TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
ilkevinli

Anyone else receive the update 14.8 ?

Today I noticed my software was updated to 14.8. They changed the highlighted color and the icons to any networked Tivos. Thats all I have noticed so far

Last edited by ilkevinli : 05-17-2011 at 09:01 AM.
ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
innocentfreak

Someone mentioned it in another thread. This is probably just the initial test rollout so not everyone will get it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

I have it on one of mine so far.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
ilkevinli

Here is a screen shot from Slingplayer

ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
DonaldBurns65144

As I posted in other thread - there's a new settings screen to allow you to change what shows up on the HDVI.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
innocentfreak

It looks like the SDUI got the HDUI icons from that screenshot.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Dago Red

I received this update this morning, also.

In the SDUI...

"Now Playing" changed to "My Shows".

In System Information, there is new information including a Free Disk Space value.

Some menus have a different color scheme and the icons have changed.

That's all I've noticed so far.
Dago Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
I received this update this morning, also.

In the SDUI...

"Now Playing" changed to "My Shows".

In System Information, there is new information including a Free Disk Space value.

Some menus have a different color scheme and the icons have changed.

That's all I've noticed so far.
It sounds like this may be a precursor to a possible update for the TiVo HD also. If they are able to get this working on the Premiere, we may see these changes on the TiVo HD and some of the changes like the free space indicator would be needed to use with the iPad app which they have said they are working on adding support for older TiVos.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
If they are able to get this working on the Premiere, we may see these changes on the TiVo HD and some of the changes like the free space indicator would be needed to use with the iPad app which they have said they are working on adding support for older TiVos.
I doubt you'll see any real updates for the Series 3 models, which is basically in the "end of life" stage. There might be some future bug fix releases, but TiVo definitely won't be porting features from the 14.x software back to the Series 3 models.

The iPad app mentions limited support for older TiVos which could simply be something as simple as acting as a remote and displaying the Now Playing list (both which could theoretically already be done today if the app supported it).
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I doubt you'll see any real updates for the Series 3 models, which is basically in the "end of life" stage. There might be some future bug fix releases, but TiVo definitely won't be porting features from the 14.x software back to the Series 3 models.

The iPad app mentions limited support for older TiVos which could simply be something as simple as acting as a remote and displaying the Now Playing list (both which could theoretically already be done today if the app supported it).
I wouldn't consider this a real update based off what we know so far. My point was more if they went to the trouble of adding it to the SDUI, it would make sense we may see the change or addition on the TiVo HD.

Other than adding the FSI on the system info screen, these aren't new features we are discussing. These are just minor tweaks to the UI which could potentially be easily ported to the TiVo HD.

I believe the Premiere is running the same code for the SDUI as the TiVo HD so it would probably just be a matter of pushing the update to the TiVo HDs since the work is done.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Other than adding the FSI on the system info screen, these aren't new features we are discussing. These are just minor tweaks to the UI which could potentially be easily ported to the TiVo HD.

I believe the Premiere is running the same code for the SDUI as the TiVo HD so it would probably just be a matter of pushing the update to the TiVo HDs since the work is done.
There are a number of bugs/feaures that have been fixed in the Premiere branch code (14.x), but haven't been back ported to the Series 3 code (11.x).

A few examples:
1. When turning closed captioning on/off there are two sound effects in a row on the HD, but only one on the Premiere.
2. When turning off closed captions the captions tend to get stuck on the screen on the HD. That doesn't happen with the Premiere.
3. The change to the way the instant replay and skip to tick buttons work was never ported back to the HD.

These should have been trivial fixes/changes, yet they haven't been back ported to the 11.x code branch. That tells me that the 11.x code is more or less frozen.

Here's an analogy. While Windows XP and Windows 7 share a lot of the same code, only Windows 7 is getting updates. Windows XP is only getting security and critical fixes, even if newer features added to Windows 7 could easily be implemented in XP. Think of the Series 3 (11.x) code as Windows XP and the Premiere (14.x) code as Windows 7.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
kturcotte

Any speed improvements?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

What are the chances of 14.8 improving Tuning Adapter connectivity. So far, I have had ZERO success getting the TA to work with my Premiere.
Series 2 DT
Assorted other humans and animals
Okeemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
innocentfreak

Quote:
Here's an analogy. While Windows XP and Windows 7 share a lot of the same code, only Windows 7 is getting updates. Windows XP is only getting security and critical fixes, even if newer features added to Windows 7 could easily be implemented in XP. Think of the Series 3 (11.x) code as Windows XP and the Premiere (14.x) code as Windows 7.
Yes and it would be like adding support for the iPad to XP after support has been added to the Premiere.

The necessary hooks aren't on the TiVo HD from everything I have read so it will have to be updated to work with the iPad rather than the app updated to work with the HD.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak

Yes and it would be like adding support for the iPad to XP after support has been added to the Premiere.
You keep leaving out the word "limited". It makes a big difference.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

So no one saw Hulu+?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
timstack8969

I had "Pending Restart" when I came home from work today. Did the restart and now I have 14.8.U2
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Any speed improvements?
Not in the HDUI. Seems as sluggish as ever.

No Hulu+ that I could find, either.

Pretty much a non-update. Stupid, unnecessary changes like changing the look of icons (recording, swap tuners, up/down arrows on the info screen, etc) while none of the real Premiere issues have been addressed (sluggish, buggy, no parental controls in HDUI, unfinished HDUI, etc). Almost six months since the last non-update and this is what we get.

Par for the course for a TiVo organization that's stopped caring about the customer experience.

Last edited by curiousgeorge : 05-17-2011 at 05:38 PM.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
innocentfreak

Quote:
You keep leaving out the word "limited". It makes a big difference.
Yes the degree of support will vary. I am not disputing that. TiVo in the beginning when people asked for it to support the Series 3 and TiVo HD said it possibly could but it would be limited.

I am saying even as limited as it may be, from what I have read, and I believe it may have even come from TiVo, the series 3 and TiVo HD don't have the necessary updates to offer any functionality to the iPad app. As a result even for the most limited of functionality, an update to the TiVo HD and Series 3 would be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
Not in the HDUI. Seems as sluggish as ever.

No Hulu+ that I could find, either.

Pretty much a non-update. Stupid, unnecessary changes like changing the look of icons (recording, swap tuners, up/down arrows on the info screen, etc) while none of the real Premiere issues have been addressed (sluggish, buggy, no parental controls in HDUI, unfinished HDUI, etc). Almost six months since the last non-update and this is what we get.

Par for the course for a TiVo organization that's stopped caring about the customer experience.
Unfortunaly TiVo has always been pretty closed lip about their updates. While we do see minor changes to the SD UI, it is possible this is mostly background tweaks or necessary updates for future updates.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
hungarianhc

I don't use the HDUI, but the SD UI seems snappier to me - just browsing through menus and such. Am I crazy?

Not like I'm going to go out of my way and thank TiVo for this. I want a REAL update that makes the HD UI as snappy as the SD UI, enables real media center functionality, etc... probably won't get it. This is my last TiVo.

Update: I started playing around in the HD menus, to see if they're any better. Nope... Exact same - I can't believe that they still don't have the full UI converted over to HD yet. This is ridiculous. I'm guessing something big is cooking up over there. And by big, i don't mean like big in the software update sense of things or in hardware. Like maybe they've had to fire most of their developers. Or maybe they're preparing for an acquisition. They seem distracted, and the pace of innovation has never been slower.
hungarianhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #21
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Unfortunaly TiVo has always been pretty closed lip about their updates. While we do see minor changes to the SD UI, it is possible this is mostly background tweaks or necessary updates for future updates.
Yes, but in over a YEAR, they should have at least made some progress on the large list of major Premiere issues. They've made none. That's a failure that the old "customer centric" TiVo never would have stood for.

This is ANOTHER "non-update". Thanks for nothing, TiVo.

EDIT: The way they update the discovery bar seems to have changed. It's better now, but who cares? They really spent their apparently severely limited development time on this stupid cosmetic issue when there are so many REAL PROBLEMS to fix on the Premiere? Grrr.

Last edited by curiousgeorge : 05-17-2011 at 06:44 PM.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
innocentfreak

NVM, it seems my internet was acting up again so traffic was going in or out.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 05-17-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
caddyroger

Just a little cosmetic changes nothing major. Nothing was done for the HDUI menus or speed of the HDUI menu.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
Not in the HDUI. Seems as sluggish as ever. No Hulu+ that I could find, either.

Pretty much a non-update. Stupid, unnecessary changes like changing the look of icons (recording, swap tuners, up/down arrows on the info screen, etc) while none of the real Premiere issues have been addressed (sluggish, buggy, no parental controls in HDUI, unfinished HDUI, etc). Almost six months since the last non-update and this is what we get. Par for the course for a TiVo organization that's stopped caring about the customer experience.
Well, there are many people with serious bugs and stability problems it MIGHT address. So it is a bit early to completely write off the update as a non-update. Perhaps a non FEATURE or ENHANCEMENT update, but if it does address some of the problems, especially things like:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456559

it would still be welcome. But I would agree that waiting 6 months and still not even getting more HDUI menus, faster HDUI, or even a Netflix update sounds pretty damn depressing.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Three of mine already had it when I got home and two were pending restart.

It looks like the updating screen/wait a few minutes screen is slightly different.

I guess this updat also has functionality that TiVo can enable when they are ready, like Hulu+.

The pic that ilkevinli posted of the SDUI looks a little better. But I only use the HDUI. The less I see of the SDUI the better.

As long as this update keeps my Premieres as rock solid as they have previously been I guess I can't complain.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #26
BigJimOutlaw

When I first turned my TV on and went into the Tivo menu (SDUI) I thought my tv's picture settings had reset. But they weren't. The SDUI looks... sharper somehow. Slightly darker. Not sure what it is exactly (other than icons).
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #27
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Three of mine already had it when I got home and two were pending restart. [...] As long as this update keeps my Premieres as rock solid as they have previously been I guess I can't complain.
I know, I know. You never have any problems. And now ALL your machines magically get the newest update, first in the nation. Hmm. Do you play the lottery?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I know, I know. You never have any problems. And now ALL your machines magically get the newest update, first in the nation. Hmm. Do you play the lottery?
I assumed they rolled it out to everyone.

With a typical rollout I usually have one to three boxes get it initially.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #29
innocentfreak

Both of mine also got the update which is rare for me.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #30
moyekj

Very interesting, the NowPlaying XML for this 14.8 software (which can be obtained as example URL below with tivo as login and 10 digit MAK as password) contains a new XML field under <Details> field for each show I've not seen before:
<StreamingPermission>No</StreamingPermission>

Currently it is set to No for all my shows, but certainly makes one wonder what happens if it is set to Yes.
Code:
https://192.168.10.199/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes

Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote