TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
EightOHonE

Humax Series 2... what do i do with it?

hello everyone

i have a Humax TiVo Series 2 with a lifetime subscription, but we pretty much abandoned it when the tv signals went digital. soon after that, we got a TiVo HD XL with a lifetime subscription. so the question is: what can i do with the old S2 unit? is there any resale value left, considering the subscription? actually, i dont even remember now if we were able to transfer the subscription to the HD XL. either way, i have an old unit that is only collecting dust. is there a trade-in program where i can trade in both units for a Premiere model?

also, if i am able to sell the S2 to someone, what steps do i need to take to wipe any personal info from it (that may be associated with the subscription/serial numbers/warranty info or whatnot)?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post
hello everyone

i have a Humax TiVo Series 2 with a lifetime subscription, but we pretty much abandoned it when the tv signals went digital. soon after that, we got a TiVo HD XL with a lifetime subscription. so the question is: what can i do with the old S2 unit? is there any resale value left, considering the subscription? actually, i dont even remember now if we were able to transfer the subscription to the HD XL. either way, i have an old unit that is only collecting dust. is there a trade-in program where i can trade in both units for a Premiere model?

also, if i am able to sell the S2 to someone, what steps do i need to take to wipe any personal info from it (that may be associated with the subscription/serial numbers/warranty info or whatnot)?

thanks
If someone gets the TiVo Service Number they can check with TiVo to confirm the lifetime sub and when it was activated, but TiVo won't tell them who owned it, or where they lived, or any of that.

If you do a clear and delete everything so that it goes straight to Begin Guided Setup when booted up, that should prevent anyone getting anything off of it (not that I think there'd be anything to get off of it), unless they're knowledgeable enough to hook the hard drive up to a computer and decipher all of the various file formats on there, including the proprietary TiVo stuff, in which case they probably know enough to "hack" you without ever touching your TiVo.

Google "site:craigslist.org tivo" and see what others are selling these for around the country, with and without lifetime, and then check eBay and see if anybody's actually selling these with lifetime for what they're asking and figure out what you consider a fair price, then see if you feel like going to the trouble of selling it on eBay or Craigslist, or if you just want to let me PayPal you the cost to mail it to me.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
rifleman69

I want to be................your sledgehammer!
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
EightOHonE

thanks for the info unitron.
does the S2 unit have any actually use still, though? i mean since it's only an analog recorder, its virtually useless these days, right? or are there still people out there using them for other reasons? like a media box, or hacking experiments, or other non-official usage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
does the S2 unit have any actually use still, though? i mean since it's only an analog recorder, its virtually useless these days, right? or are there still people out there using them for other reasons? like a media box, or hacking experiments, or other non-official usage?
I'll be more than happy to either hook it up to our analog cable system or attach a USB wireless adapter and use it where there isn't a cable outlet to copy shows copied from our other TiVos to the computer running TiVo Desktop so I can get stuff watched up while I'm doing something else in the kitchen or the shop or wherever, neither of which violate TiVo's Terms and Conditions.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
ggieseke

Quote:
Just hook it up to a standard cable box or satellite receiver and it will still get everything. Most Series 2s can also use a digital television converter and an antenna to get OTA.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
atmuscarella

If you intend on buying another TiVo at some point you might want to keep it on your account so you qualify for MSD. If you paid $299 for lifetime on your TiVo HD XL that was a MSD rate and that unit would not be a qualifying unit for future MSDs.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
mattack

I'd definitely take it off your hands.. I record off of analog stations (sometimes as "backup" recordings in case of digital artifacts).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
mgrady

This is the only 'good' model if you're using OTA and Dish. There is nothing else from TiVo that works with these two programming sources.

Just do a full reset and you're clean. Bundle it with an OTA digital adapter box, and you've got something worth a little sumpen / sumpen to the right buyer. (If you want to make the most of it.)

Last edited by mgrady : 07-18-2011 at 10:42 AM.
mgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
dslunceford

PM sent...

BTW, which model is it? 40 hour? 80 hour? With/without DVD recorder? (think Humax made 4 different S2 models)

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrady View Post
This is the only 'good' model if you're using OTA and Dish. There is nothing else from TiVo that works with these two programming sources.

Just do a full reset and you're clean. Bundle it with an OTA digital adapter box, and you've got something worth a little sumpen / sumpen to the right buyer. (If you want to make the most of it.)
As far as I know a Series 2 can only control 1 STB at a time.

When OTA was analog you could set it up to record from either OTA (through a coax input & the internal OTA analog tuner) and from a Satellite STB. But when OTA went digital you could not control the Satellite STB and the OTA digital converter with the TiVo, at the same time.

A series 2 has value if someone still has a Standard def TV. A single tuner Humux Series 2 will control a cable STB, Satellite STB, or an OTA digital converter box just fine. They may also be usable with a smaller HD TV but in my opinion once you have a larger HD TV the Series 2 picture just isn't good enough to bother with. I used mine for awhile but really didn't enjoy watching stuff much with the Series 2.

Thanks,

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
classicsat
Astute User

Almost any Series 2 can be set up for two source boxes at a time, but use only one at a time. The exception is the Series 2 DT, and models on TiVo Basic subscription. Series 1s can the same, except they cannot be set for OTA boxes.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote