TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #151
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
The Comcast box, the DirecTv box, Hulu, Netflix, everything they do takes years to release after the announcement. Tivo is the common denominator in all of these instances. It can't always be the other companies fault. Rant over...
Meanwhile TiVo delivered RCN, Virgin Mobile and a raft of other MSO boxes in much shorter time frames. It's really about how motivated the partner is.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #152
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Meanwhile TiVo delivered RCN, Virgin Mobile and a raft of other MSO boxes in much shorter time frames. It's really about how motivated the partner is.
When they use their own hardware and software it tends to be much easier. Porting to legacy Comcast hardware was never a good idea to begin with. The Xfinity app is unlikely to be that complicated given cooperation with Comcast, so I don't see it being a major issue to implement.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #153
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
When they use their own hardware and software it tends to be much easier. Porting to legacy Comcast hardware was never a good idea to begin with. The Xfinity app is unlikely to be that complicated given cooperation with Comcast, so I don't see it being a major issue to implement.
Maybe it isn't a major issue but this thread is 10 months old already. Just because it is an easy thing to do doesn't mean that Tivo and Comcast are going to do it quickly or correctly.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #154
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
The Virgin deal used Motorola hardware. The Comcast hardware wasn't the problem, it was delivering the software over Comcast middleware and installing it remotely.

It's really about whether the partner wants to actually deliver a product, or just wants to keep TiVo's lawyers at bay and never actually deliver.

Not entirely square
Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #155
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Wasn't Virgin UK Cisco hardware and now Samsung also?

http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/09/0...ware-supplier/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #156
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Wasn't Virgin UK Cisco hardware and now Samsung also?

http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/09/0...ware-supplier/
Yes, sorry, that's correct. In any case, the point remains.

Not entirely square
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #157
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Maybe it isn't a major issue but this thread is 10 months old already. Just because it is an easy thing to do doesn't mean that Tivo and Comcast are going to do it quickly or correctly.
the cynic in me thinks they've been working on it for many more months than that already. If I recall there were screen shots floating around before the premiere was released that had comcast icons.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #158
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
the cynic in me thinks they've been working on it for many more months than that already. If I recall there were screen shots floating around before the premiere was released that had comcast icons.
You are correct
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #159
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
What do you consider short? It is not short by industry standards. It is only short by Tivo standard. If Apple, Samsung, Motorola, or Google moved at Tivo speed they would be out of business.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #160
jmpage2

Exactly! I was actually about to make the same comment. Apple built their SDK and offered it to developers months before the iPhone iOS version shipped that supported apps, and as a result apps were available at launch or shortly thereafter, not months later.

Admittedly Comcast is a big monolithic company that moves slowly as well, but you would think that TiVo could get more apps on their platform and at a quicker pace if someone who knew what they were doing was running things there.

At the end of the day all you need is an apps link in TiVo home, which then gives you things like Xfinity, Amazon VOD, Hulu, etc, and then leave it up to each vender to update the apps whenever they can.

The way TiVo does it seems completely ass-backwards to me.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #161
gothaggis

So Xbox added Comcast Infinity On Demand and HBOGo today - however Comcast has disallowed HBOGo authentication saying they want people to use their app oly - their policy is to not allow HBOGo on set top boxes - but phones and tablets are ok. Stupid. But it gets "better".

I haven't been able to get the Xfinity On Demand app to work - it tells me that I must have Comcast Internet and TV for it to work - which I do. After a bit of research, I came across other people having the same issue - our commonality? We all have cable cards and Tivos!!!

Furious with Comcast.
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #162
rbro

I can't get Xbox/Xfinity app to work..I"m getting server not available errors......
rbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #163
rbro

OK, got it working....picture quality is pretty lousy for HD content I'm looking at. I don't know if that will improve with newer versions of the software or what the cause is, but it's not even as good as Netflix HD streaming quality to my eyes anyway......
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #164
jmpage2

The cause for the lousy picture quality is insufficient bandwidth.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #165
rbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
The cause for the lousy picture quality is insufficient bandwidth.
Xfinity App streaming to the iPad looks great, Netflix streaming on the Xbox -> TV looks great. Same connection, same bandwidth......
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #166
gothaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbro View Post
I can't get Xbox/Xfinity app to work..I"m getting server not available errors......
do you have a cable card? if so, do you also have a cable box?

FAQ states:

Q: Do I need the Comcast set top box connected to the TV along with the Xbox 360?
A: No, the Xbox 360 running our XFINITY TV App essentially acts as an additional cable box for your existing cable service, but you must subscribe to XFINITY TV with On Demand, which means that you will have a Comcast set top box or Cable Card connected to at least one TV in your home.

however if you call comcast, they will tell you that the xbox service is not compatible with cablecards

UGHHHHHH
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #167
rbro

I have a Tivo Premiere with a cable card and also a comcast dvr box upstairs. I can use the Xfinity app on my Xbox, but the quality is not that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
do you have a cable card? if so, do you also have a cable box?

FAQ states:

Q: Do I need the Comcast set top box connected to the TV along with the Xbox 360?
A: No, the Xbox 360 running our XFINITY TV App essentially acts as an additional cable box for your existing cable service, but you must subscribe to XFINITY TV with On Demand, which means that you will have a Comcast set top box or Cable Card connected to at least one TV in your home.

however if you call comcast, they will tell you that the xbox service is not compatible with cablecards

UGHHHHHH

Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #168
rainwater

Quote:
Xfinity App streaming to the iPad looks great, Netflix streaming on the Xbox -> TV looks great. Same connection, same bandwidth......
It wouldn't take much for it to look good on a iPad at such a small resolution.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #169
rbro

Quote:
It wouldn't take much for it to look good on a iPad at such a small resolution.
True, but Netflix on the Xbox and the Tivo is much better picture quality than Xfinity app on the Xbox, so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #170
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
True, but Netflix on the Xbox and the Tivo is much better picture quality than Xfinity app on the Xbox, so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue.
What resolution are they using? With the FiOS IP HD channels on the 360, they are only 720P and look much worse than their 1080i counterparts on FiOS.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #171
rbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What resolution are they using? With the FiOS IP HD channels on the 360, they are only 720P and look much worse than their 1080i counterparts on FiOS.
Not sure, I think Netflix goes as high as 1080p on the Xbox, but there's nothing on the Xfinity app to indicate resolution other than an HD symbol......
Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #172
rainwater

Quote:
Not sure, I think Netflix goes as high as 1080p on the Xbox, but there's nothing on the Xfinity app to indicate resolution other than an HD symbol......
The latest Xbox dashboard update restricts all content to 720p besides content from their own video marketplace.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #173
gothaggis

this is what they are telling people:

"f you are a Cablecard/Tivo user, please call XBOX dedicated support line at 1-877-599-1846 for further assistance."

however when you call that number,all they will tell you is that it doesn't work with cablecards
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #174
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
this is what they are telling people:

"f you are a Cablecard/Tivo user, please call XBOX dedicated support line at 1-877-599-1846 for further assistance."

however when you call that number,all they will tell you is that it doesn't work with cablecards
Why would you call Comcast about an app on the Tivo that isn't available yet?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #175
aindik

Quote:
Why would you call Comcast about an app on the Tivo that isn't available yet?
They're now talking about the app on the XBox 360. Why they're doing that in this thread, I have no idea.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #176
ghuido

Well it is April. Let's see what happens now deployment wise.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #177
cherry ghost

San Fran will be first

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...84033698324481
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #178
lpwcomp

Official TiVo XFINITY On Demand page. Includes a form to signup to be notified when it becomes available in your area.

Looks like Comcast internet will not be required.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #179
ghuido

Based on that twitter message. I believe we will have to wait till the formal Spring Update comes out. The one with the netflix update as well.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #180
emkorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
And probably the last. There's no technological barrier to releasing this to everyone. Comcasts network isn't doing anything different, and Tivo's in SF are no different than Tivo's sold anywhere else, so an update for them would work for everyone. There's zero reason to have a "test market", unless you have no plans to ever move out of it.

The whole thing screams "this is just a red herring so Comcast can show the FCC they are "working with other set top box providers" to get the FCC off their back and it's never going beyond SF and will be dead in a few years". The optimist in me want's to be wrong, but the realist in me can't ignore what we're seeing.

Artificial lmitations placed on feature rollouts are never a good sign. Limiting the rollout to SF for no reason does not bode well for anyone not living in SF.
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote