TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
innocentfreak

TiVo Premiere to add Xfinity on Demand

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-05/...ity-on-demand/

TiVo Press release

It looks like it will be in select markets according to Dave Zatz's post.

It appears this is replacing the original plan to roll out the TiVo UI on Cisco and Motorola hardware. http://www.multichannel.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 05-09-2011 at 10:36 AM.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
andyf

You know this is coming over your network and not cable, right? Similar to the iPad app? We all know what a great experience the Netflix streaming is like.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
innocentfreak

Yeah, and my Netflix streaming works great not that it matters since I don't have Comcast.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
You know this is coming over your network and not cable, right? Similar to the iPad app? We all know what a great experience the Netflix streaming is like.
Do you know this for a fact or are you just talking?
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
MrSkippy53

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf
Other than not having a search function within the TiVo Netflix app I have no problems streaming Netflix. And for searching Netflix one can use the find programs function.
MrSkippy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
jaredmwright

This is great news! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have Comcast, so I look forward to this added feature. I have been missing out on all of the Comcast VOD since I really hate their interface and have not wanted to add an additional set top box to my setup. I also have DirectTV and it will be nice to have VOD from both providers to fill in gaps or catch up on content. Hopefully this will roll out this year. Unfortunately, TiVo has been slow to roll out any features to our Premiere units, Hulu being delayed significantly and the boxes still running slow and the HD interface being unfinished.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Finally a real reason to upgrade from Series 3 units to the Premiere.

Well, you know, when it's a shipping feature. In my area. Which probably means 2014. Or later. *sigh* But it's the thought that counts, right?

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
socrplyr

While it is nice to see this coming, it will be a long wait. At least according to the press release. Early NEXT Year...
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

So, where all that matters is "what about me", I must say this is way more intriguing than Hulu Plus. I already have Comcast, and with this I can see TiVo moving more boxes.

Hulu Plus is a nice feature, but where is the revenue to TiVo? Would it really add subscriptions?
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
That's not how the previous implementations work...

(And my Netflix streaming is great on every device other than TiVo.)
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
drjlb

Wait. They're giving out free Premiere boxes?
"Comcast will install TiVo Premiere set-top boxes with its cable service at no additional charge for its customers when the service is available in those markets."
drjlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No, they'll give you a Premier and charge you the regular HD DVR rental fee.

Given Tivo's track record lately, does anyone really think this will see the light of day next year? This Seachange VOD stuff was announced, what, a year and a half ago?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Given Tivo's track record lately, does anyone really think this will see the light of day next year? This Seachange VOD stuff was announced, what, a year and a half ago?
RCN has been doing it...
http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/digital-.../tivo-premiere

Quote:
Access RCN ON DEMAND (over 10,000 hours of ON DEMAND content)

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
drjlb

Quote:

I'll take a free Premiere in place of their normal DVR any day. It would also be nice not to be tied to TiVo's crazy monthly pricing schemes.
drjlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlb View Post
TiVo's crazy monthly pricing schemes.
TiVo may have several pricing scenarios, but Comcast's are way closer to be in the realm of "schemes."
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

Ho-Hum.. Further proof that if Tivo/Cable Co. can make a buck.. that development gets fast tracked, everything else.. nada.

Can't Tivo work on multiple things at once? Please Tivo, can we have one free development (more HD screens,better mp3 player) for every 10 cable company developments?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschuler2007 View Post
Ho-Hum.. Further proof that if Tivo/Cable Co. can make a buck.. that development gets fast tracked, everything else.. nada.

Can't Tivo work on multiple things at once? Please Tivo, can we have one free development (more HD screens,better mp3 player) for every 10 cable company developments?
If next year is your idea of being fast tracked, I would be curious to see what your idea of slow is.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #18
aindik

I will get a Premiere if and when this feature goes live in Philadelphia. This will be way better than what I do now, which is hook up a laptop to the TV and access programming on the XFinity web site.

People interpreted the statement as saying you can rent a Premiere from Comcast, for their then-prevailing DVR rental fee? I didn't get that at all. What I got was that they'd install one at no additional charge.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
atmuscarella

So will non-Comcast customers be able to access shows on xfinity on their Tivos, like non-Comcast customers can access shows on Xfinity via a web browser on a computer?

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #20
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
So will non-Comcast customers be able to access shows on xfinity on their Tivos, like non-Comcast customers can access shows on Xfinity via a web browser on a computer?

Thanks,
If you're not a Comcast subscriber, I think all you can do on XFinityTV.com is click links to shows streaming elsewhere (like on Hulu or on the network's web site). You can't access Comcast's own video on demand lineup.

I can't imagine they'll try to replicate that on a TiVo.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
johnf@home

Darn.

When I was having problems getting my TiVo HD repaired (which took three exchanges), TiVo said they'd upgrade that third exchange to a Premiere. But when the unit arrived what was in the box was yet another TiVo HD. As this one worked, though, I decided to not make an issue of it; who knows how many more swaps would have been needed to get everything working smoothly? And while a Premiere would have been nice, there was no compelling reason to upgrade, especially since if I did upgrade to a Premiere I'd want to use it as my primary unit. This would mean swapping the storage extender to that box (and finding temporary storage space for around 1TB of stored programming while moving the extender between TiVos). All in all, it just didn't seem worth it. But being able to access Xfinity on-demand programming would be a definite bonus.

This might be just enough to keep me tied to Comcast+TiVo for a while longer.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Will these boxes have Amazon and Netflix on them?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
MrSkippy53

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak

If next year is your idea of being fast tracked, I would be curious to see what your idea of slow is.
LoL
Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Slow is the DirecTv Tivo...
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #25
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Will these boxes have Amazon and Netflix on them?
If it's *customer purchased*, yes. If it's actually rented from the cable company in lieu of their regular cable box, I think not. Current rules PREVENT them from allowing outside-cable-company video on cable company boxes.

My question, as I've never used cable VOD -- how many of the network shows can you get, and how long in the past does the VOD archive last?

I know, it's not going to be years (I literally *do* record shows and then watch them over a year later -- which can be bad like when my hard drive died and I lost at least a full season of Cold Case which will likely never be on DVD due to music rights issues)... But if I can save disk space and/or deal with programming conflicts by using VOD, that's actually a reason to get a Premiere. (Will it get me to get one as soon as it comes out? No.. but if the 4 tuner box that was asked about in the survey comes out and has this -- that would be something to make me upgrade, at least if lifetime subscriptions are still available at the time.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #26
rainwater

Quote:
Most likely only the initial communication occurs over the network (the 2-way part of the cablecard spec that never saw fruition). The rest would most likely work just as a regular cable provided box works.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
While it is nice to see this coming, it will be a long wait. At least according to the press release. Early NEXT Year...
This is a joke. Next year? At the speed with which this niche of the industry (on demand, streaming type of viewing) is moving, anything half a year away is already outdated. Get it out NOW, and provide some reason for people to buy (use?) these products. In half a year or more, we'll have the next greatest thing, and this will be about as useful as Amazon on Demand is (was).

I'm continually amazed out how slow TiVo rolls out their own internal advancements.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Which is a better deal then my current one with Comcast where they charge me TWO HD DVR rental fees to use two CableCARDs in the Tivo I OWN.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #29
MrSkippy53

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer

Which is a better deal then my current one with Comcast where they charge me TWO HD DVR rental fees to use two CableCARDs in the Tivo I OWN.
Dude call comcast. They can't charge u for a HD DVR fee if you own a TiVo. They should charge ~$10 for HD service (that covers all boxes in your house) and ~$1.50 for the cable card.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
That's not how the previous implementations work...

(And my Netflix streaming is great on every device other than TiVo.)
I was using Netflix on my Premiere last night since there were issues with Netflix on the Boxee Box. It certainly reminded my how great the picture quality is coming from my TiVos. SInce the TiVo outputs at the native resolution of 720P, and then is running through my Algolith Flea and then my DVDO DUO. The picture is noticeably better than what comes from my 360, PS3, Boxee Box, or LG BD player. Since those devices don't have native resolution output and all have inferior quality.

I just might have to start using my Premieres more for my Netflix streaming than my Boxee Boxes. The picture was so much better than all of my other Netflix devices.

I'll have to tell my brother about this Comcast deal. He is also missing recordings with his crappy Comcast DVR, but he did not want to buy a TiVo outright. If he can rent a TiVo instead of the crappy Comcast DVR he will go for it since he would also have access to VOD. Without the VOD he would not go for it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote