TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #241
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I just saw this on Slickdeals and figured I'd post it in case anyone is looking for a paid Usenet provider. Looks like they are limited slots available and once gone so is the deal:

Quote:
theCubeNet -
Specials - Unlimited Monthly (456 Available)
1118+ days retention, No Expiration Date, 50 Connections, SSL Encryption, 24/7 Support, US and EU Servers.

Limited time offer, $6.99 every month for LIFE! No price hike
Word is they are a Highwind reseller and pretty reliable. If I hadn't just renewed my Astraweb last month I'd probably make the switch to save a few bucks.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #242
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I just saw this on Slickdeals and figured I'd post it in case anyone is looking for a paid Usenet provider. Looks like they are limited slots available and once gone so is the deal:

Word is they are a Highwind reseller and pretty reliable. If I hadn't just renewed my Astraweb last month I'd probably make the switch to save a few bucks.
Highwinds + Reliable shouldn't go be together in the same sentence in my opinion. The owner of "TheCubenet" posted this deal on NZBMatrix. It's a new venture which just started and they resell Highwinds.

Highwinds is hit hard by DMCA take down notices. Also, their general completion can be spotty at times. They do have a good rep for being able to max out internet connections and being relatively cheap.

The only way I would recommend a Highwinds reseller is if you get a $5 a month unlimited Black Friday deal and buy a backup usenet block from Blocknews.net or Astraweb to use as a fill server. The block accounts would fill in the missing stuff from the Highwinds server. Otherwise go with or stick with Astraweb for unlimited. The cost savings and headaches are not worth it.

FYI,

Astraweb has an annual subscription option with will work out to $8 a month if you prepay $96 a year. Some people don't like to prepay a whole year or can't afford to, but it's an option. Astraweb still has their standard $11 a month sub.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/special...gufplhxfr2cwsw
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #243
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Thanks for the info. I know nothing about them but was going from what others were saying about them which all seemed to be pretty good. I've been with Astraweb for over a year now and have had no problems whatsoever.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #244
jedispork

I'm surprised you guys still use a tivo if you have usenet. I've been trying to get away from usenet but not many options. Wasting gas to rent and return discs is not something I will go back to. Netflix is the main alternative but the streaming is limited and you wait a long time for newer titles to become available. Amazon is still to high with $4 rentals and $2 tv shows if you watch a lot.

I'm not sure how much longer this free for all to everything will be around. Usenet providers and indexing sites are a major target now for the mafiaa. I'm in between on all this stuff. I don't think it should be free yet the prices they charge can be insane unless you wait it out.
jedispork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #245
cditty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post

I'm once and done with these guys. Had several problems connecting to them this weekend. 1st - url was incorrect. 2nd - url fixed then it was too many connections. 3rd - userid/password was wrong. 4th - Possible sharing of accounts. 5th - They said they were gonna throttle, then clarified, then said they weren't.

All this was within 3 days and none of it on my end. I'm glad I'm only out $7 and not more.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #246
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cditty View Post
I'm once and done with these guys. Had several problems connecting to them this weekend. 1st - url was incorrect. 2nd - url fixed then it was too many connections. 3rd - userid/password was wrong. 4th - Possible sharing of accounts. 5th - They said they were gonna throttle, then clarified, then said they weren't.

All this was within 3 days and none of it on my end. I'm glad I'm only out $7 and not more.
The owner got a wake up call when a few heavy hitters started downloading this weekend. This is new service and is experiencing growing pains.

http://www.thecubenet.com/support/an...ments.php?id=4

Still wouldn't recommend Highwinds because of DMCA (they get a lot) take downs and spotty completion at times. The one thing Highwinds can do is max out internet connections consistently.

For unlimited usenet without DMCA take down issues and very good completion I would would recommend Astraweb.com and Usenetnow.net.

Usenetnow has fantastic customer service that can be reached 7 days a week. They respond quickly.

Astraweb has a good service but their customer support doesn't work on weekends. They can only be reached on weekdays.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #247
cditty

To add to my previous post, last night, they changed my password saying too many attempts from various ip addresses.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #248
Malcontent

Blocknews.net is running a special deal. They are selling 100 gig non expiring usenet blocks for $8.99.

http://twitter.com/#!/usenetnow

http://billing.blocknews.net/signup.php?price_group=-2

For those that are using an unlimited usenet provider, Blocknews.net makes an excellent back up usenet server. Perfect for downloading missing stuff from your primary usenet provider because of DMCA take downs or missing articles.

Existing Blocknews customers can take advantage of this offer by going into their account center and buying from there.

Last edited by Malcontent : 10-13-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #249
crspyjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cditty View Post

We admit we didn't handle the situation in the best manner.

All of the issues you listed were resolved. It was an issue with Highwind servers causing issues 1 to 4.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about us, I'll be glad to answer them.

We're also offering a special 1TB Block account @ $50 right now.
crspyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #250
cditty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspyjohn View Post
We admit we didn't handle the situation in the best manner.

All of the issues you listed were resolved. It was an issue with Highwind servers causing issues 1 to 4.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about us, I'll be glad to answer them.

We're also offering a special 1TB Block account @ $50 right now.
Thanks for posting a response, but for me, I'm once and done.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #251
crowfan
The Dude abides

I'm very new to Usenet and I have a question.

I'm all set up (using SABnzbdPlus on my Linux server (Fedora 14 with Amahi), with a block account from Blocknews.net and NZBmatrix as my index site) and things seem to be working fine.

Two questions though:

1) The speed doesn't seem to be that much greater that torrenting, in some cases much slower. I know speed can vary, but on the average it hasn't been all that great so far. I don't know if there are additional things I need to do. Any port forwarding needed? What about the number of connections? I've tried anywhere from 5 to 20 and it didn't seem to make a difference.

2) I've only tried a few downloads but had many problems. I thought most of the content up there was in good shape? I've wasted a bunch of gigs so far watching something download, only to have it say "repair failed" a bunch of times. Having a block account, I'm watching my gigs. Am I just having bad luck with the NZBs I'm picking, or is this just how it is?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by crowfan : 03-31-2012 at 06:40 AM.
crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #252
leahsguide

Their ordering system broke in between the transfer process from Paypal back to them so the money left my account, went floating around in never, never land and they said they never got it. Between about 50 emails and 3 calls to Paypal and 4 calls to UsenetServer, I think we're finally straight. I went ahead and paid for a year. At $7.50 a month, its hard to argue with that price.
leahsguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #253
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post

1) The speed doesn't seem to be that much greater that torrenting, in some cases much slower.

2) I've only tried a few downloads but had many problems. I thought most of the content up there was in good shape?

Thanks!
You should be maxing out your internet connection when downloading from usenet (immediately). How old are the files your downloading? What port and which server are you using? You don't need to forward any ports. At least you don't on a Windows set up. I don't know about Linux.

Double check your server settings in Sabnzbd. I would recommend using SSL port 443, USA server. How fast is your internet connection? 8-10 connections should be enough on average. Make sure you have the SSL box checked in Sabnzbd set up under Blocknews server settings.

Check your Post processing settings in Sabnzbd. Pretty much everything should be checked marked.

I don't have any experience with Linux. It could be something with how it's set up on your Linux server.

Have you tried downloading from a Windows set up? Try it. If you have no problem downloading from Windows then you know it's your Linux set up.

Blocknews has one of the best article completion of all the usenet providers. You shouldn't be getting that many failed downloads.

If all else fails contact Blocknews support. They are VERY helpful. They have the best customer service.

Last edited by Malcontent : 03-31-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #254
crowfan
The Dude abides

Here are my server settings:

I have FIOS, here is my speed test:

But I am not seeing those speeds. {ETA: The server is a HP MediaSmart EX495, not the most powerful machine. Intel Pentium Processor Dual Core 2.5 GHZ 64-bit ; 2GB of DDR2 DRAM. Could that be bottlenecking things?}

The files I am attempting to download are on the older side. The one that failed most recently is 1235 days.

I don't have a Windows machine here but I can try on a Mac.

I don't know that much about Linux myself, but I read up on everything before doing it, and it seemed simple enough. And it is working, just not as fast as I'd have thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by crowfan : 03-31-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #255
Malcontent

Quote:

The files I am attempting to download are on the older side. The one that failed most recently is 1235 days.

I don't have a Windows machine here but I can try on a Mac.
Yeah, 1235 days is at the extreme end of current retention. I think that is the problem with your speed. Blocknews resells Readnews usenet service. Readnews puts files that old on slower servers.

No one usenet service is perfect. Giganews and Highwinds take down content like HBO, XBOX games, ect. because of DMCA notices. If you download targeted content quickly there is no problem. If you wait to long it will be gone. Highwinds has some general completion issues unrelated to DMCA. Blocknews and Astraweb generally don't have as many issues with DMCA. Both have the best completion of the lot.

What many usenet users do is get a back up usenet provider. The back up provider ideally would be used to get the missing/slow stuff.

You won't find one usenet provider that is perfect. I don't like that Blocknews/Readnews puts extremely old stuff on slower servers. But I accept it because Blocknews has superior completion (and customer support) and I rarely need to download files that old. When I do, I use a back up provider.

Depending on the content your downloading I would recommend Astraweb.com as a back up to Blocknews. Both have great completion. You shouldn't have the speed problem with those extremely old files. Normally you would configure Astraweb as a "back Up" server in Sabnzbd. But to get the extremely old files, configure Astraweb as primary server and download the old files from Astraweb. To get younger stuff configure Blocknews as primary and Astraweb as back up.

FYI, Astraweb does have a known completion problem around the 200-300 day range. It was due to a technical glitch awhile back. It's completion is better then Highwinds and Giganews in regard to DMCA take down notices.

Again, I stress that no ONE usenet provider will provide perfect service. Experienced usenet users use at least 2 usenet providers. They leverage the strength of each to compensate for any weakness that a solitary provider may have.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #256
crowfan
The Dude abides

I appreciate all the help.

I tried it on my Mac and had the same issue.

I am now trying a newer file, and it's faster. Still not as fast as I would have thought, but not the glacial pace I was seeing before. The downloads screen on SAB is reporting about 374 KB/s (it fluctuates, of course). Still nowhere near my download speed on FIOS though.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #257
Malcontent

Quote:
I appreciate all the help.

I tried it on my Mac and had the same issue.

I am now trying a newer file, and it's faster. Still not as fast as I would have thought, but not the glacial pace I was seeing before. The downloads screen on SAB is reporting about 374 KB/s (it fluctuates, of course). Still nowhere near my download speed on FIOS though.
Blocknews may not be the best provider for you. I don't have a super fast internet connection, so I don't encounter problems like this.

I would suggest buying a small block from Astraweb and see if you get better results. If you do, then go with Astaweb and use Blocknews as back up. It's a matter of finding the right provider(s) for you.

Once you get things smoothed out, you have to make sure which usenet plan is right for you. A block account or an unlimited account. Depending on how much you download, one or the other will be more economical.

Blocknews does have a cost/savings calculator you can use to figure out if usenet blocks or unlimited is cheaper for you.

http://blocknews.net/calc/calc.html
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #258
crowfan
The Dude abides

Thanks.

I may try a small block from Astraweb. I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible, and I don't download that much, so I went for a block account.

It's been about a half hour since I started, and it's downloaded about 1 GB.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #259
Malcontent

Quote:
Thanks.

I may try a small block from Astraweb. I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible, and I don't download that much, so I went for a block account.

It's been about a half hour since I started, and it's downloaded about 1 GB.
I hope it works out for you.

I see from your alias you are a fan of the movie "The Crow". Or does it mean something else? It's one of my favorite movies.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #260
dilorc
Nice Guy

Quote:
I'm very new to Usenet and I have a question.

I'm all set up (using SABnzbdPlus on my Linux server (Fedora 14 with Amahi), with a block account from Blocknews.net and NZBmatrix as my index site) and things seem to be working fine.

Two questions though:

1) The speed doesn't seem to be that much greater that torrenting, in some cases much slower. I know speed can vary, but on the average it hasn't been all that great so far. I don't know if there are additional things I need to do. Any port forwarding needed? What about the number of connections? I've tried anywhere from 5 to 20 and it didn't seem to make a difference.

2) I've only tried a few downloads but had many problems. I thought most of the content up there was in good shape? I've wasted a bunch of gigs so far watching something download, only to have it say "repair failed" a bunch of times. Having a block account, I'm watching my gigs. Am I just having bad luck with the NZBs I'm picking, or is this just how it is?

Thanks!
The download speed should be maxing out your internet connection, or at least close to it. You seem to have pretty fast internet. I can consistently download at about 1.5 MB (Megabytes, not bits) / sec. I normally throttle it to 1.2 MB/sec to leave some overhead for web surfing.

There should be no additional linux or network setup. This is not like bittorrent...your computer is not acting like a server that others connect to. It's acting as a client, so no port forwarding is necessary.

Downloading from newgroups is a little more CPU intensive than bittorrent. With bittorrent, you download the data. With newgroups, you are downloading ASCII encoded binary data. One file is hundreds of messages. SABnzbd has to put those messages back together. In effect, instead of downloading a continuous stream you are downloading thousands of tiny files. This can cause more stress on a computer. What kind of hardware are you running SABnzbd on? I run it in a 2 core VM with 4GB of memory.

1200+ days is definitely on the old side for a successful download. I totally understand how frustrating it can be to download a file and not have it repair! Something that old, you might be better off using torrents.

For recent files, I almost never have a problem. I can't remember the last time I tried to download a currently running TV show and it failed.

Edit: reread your post and I see you posted specs. That should be fine. Try throttling to 1500 KB/s in SAB and see if you get a more consistent experience. Your internet speed may actually be too fast for the server.

Last edited by dilorc : 03-31-2012 at 03:42 PM.
dilorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #261
dilorc
Nice Guy

...and when you are downloading, log into the server and run the top command. You'll see a like near the top that looks like this:

Cpu(s): 1.5%us, 0.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 98.3%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

See if the "wa" number gets high. That means that the CPU is waiting on something, usually Disk IO.
dilorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #262
innocentfreak

Thundernews and thecubenet both have special limited promotions today.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=48910310

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #263
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Thundernews and thecubenet both have special limited promotions today.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=48910310
Just a FYI, both resell Highwinds usenet service. Highwinds does remove content because of DMCA take down requests. HBO, XBOX games, ect. are targeted. If you download targeted content quickly then you shouldn't have a problem. But if you wait to long or try to download old targeted content, you will run into problems.

What some people do is get these cheap $5 unlimited Highwinds deals and then buy non expiring (one off) usenet blocks from Astraweb or Blocknews as back up servers. When they try downloading missing content from Highwinds, your usenet client downloads the missing pieces from your back up server(s) automatically.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #264
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I recently downloaded like 7GB for a movie that was posted over 2 years ago. This was RAR and PAR files. I had something like 99.8% of the parts needed to repair/extract the file. Such a let down.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #265
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

I am relatively new to Usenet and -- since it's kinda like Fight Club -- I'm glad I found this thread...

I'm using SuperNews which, I believe, re-sells Giganews for a significantly lower rate. I'm still paying monthly at $10 because I haven't been 100% convinced I want to keep it. I'm using SABnzbd, Sick Beard, and Couch Potato on an always-on iMac. I use the system as part of my cord-cutting set up to grab cable shows like "Storm Chasers" and "Covert Affairs." I then play the content back on my Roku via Plex.

For relatively recent content, I have never had any issues. The downloads are lightning fast. For older stuff, yeah, same problems as mentioned before.

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #266
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I recently downloaded like 7GB for a movie that was posted over 2 years ago. This was RAR and PAR files. I had something like 99.8% of the parts needed to repair/extract the file. Such a let down.
These programs are very useful if your using usenet blocks. It saves you from wasting them. Also useful in saving you time and bandwidth in general.

NZB Download Checker

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...-Checker.shtml

Quote:
The NZB Download Checker application was designed to be a small freeware tool that checks an NZB for you, in order find out if the files you want to download from Usenet exist on the newsserver(s). This way you don't have to download large files, only to find out half way through, you won't be able to get the download complete and are wasting your time and bandwidth.

Every file on Usenet is split up into many separate parts and every part has its own unique number (Message ID). NZB Download Checker sends all the Message ID's listed in the NZB file to your newsserver(s) and checks which reply it gets back from the newsserver. This way it can determine how much of the data is available without actually downloading the files
NZB Completion Checker

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...-Checker.shtml

Quote:
The NZB Completion Checker application was developed to be a small tool that will allow you to see if a file is available on a usenet / newsgroup server.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #267
crowfan
The Dude abides

Grr...another one, this time a newer one, got all the way through then crapped out on repair. "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (1725 short)."

I'm gonna try out these tools linked above.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #268
Malcontent

Quote:
Grr...another one, this time a newer one, got all the way through then crapped out on repair. "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (1725 short)."

I'm gonna try out these tools linked above.
How old was the content?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #269
crowfan
The Dude abides

I just deleted it so I'm not sure, but I think it was ~400d. I'm trying yet another that's about 257d. It's much faster.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #270
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Not sure if you are using sbanzbd or not, but if so if you click on the title in history it will tell you what failed. Sometimes it is just the nfo or preview file or some extra file that you don't need.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote