TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
snowbunny

s03 error -> kickstart 57 -> repeated green screen.

Hello all,

I kept getting the S03 error even when I forced a manual connection to Tivo (over the network). My network was fine - no issues, no issues transferring streaming content during this time. I even forced a connection ensuring that 'nothing' was going on (tuning adapter off, no streaming) - still S03.

I then used kickstart 57 - research on this seemed to indicate that this would try to perform a sort of fsck or disk check to see if the disk could be cleaned up and made sane, to see if this was the issue.

Now I have a worse problem in that the S3 is unusable. It's stuck in a green-screen loop - I always get the "Powering up" and "almost there" screens, and then I get the same green screen telling me I have a serious problem and that it could take up to three hours to fix.

I've tried a kickstart 54, and it does seem to be able to go into kickstart mode, but still - green screen.

I have a dream that there could be diagnostics available to put on a USB drive and insert into the S3...but I think it's a dream. It seems that the initial indication is that the drive is now unusable and must be replaced.

Anything else I should try before surgery?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Hello all,

I kept getting the S03 error even when I forced a manual connection to Tivo (over the network). My network was fine - no issues, no issues transferring streaming content during this time. I even forced a connection ensuring that 'nothing' was going on (tuning adapter off, no streaming) - still S03.

I then used kickstart 57 - research on this seemed to indicate that this would try to perform a sort of fsck or disk check to see if the disk could be cleaned up and made sane, to see if this was the issue.

Now I have a worse problem in that the S3 is unusable. It's stuck in a green-screen loop - I always get the "Powering up" and "almost there" screens, and then I get the same green screen telling me I have a serious problem and that it could take up to three hours to fix.

I've tried a kickstart 54, and it does seem to be able to go into kickstart mode, but still - green screen.

I have a dream that there could be diagnostics available to put on a USB drive and insert into the S3...but I think it's a dream. It seems that the initial indication is that the drive is now unusable and must be replaced.

Anything else I should try before surgery?
Did 54 get you to the screen shown here?

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-hd-tests.php

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
snowbunny

No - it still goes to the GSOD after I enter "54." I didn't get a GSOD until I forced one via kickstart 57. 12 hours after forcing kickstart 57, I was still stuck on GSOD (no reboot) so I powered off and back on. Then the TiVo started the reboot/GSOD cycling.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
unitron

The last paragraph here

http://www.fixmytivo.com/tivo-s03-error.php

explains something of what might be going on.

I get the feeling a new hard drive may be in your future.

While you're cleaing the rust off of your Torx drivers, you can look at this to see what you should have done

http://texasblindjack.com/tag/s03-error/

and then look at this

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

and try KS 0, 51, 52, and 56 in I have no idea which order, but at least the results might give clues.

When you do finally wind up taking the cover off (if it comes to that), hook the drive up to a computer and run WinMFS, select the drive, click on mfsinfo, see if it's set to boot from 2, 3, 4 or 5, 6, 7.

Then use the fix bootpage (or whatever it's called) to change that.

Option 1 will set it to boot from 234 and option 2 will set it to boot from 567, so choose whatever changes it from whatever it's set at.

Then click on mfsinfo again to confirm that it has changed.

Turn off the computer, put the drive back in the TiVo and see what happens.

Probably couldn't hurt to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive while it's in the computer, either.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
ravingfans

S03 Error Solution

I'm posting this in all the S03 threads I found, since it is so frustrating:

Through a LOT of trail and error, I've discovered increasing the swap space to 2000 or 2GB allows TiVo to connect to the TiVo Servers and process the large program guide data update. I don't know if you can do this on an existing disk--seems doubtful to me. I used WinMFS on a new disk and have had no problems since. On the same disk I had the trouble with smaller swap partitions, especially the default.
ravingfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
.........you can look at this to see what you should have done

http://texasblindjack.com/tag/s03-error/
Is this a permanent fix? If the basic problem is bad sectors then this procedure must do something to mark off the bad sectors if it's going to be a permanent fix. Or are there other things that can cause S03?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Is this a permanent fix? If the basic problem is bad sectors then this procedure must do something to mark off the bad sectors if it's going to be a permanent fix. Or are there other things that can cause S03?
I just stumbled over that website as a result of finding stuff on other sites where people sang its praises, so, don't ask me, ask jack.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
tootal2

you need to unplug your tivo from the the internet for about 5 days so tivo can get caught up with the program info.

and DO NOT repeat guided setup. If you run the guided setup with a s03 error you will brick your tivo
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote