, but the NPL is the easiest part- turn on the tv, hit the tivo button twice, and off to content.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
rasmasyean

It's easy to say that the TiVo interface is "easy", but it's another to get an old dog to try new tricks, so to speak. Especially with people who are old, and particularly women who grew up in an age where "technology" was overwhelmingly considered "the man's domain", it's a real PITA to try to help them use these "modern versatile machines". I mean, you can try and try, but in the end, sometimes you will just get frustrated trying, or they will just get pissed off and not want to touch it and even start yelling at you for no reason as is happening here.

But back on topic...since apparently, you are familiar with "PC tuners", there's a quad tuner that accepts cable cards out there these days like Ceton which allow you to run Windows Media Center with it and do all sorts of interesting things. Plus, it's a real computer so you can use Hulu and NetFlix, should you choose (something that RCN doesn't have). I think the On Demand doesn't work, because they don't program that into the cablecard, but maybe it doesn't matter to you since you're going to record everything anyway. You'll just have to get one of those Microsoft remotes or something so it's similar to controlling a normal TV.

BTW, the government was offering vouchers for Digital to Analog Converters. Not sure if it's still available. You can easily get a free converter(s) for your "analog PC's".

Last edited by rasmasyean : 08-09-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #29
Aero 1

what? you make no sense! you say your wife refuses to switch inputs, but obviously she had to switch inputs when you had a single tuner tivo that was recording!!!!!

listen, its 2011, its the future. technological changes happen in order to keep up with consumer demand. the switch from analog to digital wasnt done to screw you, it was done to feed the greedy consumer demand of more and better looking channels while doing what any company does, increase profit. TV viewing is not a right.

split the cable line one end to the premiere and the other to hopefully a new tv (don't expect that to happen with your 1986 zenith tv) to get whatever clear QAM and or analog channels you are given, either upgrade or change your viewing habits.

either buy a universal remote and program it with all your devices so she doesn't have to go through the nightmare of picking up an extra remote, or just tell your wife to just change inputs on the tv, its not going to kill her to press a button. im sure she got used to a touch tone phone after she complained how much easier it was to use a rotatory.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
But back on topic...since apparently, you are familiar with "PC tuners", there's a quad tuner that accepts cable cards out there these days like Ceton which allow you to run Windows Media Center with it and do all sorts of interesting things.

Actually, there's a 6 tuner one.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote