Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #1141
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud View Post
The one Monday show I automatically download downloaded without issue as far as I can tell.
I download several and almost all failed. Things corrected themselves 2-3 hours later.

It was talked about on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comme...v_shows_today/
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #1142
vertigo235

I didn't have any problems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #1143
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I didn't have any problems
Who is your usenet provider?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #1144
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
When the tv shows are uploaded to usenet, they are propagated to all other usenet provider's servers. Last night there was a glitch which delayed that propagation. Some indexing sites will go ahead and index these shows and create nzbs for them.

When Sickbeard/Nzbdrone tries to download the shows (NZB), they don't yet exist completely on your usenet server. Downloads will fail.
Ahh thanks, makes sense

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #1145
vertigo235

Quote:
Who is your usenet provider?

I have frugal, xsusenet, easynews, and blocknews (which I think is the same as frugal anyhow just longer retention)

edit: but it looks like all my downloads from last night came succesfully from frugal and xsusenet (on the same level the rest are backups)

Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #1146
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
I download several and almost all failed. Things corrected themselves 2-3 hours later.

It was talked about on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comme...v_shows_today/
That would make sense since the show downloaded about 3 hours after your original post. I download the Web-DL version and they aren't always immediately available, so I don't pay attention to when something downloads.

The Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #1147
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I had 1 show out of 4 fail last night. I just downloaded it again and everything seems fine.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #1148
Malcontent

Those that didn't have issues last night most likely use indexers that didn't index the incomplete tv shows. Some indexers stopped indexing for 2-3 hours because of the propagation issues. Those resumed 'normal' indexing later allowing Sickbeard to download without issue.

Other indexers continued indexing and if Sickbeard/Nzbdrone used them, the downloads usually failed.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #1149
3D

I wound up going with a Frugal/Tweaknews combo. If I want access to past seasons of shows, how likely is it that it would require a significant use of the Tweaknews backup (which goes back 1100 days to Frugal's 300)? I'll throw out an example that I am NOT looking to download. I'll say up front that I've been an HBO subscriber for as long as I can remember, I have HBO Go, have watched every episode of Game of Thrones, can access it any time I want from HBO Go, and have no reason to download Game of Thrones. However, if I wanted to, would trying to get access to episodes from the first two seasons be next to impossible without relying on my backup provider? Isn't it harder in general to get older episodes these days, with usenet really being best used as a source for newer material before it's taken down? I'm fully covered on the tv front and have no plans to cut the cord, so the only types of shows I'd be interested in finding are ones that no longer air regularly.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #1150
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
I wound up going with a Frugal/Tweaknews combo. If I want access to past seasons of shows, how likely is it that it would require a significant use of the Tweaknews backup (which goes back 1100 days to Frugal's 300)? Isn't it harder in general to get older episodes these days, with usenet really being best used as a source for newer material before it's taken down? I'm fully covered on the tv front and have no plans to cut the cord, so the only types of shows I'd be interested in finding are ones that no longer air regularly.
Although Frugal advertises 300 days retention, in reality it's a little longer. Why they do this? CYA? I've been able to download stuff 600-700 days reliably. What the actual limit is I don't know. Stuff at the extreme limit of their retention may download slower then earlier stuff.

Test this your self by download stuff over 300 days. Be careful with the server retention limit setting in Sabnbd. Don't put 300 days in there for Frugal. That will limit yourself. You can probably figure out what the reliable limit is.

Stuff targeted by DMCA is taken down regardless of what a providers retention is. But stuff is regularly being reposted. So automating your downloads with Sickbeard will eventually pick up any older stuff your looking for when it's reposted. Sickbeard can be used to watch for old episode as well has new.

I would suggest running your set up for awhile and see how well it works. You can make any adjustments you may need later.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #1151
vertigo235

As far as older shows, you will probably have to wait for them to be reposted anyhow, they get taken down pretty regularly and even the overseas providers like tweaknews are not going to have them.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #1152
vertigo235

I've noticed even free.xsusenet.com has items well past their advertized 10 day retention.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #1153
jollygrunt777

Quote:
Those that didn't have issues last night most likely use indexers that didn't index the incomplete tv shows. Some indexers stopped indexing for 2-3 hours because of the propagation issues. Those resumed 'normal' indexing later allowing Sickbeard to download without issue.

Other indexers continued indexing and if Sickbeard/Nzbdrone used them, the downloads usually failed.
I've been recently noticing issues with sickbeard not downloading as automatically as usual. I was wondering what the problem was.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #1154
3D

Quote:
Although Frugal advertises 300 days retention, in reality it's a little longer. Why they do this? CYA? I've been able to download stuff 600-700 days reliably. What the actual limit is I don't know. Stuff at the extreme limit of their retention may download slower then earlier stuff.

Test this your self by download stuff over 300 days. Be careful with the server retention limit setting in Sabnbd. Don't put 300 days in there for Frugal. That will limit yourself. You can probably figure out what the reliable limit is.

Stuff targeted by DMCA is taken down regardless of what a providers retention is. But stuff is regularly being reposted. So automating your downloads with Sickbeard will eventually pick up any older stuff your looking for when it's reposted. Sickbeard can be used to watch for old episode as well has new.

I would suggest running your set up for awhile and see how well it works. You can make any adjustments you may need later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
As far as older shows, you will probably have to wait for them to be reposted anyhow, they get taken down pretty regularly and even the overseas providers like tweaknews are not going to have them.
Thanks.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #1155
Malcontent

Terabyte Tuesday

'Newsgroupdirect' is selling 1 Terabyte usenet blocks for $35 for the next 2 days. A savings of $65 per block. From 12 AM EST on March 18 until 12 AM EST on March 20. They resell Highwinds usenet service.

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/
Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #1156
MikeMar
Go Pats

Been a while, but isn't Highwinds one of the bad services to get?

I could be WAY off though

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #1157
jollygrunt777

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post

That's what I have heard, but with sickbeard, I've had good luck getting the shows I wanted on various highwinds resellers. With movies though, it's hit and miss, as I haven't found a sickbeard for movies.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #1158
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post

Not any worse then Astraweb or Giganews/Supernews NOW. IMHO. With Astraweb having automated DMCA takedowns and propagation issues and Giganews/Supernews get having it's own occasional propagation problems.

In the past Highwinds was behind the others in terms of service but DMCA has pretty much leveled the playing field for the most part. Factor in Astraweb recurring propagation issues and auto DMCA take downs makes Highwinds more attractive. Highwinds resellers are more competitive in price.

With automation, not much of an issue which provider you choose. Having a Dutch backup provider will help.

Last edited by Malcontent : 03-18-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #1159
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
That's what I have heard, but with sickbeard, I've had good luck getting the shows I wanted on various highwinds resellers. With movies though, it's hit and miss, as I haven't found a sickbeard for movies.
The Sickbeard like program for movies is called Coach Potato. https://couchpota.to/
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #1160
jollygrunt777

Quote:

With automation, not much of an issue which provider you choose. Having a Dutch backup provider will help.
Any suggestions for a good, safe Dutch reseller?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #1161
jollygrunt777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The Sickbeard like program for movies is called Coach Potato. https://couchpota.to/
I'll check it out. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #1162
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
Any suggestions for a good, safe Dutch reseller?
"Xsusenet" offers a lifetime free account. They now resell Tweaknews service.

The free account is limited to 1mbit in speed and 2 connections. No data limit. 10 days retention (it's actually a little longer then advertised). That's enough to be used as a backup server if your downloading new tv shows and movies. No SSL but that shouldn't turn you off since it's most likely only going to be downloading the missing articles occasionally and Xsusenet is located in the Netherlands.

http://www.xsusenet.com/

If you need more retention/SSL you could buy a block directly from Tweaknews and get 1100 days retention.

Last edited by Malcontent : 03-18-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #1163
logic88

I finally got around to trying out SABnzbd/Sickbeard. I followed this guide but I think I must have missed a step 'cause it isn't auto-downloading.

Is there an easy way to test the setup? I've setup a few shows but when I set episodes to "wanted", the NZBs are never downloaded.

I can manually download NZBs and have SABnzbd process them when I dump the NZBs into the watch folder but the auto-processing doesn't seem to be working.

Edit: Huh. It finally errored out. I guess I was missing the post-processing config step. I added the scripts folder to SABnzbd config and then renamed the sample script as well. Then a couple of episodes downloaded. Though not the one that triggered the error. I guess I'll find out over the next few days if there's anything else that I missed.

Last edited by logic88 : 03-28-2014 at 04:53 AM.
logic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #1164
logic88

Two questions about SickBeard:

1. Should I select both the default Sickbeard NZB feed and the 3rd party NZB feed that I subscribe to? Or is just the 3rd party feed sufficient? I noticed that things are downloading twice but I'm not 100% if that's because I selected both feeds or because I was mucking around with selecting items as "wanted".

2. If I want both the SD and 720p versions of a show, do I add a show twice or is there a switch somewhere else that I can use?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #1165
logic88

One more question.

I noticed that SABnzbd/Sickbeard only decodes the video file itself. Is there a way to get the other files too? Things like NFOs and subtitle files can be useful.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #1166
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
Two questions about SickBeard:

1. Should I select both the default Sickbeard NZB feed and the 3rd party NZB feed that I subscribe to? Or is just the 3rd party feed sufficient? I noticed that things are downloading twice but I'm not 100% if that's because I selected both feeds or because I was mucking around with selecting items as "wanted".

2. If I want both the SD and 720p versions of a show, do I add a show twice or is there a switch somewhere else that I can use?

Thanks!

1. You can select multiple search providers and it will only download the one it finds first. It won't download multiple times if you select multiple providers.

2. You can choose "Any" or the HD or SD version specifically but I'm not sure if you can choose to download both versions. You can always try to add one that gets the HD version and one that gets the SD and see if that works.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #1167
jimmyjjohn

Or so I've heard.
jimmyjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #1168
crowfan
The Dude abides

On dognzb (or I guess really any site), is there a way to search for a specific file type (e.g., one that can be played on Apple TV without having to be transcoded)?

crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #1169
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post
On dognzb (or I guess really any site), is there a way to search for a specific file type (e.g., one that can be played on Apple TV without having to be transcoded)?
Almost everything in HD is an mkv and SD it's an mp4 or an avi. I haven't seen anything that would let you search beyond that. Anything else would be really rare anyway.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #1170
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
One more question.

I noticed that SABnzbd/Sickbeard only decodes the video file itself. Is there a way to get the other files too? Things like NFOs and subtitle files can be useful.
In the post processing section you can select "move associated files" to do that.