TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #391
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NG]Owner View Post
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and I don't know. Heatsink color? Really? No f-ing clue. Nothing struck me as out of the ordinary 18 months ago when I performed the upgrade. And I'm not about to crack open the boxes to look now!

The power button on the TA did its job. After about two and a half hours of the TA being off (Internet was available that whole time), GC updated. No more warning messages about guide data running out!

[NG]Owner
Well then, if the drives are the same I guess we can officially list the cause of the problem as gremlins.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #392
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
AND THE FUN CONTINUES!

So I did the reboot, connected back to the internet, and initiated a connection. After 9+ hours it's still stuck on "Loading (Setting Clock)" and the System Information page looks scary, with most info missing and my Account Type listed as C:120311 (which I assume means a month to month account? I've always had lifetime). So I'm rebooting again, have disconnected the TA, and will initiate another connection.
This morning I checked and the connection had been successful, the GC date was current, and everything seemed back to normal in my Settings (showing my Lifetime). Though it still only shows guide data for a week out instead of two. But at this point, I'll take it. Now to get the TA on a timer - does it need to be every day, or could it be every few days (requiring a digital timer that you can set for certain days)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #393
unitron

Quote:
This morning I checked and the connection had been successful, the GC date was current, and everything seemed back to normal in my Settings (showing my Lifetime). Though it still only shows guide data for a week out instead of two. But at this point, I'll take it. Now to get the TA on a timer - does it need to be every day, or could it be every few days (requiring a digital timer that you can set for certain days)?
Congrats on your success!

Maybe this is just TiVo good luck day in the ol' river city. Overnight I stumbled into a solution for using all of a 2TB drive in the S3 HD I just acquired and repaired the power supply on.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #394
WO312

Quote:
The timer can be on any schedule you want. Every few days will work just fine. Once a week will work just fine. The only downside to infrequent program updates is that you will miss any last minute program changes, but I don't think they happen very often anyway.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #395
WO312

Quote:
.... Though it still only shows guide data for a week out instead of two. ......
Are you looking at Guide Cache instead of "Program Information to" again?? Overnight I would expect 2 weeks of program information. Guide cache is always just 1 week.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #396
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Overnight I stumbled into a solution for using all of a 2TB drive in the S3 HD I just acquired and repaired the power supply on.
Please tell us more about the 2TB drive solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #397
Teeps

Quote:
Now to get the TA on a timer - does it need to be every day, or could it be every few days (requiring a digital timer that you can set for certain days)?

10 bucks at Ace Hardware brand. Turns off and on daily.
A digital would be good, some may say better. But I wouldn't spend the extra bucks at this point.
Mine is set to turn off power at 0100 and back on at 0400, daily.
So far GC updates every other day in the 0300 hour range (today's said 0311.)
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #398
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Are you looking at Guide Cache instead of "Program Information to" again?? Overnight I would expect 2 weeks of program information. Guide cache is always just 1 week.
LOL

NONE of the dates on any of the screens were anything past 11/15 or so...I SWEAR! Because I looked at everything over and over to make sure I was seeing correctly. But...I just looked again and the Program information date says 11/22 so maybe the guide data just wasn't fully done updating yet when I checked first thing this morning?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
10 bucks at Ace Hardware brand. Turns off and on daily.
A digital would be good, some may say better. But I wouldn't spend the extra bucks at this point.
Mine is set to turn off power at 0100 and back on at 0400, daily.
So far GC updates every other day in the 0300 hour range (today's said 0311.)
I am setting this up immediately! Thanks!

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #399
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
Please tell us more about the 2TB drive solution.
I hope you haven't already seen my epic saga

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...76#post8799076

and are just being sarcastic.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #400
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
Sunday afternoon, October 25 I crossed the USB cables as indicated above. Both TIVOs have continued to tune the SDV channels even though their USBs were connected to a different TA than their Coax. I left them completely alone. Both TIVOs ran their service connection calls each day.
Then:
Today, Tuesday October 27, both TIVO's completed GC all on their own. The Elite with the older TA updated GC today at 11:20 AM. The THD with the newer TA updated GC at 4:24 PM. This is the first time in nearly a year that the THD updated GC on it's own!!
I hope I am not jumping the gun here and that this is not just a coincidence. Time will tell but it is now apparent that:
1. The premiere Elite has no problem with either of the Cisco STA1520s.
2. The THD, which never in recent memory updated GC on its own with the older model TA has now done so on its first try after two days with the newer model 1520.
I am going to leave them both alone until Sunday October 30 and see what happens. If the good news turns into a trend by then I will try go into the TA diagnostics and report what model, version, etc. Info I can find. I will probably need some guidance on exactly what to look for there.
This is at least a preliminary indication that the THD GC that did not work with the older incarnation of the TA works with the newer one.
Well, the HD updated only once by itself. Unplugged USB forced connection and GC happened in a couple of hours. After that there was again one GC update by itself. Got down to only 8 days left in the guide with no GC, so I put the USB cable back to the original configuration and before plugging back into the TA forced another service connection. Today I had to do it again but GC shows completed at same time as service connection succeeded. Only took about 15 minutes total. I have run USB extender cable around to front and plan to continue that way for a while.
BTW both TA's show the 1501 firmware update.
The Elite continues to do both the Service Connection and GC daily. No problem with it so far. I guess the answer to the question posed by this thread is that Tivo will fix the problem on the 12th (of Never!)
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #401
wtherrell

Quote:
I want to get a premier elite. But, it appears that they have some problems too... So I will wait until, sometime, next year before considering a purchase.
So far my Elite does NOT have this problem. GC occurs daily before the service connection.
I am very happy with the Elite except for the HD UI
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #402
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
I hope you haven't already seen my epic saga

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...76#post8799076

and are just being sarcastic.
Actually I wasn't so all is OK. Hadn't seen that, but am reading now. And sorry for the thread diversion. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #403
trackie999

How about # of recordings, # of season passes? I would not be surprised that the one that is working has less season passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NG]Owner View Post
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and I don't know. Heatsink color? Really? No f-ing clue. Nothing struck me as out of the ordinary 18 months ago when I performed the upgrade. And I'm not about to crack open the boxes to look now!

The power button on the TA did its job. After about two and a half hours of the TA being off (Internet was available that whole time), GC updated. No more warning messages about guide data running out!

[NG]Owner

trackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #404
WO312

Quote:
Well, the HD updated only once by itself. Unplugged USB forced connection and GC happened in a couple of hours. After that there was again one GC update by itself. Got down to only 8 days left in the guide with no GC, so I put the USB cable back to the original configuration and before plugging back into the TA forced another service connection. Today I had to do it again but GC shows completed at same time as service connection succeeded. Only took about 15 minutes total. I have run USB extender cable around to front and plan to continue that way for a while.
BTW both TA's show the 1501 firmware update.
The Elite continues to do both the Service Connection and GC daily. No problem with it so far. I guess the answer to the question posed by this thread is that Tivo will fix the problem on the 12th (of Never!)
The 12th of Never, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #405
unitron

Is this a North Carolina problem or a Time-Warner Cable problem or a TWC-NC problem?

'Cause this is kind of a tar heel heavy thread.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #406
Teeps

Got an answer from dvr_dude today about the swap file.

He says the swap file is set to 300MB, on the 2TB upgrade drive.

Running out of guide data, problem, started on my machine before the HDD upgrade. And, coincidentally a couple weeks after Time Warner,Torrance turned on SDV, Necessitating the use of a their tuning adapter.

Last edited by Teeps : 11-11-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #407
Teeps

Quote:
So far my Elite does NOT have this problem. GC occurs daily before the service connection.
I am very happy with the Elite except for the HD UI
The problems I see are different and even more ominous...

I'm just not ready to spend $500 for more problems. I can deal with the current problem for a while longer. Hoping that TiVo will discover and fix it.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #408
WO312

Quote:
Is this a North Carolina problem or a Time-Warner Cable problem or a TWC-NC problem?

'Cause this is kind of a tar heel heavy thread.
This is a nation-wide TWC problem. I think I remember one person who had this problem that was not TWC, but it seems to be overwhelmingly TWC.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #409
unitron

Quote:
This is a nation-wide TWC problem. I think I remember one person who had this problem that was not TWC, but it seems to be overwhelmingly TWC.
Maybe NC is more TiVo appreciative overall (must be from slo-mo'ing ACC basketball), and that's skewing the results.

Nice to see my "blame TWC first" bias re-confirmed, though.:
Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #410
chrisdfw

My TiVo is sold and so far happy with Media Center “7 tuners fantastic”. But has anyone tried a smaller drive? With a 500 GB drive is was getting GC updates and even a few suggestions.
chrisdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #411
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdfw View Post
My TiVo is sold and so far happy with Media Center “7 tuners fantastic”. But has anyone tried a smaller drive? With a 500 GB drive is was getting GC updates and even a few suggestions.
Please update us going forward with your experience with Recorded TV HD. Looks interesting. I'm curious how this compares with Tivo. I absolutely hate the interface of Media Center 7, but if your interface has a nice experience, maybe that is something I would consider.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #412
Teeps

Who here among us, with the guide data running out problem, has their TiVo hard wired to the internet?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #413
unitron

Quote:
Who here among us, with the guide data running out problem, has their TiVo hard wired to the internet?
In my case it has nothing to do with SDV 'cause we're on analog cable, but apparently the annual Series 1 denial of data has begun, because I've got an S1 with a cache card about 4 feet of CAT5 away from the router that hasn't been able to successfully complete a connection and download since Oct. 31.

The S2s, 2 wired, 2 on wireless G adapters, no problems getting downloads.

The new HD, too soon to tell what its problems are, but I can ping it over wireless.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #414
DougJohnson

Quote:
You mean Cat 5 connected vs. wireless or directly connected vs. through a router/firewall? Mine is Cat 5 connected via a router/firewall. -- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #415
WO312

Quote:
I also am hard wired. At least my Tivo is.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #416
unitron

Quote:
I also am hard wired. At least my Tivo is.
I'm wired too.

Scored some "throwback" Mountain Dew.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #417
trackie999

Shielded cat 6 cables from each Tivo -> Netgear GST108T -> cable modem.

Quote:

trackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #418
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps
Well, kinda. As far as the TiVo knows, it's on ethernet, but that physical cable goes to a wireless n bridge to the rest of the network.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #419
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
You mean Cat 5 connected vs. wireless or directly connected vs. through a router/firewall? Mine is Cat 5 connected via a router/firewall. -- Doug
Yes, TiVo connected with wires to either a router or cable modem.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #420
Teeps

The reason I asked the question is dvr_dude suggested that I connect my TiVo-S3 to the internet, via a RJ45 connection to a wireless adapter. Instead of a USB wireless adapter. I'm guessing he was thinking that there was a bottle neck in system's incoming data flow... some how causing "our problem."

So the info above, some hard wired and one hard wired to a wireless router answers my question.
Eccles has, the RJ45 to wireless setup, and he has the "Guide Data" problem too.
So much for the idea that the data was not transferring fast enough over the USB connection.
This also would indicate that TiVo's USB connections are not conflicting with each other.

Last edited by Teeps : 11-12-2011 at 11:30 AM.