TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Premiere can now delete content from other Premieres and handle six streams!!

I just checked and was able to delete content from another Premiere when browsing from MRV.

I also like how some of the symbols(transfer, recording, check marks, folders) now match waht it shows on the HD menus. I guess since they didn't convert the screens they decided to just change the sybols to look more like the SDUI?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 05-22-2011 at 10:44 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Wow another thing that is new is I can now download from Amazon, transfer from another Premiere, record two shows, and watch a previously recorded show, all concurrently.

Previously I don't remember being able to download from amazon and transfer from another box.
So it's now allowing five concurrent streams.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Make that six concurrent streams. It is also transferring content to another box while also doing the other five things.

So it's now doing six concurrent streams!!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Make that six concurrent streams. It is also transferring content to another box while also doing the other five things.

Have we confirmed that they HAVEN'T enabled the 2nd core?
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
innocentfreak

Very cool. I didn't try a transfer yet, but it is nice to see the remote deletion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I have no idea how to check this.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
innocentfreak

We will probably have to wait and see what the other forum says.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

While that is all great, it does nothing for those of us with no MRV and no desire to pay yet more service fees. Again, I question their priorities.... I would rather have my single Premiere work better before hearing about iPad-only apps and MRV enhancements.

For example- how about updating the ancient Netflix module? Or fixing the HDUI so it runs much faster? Or stopping some of the annoying freeze bugs! Sorry, just frustrated.

(Yes, I know, you have no problems with any of your 20 TiVo's)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Probably makes little or no difference if it is enabled or not. Not until/unless the UI is threaded. That is the better question to be asking.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
While that is all great, it does nothing for those of us with no MRV and no desire to pay yet more service fees. Again, I question their priorities.... I would rather have my single Premiere work better before hearing about iPad-only apps and MRV enhancements.

For example- how about updating the ancient Netflix module? Or fixing the HDUI so it runs much faster? Or stopping some of the annoying freeze bugs! Sorry, just frustrated.

This could be entirely due to necessary improvements made to enable streaming.

Hey look now when you want to stream a show in the future, you will also be able to delete it off the other TiVo after watching it. It also looks like you will be able to stream while doing multiple other things including possibly streaming to another TiVo while also streaming from another TiVo.

Improving MRV in my opinion will only add to the streaming experience not take away from it.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

Quote:
While that is all great, it does nothing for those of us with no MRV and no desire to pay yet more service fees. Again, I question their priorities.
Dude-- not to start a war, but you have problems, and we all get it. But this is a post about some new features apparently included in 14.8. No need for this kinda post here just because it does not apply to you.

I have a P and a THD, and this is sounding pretty cool, and could help me move up from my THD.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
I just checked and was able to delete content from another Premiere when browsing from MRV.
Great news indeed! Perhaps this was something that came out of the iPad development. Out of curiosity does the "clear" button work as a shortcut for remote deletion as well (which is what I use for local deletion), or is just via menu. I always hoped that "play" button would initiate a transfer from remote unit as well instead of having to go to menus for that, but I assume that hasn't changed. Maybe if streaming is enabled in 14.8 at some point the the "play" button will initiate streaming.

Now if only 14.8 fixes mine and others "does not respond to remote control" issue I'd be extremely happy...

Last edited by moyekj : 05-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Dude-- not to start a war, but you have problems, and we all get it. But this is a post about some new features apparently included in 14.8. No need for this kinda post here just because it does not apply to you.

I have a P and a THD, and this is sounding pretty cool, and could help me move up from my THD.
You are right, of course. No war needed. I have just been pissy lately, sorry. It wasn't helped by being unable to use my TiVo properly for 4 days until yesterday because a drastic cable lineup change and TiVo dropped the ball. And two lockups on top of that.

As innocentfreak said, it could be another step to non-TiVo streaming. We should be happy for ANY improvements.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Great news indeed! Perhaps this was something that came out of the iPad development. Out of curiosity does the "clear" button work as a shortcut for remote deletion as well (which is what I use for local deletion), or is just via menu. I always hoped that "play" button would initiate a transfer from remote unit as well instead of having to go to menus for that, but I assume that hasn't changed. Maybe if streaming is enabled in 14.8 at some point the the "play" button will initiate streaming.

Now if only 14.8 fixes mine and others "does not respond to remote control" issue I'd be extremely happy...
Yes the clear button works. Actually that is how I normally delete things. I had to go back and try it again to make sure that is what I did before.

And like deleting locally, deleting with the clear button is very quick.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
JoeTaxpayer

My Premiere is with the UPS man. This is great, specifically deleting from another box, and I may grab another LT Premiere.
I have 2 series 3 THX machines and they sell for enough that it's a small adder to jump to Premiere.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
plazman30

Quote:

I agree that the Netflix module is ancient, but having played with the new module on my Xbox 360, I find it a hell of a lot easier to just go to the web site and add stuff to my Instant Queue.

The HDUI isn't all that slow for me. I almost never get a blue ring. I tend to think that the speed of the HDUI is out of their control and lies with the Flash Player. I wonder if this is something TiVo can fix, or something that Adobe needs to fix.

What I do want is parental controls in the HDUI. Or I need the same TiVo search the HDUI has in the SDUI. Either one will work for me.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post

I don't want a war either and in fact will make a simple comment and bow out but those of us who have problems with these things all the time and have to catch flack about it from the family sit in bewilderment when they keep adding things we don't care about when some very basic core functions are still broken after a year.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I don't want a war either and in fact will make a simple comment and bow out but those of us who have problems with these things all the time and have to catch flack about it from the family sit in bewilderment when they keep adding things we don't care about when some very basic core functions are still broken after a year.
The problem though is everyone with problems assumes that is all they did. They hear about a new feature and almost immediately complain they didn't fix their issue. I see it on everything these days from games to hardware.

We don't know what background updates also occurred. Since this update definitely changed things related to networking, it seems clear to me that there was probably some more optimization done there also.

I haven't come across any basic core functions that are still broken or ever were, but then it may be features I don't use.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I wonder, can you disable this feature?

Hypothetical scenario: Your spouse gets mad at you, goes into the other room and starts remotely deleting your favorite shows.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Hypothetical scenario: Your spouse gets mad at you, goes into the other room and starts remotely deleting your favorite shows.

No and also no confirmation screen. It would be nice to have user profiles where you could enable or disable remote deletion per user. Based off the mock up screens from the premiere launch there is still the possibility. The remote delete screen is still the sdui so who knows if it is how it will look assuming it gets updated to hd eventually.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #21
moyekj

Personally I would be heavily in favor of TiVo scrapping updates to HDUI altogether and maybe starting over on next platform with fresh code to see if they can do any better. It looks like that has pretty much happened anyway given lack of any obvious updates to HDUI in a long time. Faster networking, streaming and remote deletion provide some reasons for existing users on older platforms to switch to Premiere, but I think existing HDUI is a lost cause at this point. I would see it as a good thing if TiVo has moved on from HDUI to other features as appears to be the case with 14.8.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #22
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Personally I would be heavily in favor of TiVo scrapping updates to HDUI altogether and maybe starting over on next platform with fresh code to see if they can do any better. It looks like that has pretty much happened anyway given lack of any obvious updates to HDUI in a long time. Faster networking, streaming and remote deletion provide some reasons for existing users on older platforms to switch to Premiere, but I think existing HDUI is a lost cause at this point.
That's not going to happen. The HDUI is in beta testing with RCN. RCN is deploying it to production very soon.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #23
shaown

Quote:
While I hope freezes, etc are fixed (I don't suffer them - but I know others do). I'd prefer the improve MRV/Streaming and the IPad app rather than focus on single premiere content. Honestly, my standalone premiers works as well as my S3 (though scrolling in HDUI is sluggish), but they need improved MRV function to keep me interested. That and continued improvement of the IPad App - I find myself using it frequently enough, but I wish it was streamed to in house on my WiFi network.
3 S2DT, 1 Phillips S1, 1 HR10-250 HDTivo, 1 S1 DTivo, 3 S2 DTivos, 1 THD 1Tb
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
innocentfreak

Quote:
That's not going to happen. The HDUI is in beta testing with RCN. RCN is deploying it to production very soon.
Doesn't mean they couldn't just roll it out as it is. They are testing what we have from what I have seen and not anything new.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #25
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

What bothers me is that TiVo doesn't bother to inform us of these updates. You would think they would want customers know they are improving their product.

Pony used to post release notes years ago. Those were the good days....
Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #26
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
What bothers me is that TiVo doesn't bother to inform us of these updates. You would think they would want customers know they are improving their product.

Pony used to post release notes years ago. Those were the good days....
I definitely agree here. They have the TiVo Blog so they should definitely use it. They could even have a screen buried under settings that gave info on the update.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Agreed... I wonder why exactly they stopped. I'd guess it's the usual fear of creating expectations they can't meet, fear of setting deadlines/timelines they can't make, and the like. When exactly DID unofficial release notes stop being posted?

I wonder if the changed environment with media companies / feature improvements having policy implications and so on has impacted this.

Also, I can't discount the fact that these boards, and even the Internet in general, has become more hostile/critical towards Tivo than in those halcyon days.
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #28
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

You are asking for a technical solution to an interpersonal relationship problem. Instead, you should say: "I don't think so ... Homey don't play dat!".

If my spouse started doing antics like that, my solution would involve contacting a divorce attorney.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #29
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My solution would involve having to hire a defense attorney!

j/k

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #30
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
+1

IIRC, you used to get a message screen after most updates with a description of what has been improved or what new feature was added.
Now nothing.
The only way to see what's coming is to apply for the beta testing program and hope you get selected to participate.

F*CK CANCER!