TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #1291
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Where'd ya glean that from? I haven't seen any post here that says that...
brettatk said he was happy with Astra and I can't see how that can be with automated takedown.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #1292
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe the things he's interested in downloading haven't been subjected to DMCA takedowns?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 05-01-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #1293
cditty

Thanks for the Dognzb tips. That was it. I guess my cookie expired and I didn't remember the other link.

I have Astraweb and don't have any real complaints. I get the shows I want, when I want them.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #1294
Ment

Quote:
Maybe the things he's interested in downloading haven't been subjected to DCAM takedowns?
That could be. My DL habits tend toward the premium networks which tend to attract DMCA attention.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #1295
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I download local, cable, and premium network shows and have never had an issue. I do mostly catch shows within an hour after they are released. But I have gone back and downloaded entire seasons as well without ever having a problem. Maybe I've just dodged those that attract DMCA attention. But until I have issues, I have no reason to switch from Astraweb to another Usenet provider.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #1296
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I download local, cable, and premium network shows and have never had an issue. I do mostly catch shows within an hour after they are released. But I have gone back and downloaded entire seasons as well without ever having a problem. Maybe I've just dodged those that attract DMCA attention. But until I have issues, I have no reason to switch from Astraweb to another Usenet provider.
Even after the automated takedowns started, I did not really have any problem with Astraweb, either. The issues that I was having with Nashville had started long before the automation, so I don't blame that.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #1297
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
For me I think it's more a matter of principle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
I don't like them personally because of the automated DMCA take downs. In truth all the major usenet providers honor valid DMCA take down requests. Some faster then others. I hated that Astraweb made it so freaking easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #1298
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Even after the automated takedowns started, I did not really have any problem with Astraweb, either. The issues that I was having with Nashville had started long before the automation, so I don't blame that.
I don't think I've ever downloaded Nashville, I record that with my TiVo. I did just test and downloaded an episode from Season 1 without any issues. Not sure why you weren't able to complete your downloads.

Does anyone have an example of something they couldn't get with Astraweb due to DMCA takedowns? I actually download quite a bit, I'm really surprised I haven't come across if it's as bad as some people say.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #1299
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I don't think I've ever downloaded Nashville, I record that with my TiVo. I did just test and downloaded an episode from Season 1 without any issues. Not sure why you weren't able to complete your downloads.
It was a couple of specific episodes, that I have long forgotten, but it also may be that they are only vigilant about taking down the current season episodes. I was trying to download them in relatively close to when they'd aired. A few episodes that I did get, I had no problem, but then there were just a couple stubborn ones... they weren't in Comcast's VOD, and there was only like one single episode source (compared to multiples for other eps) on the indexing sites I was using, and it was never complete.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #1300
Ment

Quote:

Does anyone have an example of something they couldn't get with Astraweb due to DMCA takedowns? I actually download quite a bit, I'm really surprised I haven't come across if it's as bad as some people say.
Back when I had Astra any popular HBO stuff got taken down pronto after broadcast.

Wonder if a reduction in DMCA request is what is actually happening. Perhaps they've found employing third parties to send scripted mass DMCA requests for them wasn't working.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #1301
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Out of curiosity I tried to download the Pilot episode of Nashville and was unable to do so. I have blocks with 4 different companies.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #1302
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Out of curiosity, I just tried the same and was successful. NZB.su search showed five results, I grabbed one, it downloaded fine, and it's playing right now.

File name: "Nashville S01E01 Pilot WEB DL XviD-iLoadz"
File size: 378.75 MB
File type: AVI

My servers are tweaknews (currently a free trial) and BlockNews. Spud, what 4 companies are you with?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #1303
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I don't watch a ton of HBO shows. I've downloaded Deadwood in the past. I haven't had any trouble downloading Silicon Valley.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #1304
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud View Post
Out of curiosity I tried to download the Pilot episode of Nashville and was unable to do so. I have blocks with 4 different companies.
I just tried to download a couple of HD versions and they all failed. I tried one SD version and it downloaded without any issues. I can go without HD for an episode here and there if necessary.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #1305
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I just tried the same and was successful. NZB.su search showed five results, I grabbed one, it downloaded fine, and it's playing right now.

File name: "Nashville S01E01 Pilot WEB DL XviD-iLoadz"
File size: 378.75 MB
File type: AVI

My servers are tweaknews (currently a free trial) and BlockNews. Spud, what 4 companies are you with?
I only tried to download an HD version.

I have blocks with Newsgroup Direct, Blocknews, Astraweb and Tweaknews. Since I primarily download current stuff I probably don't need all 4.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #1306
Ment

ah perhaps the auto scrape scripts have to include x264 or H264 and thus miss the mSD and xvid ones.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #1307
logic88

With the recent change in dognzb's URL, I accidentally had to rely on just Womble's and the Sickbeard index for a few days. Sickbeard still grabbed all of the shows so I guess subscribing to a premium nzb provider is more for older uploads and not recent ones?
logic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #1308
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
With the recent change in dognzb's URL, I accidentally had to rely on just Womble's and the Sickbeard index for a few days. Sickbeard still grabbed all of the shows so I guess subscribing to a premium nzb provider is more for older uploads and not recent ones?
yes any index or if you roll your own will contain nzb from the popular newsgroups

just by filling with nzb from
lt.binaries.boneless
alt.binaries.hdtv
alt.binaries.hdtv.x264
alt.binaries.movies
alt.binaries.tv
alt.binaries.tvseries

you probably get 95% of what people DL. Its devoting space to backfilling the other 5% that premium indexes shine.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #1309
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
Sickbeard's index only deals with TV shows. Not movies, games, music, books, software, ect. It can only be accessed through Sickbeard.

If your interested in downloading anything other then TV shows, then a premium indexer would be needed. With an premium indexer, you can also perform more precise searches for what your looking for.

Also for redundancy really. Sickbeard's index has on average a lot more issues from time to time then a decent premium indexer. Because it's free, pretty much everyone who installs and runs Sickbeard uses it. That's a lot of people hitting the Sickbeard index.

Last edited by Malcontent : 05-03-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #1310
GoPackGo

Everyone knows that Dog's API address changed, right?

It's now https://api.dognzb.cr

I hadn't noticed at first because Sickbeard just failed over to the Sickbeard Index. It was CouchPotato not finding things that made me investigate.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #1311
vertigo235

thanks I didn't notice that

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #1312
Malcontent

The Admin on Dognzb added a banner on the website for the last 10 days or so letting users know about the API address change taking affect May 1.

The banner has since been removed.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #1313
vertigo235

seems more important to have the banner after the change takes place, not before, because people would visit the site once their api would stop working.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #1314
Malcontent

NZBDrone is coming to Synology.

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comme...s_on_synology/
Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #1315
vertigo235

I'm already running it on my synology. I like it.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #1316
3D

I'm interested to hear what others do as far as English subtitles for non-English moments in English language films, particularly when you transcode or remux after downloading. It seems that only some movies have those subtitles as hard subtitles where one wouldn't need to do anything but transcode/remux as usual. For most titles, you'd need to open the original file with VLC and check to see if there are any forced subtitle tracks and, if so, which one. My concern is identifying the rare file that doesn't include any option for just displaying the English subtitles for the non-English portions (i.e., the file only has the all or nothing option). Are there common solutions to this issue or ways to check before downloading?
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #1317
DUDE_NJX

I mux subs tracks with the main movie, just in case, and turn them on if a part of the movie requires it.
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #1318
3D

That's what I'm trying to avoid, having to manually switch during discreet parts of a movie that would normally just have the subtitles for that part.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #1319
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Here's a Google Spreadsheet I bookmarked long ago:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=0&output=html

Although it's precisely issues like this that has me avoiding building my own local movie archive. Even the concern would drive me batty.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #1320
3D

That's a very useful link. Thanks!