TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
bkdtv

RVU -- Will TiVo join the party? Or will it be left behind?

From this Engadget article on RVU:

Quote:
The concept is that you'd get a RVU server from your content provider (like DirecTV but it could also be cable or anyone else) and plug it into your home network. Then you'd buy HDTVs from the likes of Samsung with a RVU client built in, or you could even plug the RVU server directly into the TV. Then you can go to any TV in your house that is also an RVU client and access the exact same experience. This experience includes the ability to watch or record the same shows that you can from any other TV. Now the key part that get our minds going is the fact that Samsung obviously wants to sell TVs with this built in, otherwise why join the alliance? And then there is Cisco and DirecTV, both companies that make DVRs. So obviously they have interest in creating an RVU server. So as you can see this concept holds some real of potential.
Quote:
In addition to DirecTV, Cisco and Samsung, the chip maker Broadcom is also one of the founding members of the alliance
Quote:
According to our old friend Rômulo Pontual, DIRECTV's chief technology officer, "We are committed to the RVU technology and are planning to deploy it in media servers and clients beginning early in 2010."
If DirecTV plans such a media server in early 2010, then that suggests that the next-generation Broadcom CPUs are just a few months from volume availability.

Wouldn't it be great if you could access your TiVo -- including recordings and live TV -- from any new TV (supporting RVU) in your home, without the need for another box?

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
richsadams

Sign me up!

richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Uh, huh.

And once again the movie industry and cable companies will mark every program as "Do not play along with RVU"

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
And once again the movie industry and cable companies will mark every program as "Do not play along with RVU"
AFAIK, "RVU" uses DTCP-IP so streaming is permitted with copy protected content.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
mchief
Morey

I wondering how this will play with the DLNA certified Samsung TV I just bought. I can stream movies from the desktop to the TV via ethernet and plug in a USB HDD or thumb drive containing movies, photos, music.

SAMSUNG HDTV LN55B650
Hitachi HDTV 42HDS69
mchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
zabolots

Yeah, this will be out right after tru2way...

zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
moyekj

Other issue not addressed is on the networking side. Unless server and client support something like built in MoCA capability this is always a problem especially for consumers using wireless for networking. You have to have a reliable/robust network connection or heavy buffering on the client side for video streaming to work flawlessly and often wireless just doesn't fit the bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
daveak
Series 3 Novice

And how would this effect any potential dealing between DirectTV and TiVo for a future box? Or is this something being factored in as a new box is designed/ constructed? I would think that if DirecTV and TiVo are really doing a new box - then it would have to work with this? A new series 4 might be quite the box...

daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
fyodor

I thought I read somewhere that Broadcom is planning a SoC with built in MoCA.

F

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Other issue not addressed is on the networking side. Unless server and client support something like built in MoCA capability this is always a problem especially for consumers using wireless for networking. You have to have a reliable/robust network connection or heavy buffering on the client side for video streaming to work flawlessly and often wireless just doesn't fit the bill.

Last edited by fyodor; 08-20-2009 at 06:44 PM.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Broadcom is planning a SoC with built in MoCA.

F
I think some of the newer DVRs being deployed by cable companies and Dish have built in MoCA capabilities already, so it would make a lot of sense if this so called RVU Server have it built in as well.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hells to the yeah. Count me in too.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think some of the newer DVRs being deployed by cable companies and Dish have built in MoCA capabilities already, so it would make a lot of sense if this so called RVU Server have it built in as well.
I had a nice talk with the CTO of Cisco and he actually mentioned MoCA when talking about the RVU client, so yeah, it's on the radar.

bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

early 2010? really??

Old 08-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
ntbert

My money would be on 2020.

ntbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
lafos

I didn't see any reference to a RVU client STB. Without it, they'd be counting on people replacing multiple TV's and getting the server, and paying the subscription fees. With TV's costs, I generally keep them for 10+ years. So yes, it'll be 2020 for me.

lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
JWThiers
Smartypants

If I can get a client box and not replace my current tv's I just bough within the last 18 months. Count me in before I need to replace the TV. Otherwise 2020.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #17
bkdtv

Verizon just announced that they joined the RVU group as a "founding promoter." [Source]

Old 09-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Remember that 4 tuner whole house DVR that DirecTV demod at CES like 5 years back...?

Wonder how that's coming along....

Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
Allanon

I doubt the cable companies will sign up because they are making too much money renting cable boxes and charging a digital gateway fee for each TV in your home.

Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
HarperVision

Maybe this is finally coming to fruition?

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...1#post10608841

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/vi...id=60001076089

Quote:
With RVU capability, a TV that is connected to the home network can discover and play/record content from any compatible source of entertainment content on that network. These sources can be Pay-TV set-top boxes (such as DIRECTV Genie), Blu-Ray Disc Players, game consoles, TiVo DVRs, Roku, A/V receivers...basically any CE device that can output audio or video.

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote