TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #121
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
Pardon my stupidity, but why can't this work on a Series 3?

most likely because tivo abandoned the S3's when the premiers came out.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #122
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
how many people have a premiere (which almost can't function without a broadband connection) and comcast cable without comcast broadband?
At least one - me. I have DSL and am not interested in switching. I doubt if I am alone in that either.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #123
lpwcomp

Quote:
Exactly. It's not that it can't be done, just that it won't be done.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #124
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
At least one - me. I have DSL and am not interested in switching. I doubt if I am alone in that either.
I dont think you are alone, I think there are about another nine of you in the whole US. LOL.

Joking aside and serious question- why do you get DSL and not buy bundle from comcast?

Is DSL that much cheaper in your then the upcharge to add comcast internet to your tv package?

In my neck of the woods there's just no combination that can beat comcast's triple play. But i realize comcast pricing various all over. (My local comcast system competes directly with FIOS for much of it's footprint so that may be why my pricing and service is so good on comcast.)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #125
lpwcomp

I cancelled my voice line last year, so no need for triple play. I've had more problems with cable than I've ever had with phone line. I'm actually on u-verse internet currently at a reduced rate anyway so converting is not at option at this time anyway. I've been thinking about totally cancelling cable and going to OTA. Need more reasons?

I wasn't going to bring this up but unless there is some technical reason for it, requiring cable internet to get On Demand may be a violation of FTC regulations.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #126
jayfest
Not-so-New Member

Quote:
I cancelled my voice line last year, so no need for triple play. I've had more problems with cable than I've ever had with phone line. I'm actually on u-verse internet currently at a reduced rate anyway so converting is not at option at this time anyway. I've been thinking about totally cancelling cable and going to OTA. Need more reasons?

I wasn't going to bring this up but unless there is some technical reason for it, requiring cable internet to get On Demand may be a violation of FTC regulations.
I cancelled my landline phone a while back and then Comcast made me an offer such that it was cheaper for me to have the Triple Play, including a new landline phone, than it was for me not to have the phone. So now I have a landline phone again.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were, in fact, technical reasons why the S3 DVRs can't handle the XOD. There certainly are enough other features already that the S3 can't handle technically. Is anybody really suggesting that no new features should be added to the DVR unless they can be backward compatible to the S3s? There'd be a lot missing if TiVo followed that strategy.
jayfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #127
ghuido

Quote:
Me two. FIOS is more reliable internet connection where I live. I have Comcast for TV.

Hope it is not a requirement but we shall see.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #128
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Not quite- all old units still get guide data.

Abandoning would have been what Moxi was considering before backtracking.

You are only talking about adding new features, which TiVo reps have noted many times are not available to older units due to the lack of hardware support for the software used in their current generation units. I imagine it would be like using an old slot 1 celeron to run handbrake- perhaps it could do it - but would not be a worthwhile experience.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #129
jonbig

I do. Probably will shift back to Comcast for broadband soon, but still on DSL for now.
jonbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #130
CharlesH

The only technical reason I can think of for them to require their Internet service for the uplink is quality-of-service guarantees. On their own network, they can prioritize the uplink traffic to get the desired consistent response time. If it travels any part of the way off their network, then they cannot make any guarantees. Sort of like their phone service using dedicated routing on their network.

Other issues like security could be dealt with via VPN technology.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #131
timatkn

Quote:
I dont think you are alone, I think there are about another nine of you in the whole US. LOL.

Joking aside and serious question- why do you get DSL and not buy bundle from comcast?

Is DSL that much cheaper in your then the upcharge to add comcast internet to your tv package?

In my neck of the woods there's just no combination that can beat comcast's triple play. But i realize comcast pricing various all over. (My local comcast system competes directly with FIOS for much of it's footprint so that may be why my pricing and service is so good on comcast.)
In my neighborhood, cable lines are ancient and overloaded. DSL just upgraded to fiber optic and can match advertised cable speeds up to 20 mbs and you actually get the speed you pay for instead of paying for 8 mbs and only getting 1-2 mbs. Unless I want to use the Internet in the middle of the night. Now I pay for 12 and almost always get 10-11 mbs speeds. All at a cheaper price too.

I would guess that this is less common, but tryin to explain why a few of us wouldn't take the cable broadband.

T
timatkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #132
lpwcomp

Yeah. I've gotten along this long w/o OD. If it requires cable internet, I'll continue to survive w/o it.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #133
Beryl

Glad to read this is coming. My triple play special ends in 5 months and I'll have a decision to make. Dump phone & TV and go OTA & Internet streaming or just downgrade a bit.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #134
buscuitboy

I just want to clarify & understand something regarding this future "Comcast TiVo" with OnDemand. Will it be Comcast OnDemand on a commercially available TiVo (Premiere) that you buy in a store or online? Or will it be a Comcast issued Premiere box from a local office (that ultimately won't have Netflix or Hulu capability)?

I'm hoping the former. I recently got a Premiere from Best Buy. While I'm not a regular OnDemad user in the first place, I would still love to see this on my current retail Premiere unit. I always just chalked it up as a lost cause & the many features of TiVo that I use (Netflix, Pandora, pyTivo, MRV, etc.) outweigh having the OnDemand service instead, but I'll take IT ALL if possible.

If this becomes available in my area, I might even be more willing to swallow & pay the ridiculous $9.95 "digital outlet" fee Comcast is slapping me with each month for each cable card in my TiVo HDs ($30/month). My local office is refunding most of it each month, but its a pain to have to go through the nonsense. I would probably also just sell my Series 3 (lifetime) and get another Premiere since it requires 2 cable cards.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 03-09-2012 at 07:53 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #135
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yes, this is for retail TiVo Premiers.

Looks like you need both Comcast Xfinity cable and Internet to get the service.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #136
ghuido

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Yes, this is for retail TiVo Premiers.

Looks like you need both Comcast Xfinity cable and Internet to get the service.
Actually there is no confirmation yet that you will require to have Comcast Internet Service as well.

Some form of High Speed Internet will be required plus existing comcast CAble ACcount. Don't know if it might be similar to their online xfinity site where you just need a user id and password to access Online VOD Content.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #137
ghuido

APRIL !!!

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-03/...mand-in-april/
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #138
jadziedzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Actually there is no confirmation yet that you will require to have Comcast Internet Service as well.
According to this post (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...37#post8984537) by Dave Zatz, access to OnDemand will not require Internet from Comcast.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #139
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
EARLY April. Assuming the schedule holds.
davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #140
aindik

To me that says it'll be available in April in San Francisco. When it's available anywhere else is anyone's guess.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #141
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
To me that says it'll be available in April in San Francisco. When it's available anywhere else is anyone's guess.
We have seen this before. The Motorola/Comcast/Tivo never left New England. I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #142
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
EARLY April. Assuming the schedule holds.
early april everywhere or in SF?
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #143
ghuido

Man, we are a pessimistic bunch ... :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #144
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I just want to clarify & understand something regarding this future "Comcast TiVo" with OnDemand. Will it be Comcast OnDemand on a commercially available TiVo (Premiere) that you buy in a store or online? Or will it be a Comcast issued Premiere box from a local office (that ultimately won't have Netflix or Hulu capability)?

I'm hoping the later.
Umm, you really mean "the former", based upon the rest of what you said.. (and not "the latter", as another correction).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #145
seattlewendell

Quote:
Man, we are a pessimistic bunch ... :-)
With good reason. Tivo always over promises and under delivers. They announced that they were bringing back a DirecTivo in 2008, It released this year. 4 years! And before someone jumps in and says it's DirecTV fault....Tivo is the only company that takes this long between announcing products and release. The Comcast box, the DirecTv box, Hulu, Netflix, everything they do takes years to release after the announcement. Tivo is the common denominator in all of these instances. It can't always be the other companies fault. Rant over...
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #146
buscuitboy

yea, I meant "the former" (changed it). Sorry about that. I'm glad this is possibly on the horizon as I JUST got a Premiere from Best Buy about a month ago. I love the unit so far, but having OnDemand access on it would be the icing on the cake. I always just chalked up that it would never come. In my opinion, having the other TiVo features (Netflix, OTA, Hulu, Pandora, etc.) outweighed the OnDemand lineup & option for me anyways. I actually have a Comcast digital box hooked up on the same TV to access it, but quite honestly rarely do.

And that article was promising until they got to the part that said San Fran will be "the first market to receive access". That there alone tells me the rest of the country MIGHT get it by the end of 2012. More likely sometime in 2013. I'm personally gonna shoot for the end of 2013 though. This way I don't get my hopes up to high and if it comes earlier, then great :-) Oh well.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 03-09-2012 at 11:06 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #147
emkorial

Quote:
April for one market.

Which mans those of us not living in san francisco should expect it sometime around the year 3000
emkorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #148
jmpage2

I agree, there is no reason to get excited about this unless you are in the preview market. Hopefully they will make good this time and get this rolled out nation wide in weeks/months instead of years but I'm not holding my breath.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #149
Beryl

Although implementation is in both companies' best interest, I'm not holding my breath for TiVo. I predict Xfinity to offer streaming on other devices like Ruku and Apple TV.

They added streaming to their iPad app to retain their customer base not just to be nice or innovative. If only they'd add Airplay...
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #150
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Although implementation is in both companies' best interest, I'm not holding my breath for TiVo. I predict Xfinity to offer streaming on other devices like Ruku and Apple TV.
Well, it is coming to Xbox soon so it isn't much of a prediction
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote