TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
mcf57

Question Hard drive upgrade options for a Series 3

I have a Series 3 (model #TCD652160) with a stock drive that is working fine. Looking to upgrade its internal hard drive to larger size. I have initially thought about going with a 1TB drive and I think this is the one to maybe get:

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Green-Deskt...s=wd+1tb+green

However, I am reading that this model can be upgraded to 2TB so may consider it. What are the WD models recommended for 1.5 and 2TB?
500GB 2-tuner Premiere
500GB S3 (OLED)
160GB TiVO HD
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'd start with the upgrade thread stickied at the top of the forum
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...70784&page=333

Just the last few pages will answer your question.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'd start with the upgrade thread stickied at the top of the forum
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...70784&page=333

Just the last few pages will answer your question.
In fact you have to take the first few pages of that thread with a big grain of salt, since it is so out of date and hasn't been edited to make it current.

If you post exactly what you want to do in that thread, you will get a good answer quickly.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

I put a WD20EZRX in my Series 3 "648" OLED model about two months ago. Paid $70 on sale from Frys. Two year WD warranty, and my credit card, much like most major credit card, extends that another year.

Working fine to date.

You're robably going to get lot of differing opinions on models, etc. and it may be a bit confusing. Good luck!

HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
I put a WD20EZRX in my Series 3 "648" OLED model about two months ago. Paid $70 on sale from Frys. Two year WD warranty, and my credit card, much like most major credit card, extends that another year.

Working fine to date.

You're robably going to get lot of differing opinions on models, etc. and it may be a bit confusing. Good luck!
Looks like it's on sale again for $69 'til the 25th.

http://www.frys.com/product/7725678

You may need to disable Intellipark on it.

I'd get one and use it in the TiVo now, and then later copy it to a WD20EURS or WD20EURX--when you find a good deal on one of them--to go into the TiVo, and use the EZRX in a PC where you're running TiVo Desktop or some other TiVo recording importing software.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
mcf57

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Looks like it's on sale again for $69 'til the 25th.

http://www.frys.com/product/7725678

You may need to disable Intellipark on it.

I'd get one and use it in the TiVo now, and then later copy it to a WD20EURS or WD20EURX--when you find a good deal on one of them--to go into the TiVo, and use the EZRX in a PC where you're running TiVo Desktop or some other TiVo recording importing software.
I wound up getting one of these. Will prep and install and see if intellipark needs to be disabled.
500GB 2-tuner Premiere
500GB S3 (OLED)
160GB TiVO HD
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I wound up getting one of these. Will prep and install and see if intellipark needs to be disabled.
I can guarantee you, that it will need to be disabled, or set to 300 seconds (the max setting). If the drive firmware rejects the WDIDLE3.EXE /D command, you use the /S300 to set it for the max. The status can be verified with /R, which reports the current status, and can be used to verify the drive accepted the parameter.

The issue with not disabling it, is a warm-reboot, that does not involve pulling the power cord, will let the default EZRX setting park the heads during a period of drive inactivity while the TiVo is only accessing the PROM. The unit will hang on the startup screen.

All of the non-AV-GP Green series drives are still shipped with the idle mode 3 timer set to just a few seconds. The Roamio product line boots differently, and is not affected by it.

The variable that many confuse about the "if needed" part, when excluding the Roamio, is that WD used to ship the AV-GP EURS/EURX drives with the same few-seconds timeout set. They stopped doing so years ago, and have been shipping with it set to "Disabled", ever since. There was a period of time where the mfg date of the drive you got could have been on one side of the change, or the other. You didn't get that model, so using a PC, and a direct SATA connection to the mainboard, along with a special boot disk/disc, will be necessary.

Talk to unitron, on getting a copy of what he recently downloaded to use for his own upgrade.