TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #331
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybah View Post
Well I've had a support person confirm that yes, the OnDemand App is coming to TiVos in Boston.

I had to call for a cable card issue and once i said I had a TiVo, she's like "oh we got a memo stating that the OnDemand is coming to Tivo in your area". She couldnt remember the date or the exact wording but it was "soon". The tech is coming on thursday so I'll ask the tech then.

Honestly, I think the rollout will initially be anyone who is ex-ContientialCableVision/MediaOne/AT&TBB in Eastern MA & Southern NH. It might start initially as Boston and the immediate suburbs (Somerville, Cambridge,Newton.Brookline,Roxbury,Dochester,etc), then roll out from there.

But I can't see why the rest of New England wouldn't follow. Comcast tends to roll out things this way here in New England (a staggered, radiating from Boston). It really depends on how your cable system for your town is setup..

Comcast see's New England as one business unit so I can't see why eventually it would be region wide.
I also spoke with a rep trying to make sense of the memo. She didn't understand it all. She thought Comcast was going to be providing the Premiere. She also thought the Premiere was just recently released. She was also very confused about the current Motorola/Comcast/Tivo that my mom has. I had to educate her and explain to her what was what.

She also seemed pretty certain that the Motorola/Comcast/Tivo's are being taken out of service in August.....but like I said, she was confused. If this is true, I wonder if they will offer existing customers anything. I may advise my mom to just hold onto it until August.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #332
nrnoble

Sorry but I have only skimmed this thread, so far.

I have Comcast and a TiVo Premiere. Looking for some insight as to why its limited to just a few Comcast locations. Its the Internet, so its not like each location needs to upgrade their equipment to support it, especially when it is supported on other devices such as iPhone\iPad.

Thanks
Tivo user since 1999.

Last edited by nrnoble : 05-16-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: subcribe
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #333
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
Sorry but I have only skimmed this thread, so far.

I have Comcast and a TiVo Premiere. Looking for some insight as to why its limited to just a few Comcast locations. Its the Internet, so its not like each location needs to upgrade their equipment to support it, especially when it is supported on other devices such as iPhone\iPad.

Thanks
Its’ NOT the internet- the content is sent over a QAM channel just like the “normal” cable programming.Ipads, expoxes, pc’s etc get internet streams- the TiVo does not.
So each head end does in fact have to be updated so that it has the ability to talk to the tivo’s connected to it and let them know which channel to look for the show on.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #334
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Its’ NOT the internet- the content is sent over a QAM channel just like the “normal” cable programming.Ipads, expoxes, pc’s etc get internet streams- the TiVo does not.
So each head end does in fact have to be updated so that it has the ability to talk to the tivo’s connected to it and let them know which channel to look for the show on.
Only the OnDemand control stream from the TiVo goes over the Internet. As MichaelK says, the actual content comes over a QAM channel just like OnDemand on Comcast set-top boxes.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #335
nrnoble

Thanks. I know understand how they have designed it to work with TiVos and their own cable boxes. This however begs the question: why not just go with an ip streaming since they already are streaming xfinity to other devices (PC\iPad\iPhone\etc)?

I also have HBO, and the only way for me to get HBO GO on my TV from comcast is to get xFinity (or get rent their cable box) because they block HBO GO on devices such as RoKu. I can stream both xfinity and HBO GO to my PC, iPhone, & iPad, but not to my TiVo or Roku.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #336
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Thanks. I know understand how they have designed it to work with TiVos and their own cable boxes. This however begs the question: why not just go with an ip streaming since they already are streaming xfinity to other devices (PC\iPad\iPhone\etc)?

I also have HBO, and the only way for me to get HBO GO on my TV from comcast is to get xFinity (or get rent their cable box) because they block HBO GO on devices such as RoKu. I can stream both xfinity and HBO GO to my PC, iPhone, & iPad, but not to my TiVo or Roku.
Tivo doesn't have built in wifi and their wireless adapters are mediocre at best. QAM simply offers a better video experience than many people will have using the internet. I have seen a lot of complaints about video quality on Xbox so I think they made the right choice.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #337
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101

Tivo doesn't have built in wifi and their wireless adapters are mediocre at best. QAM simply offers a better video experience than many people will have using the internet. I have seen a lot of complaints about video quality on Xbox so I think they made the right choice.
Plus this way you don't have to worry about going over Comcast's cap.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #338
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Plus this way you don't have to worry about going over Comcast's cap.
Do you have to worry about it on Xbox 360? I was under the impression they were not counting Xfinity bandwidth towards the cap.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #339
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101

Do you have to worry about it on Xbox 360? I was under the impression they were not counting Xfinity bandwidth towards the cap.
You don't, but that may be why Comcast is keep the streaming quality so low. Also who knows how much Microsoft is paying Comcast for this privilege.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #340
lpwcomp

I for one don't want them utilizing my u-verse and LAN bandwidth to deliver content that can be delivered over cable.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #341
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

QAM Is Better

Quote:
why not just go with an ip streaming since they already are streaming xfinity to other devices (PC\iPad\iPhone\etc)?
i know most/all of this has already been touched on in this forum, but here are a few quick reasons:
first, internet usage caps. i have comcast tv, but my isp is u-verse. even though i'm nowhere near my caps, and i haven't heard of u-verse enforcing caps in my area, there's no need to start running up my monthly max.

next, network slowness. if you're streaming hd, anything else on your network slows to a snails pace, at least it does with my 12 Mbps purchased pkg.

last, quality. you'll rarely match the quality with streaming vs qam channel.
i've used on demand both ways, and taking the isp out of the loop was the better service for me (of course, your mileage may vary).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #342
nrnoble

Thanks, it does makes sense now that others have provided more info. Where I live, I get 20-25mbit typical speeds, but other subscribers might have slower packages or simply can't get the speeds reqiuired for HD.

Overall, I can get everything I want, just have to use 3 devices. What I can't get on TiVo (#1 choice), I use Roku XS (#2 choice). And what I can't get on RoKu, I use a Mac Mini that is a dedicated HTPC (#3 choice), thus I can watch HBO GO and xFinity on the Mac Mini. The Mini runs Plex for streaming ripped DVDs.

I do have a Xbox 360, but I don't have it configured for TV\Movie watching.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #343
MACCTVO

TIVO Premiere

I have it from a good source in Comcast that they will support VOD via TIVO Premiere in the BOS area quite soon. Also, customers that currently have the Comcast/TIVO/Motorola service (never got out of the BOS area) will receive a free TIVO Premiere as a swapout with their current service. They will then "own" that box and pay a monthly fee for a cablecard. I don't know when the general TIVO rollout will be, but he hinted at "August" as the Motorola/TIVO swapout.
MACCTVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #344
inaka

So is the Bay Area rollout for Comcast On-Demand via Tivo working flawlessly, or are there still any issues?

I live in the Bay Area and have a Series 3, but I'm looking to upgrade if the on-demand is now working correctly for most/all.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #345
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
So is the Bay Area rollout for Comcast On-Demand via Tivo working flawlessly, or are there still any issues?
Still works great for me. Though the ever-present bars on either side of the content are still annoying. They really should fix that.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #346
inaka

Thanks, DogsOfWarandPeac.
I may have to upgrade the 'ol Series 3...
Old 05-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #347
davidmin

It looks like Comcast is making changes to its bandwidth cap.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...iered-pricing/

I'm going to switch to Comcast so I can get on-demand with my Premier, despite the cap, though I am still going to use Netflix streaming.
davidmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #348
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmin View Post
It looks like Comcast is making changes to its bandwidth cap.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...iered-pricing/

I'm going to switch to Comcast so I can get on-demand with my Premier, despite the cap, though I am still going to use Netflix streaming.
Unless the bay area people who actually already have it say otherwise, based on the available information I am going to continue to assume that Comcast internet is not required.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #349
blackngold75

That is correct. The OnDemand comes through the TV cable like any other program. The internet up-link may be used for some communication but that's it.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #350
benjosevilla

XFinity on Demand on Premier

I upgraded to Tivo Premier this week to take advantage of xFinity on Demand. After the usual pairing and waiting 24-72 hours, the xFinity logo was there and I can get the list of movies. Once you select a movie, the screen blanks out then an error message appears. After 2 calls to Comcast support, signals sent and again wait, they finally sent out a tech to my house. The tech that came was new to Tivo but a veteran Comcast tech. He made a few calls to his buddies and a final call to central.

Here is the key, Comcast needs to set the MCard to "one-way" and not "two-way" This fixed my issue, now I can watch Xfinity OnDemand.
benjosevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #351
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post
I upgraded to Tivo Premier this week to take advantage of xFinity on Demand. After the usual pairing and waiting 24-72 hours, the xFinity logo was there and I can get the list of movies. Once you select a movie, the screen blanks out then an error message appears. After 2 calls to Comcast support, signals sent and again wait, they finally sent out a tech to my house. The tech that came was new to Tivo but a veteran Comcast tech. He made a few calls to his buddies and a final call to central.

Here is the key, Comcast needs to set the MCard to "one-way" and not "two-way" This fixed my issue, now I can watch Xfinity OnDemand.
That's interesting. My card was set to "one way" and we couldn't figure out why.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #352
weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
That's interesting. My card was set to "one way" and we couldn't figure out why.
That's an easy one. Your TiVo is a one-way cable device.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137
weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #353
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Unless the bay area people who actually already have it say otherwise, based on the available information I am going to continue to assume that Comcast internet is not required.
I'm in San Francisco using Webpass as my ISP and can confirm that Comcast internet is not required for on-demand.
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #354
davidmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
True, but having one cable company (Astound) for broadband and one for TV (Comcast) sounds like a recipe for disaster. They're hard enough to deal with in conventional situations.
davidmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #355
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmin View Post
having one cable company (Astound) for broadband and one for TV (Comcast) sounds like a recipe for disaster
acutally, i kind of like it, as it allows me to keep each provider in check, and all my eggs are not in one basket.

my cost is substantially lower each month, and the competition for business allows me to maintain viable options when dealing with service interruptions or billing disputes with one or the other.

i even have a third service provider for my home phone, and a fourth for wireless, and have never been more satisfied with the level of service i currently receive from all four providers. but if that ever changes, i'm lucky enough to have options from other carriers who would love to pick up my business. competition is wonderful.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #356
kilcher

Just curious how it's working for those who have it. For me there's a huge difference between watching TiVo and watching on demand on the Comcast box. Is it more like watching TiVo or more like watching on demand on the Comcast box?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #357
inaka

Well, I pulled the trigger.

My upgraded S3 with lifetime has been working perfectly since the day I bought it, but being in the Bay Area and having the On Demand option, I ordered a Premiere XL4 w/lifetime.

Should arrive soon, and I'm eager to check out Comcast's on-demand via the Tivo box.
Thanks for the info in this thread.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #358
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger.

My upgraded S3 with lifetime has been working perfectly since the day I bought it, but being in the Bay Area and having the On Demand option, I ordered a Premiere XL4 w/lifetime.

Should arrive soon, and I'm eager to check out Comcast's on-demand via the Tivo box.
Thanks for the info in this thread.
Congrats inaka. I just pulled the Trigger myself a couple of months ago. I LOVE IT. The four tuners are beyond awesome.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #359
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Congrats inaka. I just pulled the Trigger myself a couple of months ago. I LOVE IT. The four tuners are beyond awesome.
Thanks, bareyb.

I honestly didn't even know Tivo made a 4-tuner option since my S3 had been working fine and I never felt the need to keep up with latest info. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Luckily (or may unluckily?) I was able to get a Cablecard from Comcast so I have that here ready for a self-install. In the past it always required a truck roll and no joke, with my S3 they had to come out 6 times to pair ir correctly. Hopefully those kinks are all worked out. Looking forward to it!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #360
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Thanks, bareyb.

I honestly didn't even know Tivo made a 4-tuner option since my S3 had been working fine and I never felt the need to keep up with latest info. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Luckily (or may unluckily?) I was able to get a Cablecard from Comcast so I have that here ready for a self-install. In the past it always required a truck roll and no joke, with my S3 they had to come out 6 times to pair ir correctly. Hopefully those kinks are all worked out. Looking forward to it!
I hope so too. In my case, it did require ramping up the Phone calls to higher levels techs, but eventually they got it working and it didn't require a truck roll. I still have my S3 and have since moved it into the Bedroom.