Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #751
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

ISPs & tracking company ready to start anti piracy scheme [Torrent Freak].
Copyright Scofflaws Beware: ISPs to Begin Monitoring Illicit File Sharing [Wired]
Internet providers to begin warning customers who pirate content [CNN]

Mark Monitor were due to start snooping in November, but delayed the operation due to Hurricane Sandy.

Whilst BitTorrent is mentioned, there's no knowing that Mark Monitor won't be looking at data coming from Usenet, or out of a seedbox either.
Sounds ominous unless you are in Australia. I don't like where this is going...

Quote:
Any notice scheme requires ISPs to store data which ties their customers to alleged infringements which of course has privacy implications. Over in the United States there have been concerns that the information gathered as part of “six strikes” could be used for more than just warnings. Sure enough, last week it was revealed that the data voluntarily retained by ISPs could end up being used to file lawsuits against customers.
And once again the copyright holders miss the point. They'd rather beat us into submission instead of being reasonable and listening to WHY this is such a problem. If they made the stuff available at a fair price in a reasonable amount of time, a huge percentage of the pirating would stop. I can say for myself, that the ONLY time I download a TV show is when there is no other legitimate way to get it. I'd happily pay a few bucks. In fact, just last night I purchased the first four eps of Top Chef from Amazon.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #752
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
If they made the stuff available at a fair price in a reasonable amount of time, a huge percentage of the pirating would stop. I can say for myself, that the ONLY time I download a TV show is when there is no other legitimate way to get it.
This is how I use Usenet... I've mentioned a few times we have/had a Tivo with a dying drive and kept getting corrupted shows that could not be played. I offloaded as much as I could from it but any shows with bad blocks would not download and I had to fill in holes from Usenet.

Judging by this thread, though, this is not the way that a lot of people are using it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #753
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

SABnzbd 0.7.8 has been released

Features

Use "category" and "password" meta-data in NZB files (Provided by some indexers)

Option to abort download when it is clear that not enough data is available (For removed posts it will be faster than pre-download check)

Add "Abort" option for encryption detection

Removed articles are now listed separately in download report

Special option "wait_for_dfolder", enables waiting for external temp download folder at startup

Bug fixes
Fix problem with %fn substitution in Sorting
Pre-download check did not work with all servers
Fix missing Retry link for "Out of retention" jobs
API function "addfile" now accepts "nzbname" parameter for ZIP/RAR files with one NZB
Prevent retries when an NZB with just samples is retrieved from an indexer (and you had the "do not download samples" option enabled)
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #754
newsposter
Poster of News

does anyone pay for an anonymizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The people downloading are small fish -
unfortunately from what i gather, at least from utorrent, is if you download, you must upload at the same time. i guess thats where people who have comcast get warnings ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #755
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
unfortunately from what i gather, at least from utorrent, is if you download, you must upload at the same time. i guess thats where people who have comcast get warnings ?
Yes. But not just Comcast, from practically any ISP. I got a few of these emails and it's what ultimately made me switch from torrents to usenet.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #756
NetJunkie

Hard to anonymize torrent traffic. All you can do is go through a hop in the middle via VPN or other means which really hurts your speed. Another option is a seed box in another country but that breaks a lot of my automation.

NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #757
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
Hard to anonymize torrent traffic. All you can do is go through a hop in the middle via VPN or other means which really hurts your speed. Another option is a seed box in another country but that breaks a lot of my automation.
Pretty much impossible to be safe with torrents. I'm mostly out of the business 2-3 years but torrents were easy. SSL certainly hid the content from your ISP (in other ways transparent), but both endpoints were logged so WTF? VPN is vulnerable by multiple techniques, MIM, etc. Hey, let's talk Tor, the ultimate flypaper trap!

Seed box? I've read a little about that but it didn't register. Have you pirates found something that will keep you safe from heavy fines/jail? I doubt it.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #758
NetJunkie

My monthly cable bill clears my guilty conscious for being a "pirate".

No one downloading torrents is getting heavy jail time. Or heavy fines. Especially now with the multi-warning system most ISPs are doing. Plenty of warning.

But anyway... A seedbox is just a simple server sitting somewhere else. Usually on a high speed network at a colocation center. You run your torrent client from that. It's not on your ISP. It's often in another country. And it's on a fast connection so you can upload and download quickly.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #759
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
A seedbox is just a simple server sitting somewhere else. Usually on a high speed network at a colocation center. You run your torrent client from that. It's not on your ISP. It's often in another country. And it's on a fast connection so you can upload and download quickly.
Thanks. I'm sure that was well known by people more current than I, but I'll pass it on. If there are any subsequent posts here quoting specifics I'll be glad to quote them and thus further propagate the targets.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #760
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
If there are any subsequent posts here quoting specifics I'll be glad to quote them and thus further propagate the targets.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #761
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Some torrent clients let you turn off uploading (or limit it to 0 or 1 KB/s.) At least with xTorrent on the Mac, if you try to set it to 0, you get this:

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #762
newsposter
Poster of News

ah yes, thats it, if you turn off UL your DL speed suffers. i cant have that! one great thing about my slow DSL speed is i doubt anyone ever cares what i d/l nor monitors it

Quote:
are you talking about something like anonymizer.com?

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #763
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Using a VPN doesn't hurt my DL speed at all. I DL well seeded torrents at full speed through my VPN service.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #764
NetJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Using a VPN doesn't hurt my DL speed at all. I DL well seeded torrents at full speed through my VPN service.
What speed is that?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #765
SeanC
ECT

3 MBps
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #766
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
if you turn off UL your DL speed suffers.
Understand that uploading (and torrenting is uploading) is beyond any understanding as to what might be legally permissible.

Downloading? Lots of grey area that might keep you out of jail or allow you to escape huge fines, for some material. Soon your ISP may cancel your account, but that's another issue.

Don't upload.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #767
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Thanks. I'm sure that was well known by people more current than I, but I'll pass it on. If there are any subsequent posts here quoting specifics I'll be glad to quote them and thus further propagate the targets.
I'm confused by your contributions here. Who are you passing the information to, "further propagating the targets?" You're calling pirates "miscreants" while claiming to have been part of the "scene" years ago yourself. You're giving warnings as well as advice, but it seems a bit, I dunno, veiled and angry. I'm just confused about your personal angle here.

FWIW, I'm not a BitTorrent user and the few times I've used Usenet it was for discussion, and non-copyrighted materials.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #768
DUDE_NJX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
FWIW, I'm not a BitTorrent user and the few times I've used Usenet it was for discussion, and non-copyrighted materials.
Yeah, the Linux distros take up about 12TB on my server too...
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #769
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
I'm confused by your contributions here.
Free speech: you'll not find a stronger proponent than I. Plus I'm a techie and love this stuff. But much of the activity discussed here (not all, Betamax et. al. prevails) is contrary to law and reprehensible. I'd like to see a raid and mass arrests and fines of many of you.

But I will never rat out anyone here or elsewhere in free discussion. Never.

The issue raised was my quoting direct exchanges, and thus further propagating to authorities the illegal activities. Yeah, I'll do that. Name a specific and If I decide to respond to your post I may well include in my response, as a quote, that specific.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #770
NetJunkie

Raids and arrest? Wow. Pretty harsh for what is essentially time shifting.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #771
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I use usenet a lot, but my conscious is clear on most of the stuff. I know what I'm doing is still wrong. When the raid Wil orders on my house happens, I know I would be deserving of it.

I usually download Howard Stern's radio show, even though I pay for Sirius. I like the convenience of having the MP3 of the show. I don't want to miss any of the show, versus listening live and missing parts when I have a meeting or whatever. Granted I skip past most commercials, but oh well.

The Sirius app for smartphones has gotten better where you can listen to the last 6 hours or so. This still kinda blows because you can't really skip around very well. If you lose connection, then you've got to start from the beginning of the show or one of the few skip points Sirius puts in. If they made this app just a little better, I'd probably never download the show off usenet.

The thing I wanted to download the other day was Boardwalk Empire's last season. I've been paying for HBO the last 6 months or so. I even had the season on my DVR, but I wanted to delete it to free up some space. I'm going to cancel HBO for a while and I'll just have to watch the show off HBO GO when I subscribe to HBO in a couple months when True Blood comes back. I should just upgrade to the new DirecTV DVR with the bigger hard drive. Then I wouldn't have to worry about space.

I did the same thing for Dexter. I subscribed to Showtime while Dexter was airing, but got the show off usenet because I'm a couple seasons behind on the show. Showtime just recently added DirecTV to be eligible for their version of HBO GO. So, I could just use it in the future to watch this stuff. I could probably also rent the Blu-rays of the show off Netflix. Assuming it is on Netflix.

I do think it is wrong all the people that download Game of Thrones off the internet just because they refuse to pay for cable and/or HBO. The only reason these great shows get made is if people pay for them. So, I always pay for the premium channels when a show is on I like, even if I'm not going to watch until 9 months later off usenet downloads.

I also usenet stuff from the UK. For a long time I did it because there was no other way for me to get it in HD. BBCA is HD now on DirecTV, but I still do it for certain shows that I don't want to wait weeks for them to come to BBCA. The BBC is getting better with this though. I think that recent series Copper was broadcast in the US the same day as the UK. If they always did that, I'd never usenet a UK show.

Last edited by Hoffer : 01-04-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #772
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
essentially time shifting.
There is much defense from (as I mentioned) the Betamax time shifting decision and its descendants. Complicated. I give you folks a lot of latitude at that end, though the industry as a whole would not and they have equally if not more valid arguments.

I start from the other end. The sources you pirates are using include cams, screeners and other types of copies of movies in current release. Manufacture an excuse for supporting that, if you can. Other movies released direct to video.

TV shows on cable channels or premium cable channels downloaded by those who have not paid for those channels, is that time shifting?

But the bottom line is DMCA, which trumps fair use and all. Sure, DMCA was bought and paid for in bribes, but it is the law of the land. Virtually all the activity so explicitly described in this thread violates that law.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #773
NetJunkie

You sure do lump a lot of stuff together there. No one here is talking about screeners. We're in a forum about TV shows on a site dedicated to a popular DVR. As I said...I haven't "cut the cord" on my TV. I still pay for the channels...I just prefer to use my own interface and not that of TiVo or the cable DVR.

Others do as they do. Don't lump everything together. Not to mention, civil disobedience for laws people don't agree with and understand the consequences.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #774
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The issue raised was my quoting direct exchanges, and thus further propagating to authorities the illegal activities. Yeah, I'll do that. Name a specific and If I decide to respond to your post I may well include in my response, as a quote, that specific.
To what "authorities" are you forwarding these quotes (and this information,) and have they corresponded back with you?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #775
vertigo235

I haven't downloaded a cam, tc, ts, r5 or screener in years (when I was poor). We go to the movies and spend tons of money when the movie comes out now that I have money to do so. Prior to that, I just wouldn't have seen or supported the movies in any way because I couldn't afford to, so they didn't exactly lose anything. I honestly feel that they gained from me.

I only download now for convenience, everything I download is available fully legally with only more hassle to me so I probably wouldn't bother at all in that case. I have DirecTV with all premium channels, I pay for Netflix, I am an Amazon prime member. They all get their money from me.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #776
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I have DirecTV with all premium channels, I pay for Netflix, I am an Amazon prime member. They all get their money from me.
This is exactly me.

The people who bother me are the people that brag they are "cord cutters" and then download half the stuff they watch off bit torrent or usenet.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #777
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
This is exactly me.

The people who bother me are the people that brag they are "cord cutters" and then download half the stuff they watch off bit torrent or usenet.
This always gets me also. If you read reddit.com/r/cordcutters, it is all people cutting the cord and then asking how to get the shows for free. That isn't cordcutting imho.

Cordcutting is about quitting cable and getting all your content through Netflix, Amazon, Itunes, Hulu, etc not ditching and downloading.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #778
vertigo235

Heck a lot the stuff I download is freely available OTA, I wouldn't watch commercials either way.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #779
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
To what "authorities" are you forwarding these quotes (and this information,) and have they corresponded back with you?
No, no; no. No.
No.
The post I'm referring to said that by quoting I was further publicizing, basically. My answer is yes. By quoting. Here. I don't rat out anybody, but I will be glad to quote and thus increase the exposure.
Here.
Quote. Here. Forward? No. Here. Quote. Here.
Here.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #780
Malcontent

Quote:
No, no; no. No.

The post I'm referring to said that by quoting I was further publicizing, basically.
I was being sarcastic when I pointed it out. I couldn't care less what you quote.