TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
svms
Mike

TiVo To Calendar - Adding upcoming recordings to Google Calendar

Hey all,

I'm new to the TiVo community forums an apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum for this posting.

I wrote a tool that works on Windows 7 / Vista that automatically adds upcoming TiVo recordings to Google Calendar. It's at wishicouldsoftware.com.

For years, I kept asking my wife, "What shows are recording tonight?" For some time now, I've been using Google calendar which sends an email each morning with everything in my calendar for the day. One day I thought "I Wish I Could have my TiVo recordings appear in my calendar so that I can see what's recording that day in my morning email." I also wanted the tool to be able to run periodically without me having to do anything. And let me just add certain types of shows that I want in my calendar and be notified of them before the show starts. This comes in handy when a live sporting event or awards show is recording so that you can have a better chance to watch it before finding out the results online or from a friend or relative calling.

If interested, please try it out. I'd really like to get your feedback.

Thanks,
Mike
svms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Aero 1

neat

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Tobashadow

No series 2 support please add that to post.

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's pretty darn cool, svms! I'm a Mac user myself, but stuff like this is very much appreciated. It's a compelling idea and it looks like you've accomplished the trick rather nicely.

You'll probably get a better response if you post this into the TiVo Underground as well. That's where lots of coders share work such as this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
svms
Mike

@Fofer... Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion. I'll do that.

@Tobashadow... The app supports all of the upcoming recordings that show up on the TiVo To-Do pages on the TiVo web site (sorry, the newsgroup won't let me include the link). I'm not aware of exactly what boxes that refers to, but my understanding is that is all boxes that send their recording data into the central server (and I thought that Series 2 does that, no?).
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
ggieseke

[quote=svms;8620467@Tobashadow... The app supports all of the upcoming recordings that show up on the TiVo To-Do pages on the TiVo web site (sorry, the newsgroup won't let me include the link). I'm not aware of exactly what boxes that refers to, but my understanding is that is all boxes that send their recording data into the central server (and I thought that Series 2 does that, no?).[/QUOTE]

Series 2 TiVos don't send that data.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
ybtrue

My Norton is not allowing me to download the file (tivotocal-install.exe). It is giving me the message "This Insight Network Threat has been removed." (WS.Reputation.1)

Last edited by ybtrue : 07-25-2011 at 07:18 AM.
ybtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

This sounds like an interesting program. I'll need to give it a try this weekend. thanks!
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
svms
Mike

Norton deleting fle on download

I encountered the same problem with Norton on my machine. As a user, I find that functionality useful knowing that the antivirus software is looking out for me. But it should at least give me the option to run something and not block it because not enough people have run it yet or the web site is too new.

I wrote the tool myself and Norton doesn't have the problem with the installer file prior to uploading it the server via FTP, but when downloaded via the web page Norton doesn't like it.

Norton has a process for resolving this issue which I have initiated and it may take some time (they say maybe 2 weeks). In the meantime, please try downloading on another machine or disable Norton or use a different Norton setting if you can figure out how.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Just installed this. Seriously wonderful software!

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
lafos

I like this a lot. It tells me which TiVo is recording and even grabs the show description. Very nice.

It did seem flustered when I selected "All TiVos" and did not populate the calendar. I'm working my way through one by one. Has anyone had success with multiple TiVos?
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Slight problem. The program works, my calendar is populated, but...

I'm not getting the daily email. I *definitely* have selected the "Daily Agenda" email at 5am. Any clues?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
xclgreen

Ohh, great. Thanks for the information.
xclgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
svms
Mike

Google's Daily Agenda email seems to be working for me, but has been very flaky in the past and may be acting up again. Here's a link (one of many I suppose) about it.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
muzzymate

Thank you so much for this software!

It's working great on my Windows Home Server box (based on Windows Server 2003). Looks to be properly populating my calendar with all the recordings from my two Premieres.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
djl25
C64 hacker

I apologize to svms for a small threadjack, but if your series 2 is hacked you can get similar functionality from the latest versions of Tivowebplus. There's a module called ToDoFeed which provides an iCal-formatted list of your scheduled recordings, directly from the Tivo itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Series 2 TiVos don't send that data.

djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
waterchange

Mike, thanks for the tool. Seems really useful especially in a google calendar format where I can toggle on/off which calendars I'm viewing.

Hate to even bring this up but being a paranoid developer, have you given though to posting sources? A small part of me worries about entering login/password information for two private accounts w/o being able to confirm that they won't be collected by some nefarious third party..
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
appleye1

I really like this software too, but one thing really bugs me. You can't seem to collect data from multiple Tivos automatically.

If you select "All Tivo Boxes" it doesn't work. It runs every so often and says it's collecting data and updating the calendar, but in fact nothing happens. I've got three Tivos that I want to update my calendar from and I don't want to have to do each one manually.

And while somebody is fixing that , I wonder if it's possible to fix another thing that bugs me. Right now you can select one Tivo or all Tivos (if that worked that is.) I'd like to be able to select something in between. I have 5 Tivos on my account, but one of them is my wife's and the another one is my daughter's. I really only want my 3 Tivos on my calendar. Currently there is no way to do that without doing each one manually.

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Safe to assume this wont run under XP? Got it working under 7 but wanted to use it on my home server, which is XP.
KungFuCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Does your PC have to be running 24/7 for this to be useful? What if you typically run it through the daytime hours but shut down at night? Does this run as a service?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
pileosnafu

Very nice piece of code
pileosnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Today, for the first time, I rec'd the daily email. I had spent a week tweaking every setting, searching online help forum, etc, trying to get this to work. The "TiVo to Calendar" part works great, but I could not get the email notification to work. I even tried having it use a calendar on an older actual GMail account (I have a Gmail Apps account), to see if that would work. Nada.

Today, a week after I gave up, my first email notification shows up. And looks great! What a fantastic app!

Hopefully, the emails will keep coming. Still can't figure out why it wouldn't work, or why it started.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
astrohip
Stuart F

First, thank you again for a fantastic program. I love it, use it and rely on it. That is, once Gmail calendars started working (again--no idea why it didn't at first, and no idea why it finally started).

Quick question: I run the program minimized to the SysTray, where it sits quietly doing its job 24/7. Sometimes when I am using the Windows Alt-Tab function to switch between active programs, TtC is listed/shown. And at other times, it's not. I know that TtC is still running minimized in either case; it is not open on the desktop.

Any idea why? It's not a big deal, it's not even a little deal. I'm just curious why sometimes it gets shown.

Thanks for this jewel of a program!

Stuart
Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
reneg

I'd forgotten about this app, but this reminded me why I don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleye1 View Post
And while somebody is fixing that , I wonder if it's possible to fix another thing that bugs me. Right now you can select one Tivo or all Tivos (if that worked that is.) I'd like to be able to select something in between. I have 5 Tivos on my account, but one of them is my wife's and the another one is my daughter's. I really only want my 3 Tivos on my calendar. Currently there is no way to do that without doing each one manually.
If only the Tivo select list could be multi-select instead of single or all. I only want to see a subset of the Tivos that are on my account.

Last edited by reneg : 12-16-2011 at 04:53 PM.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
svms
Mike

Thanks for the comments and feedback all. I try to reply to all of the posts and just haven't seen some of the questions until now for me to reply to...

@appleeye1: These issues/features should be resolved/completed with the upcoming update which should be available very soon (hopefully days away). Check boxes will allow you to specify which boxes to use to update your calendar.

@waterchange: I understand the concern. There really aren't any third parties involved with this code (which I wrote myself). The usernames and passwords are only used via secure login to log into the sites of TiVo and Google, respectively and not sent anywhere. This is the same as you logging in manually to the sites via their secure web pages.

@KungFuCow: This theoretically might work with XP (as long as the latest version of .NET is installed on it), but I haven't tested this scenario.

@dlfl: This doesn't run as a service and doesn't need to be running 24/7.

@astrohip: The window shouldn't appear in the Alt+Tab window list upon launching minimized. This has been fixed in the upcoming update.

@reneg: Please see my comments to appleeye1.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
reneg

Looking forward to trying your update when it's available.

I don't know if you can fix this, but it seems that individual show padding is not taken into account.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #27
SeanC
ECT

I updated to 114 today, couple of points:

The old version detects that there is a new version, but upgrading automatically doesn't work, it just goes into a loop of uninstalling and reinstalling. Downloading 114 and updating manually was required.

When the new version ran and I checked my calendar, instead of having 10 days I only have 4 on the calendar. I cleared the calender and updated again, but still, only 4 days.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #28
Royster
Beardy

I have to be a very trusting person to type my Google password into this program.

"I <3 Royster" Polcamilla, jtlytle, danielhart
"Royster, you rock!" Olive Juice, ClassicX, betts4
"I mostly blame Royster" Jesda
Royster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #29
svms
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I updated to 114 today, couple of points:

The old version detects that there is a new version, but upgrading automatically doesn't work, it just goes into a loop of uninstalling and reinstalling. Downloading 114 and updating manually was required.

When the new version ran and I checked my calendar, instead of having 10 days I only have 4 on the calendar. I cleared the calender and updated again, but still, only 4 days.
@SeanC: Thanks for the info. Regarding the update... I missed uploading a file to the site (now up there). Regarding the number of recordings shown, since the web site isn't reliable for me I default to just a single page of recordings in the new version. What this means is that, as when you login to the site manually, anything that appears when you hit More to get to subsequent pages won't appear by default. If you really miss this feature and don't consider the reliability of the updates to be degraded, you can specify " -more" (without quotes) at the end of the command-line when the program is run. I'll look into adding the More back by default in a future update, but this is a workaround if it's something that you can't live without. I hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #30
SeanC
ECT

Ahhhhh, well, that explains that. Not a big deal either way, I just wasn't sure if something was wrong or not. I'm a big believer in stability over features, I'll turn on more and see how it goes, if it gives me problems, I'll just turn it off again. Thanks for the quick explanation.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote