TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I won't apologize for being a cheap bastard that won't pay retail for anything. I'm able to stretch my dollar a lot further through smart shopping. I've also learned to be more self-sufficient than most people and do virtually all of my own home repairs and car maintenance. The cost of parts is usually a drop in the bucket compared to labor rates.
I won't apologize either! You are thinking the way everyone should be thinking, especially in this economy. If others thought this way then maybe so many wouldn't have such huge debt and defaulting on their loans.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #32
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
With a Premiere, you can buy a brand new unit. Less than $100 and you have an extra power supply and a 320GB hard drive with an image of the TiVo Software on it.
Far less than what Weaknees would charge for each component.
The only kink in that idea is that your $100 Premiere also comes with a 1-year commitment to the Tivo service attached to it at a cost of $20 per month, so your $100 Tivo actually costs you $340.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Yes, you can buy a used TiVo for less, with no guarantee that the power supply isn't going to die 5 minutes after you plug it in, or you can, in the case of the OP, get a new one with a 90 day warranty, and if you don't know a capacitor from a cantelope, but can manage to find a #10 Torx driver, the one from Weaknees might be the best way for you to go.

You pays yer money and you takes yer cherce.
I'll agree that the technically challenged shouldn't even go near a soldering iron and that the Weaknees replacement would probably be the way to go. That just proves that ineptitude can be expensive. However, the same skill required to replace a new power supply is exactly the same as swapping out a used one.

There's no way to determine that your new power supply won't die 91 days after you buy it either. I had a brand new HR10-250 HDTivo die exactly 93 days after it was installed by one of DirecTV's "expert" installers. I got a replacement unit from DirecTV, but since it was past the 90-day window, they wouldn't send me a new unit and sent me a refurbed one instead. The refurbed unit lasted for several years before I eventually sold it.

Buying anything used is a crapshoot, but you can buy 2 or 3 used S3 Tivos on ebay and still not pay as much as you do for a single power supply from Weaknees. I think I'd take my chances, as long as the seller guarantees I'll receive a working unit or he'll refund my money.

The good thing about ebay is that they finally put a method in place to prevent scammers from selling you bad products. Ebay will freeze the seller's PayPal funds if the buyer issues a complaint right away. Ebay will then hear both sides of the argument from buyer and seller and determine if the transaction was performed in good faith or not. If they find for the buyer, the seller is required to issue a full refund, including shipping costs. The buyer has to return the item to the seller at their expense.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 07-28-2011 at 06:51 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #33
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetex View Post
...snip...When I opened it, I had 3 bulging capacitors.
hmmmmm. Sounds too much like its just those capacitors.

If you still have your power supply, would you mind posting their values. Maybe even a photo if your camera will take closeup/macro pictures.

Thanks in advance.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
The only kink in that idea is that your $100 Premiere also comes with a 1-year commitment to the Tivo service attached to it at a cost of $20 per month, so your $100 Tivo actually costs you $340.
Since when?
When you buy a Premiere from Amazon (for example), you don't have to activate it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Right now I have a Premiere that I bought off Woot. Didn't have to activate it. Granted it is technically a refurbished unit...but it will serve its purpose someday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #35
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Since when?
When you buy a Premiere from Amazon (for example), you don't have to activate it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Right now I have a Premiere that I bought off Woot. Didn't have to activate it. Granted it is technically a refurbished unit...but it will serve its purpose someday.
I don't know the details of the agreement, but you might want to read the fine print before you buy. Back when I used to have DirecTV I recall that if you bought a DirecTivo from a 3rd party there were stipulations that it had to be activated within 30 days or your card would be charged the full retail price for the unit. Tivo sells them at a discount because it's subsidized based on the DVR being activated with the Tivo service.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #36
unitron

Considering that the OP needed a replacement power supply for an S3, I fail to see how purchasing a Premiere under any circumstances for any purpose at any price is relevant.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #37
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Thread drift happens.

Quote:
but you might want to read the fine print before you buy. Back when I used to have DirecTV I recall that if you bought a DirecTivo from a 3rd party there were stipulations that it had to be activated within 30 days or your card would be charged the full retail price for the unit. Tivo sells them at a discount because it's subsidized based on the DVR being activated with the Tivo service.
I'll concede that point. Buyer beware and all that. I was just pointing out that there is a way to get cheap replacement parts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 07-29-2011 at 07:04 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #38
bluetex
Wha?

Anyone wanna buy a used Tivo S3 power supply? Only has 3 bad capacitors.

$80 -- a steal considering you can repair it with your trusty soldering iron and $2 of parts from Radio Shack.

No? How bout $50?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #39
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I don't know the details of the agreement, but you might want to read the fine print before you buy. Back when I used to have DirecTV I recall that if you bought a DirecTivo from a 3rd party there were stipulations that it had to be activated within 30 days or your card would be charged the full retail price for the unit. Tivo sells them at a discount because it's subsidized based on the DVR being activated with the Tivo service.
You might not want interject your experience with oranges when we're talking apples.

There's no commitment to subscribe a purchased TiVo box. You don't agree to anything when you buy one. How do I know? I bought two Premieres. I subbed one.

DirecTV charges customers for calling to ask if there a charge, while telling, nay, swearing to them that, of course, there's no charge. How I do know? Same answer.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #40
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
You might not want interject your experience with oranges when we're talking apples.

There's no commitment to subscribe a purchased TiVo box. You don't agree to anything when you buy one. How do I know? I bought two Premieres. I subbed one.

DirecTV charges customers for calling to ask if there a charge, while telling, nay, swearing to them that, of course, there's no charge. How I do know? Same answer.
My comment was based purely on speculation and a similar prior experience. Perhaps you missed the first part of my statement where I indicated I didn't know the details of the Tivo agreement.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #41
Series3Sub

Good Grief! Even Leo Laporte say he "loves weaknees" and had saved his TiVo a time or two. Now there is a good example of a guy who has the knowledge and skill, but with more money than time on his hands.

Yours truly can perform the swap-outs, etc. on a TiVo, but I would have NO guarantee to my family as to when I would get around to doing it. Heck, I still haven't finished programming the macro to fully power-up and power-down our components in the living room on our sophisticate remote control, and I have to do it manually for our elderly mother. I will get to it, but I just don't have the time, right now.

And that is were Weeknees comes in. Some people don't fancy taking the time to go on the internet and hunt down a part and deal with the possibility of getting ripped off, then dealing with an individual from whom they've bought it for resolution.

People are very aware they are getting "hosed" by such services as Weeknees, but they prefer to go the "Weeknees" route for many of their problems because all they have to do is go to one place, put the order in, maybe even have weeknees do the work if the owner had other more important things to. And if they have a problem with the purchased part or service, Weeknees does operate as a reputable entity, and the customer can get quick resolution.

It always costs more for a SERVICE. The irony is that for all those posters who snobbishly look down with great condescension upon those who "won't take the time to learn" (as if they are the best judge of another person's time) and drop how technically skilled and advanced they are in the art of TiVo repair, those same people lack skills in other areas and GET REAMED when THEY use a service because they "won't take the time" how to change the oil in a car or replace the brakes on your car, all not very difficult to do. Or even WASHING the car themselves. Yeah, we know those techy smart-asses pay a fortune to get their car washed and waxed (how lazy are you now?) by someone else (I guess they just couldn't take the time to learn how to make soapy water and use something to wipe with, and how to use a garden hose) and have the mechanic perform any number of repairs or install replacement parts that can be done by the average Joe, and don't require great skill of a licensed mechanic.

So, please, give it a rest. Weeknees is there as an option for those who can--afford it. It's called a SERVICE, and any SERVICE has its mark-up. You're not suggesting that since one may not have the time, desire, or skills to DYI a TiVo, they should just forget about it and never see the TiVo creature again, or is it OK for them to go ahead and get a part from a reputable company and even find it worth it to have someone else (Weeknees) do all the work for them? As long as the person feels "satisfaction" from the purchase of goods or services, it is a positive exercise of the philosophy of economics. These snob posters aren't making the future of TiVo any brighter. TiVo is in trouble because they have lost far too many of the people "who cant be bothered to learn" how to DYI a TiVo. At least a place like Weeknees does a heck of a lot more to prevent churn at TiVo than ANY of the snob posters. They are actually part of the problem with TiVo's demise.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #42
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If Weaknees were making an outrageously high NET profit all these years,
Since the Tivo upgrade market isn't exactly a high volume market, are their "outrageously high NET profit" really that outrageous? They do have to make enough profit to justify staying in business!

Quote:
don't you think someone would have come along by now to undercut them and steal all of their customers?
If the market were as lucrative as you are naively making it out to be, they would have pleanty of competitors.

I think the fact that they are pretty much alone answers your questions and address the "outrageously high NET profit" assertion as well
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #43
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
The irony is that for all those posters who snobbishly look down with great condescension upon those who "won't take the time to learn" (as if they are the best judge of another person's time) and drop how technically skilled and advanced they are in the art of TiVo repair, those same people lack skills in other areas and GET REAMED when THEY use a service because they "won't take the time" how to change the oil in a car or replace the brakes on your car, all not very difficult to do. Or even WASHING the car themselves.
Amen! I have started using the "do you change your oil? No? Then you must be stupid since there is absolutely NO SKILL involved!" myself.

This whole tech arrogance thing is why I never really got into the open source or Linux movements - many in that community love to deride Apple for "dumbing down" computing. As if computing should be reserved only for the "elites". Ugh - it's disgusting.

The irony is, making technology accessible takes incredible insight and attention to detail. It's a highly disciplined art. If the open source crowd were half as talented as they like to think of themselves they should easily be able to out-Apple Apple. Except with the latest releases they seem to be going backwards on usability with their GUI shell environments - to the point that even Linus is taking them to task for being obtuse! To them the user interface is an afterthought - and it shows!
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #44
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
Since the Tivo upgrade market isn't exactly a high volume market, are their "outrageously high NET profit" really that outrageous? They do have to make enough profit to justify staying in business!

If the market were as lucrative as you are naively making it out to be, they would have pleanty of competitors.

I think the fact that they are pretty much alone answers your questions and address the "outrageously high NET profit" assertion as well
Are you quoting me to answer someone else, or did you completely misunderstand the point I was making, that Weaknees prices are not unreasonable, because if they were, someone else would underprice them and steal all of their customers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote