TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
pbonna

old mbr shell shocked at upgrade cost

I have two series one tivo units work great, expect now Cablevision is going completely digital. So the unit will not work as of aug 23, 2011. So I called Tivo and told them I am interested in upgrading unit & I have an existing Lifetime on the boxes. Tivo $399 to upgrade to a livetime on digital box and about guessing $200 for a premier box. So I told Tivo I can rent from Cablevison their DVR box for $10.... that is 120/yr. So it would take me 5-6 years to BREAK EVEN. and by then technology may have changed again.

Tivo wants to keep customers I do not think so..... not at $600-700 to do an upgrade.....shame on Tivo

Curious, what is the response from other on these situations?
pbonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
JPS10

Try calling back and speaking to another rep. Ask about upgrade pricing. You should be able to do better than that. Also, log onto your Tivo acct. and see if you have any upgrade offers.
JPS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
HomeUser

Is that the offer you got from http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/mytivo.do "Get exclusive TiVo customer savings on a TiVoŽ Premiere DVR" ?
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonna View Post
I have two series one tivo units work great, expect now Cablevision is going completely digital. So the unit will not work as of aug 23, 2011.
It will work fine if you get a cable box from the cable company. TiVo has the ability to record from a cable box, instead of it's built in tuner. You just connect the cable box to the TiVo via RCA (yellow, white, red) cables, then connect either the IR blasters or the serial cable so that the TiVo can change the channel on the box.

Since you cable company is going all digital they should provide you with at least one cable box free of charge. The other one you might have to pay a small monthly fee for, but it'll be less then a DVR or TiVo upgrade.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
I have two series one tivo units work great, expect now Cablevision is going completely digital. So the unit will not work as of aug 23, 2011. So I called Tivo and told them I am interested in upgrading unit & I have an existing Lifetime on the boxes. Tivo $399 to upgrade to a livetime on digital box and about guessing $200 for a premier box. So I told Tivo I can rent from Cablevison their DVR box for $10.... that is 120/yr. So it would take me 5-6 years to BREAK EVEN. and by then technology may have changed again.
Umm, you already missed SEVERAL opportunities over the years to upgrade to S3 & TivoHD.. (and even ones to "upgrade" to S2 varieties, but I never thought that was an upgrade)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:

Tivo wants to keep customers I do not think so..... not at $600-700 to do an upgrade.....shame on Tivo

The hardware now only costs $99 now or $299 for the xl model so at most you are looking at $500 for a premiere with lifetime. are you sure they werent offering you $399 out the door?

I would guess cable vision also has more fees to go along with the $9.99 fee like a charge for dvr service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #7
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Since you cable company is going all digital they should provide you with at least one cable box free of charge. The other one you might have to pay a small monthly fee for, but it'll be less then a DVR or TiVo upgrade.
I think Cablevision will give you two DTAs free. The picture quality isn't quite as good since they only have RF coax outputs, but depending on your TV you may not notice the difference.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:

If your going to bit** about the price at least get it right. If you have an existing Series 2 with lifetime it will cost you $500 to buy a Premiere with lifetime.

If the Premiere is worth $500 or not is your call. If you don't even have an HD TV yet I am guessing it isn't.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
pbonna

talked to Tivo again here is exact pricing
Tara: Since this would be the second TiVo box on the account, it would qualify for the multi-service discount on its selected service plan. The standard monthly rate is $19.99 and the Product Lifetime Service is $499], but with the multi-service discount the monthly rate would $14.99 and the Product Lifetime Subscription would only be $399.
pbonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
talked to Tivo again here is exact pricing
Tara: Since this would be the second TiVo box on the account, it would qualify for the multi-service discount on its selected service plan. The standard monthly rate is $19.99 and the Product Lifetime Service is $499], but with the multi-service discount the monthly rate would $14.99 and the Product Lifetime Subscription would only be $399.
So a lifetime TiVo would cost you less than $500 since Amazon has it for $84 right now.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I'm guessing you don't remember what you paid for those Series1 boxes with lifetime. I would bet they cost more than a new premiere with lifetime does today.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:

Did you buy lifetime on either unit on or prior to January 21, 2000?

If so, you can transfer the subscription once to another unit at no cost.

That "grandfathering" was the result of them not originally having made it clear enough that lifetime was for the life of the unit and not the person.

Although in England it turned out what they meant was "lifetime of the unit unless we decide to discontinue the service, in which case you're screwed".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
tsrich

I feel the OP pain. One of our DVRs went out recently, so we've been trying to decide whether to replace it.

It was a series 2. Our other two Tivos are lifetimers, but this one was a 6/month one.

Getting a new one from Tivo will be a significant investment. I've been with Tivo since almost the beginning, but given their lack of technological advancement, I find myself considering TWC's whole house DVR. It costs 20/month, but the new Tivo is gonna run 15/month unless I pay for lifetime.

If I go with TWC, I'll also get access to their large ondemand library, which has an impressive free selection.

I'd hate to leave Tivo after so long, but I feel like they really aren't focused on developing for my market any longer, and everyone else is catching up.
tsrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrich View Post
I feel the OP pain. One of our DVRs went out recently, so we've been trying to decide whether to replace it.

It was a series 2. Our other two Tivos are lifetimers, but this one was a 6/month one.

Getting a new one from Tivo will be a significant investment. I've been with Tivo since almost the beginning, but given their lack of technological advancement, I find myself considering TWC's whole house DVR. It costs 20/month, but the new Tivo is gonna run 15/month unless I pay for lifetime.

If I go with TWC, I'll also get access to their large ondemand library, which has an impressive free selection.

I'd hate to leave Tivo after so long, but I feel like they really aren't focused on developing for my market any longer, and everyone else is catching up.
If you are interested you can still buy new TiVo HD units on ebay for about $75. I believe you could sub it in at your current rate, check with CS.

Good Luck
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrich View Post
I feel like they really aren't focused on developing for my market any longer, and everyone else is catching up.
No doubt the other DVRs are slowly catching up to TiVo, it is a natural market development. But- what market are you that is not being addressed?
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
No doubt the other DVRs are slowly catching up to TiVo, it is a natural market development. But- what market are you that is not being addressed?
He's an individual stand-alone customer.

Recall that Tivo is now primarily focused, or would like to be, on MSO's and similar deals. See the features they've introduced/developed/worked on for MSO's (and Best Buy) while development for the standalone population has languished, and Tivo execs comment that standalone boxes are mostly useful when they need a platform to demonstrate something to MSO's.

Solutions offered to the stand-alone customer market are, at best, coincidental to Tivo's current focus, especially since the stand-alone customer market hasn't been very profitable for Tivo in some time.
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
Series3Sub

I don't think TiVo can be blamed for its own anachronistic business model that it really can't change. They have to get the money from somewhere, and the data it sells on users DVR habits don't quite pay the cookie bill at Alviso, CA. The only place left to get the cash is the purchase of the box and the now high monthly subscription. It costs real money to be a TiVo user. TiVo is what it is. It boils down to those who can and can't afford to be a TiVo user. No news there.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
vikingsquid

For six years I was happy as a lark with my two directv series two tivo units. I was paying for premium service with NFL Sunday ticket and also major league baseball. I used those two tivo units to burn DVDs at will, simply by connecting to a set top DVD burner and using that easy as pi on screen record to VCR command.

TIVO premier does not even have this option. They thought that using software on the computer via network transfer was better. IT IS NOT. the quality loss that comes along with network transfer and software burns is very noticeable when watching the DVD on an HDTV. All those DVDs that I made with series 2 look just fine on my HDTV when I play them using a DVD player with digital up convert through an HDMI cable on my HDTV. Recorded off DIRECTV with an analog DVD burner, they still look Chrystal clear just like that directv signal does on my TV. TIVO made a bad move by reinventing their wheel. The only thing that I do love about my premier is that it can show me the free digital on air broadcasts in true high definition. These on air stations are more clear than anything I get from mediacom. The cable card is also a rant for another time. Not happy about that.
vikingsquid is offline   Reply With Quote