TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
kdsnet3410

External Modem on a Series 1

I am trying to get my philips series 1 through guided setup. I know the modem is bad so I bought a cheep external modem.

I followed the steps laid out on a tivocommunity forum

When I connect the external modem dials and makes all the great dial up noises but I always get there error: "Failed. Service Not Answering"

I tried to update the dialing number from tivo site with a local number but still no luck.

my current dial prefix is: ,#319,,xxxxxxxxx,

Where xxxxxxxxxx is a local dial upnumber from tivos site.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

~Kevin
kdsnet3410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdsnet3410 View Post
I am trying to get my philips series 1 through guided setup. I know the modem is bad so I bought a cheep external modem.

When I connect the external modem dials and makes all the great dial up noises but I always get there error: "Failed. Service Not Answering"

I tried to update the dialing number from tivo site with a local number but still no luck.

~Kevin
Perhaps the service really isn't answering. The past few months that's been happening off and on to people with good internal modems and people who connect via the internet.

Can you actually hear the dial tone, hear the modem go off-hook at the TiVo's direction, hear the modem dial that local number, and then hear that rushy, swirly, beepy, chirpy sound modems make when they're handshaking?

If so, try changing the 19 to higher or lower numbers, like 96 (which is actually lower) or 28 or33 or 56.

And of course the prefix itself is only supposed to be comma poundsign number number number

The local number you dial is entered separately on another line.

That way it uses the serial port to external modem method even if it dials a toll-free number for something.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:

~Kevin
One other thing.

You have to have version 3 of the S1 software for that external modem trick to work, but if the TiVo is getting the modem to dial out you probably do.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Here are a couple references I used when I did the same thing:

http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivo...ki.net/34.html
http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/ti...ad.php?t=66115
Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
kdsnet3410

The reason for the extra local number at the end was because I read that the toll free numbers used for guided setup were discontinued... Perhaps that is incorrect.

I can hear a dial tone, then dialing, and the modem is making what I think are typical modem sounds (It does seem to repeat the sequence a few times). After the modem shuts up for about 15 seconds it hangs up and the tivo gives me the error.

I tried the other codes and still no luck. Maybe I should just keep trying periodically for the next few days to see if I get through.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
The reason for the extra local number at the end was because I read that the toll free numbers used for guided setup were discontinued... Perhaps that is incorrect.

I can hear a dial tone, then dialing, and the modem is making what I think are typical modem sounds (It does seem to repeat the sequence a few times). After the modem shuts up for about 15 seconds it hangs up and the tivo gives me the error.

I tried the other codes and still no luck. Maybe I should just keep trying periodically for the next few days to see if I get through.
When you go into Messages and Setup, Recorder and Phone Setup, Phone Connection, Change Dialing Options, the first line is Set Dial-In Number.

That's where you put the local number, but don't do it first.

Go down to the next line (Set Dial Prefix) and put in

,#319

then make sure call waiting prefix is none, Tone/Pulse should be Tone, unless you're on the world's oldest phone system, Phone Avail. Detection should be off, and Dial Tone detection should be off.

Then go back and hit Use these dialing options, no matter what number is in the top line.

Then try Make Test Call.

If you try to change the dial in number first it trys to dial up and get a list of local numbers, and if you can't complete a call, well you see where that's going.

Also, read the various TiVo external modem tutorials/how-tos online and see what they say about how to set your external modem (you do that by hooking it to a computer's serial port, or with switches on the modem itself, depending)

What's the brand and model number of your external modem and did you get any documentation with it?

Also, are you using a "real" phone line, and not one of those over the internet or through your cable company deals?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
kdsnet3410

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you go into Messages and Setup, Recorder and Phone Setup, Phone Connection, Change Dialing Options, the first line is Set Dial-In Number.

That's where you put the local number, but don't do it first.

Go down to the next line (Set Dial Prefix) and put in

,#319

then make sure call waiting prefix is none, Tone/Pulse should be Tone, unless you're on the world's oldest phone system, Phone Avail. Detection should be off, and Dial Tone detection should be off.

Then go back and hit Use these dialing options, no matter what number is in the top line.

Then try Make Test Call.

If you try to change the dial in number first it trys to dial up and get a list of local numbers, and if you can't complete a call, well you see where that's going.

Also, read the various TiVo external modem tutorials/how-tos online and see what they say about how to set your external modem (you do that by hooking it to a computer's serial port, or with switches on the modem itself, depending)

What's the brand and model number of your external modem and did you get any documentation with it?

Also, are you using a "real" phone line, and not one of those over the internet or through your cable company deals?
Sorry, that last week was a little hectic and I did not have much time to fiddle with the series 1 TiVo.

Because I am in guided setup I do not have he options for the phone number. So I will assume the default number is still working…

I am using a trendnet tfm-560x and I sent all the AT commands that is recommended. There are not any switches on the modem, its all configurable via AT commands. I went through the manual and nothing stuck out. One of the tutorials told me I had to ignore RTS and that was not in the manual but it still accepted the at&r1 command. Also, I could not disable the TX and RX flow control individually so I used the at&k0 command to disable all flow control.

I am on a fios connection. Faxes always send from the line without issue.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Davelnlr_

Arent fax machines 9600 baud? Maybe try that speed.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Sorry, that last week was a little hectic and I did not have much time to fiddle with the series 1 TiVo.

Because I am in guided setup I do not have he options for the phone number. So I will assume the default number is still working…

I am using a trendnet tfm-560x and I sent all the AT commands that is recommended. There are not any switches on the modem, its all configurable via AT commands. I went through the manual and nothing stuck out. One of the tutorials told me I had to ignore RTS and that was not in the manual but it still accepted the at&r1 command. Also, I could not disable the TX and RX flow control individually so I used the at&k0 command to disable all flow control.

I am on a fios connection. Faxes always send from the line without issue.
Find a friend or relative nearby with a real phone line and go through Guided Setup there.

If that works, take it home and play with the dial-up options until it works there.