TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Kneeoil

Hulu Plus = SLOW

I got Hulu Plus activated this morning. Playback is very slow / jerky; even on the SD settings. My broadband at home averages 10 MBs, so is it the Hulu App / my Premiere box or the wireless TIVO mddem to blame? The wireless connection is strong (94%.)

Probably a little premature, but I canceled Comcast cable as we don't watch TV that often, but jerky videos won't work for us.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kneeoil : 06-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Kneeoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

My money is on the wireless connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Kneeoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
My money is on the wireless connection.
I just checked the internet speed on my laptop thorugh the same wireless connection and download speeds are in the 10.7 MBs range.

So the question is whether or not the Tivo Premiere / wireless adapter is just not able to communicate quickly, or if a new router would help. My wireless router is about 5 yrs old.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
atmuscarella

I don't think it is the Premiere per say. I have an HTPC connect to the same Onkyo receiver as my Premiere and Hulu+ buffers allot on the HTPC to maintain HD quality. When I use Hulu+ on the Premiere buffering, is not better or worse.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
vio2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneeoil View Post
I got Hulu Plus activated this morning. Playback is very slow / jerky; even on the SD settings. My broadband at home averages 10 MBs, so is it the Hulu App / my Premiere box or the wireless TIVO mddem to blame? The wireless connection is strong (94%.)

Probably a little premature, but I canceled Comcast cable as we don't watch TV that often, but jerky videos won't work for us.

Thanks!
I'm curious if you have the slow/jerky playback with Netflix as well. I'm on an 8MB connection and have zero playback/streaming issues with either Hulu or Netflix.

You said you have an old G router as well right? You might want to pick up a newer N router. A decent Cisco or Netgear one won't cost you much these days. The extra range, speed and stability of wireless N should help you out.
vio2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
KCcardsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneeoil View Post

Thanks!
I have only had a few occasional issues with HULU usually I play the full HD feed no problem with a wirless N router and a 7 MBPS connection. If it does get a little flaky I lower the quality down to the lower HD speed or the SD speeds and it is fine. Are there other computers on in the house and if so are they doing anything to take away from your bandwith?
ROKU XD
KCcardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
Kneeoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCcardsfan View Post
I have only had a few occasional issues with HULU usually I play the full HD feed no problem with a wirless N router and a 7 MBPS connection. If it does get a little flaky I lower the quality down to the lower HD speed or the SD speeds and it is fine. Are there other computers on in the house and if so are they doing anything to take away from your bandwith?
I don't access Netflix on the Premiere but use a Blu-Ray player and it seems to stream fine. But the router is very old, and the savings versus Comcast TV justifies a new router. They also said I could save $7/mo. if I bought my own cable modem, so might upgrade that as well.

Thanks and I'll keep you all posted.