TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #31
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I finally had an oportunity to try the app on my daughters iTouch.

I like it, they did a nice job configuring it for the smaller screen. Everything setup easily for my S3 and HD models - although it did require a reboot for all the boxes - not quite sure why that is.

My daughter is pretty excited to have the app on her device - but I use the ipad mostly for the family room Premier.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #32
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
If they could add streaming (which I doubt will ever happen), that app would be perfect.

This article (which admittedly, could be wrong or just worded poorly) says that RCN Somerville customers get mobile access to RCN's "on-demand content," as well as "personal picks on customers' 'now playing' list."

If true, and it offers streaming, I'm wondering how they managed to (legally and technically) pull that off. I'm also wondering why we haven't heard more about it.

If not, and it's just showing the guide, and the names of shows recorded, that's a horribly misleading article.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #33
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer

This article (which admittedly, could be wrong or just worded poorly) says that RCN Somerville customers get mobile access to RCN's "on-demand content," as well as "personal picks on customers' 'now playing' list."

If true, and it offers streaming, I'm wondering how they managed to (legally and technically) pull that off. I'm also wondering why we haven't heard more about it.

If not, and it's just showing the guide, and the names of shows recorded, that's a horribly misleading article.
There's two possibilities here as to what the article is referring to:

1. RCN VOD streams to the app. I don't think this is likely. It's not impossible since the Comcast Xfinity app streams Xfinity VOD and does DVR management, but I doubt the TiVo app has streaming playback capabilities.

2. RCN VOD content can be searched for and playback initiated from the app. This is a lot more likely as it's not much different than what the app already does for Netflix, Blockbuster, Hulu Plus and Amazon content. You can "get" the content from those providers using the app, but it simply displays on the TiVo. It basically acts as a shortcut to Netflix, Amazon, etc program page. My guess is that RCN VOD will simply be added as another provider.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #34
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I agree with you. I just think the article reported it wrong and is written badly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
javabird

The app seems fairly stable on my iPad but seems to crash a lot on my iPhone.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #36
IDSmoker

ARGH!!!

The one thing that really interested me about this app was the inclusion of a keyboard function as part of the remote control screen.

Finally! On those rare occasions when I have the need, I would be able to actually 'type' information into my Series 3 without having to cursor around an on-screen keyboard (and without having to buy the new TiVo remote with the slide-out keyboard).

Well, today was the first time since getting the app that I had occasion to use this function, to enter my YouTube password yet again (and why my S3 can't save this password is a whole 'nother rant!), only to discover that the keyboard of the iPhone app can't actually enter information in place of the TiVo's on-screen keyboard?!?! All you can do is use the cursor controls within the iPhone app just like you would use your physical remote (only with the minor delay you get from the wifi connection).

Is this a limitation of my Series 3 (perhaps it's another 'feature' of the Premiere software they refuse to release for the S3s?), perhaps it's a limitation of the iPhone app (how does the new slide-remote get around this, since it's supposed to be compatible with the S3?), or maybe it's just another user error (was there something else I was supposed to do to get this working?)?

Has anyone ever managed to actually type something into a Series 3, using either the new app or remote?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #37
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

The keyboard will work in the Search menu of the S3/S4 DVR but will not work in HME apps for either DVR at this time.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #38
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
As far as I know, the Premiere has a different networking scheme in it's OS, each keyboard character has it's own assignment. It enable "direct keyboarding" over the network protocol.

That said, if you want to type characters on an S3, I know of a few other options:

The Bluetooth Slide remote works because it puts a Bluetooth dongle on the TiVo, which basically allows it to act like a keyboard. It's sending the keyboard characters over that (USB) mechanism and not the aforementioned networking code.

The other option is to use the excellent DVR Remote app on your iPhone. This one does keyboarding but in a fairly clever way. You type your entry and the app takes care of the arrow moves and maneuvers to get your text entered on the S3. It's pretty sweet, actually. The only catch is you have to swipe to select the character layout you're looking at first. But it's pretty sweet to behold when you see it working.

As far as the YouTube app goes, it seriously sucks. Mine does at least save the password, though. Not that it means much, because the YouTube app also isn't compatible with my YouTube Playlists or Favorites, so what's the point of logging in?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #39
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
The keyboard will work in the Search menu of the S3/S4 DVR but will not work in HME apps for either DVR at this time.
That's interesting, I did not know that. Does the Bluetooth slide remote let you use the keyboard in HME apps?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #40
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
That's interesting, I did not know that. Does the Bluetooth slide remote let you use the keyboard in HME apps?
Nope. Same issue.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #41
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
I can understand why that is for the S3 because the IR CODE for letters doesn't work in HME apps, but on the S4 the KEYBOARD code does work in apps. That's actually what the DVRREMOTE iPhone app uses on the S4 models and it works fine in HME apps.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #42
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer

Works on the Premiere in most apps. Not sure about the S3 since I don't use a slide with my S3.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #43
IDSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Thanks for the excellent info as usual!!!

Nice to know the keyboard does work in the Search menu (I had almost given up on it)! Do you know of any other places it can be used?

Quote:
The other option is to use the excellent DVR Remote app on your iPhone. This one does keyboarding but in a fairly clever way. You type your entry and the app takes care of the arrow moves and maneuvers to get your text entered on the S3. It's pretty sweet, actually. The only catch is you have to swipe to select the character layout you're looking at first. But it's pretty sweet to behold when you see it working.

As far as the YouTube app goes, it seriously sucks. Mine does at least save the password, though. Not that it means much, because the YouTube app also isn't compatible with my YouTube Playlists or Favorites, so what's the point of logging in?
DVR Remote

Anyway, hope this helps.
Thanks for pointing me to DVR Remote! That is exactly what I have been looking for!

It even supports adding custom RSS feeds, in case I manage to lose my bookmark, or TiVo decides to remove that functionality from their web site. Now if only we could subscribe to those custom feeds (and manage all of our subscribed RSS feeds) that'd be one less area for me to rant about.

I also couldn't agree more on the sucky-ness of the YouTube app. Fortunately, the only time I feel the need to use it, is on those rare occasions when I want to watch a YouTube video on a big screen. Speaking of... for those watching the "Mortal Combat - Legacy" online series, the final episode finally came out this week!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #44
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSmoker View Post
It even supports adding custom RSS feeds, in case I manage to lose my bookmark, or TiVo decides to remove that functionality from their web site. Now if only we could subscribe to those custom feeds (and manage all of our subscribed RSS feeds) that'd be one less area for me to rant about.
Glad to help! I haven't really used the custom RSS feed functionality but I can only imagine how much of a pain that would be to manually enter the long URL via the arrow kets on the on-screen keyboard. Yeesh. At least it has some kind of URL automcomplete as you type. And yes, in your case, DVR Remote should fit the bill for typing nicely.

Ridiculous that we can't subscribe to these custom RSS feeds, though. WTF?

And that our regular web video subscriptions don't show up in our Season Pass manager list is just absurd. There's not even one unified listing of them, as far as I know I need to bounce around inside Video On Demand -> Browse Web Videos until I find my subscribed podcasts there and remove them. Very clunky UI, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSmoker View Post
TI also couldn't agree more on the sucky-ness of the YouTube app. Fortunately, the only time I feel the need to use it, is on those rare occasions when I want to watch a YouTube video on a big screen.
All I've ever wanted to do was ease the workflow of this. I don't want to have to remember what video to watch later, or have to manually search for the same video.

If I am on the computer and I see a YouTube video I'd rather watch later or on the TV itself, I'd like to mark it as a favorite, or put it in a playlist (called "watch later" or "watch on TiVo" or whatever.) Seems simple, right? It should be. That's what playlists are for. Except TiVo's YouTube implementation is so broken (so abandoned, really) that it doesn't display our playlists properly.
This 2+ year old bug makes me avoid YouTube entirely on the TiVo. Such a shame.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #45
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I would like to see a couple of small improvements to the S3 integration. Not sure the first is directly possible, but the second should be doable...

1) I wish when you launched to guide it opened with you on the same channel the TiVo was on. The iPad would have to receive that info from the TiVo and i dont think the software currently supports it.

2) I wish you could watch now /swipe to watch from guide. Now, once I find a show I want to watch, I have to bring down the remote and type in the channel number. It may not be elegant, but you would think they could send that same channel string from the guide menu.

Other then those two items, I like it - but the ipad probably won't replace my remote in those rooms...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 AM   #46
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Yes, it does. DeWitt is mistaken. The Slide remote works equivalently to the network remote interface's KEYBOARD command, but it works even on the Series 3, where KEYBOARD is not implemented. (Yet? Come on, TiVo, throw us a bone here.)

Network remotes can use the KEYBOARD command on the Premiere, and IRCODE on Series 3. And HME apps can be written to interpret IRCODE correctly. Unfortunately the only one I know of that does, is my own Reversi.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote