TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #301
jeffcox65
Rabid HD Junkie

Just in case anybody is still having trouble with this, I can tell you my story of (eventual) triumph.

The XFINITY menu popped up on my TiVo this morning. I tried it out and the menus came up just fine, but content was redirecting my TiVo to the grey cablecard screen.

I got on this very forum and found the TiVo/Cablecard pairing hotline: 866-986-8486

The very friendly guy there walked me through the process of discovering that my CableCard did indeed need to be paired.

So I called the Comcast Cablecard specific pairing hotline at 877-405-2298. That guy took my cablecard information and paired up my cablecard within 10 minutes.

After that my TiVo was able to browse through content, but when I tried to play any content it would play for about two seconds and then stop.

Not wanting to call COMCAST again I called the TiVo 866 number again. The very friendly guy checked my configuration and told me that I had a known issue and that I had to talk to COMCAST again, BUT instead of having me call 1-800-COMCAST he transfered me to a special 2nd Level Support Team within COMCAST. He was not allowed to give me the number or I would post it here (which is probably why he wasn't allowed to give me the number).

When he transfered me the number rang literally for about 5 minutes. At least 3 minutes. I almost got discouraged but I figured it was ringing someplace and I would just hang on. Finally somebody answered. I had to explain that I *didn't* have a trouble ticket open yet, that I was transfered directly from TiVo, that yes TiVo Premiere boxes supported On Demand in a Trial area -- and he finally took me seriously. He took down my information and told me he'd call me back in 15 minutes.

15 minutes later he verified that yes there was a rollout of this service and he'd get onto fixing the problem, hopefully within an hour.

I had to leave for work, but I got a call at work about 4 hours later saying he believed he fixed my account to resolve the issue, could I try it out?

When I got home it was fixed. I've been able to access all kinds of On Demand television shows and movies without a problem.

Fixing my problem required the two special numbers above and patience, but everybody I talked to was helpful and courteous and effective.
jeffcox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #302
falcon26

While watching Grimm it has black bars on both sides. No matter what format I use its their. It was in HD but still had the black bars like it was running in SD. I hope this is just a bug and it gets fixed soon...
falcon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #303
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon26 View Post
While watching Grimm it has black bars on both sides. No matter what format I use its their. It was in HD but still had the black bars like it was running in SD. I hope this is just a bug and it gets fixed soon...
What does this have to do with On Demand? Were you viewing “Grimm” On Demand? I know Cox offer Prime Time On Demand.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #304
jrtroo
User

Wheir is it?

Read through the forums. It appears that there is not much we can do about the bars other than temporarily use the TV's re-sizing menu as that is the same data it sends to its own boxes which then zoom in (and losing picture).
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #305
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx View Post
I tried that, its still not showing up on one of my Premiers.
I online chatted to a tech, he couldn't fix it, he's escalating it to level 2. Hopefully, it gets fixed in the next few days.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #306
Shogun82

This is great news! I wonder how long it will take to spread (Xfinity on demand) through the states..?
Shogun82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #307
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

LOL, who knows - it's a pairing of Tivo and Comcast, about the two slowest rollout companies around.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #308
suprstrpj
my spoon is too big

I sent Margret from Tivo (@tivodesign on twitter) pics of the issue that I'm seeing with HD programming and black bars.

This photo is the broadcast version of New Girl on Fox that shows the complete picture: i.imgur.com/x5veI.jpg

This photo is the Tivo Xfinity On-Demand version of the same scene that shows the sides cut off, as you can tell by the #newgirl text on the side of the screen is cut off and there is picture missing: i.imgur.com/QNTmX.jpg

This is happening with every HD program I watch on demand and otherwise it works great and the picture quality is waaaay better than the Xbox Live app picture quality over ip.
suprstrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #309
jaredmwright

I am noticing the same problem, which complicates watching 3D content since those black edges are duplicated when watching side by side 3D content and causing distortion in the picture. It seems to work fine with top and bottom 3D content. Hopefully this is a configuration issue that can be addressed and is not a limitation of the TiVo Xfinity OnDemand implementation since that would be very unfortunate. When watching an HD show or movie, it is awkward not having the screen filled and seeing black bars on the side.
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo COMPONENT
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #310
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprstrpj View Post
This photo is the Tivo Xfinity On-Demand version of the same scene that shows the sides cut off, as you can tell by the #newgirl text on the side of the screen is cut off and there is picture missing: i.imgur.com/QNTmX.jpg
What about a comcast cable box? Does it do the same (cut off part of the picture)? It could be using overscan to hide the bars, but I would imagine it is cropping the picture just the same. If that is the case, I don't see how TiVo could fix it. Of course, the real question is why in the world does Comcast crop the picture like that.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #311
suprstrpj
my spoon is too big

It does not happen with our comcast box in the bedroom, the picture on that is complete and not cropped. My photo in the text you quoted shows that the picture is cropped on both sides which should not happen if it was just an overscan issue.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #312
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
It does not happen with our comcast box in the bedroom, the picture on that is complete and not cropped. My photo in the text you quoted shows that the picture is cropped on both sides which should not happen if it was just an overscan issue.
thanks for letting us now, I had some emails with (@tivodesign) margret and she had me run some test, different video settings. None of them worked and she said she sent my findings to engineering.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #313
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I'm curious if you change the TiVo settings to show gray bars instead of black, are the bars still black or change to gray. If they change to gray, then I would think the problem would be with the TiVo software, where it's misinterpreting the video resolution. If they stay black, then I would think the black bars are part of the video signal, though I doubt Comcast would send a different signal to TiVo and cable boxes.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #314
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'm curious if you change the TiVo settings to show gray bars instead of black, are the bars still black or change to gray. If they change to gray, then I would think the problem would be with the TiVo software, where it's misinterpreting the video resolution. If they stay black, then I would think the black bars are part of the video signal, though I doubt Comcast would send a different signal to TiVo and cable boxes.
From a post in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomperman View Post
I tried the settings below as requested and none of them solve the problem.

720p only - Full Aspect Correction
1080i only - Full Aspect Correction
1080i + 1080p - Full Aspect Correction
720p + 1080i + 1080p - Full Aspect Correction
720p + 1080i + 1080p - Panel Aspect Correction

I also tried changing the black bars to grey, and they show up grey on the HD OnDemand shows, so it appears to be a Tivo Issue.

minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #315
morac
Cat God

TiVo software problem it is then. That or Comcast is sending some non-standard resolution for VOD, but even then the TiVo software should be able to handle it since it's been update to work with Comcast VOD.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #316
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

A Boston area tech told me Xfinity On Demand will be live in Boston on June 6.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #317
cybah
Tivo Addict

^^^ Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
A Boston area tech told me Xfinity On Demand will be live in Boston on June 6.
I'm in boston and just got another premiere. I can't wait...!!

"If its not on Tivo, its not worth watching!"
cybah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #318
jmpage2

Two metros down, only another 200+ or so to go.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #319
inaka

Quote:
I sent Margret from Tivo (@tivodesign on twitter) pics of the issue that I'm seeing with HD programming and black bars.

This photo is the broadcast version of New Girl on Fox that shows the complete picture: i.imgur.com/x5veI.jpg

This is happening with every HD program I watch on demand and otherwise it works great and the picture quality is waaaay better than the Xbox Live app picture quality over ip.
Have you tried changing the aspect ratio of your TV and not the box?
For example, using 16:9 full, etc.
I know my display has two different 16:9 settings. One is true and one is full or something. Setup for no overscan, etc.

Unlikely, but worth a shot.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #320
generaltso

Do you suppose Boston just means Boston? Is it ridiculous to hope they might mean New England?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #321
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Do you suppose Boston just means Boston? Is it ridiculous to hope they might mean New England?
I assume it means New England just like the Motorola/Comcast/Tivo.

One of the reps also told me that the Motorola/Comcast/Tivo boxes were being taken out of service and needed to be returned by August. I spent 4 and a half hours trying to get a cable card paired today and talked to 8 different reps. Most had no clue what they were talking about so take that with a grain of salt. My mom is returning hers anyway so it doesn't matter either way.

I am so thankful to have Verizon FIOS.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #322
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Why don't you ask the people in LA/San-Diego if the "Bay Area" included a roll out in that area.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #323
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcox65 View Post
After that my TiVo was able to browse through content, but when I tried to play any content it would play for about two seconds and then stop.
Thanks, this information may help me. I'm having the same problem with my new Premiere. This is exactly what's happening to me. I went through 40 minutes on the phone with three different Comcast folks who couldn't solve the problem. The last guy was the most helpful but he told me there was nothing he could do, that I had to wait until May 10th when Comcast would be sending out a mass authorization to all eligible Tivo's. It's May 10th and it's still broken. I'll wait until tomorrow, then if it still isn't working I'll waste more of my time trying to find someone who knows how to fix it. What a waste. Not really a successful product launch I'd say. They might have to delay launching in other areas if they can't figure out how to get the Bay Area working.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #324
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Why don't you ask the people in LA/San-Diego if the "Bay Area" included a roll out in that area.
Okay. Is anyone from one of those areas (or someplace else a fair distance from SF) that can comment on the availability? How far out from SF does it reach?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #325
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I don't think that is a very good indication of what they will do in Boston. I don't even know how far the Motorola/Comcast/Tivo spread. I know at least one person in NH had one but I have never heard anyone from another New England state mention it besides Massachusetts.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #326
suprstrpj
my spoon is too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Have you tried changing the aspect ratio of your TV and not the box?
For example, using 16:9 full, etc.
I know my display has two different 16:9 settings. One is true and one is full or something. Setup for no overscan, etc.

Unlikely, but worth a shot.
Believe me, I've tried everything to get those bars off including aspect ratio on the tv and the tivo. No dice.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #327
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcox65 View Post
Just in case anybody is still having trouble with this, I can tell you my story of (eventual) triumph.

The XFINITY menu popped up on my TiVo this morning. I tried it out and the menus came up just fine, but content was redirecting my TiVo to the grey cablecard screen.

I got on this very forum and found the TiVo/Cablecard pairing hotline: 866-986-8486

The very friendly guy there walked me through the process of discovering that my CableCard did indeed need to be paired.

So I called the Comcast Cablecard specific pairing hotline at 877-405-2298. That guy took my cablecard information and paired up my cablecard within 10 minutes.

Not wanting to call COMCAST again I called the TiVo 866 number again. The very friendly guy checked my configuration and told me that I had a known issue and that I had to talk to COMCAST again, BUT instead of having me call 1-800-COMCAST he transfered me to a special 2nd Level Support Team within COMCAST. He was not allowed to give me the number or I would post it here (which is probably why he wasn't allowed to give me the number).

When he transfered me the number rang literally for about 5 minutes. At least 3 minutes. I almost got discouraged but I figured it was ringing someplace and I would just hang on. Finally somebody answered. I had to explain that I *didn't* have a trouble ticket open yet, that I was transfered directly from TiVo, that yes TiVo Premiere boxes supported On Demand in a Trial area -- and he finally took me seriously. He took down my information and told me he'd call me back in 15 minutes.

15 minutes later he verified that yes there was a rollout of this service and he'd get onto fixing the problem, hopefully within an hour.

I had to leave for work, but I got a call at work about 4 hours later saying he believed he fixed my account to resolve the issue, could I try it out?

When I got home it was fixed. I've been able to access all kinds of On Demand television shows and movies without a problem.

Fixing my problem required the two special numbers above and patience, but everybody I talked to was helpful and courteous and effective.
Thanks for your tip about the second level support at Comcast. I was eventually able to get my Xfinity OnDemand working. I had the problem where I could go into the Xfinity menus and select a show and start to play it but after a second or two it would freeze.

After many reps at Comcast yesterday were unable to find the problem I called Tivo today. The support guy at Tivo didn't know about the "special" number you mentioned but I told him you had gotten transferred to it and he searched on his system and found a phone number. It was a national network support line that wasn't supposed to talk to customers directly but the guy there did help me after hearing my story. He found that my cable card was set for a host type (server) that did not support OnDemand so he fixed that but it still wasn't working. He emailed my local Comcast network engineers and they told him that I was missing some billing information on my account. I called to the regular Comcast number and billing support told me everything looked fine and sent me once again to cable tech support and because of the clue from the national network tech about the billing information not being correct he looked closely and saw that my subscription information had not been backed up to the cable card. He wasn't sure if that was the problem but it was the only thing he could see that hadn't been done. He had to do a special "hit" to the card to back up the subscription data to it and then my OnDemand started working. This was not the regular hit that they do to add channels or add the Tivo Premiere tier to your cable card (which must be on it too for OnDemand to work, but they added this for me early on), this was a special "hit" that backed up the subscription information to the card. I hope this helps someone. I wasted hours getting this to work but I'm happy now it's finally working.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #328
justinw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I don't think that is a very good indication of what they will do in Boston. I don't even know how far the Motorola/Comcast/Tivo spread. I know at least one person in NH had one but I have never heard anyone from another New England state mention it besides Massachusetts.
I live in Connecticut, about 2 hours Southwest of Boston. We had the moto TiVo available in our area. So I am hoping when they say Boston they mean New England area or at least the markets that had an option for a moto TiVo.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #329
cybah
Tivo Addict

Confirmed

Well I've had a support person confirm that yes, the OnDemand App is coming to TiVos in Boston.

I had to call for a cable card issue and once i said I had a TiVo, she's like "oh we got a memo stating that the OnDemand is coming to Tivo in your area". She couldnt remember the date or the exact wording but it was "soon". The tech is coming on thursday so I'll ask the tech then.

Honestly, I think the rollout will initially be anyone who is ex-ContientialCableVision/MediaOne/AT&TBB in Eastern MA & Southern NH. It might start initially as Boston and the immediate suburbs (Somerville, Cambridge,Newton.Brookline,Roxbury,Dochester,etc), then roll out from there.

But I can't see why the rest of New England wouldn't follow. Comcast tends to roll out things this way here in New England (a staggered, radiating from Boston). It really depends on how your cable system for your town is setup..

Comcast see's New England as one business unit so I can't see why eventually it would be region wide.

"If its not on Tivo, its not worth watching!"

Last edited by cybah : 05-15-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: tech coming edit..
cybah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #330
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinw View Post
I live in Connecticut, about 2 hours Southwest of Boston. We had the moto TiVo available in our area. So I am hoping when they say Boston they mean New England area or at least the markets that had an option for a moto TiVo.
That mean you will buy a TiVo?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote