TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #391
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Ive got to give it up to you for this one. This is a phenomenal site. It could use a little polishing but its very good and the direct push is a huge plus.
The site is only a few months old. The Admin is constantly updating the site with new requested features. The Admin uses the site daily himself and he keeps on top of things.

If you have any suggestions just post them on the DOGnzbd message forum, in the 'Feature Request' message area.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #392
vertigo235
Registered User
 
vertigo235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 12,991
I signed up for dognzb back when nzbs.org said they were shutting down. I now use it as my primary search provider for sickbeard. I havnt switched to the push service yet because I also use other providers to fill holes and sometimes dognzb doesn't pick up a show.

Btw today I discovered that couchpotato is no longer developed. The developer started a new project called couchpotato server.
__________________
vertigo235 xbox live and PSN ID = IamVertigo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #393
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
FYI,

The Frugalusenet $3.99 a month unlimited usenet deal has ended.

But Frugal now has lowered their everyday prices. Now it's $4.99 a month or $50 a year for unlimited usenet.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #394
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,173
Is there anyway in Sabnzb with 3 providers to order them?

I have frugal for all
Blocknews for any spillover retention
And whatever my other provider is that isn't astraweb
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #395
ewolfr
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,747
Go into the config->server settings and then tick "Backup" under any servers you want to be secondary.

Frugal and Blocknews are both resellers for Readnews. So ideally you would want another block account from a different source like Astraweb instead.
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #396
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
Go into the config->server settings and then tick "Backup" under any servers you want to be secondary.

Frugal and Blocknews are both resellers for Readnews. So ideally you would want another block account from a different source like Astraweb instead.
Yes, I have that exactly

But if it doesn't find it on frugal, anyway to make sure it checks blocknews FIRST before my astraweb one?

The blocknews price per gig is a LOT cheaper than my astraweb one.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #397
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
But if it doesn't find it on frugal, anyway to make sure it checks blocknews FIRST before my astraweb one?

The blocknews price per gig is a LOT cheaper than my astraweb one.
Unfortunately no. It's one of the most requested features. It's called server priority.

If the majority of your daily downloading is going to take place within Frugal's 300 day retention, it would be best to have Astraweb configured as your only backup since Frugal and Blocknews have the same completion.

For the times you plan to download over 300 days, you would disable Frugal and enable Blocknews as your primary. Set Astraweb as backup. Then switch back to the Frugal and Astraweb setup.

It's not ideal but it all can be done with a few mouse clicks under the server options in Sabnzbd. Hopefully the Sabnzbd developers will eventually add server priority.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #398
TheMerk
Always Bid First
 
TheMerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,097
Would this work?

Server #1: Frugal - Retention set to 300 days
Server #2: Blocknews - Retention set to 1200 days
Server #3: Whatever: Set as backup

Would SABNzbd be smart enough to not go to Frugal for any nzbs older than 300 days and just go straight to Blocknews? And then, if Blocknews didn't have it or had parts missing, or it was within 300 days but Frugal didn't have it or had parts missing, go to #3?
__________________
Adam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #399
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,173
Would this work?

Frugal on
Blocknews enabled set as backup
Astraweb NOT enabled set as backup.

Then if a file is missing a block or two, just turn on Astraweb and grab those few blocks, then turn back off?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #400
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Would this work?

Frugal on
Blocknews enabled set as backup
Astraweb NOT enabled set as backup.

Then if a file is missing a block or two, just turn on Astraweb and grab those few blocks, then turn back off?
Like I mentioned before, Frugal and Blocknews have the same completion (owned by the same people). If something is missing on Frugal it will be missing from Blocknews anyway.

Best practice is having a different usenet source as your backup server.

I would set up Frugal as primary and Astraweb as backup. This way if something is missing on Frugal it's more likely Astraweb will have it.

Set Frugal's retention to 300 in server setup and set as primary. Set up Astraweb as backup.

Also set up Blocknews as a primary server with it's current retention and don't enable it.

When you wish to download stuff over 300 days you would enable Blocknews and Sabnzbd will download your older stuff from the Blocknews servers. Astraweb will still be a backup. Afterward you would disable Blocknews again.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #401
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
Would this work?

Server #1: Frugal - Retention set to 300 days
Server #2: Blocknews - Retention set to 1200 days
Server #3: Whatever: Set as backup

Would SABNzbd be smart enough to not go to Frugal for any nzbs older than 300 days and just go straight to Blocknews? And then, if Blocknews didn't have it or had parts missing, or it was within 300 days but Frugal didn't have it or had parts missing, go to #3?
In this setup both Frugal and Blocknews servers would be used to download stuff. Sabnzbd isn't smart enough to only use Frugal for stuff under 300 days and only Blocknews for stuff older then 300 days.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #402
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,173
Since frugal is unlim and my other 2 are per gig

I think I'll JUST leave frugal on and only turn on the others if I have problems.

Is there really any reason to set the retention days Sabnzbd when configuring a service. I've just had them at 0 and it works fine.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #403
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post

Is there really any reason to set the retention days Sabnzbd when configuring a service. I've just had them at 0 and it works fine.
Only under certain circumstances. Like the one I suggested before. For what you now plan to do, it's not needed.

But I still recommend setting up Frugal as primary and Astraweb as backup. Only the missing parts would be don't loaded from Astraweb. It's not that much data (usually a few megs) and it doesn't happen often. It won't eat up your Astraweb account. A few gigs of backup can last very long time.

It will save you a lot of hassle.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #404
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 69,810
TC CLUB MEMBER
Hey, thanks Malcontent for all the great info in this thread. You're providing a great resource!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #405
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Since frugal is unlim and my other 2 are per gig
If your concerned about using up your paid blocks, you could sign up for a free usenet account from the Dutch provider called Xsusenet.

It has some serious restrictions.

It's limited to 1 megabit in speed and only 2 connections. Also, your limited to 25gigs every month. But if used only as a backup server, it would be more then enough. Remember, you only would be downloading the missing parts. They have 900 days retention.

http://xsusenet.com/
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #406
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Hey, thanks Malcontent for all the great info in this thread. You're providing a great resource!
Your welcome. More then happy to share my experience.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #407
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Only under certain circumstances. Like the one I suggested before. For what you now plan to do, it's not needed.

But I still recommend setting up Frugal as primary and Astraweb as backup. Only the missing parts would be don't loaded from Astraweb. It's not that much data (usually a few megs) and it doesn't happen often. It won't eat up your Astraweb account. A few gigs of backup can last very long time.

It will save you a lot of hassle.
How does it handle it if I load up a 500 day old file w/ frugal as primary and astra as backup?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #408
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
How does it handle it if I load up a 500 day old file w/ frugal as primary and astra as backup?
It will download from Astraweb. But if you set Astraweb retention to 300 days it won't.

It all depends on your downloading habits. If the majority of your daily downloads are under 300 days then Frugal/Astraweb setup would likely be the way to go. But if you download a lot of stuff over 300 days then Blocknews would be better as backup.

See my post #400. I explained how you can have things set up. Frugal/Astraweb for 300 day stuff. And manually enable Blocknews as a primary for stuff over 300 days.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #409
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
It will download from Astraweb. But if you set Astraweb retention to 300 days it won't.

It all depends on your downloading habits. If the majority of your daily downloads are under 300 days then Frugal/Astraweb setup would likely be the way to go. But if you download a lot of stuff over 300 days then Blocknews would be better as backup.

See my post #400. I explained how you can have things set up. Frugal/Astraweb for 300 day stuff. And manually enable Blocknews as a primary for stuff over 300 days.
Perfect!

Thanks
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #410
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,173
Couch Potato question

Does it not index every movie?
I couldn't find Ted for example.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #411
KungFuCow
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,341
It looks like the XXAA's have Usenet providers hot stepping to take stuff down. I know someone listed providers earlier that dont bow down to the copyright overlords... can someone tell me who those might be?
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #412
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
It looks like the XXAA's have Usenet providers hot stepping to take stuff down. I know someone listed providers earlier that dont bow down to the copyright overlords... can someone tell me who those might be?
Who is your current Usenet provider? Are you looking for another unlimited provider or usenet blocks?

Highwinds (and it's resellers) and Giganews are hit very hard by DMCA. Any usenet provider with a physical presence in North America (servers) is particularly vulnerable to DMCA.

Astraweb.com and Blocknews.net have been the go to providers to minimize (not totally eliminate) DMCA problems.

If your currently using a Highwinds provider or Giganews, you could try getting a small usenet block from Blocknews.net or Astraweb.com and use it as a backup server in your usenet client. Any missing parts (DMCA) will be downloaded from your backup usenet block account. A usenet block account can last a long time since only the few missing parts are downloaded from your backup block account. A 25 gig usenet block would be enough to last you a good while if only used as a backup server. It would cost $10 or less. It's a one off charge. Usenet blocks don't expire from non use.

Another option may to try a Dutch usenet provider without U.S. servers. Even that isn't an iron clad guarantee against DMCA.

Sunneyusenet is a Dutch provider which has been getting good word of mouth. Their prices are pretty cheap and they have 900 days retention. They offer unlimited usenet. You could try them for a month to see if you like them or not. Their prices are very reasonable. Their website is in Dutch but if you use Google Chrome browser, it will translate everything for you.

http://www.sunnyusenet.com/
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #413
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,782
I've been looking at getting a block account recently. A friend just pointed out that NewsgroupDirect is having another Terabyte Tuesday sale today... 1 TB for $40.
__________________
Miranda
laria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #414
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I've been looking at getting a block account recently. A friend just pointed out that NewsgroupDirect is having another Terabyte Tuesday sale today... 1 TB for $40.
They have the sale once a month. While the price is good, I wouldn't recommend them. They resell Highwinds usenet service. Highwinds completion isn't the best due to DMCA take downs.

For just $10 more, I would recommend Astraweb. They sell 1 terabyte for $50. Their completion is better then Highwinds. Astraweb is one of the very few independent usenet provider left. They own their own servers and are not resellers.

If your interested in smaller usenet blocks I would also recommend Blocknews.net. They offer more block options at different price points. Their customer service is great and their completion is one of the best.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #415
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
For just $10 more, I would recommend Astraweb. They sell 1 terabyte for $50. Their completion is better then Highwinds. Astraweb is one of the very few independent usenet provider left. They own their own servers and are not resellers.

If your interested in smaller usenet blocks I would also recommend Blocknews.net. They offer more block options at different price points. Their customer service is great and their completion is one of the best.
Ah, thanks... I hadn't gotten so far as to check the prices of blocks at other places.
__________________
Miranda
laria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #416
DUDE_NJX
Registered User
 
DUDE_NJX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,744
Can anyone recommend a non-US VPN service?
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #417
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Can anyone recommend a non-US VPN service?
Curious if you plan to use VPN with usenet? Or are you going to use VPN to do other stuff?

No real need to use VPN with usenet. You download over SSL and usenet providers don't log what content your downloading.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #418
DUDE_NJX
Registered User
 
DUDE_NJX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Curious if you plan to use VPN with usenet? Or are you going to use VPN to do other stuff?

No real need to use VPN with usenet. You download over SSL and usenet providers don't log what content your downloading.
No, not with usenet, but with other geographically restricted content.
My usenet provider already has EU and US servers for me to use.
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #419
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Can anyone recommend a non-US VPN service?
As Malcontent said, you don't really need a VPN for usenet, but if you're using one for other purposes, here's a decent article on Torrentfreak. It's almost a year old but the info is still useful.

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-pr...iously-111007/
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #420
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Can anyone recommend a non-US VPN service?
No personal experience just word of mouth. They keep no logs.

https://airvpn.org/

http://www.bolehvpn.net/
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |