TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #301
Bighouse
200 Club Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Pretty clear article for the history of usenet.

I remember when it was considered crass and rude to use the Internet for commercial use by many back in my usenet newsgroup days. That was, I believe, before there was a dotcom domain.

(Sheez I'm old AND ugly!!!)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #302
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post
Anybody use an iPad app for controlling SAB? I'm looking at myNZB but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I use nzbmatrix with SAB, so I'm looking for one that will work with those.

Thanks!
Another option that is not quite as sophisticated but dead simple and can be used from a smart phone, Ipad, computer, ect, with out the need of an installed APP:

While not exactly what your asking about but you can have Sabnzbd automatically download any files you 'bookmark' on Nzbmatrix. Not bookmarked in your browser but the bookmark option next to your desired file on Nzbmartix. As long as you can access the Nzbmatrix website and bookmark your desired files, Sabnzbd will automatically download those files from home.

In Sabnzbd configuration under 'Indexing Sites', enter your 'NzbMatrix Username' and 'NzbMatrix API key' (located in your Nzbmatrix account profile).

Now as long as Sabnzbd is running and has internet access, all the files you 'bookmark' on the Nzbmatrix website will automatically be download to your home computer.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #303
crowfan
The Dude abides

Cool - I did not realize that! I'll try that for a while and see how it goes. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #304
Malcontent

Quote:
Cool - I did not realize that! I'll try that for a while and see how it goes. Thanks!
Sorry, forgot that you have to enter a Nzbmatrix RSS feed in Sabnzbd to make the bookmark auto download to work. I was pulling the details from memory from things I've read on forums. A simple Google search should give you the help you need with it.

http://rss.nzbmatrix.com/
Old 04-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #305
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I decided to give EasyNews a try. They have a 20 Gig deal for ten bucks a month with a 10 Gig/14 day FREE TRIAL.

It's very easy to use obviously, but it didn't have the show I was looking for. Unfortunately, the only one they had was a month old...

I know this is available "out there" as I've seen Torrents for it. Does anyone know if EasyNews gives you ALL of the available videos or just a partial list? Am I missing something or is it simply "not available" on UseNet?

Last edited by bareyb : 04-21-2012 at 06:56 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #306
Ment

Can't believe Easynews is still in business with how simple setup it is to started on Usenet these days. Still outrageous prices I see. Bareyb, that particular show posts about 4 days after OTA so its not up yet.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #307
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Can't believe Easynews is still in business with how simple setup it is to started on Usenet these days. Still outrageous prices I see. Bareyb, that particular show posts about 4 days after OTA so its not up yet.
Yeah. I'll probably end up doing what most of you guys are doing, but I figured this would be a quick way for me to get an idea of what UseNet is all about. Plus they had a free trial. I get ten Gigs or 14 days free before I have to pay.

It sure as hell can't be much easier though, I will say that... All you do is plug in a search and the results come up with a Thumbnail and Link to the Video. You just right-click on the video and download it. Alternatively, if you click on the link it plays the video in your browser.

Question: How does the system you use differ from EasyNews? I assume you Search and Download. Does it compile all the bits together in one file for download too?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #308
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Question: How does the system you use differ from EasyNews? I assume you Search and Download. Does it compile all the bits together in one file for download too?
I use SabNZBd and then Newzbin for indexing. Once its setup its much the same: click on a link, downloads the .nzb, SabNZBd picks it up and few minutes later you have your file. If you find the setup more hassle for someone new to Usenet, you can subscribe to a Usenet provider like Newshosting which has a client/index tied to the Usenet service like Easynews but with better retention and no DL limits.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #309
Malcontent

Quote:

Here are some quick "how to usenet guides".

http://lifehacker.com/5601586/how-to...e-simple-steps

http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide
Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #310
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Im having an issue getting Sickbeard to post process my shows. All it does is move the whole directory to my destination directory. Even when I have subfolders for seasons set it, it doesnt work. Anyone got any ideas?
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #311
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Im having an issue getting Sickbeard to post process my shows. All it does is move the whole directory to my destination directory. Even when I have subfolders for seasons set it, it doesnt work. Anyone got any ideas?
Can you clarify the Bold part please?

This might help.

http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/wiki/PostProcessing
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #312
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Can you clarify the Bold part please?

This might help.

http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/wiki/PostProcessing
I already have mine set up like that. Lets say I download Free Public Domain TV Show Season 1 Episode 1. It comes in as Free.Public.Domain.Show.S01E01 into my /Downloads. I have my post processing folder as C:\Processed Shows. All that happens is it moves Free.Public.Domain.Show.S01E01 from \downloads to c:\process shows without actually processing it.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #313
MikeMar
Go Pats

Ahh so yeah I think I do that. So for me it downloads it to a desktop, then when complete it moves it over to my NAS in the right folder and season folder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #314
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Ahh so yeah I think I do that. So for me it downloads it to a desktop, then when complete it moves it over to my NAS in the right folder and season folder.
Yea.. I can only get the move to happen and not even into season folders. Im running the beta version of SAB.. maybe thats why. Im going to roll back and see if that helps.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #315
Malcontent

Quote:
Yea.. I can only get the move to happen and not even into season folders. Im running the beta version of SAB.. maybe thats why. Im going to roll back and see if that helps.
Also, go back and redo your Sabnzbd and Sickbeard integration setup. It could be that something isn't configured correctly.

Here is a simple guide. Just ignore the part about XBMC.

http://www.users.on.net/~dholmes66/sb_guide/
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #316
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Did you rename ‘autoProcessTV.cfg.sample’ to ‘autoProcessTV.cfg’ in the script folder? If you are running windows and you have extensions hidden then you may not realize that the .sample is there.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #317
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I decided to give EasyNews a try. They have a 20 Gig deal for ten bucks a month with a 10 Gig/14 day FREE TRIAL.

It's very easy to use obviously, but it didn't have the show I was looking for. Unfortunately, the only one they had was a month old...

I know this is available "out there" as I've seen Torrents for it. Does anyone know if EasyNews gives you ALL of the available videos or just a partial list? Am I missing something or is it simply "not available" on UseNet?
Well this is weird... I used Binsearch to search and it has both of the shows I'm looking for. They do NOT show up on EasyNews... Why is that?

Last edited by bareyb : 04-21-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #318
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
It seems as though EasyNews doesn't have all the files on their site. The cost of convenience I guess... I think I'm gonna venture out and look at the more standard options...

They have a Sabnzd+ that is supposedly compiled specifically for Mac. Is that the one to use?

Last edited by bareyb : 04-21-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #319
Ment

Quote:
Well this is weird... I used Binsearch to search and it has both of the shows I'm looking for. They do NOT show up on EasyNews... Why is that?
Easynews may not index less popular groups or perhaps you don't have a global search setup in your query? I'd just use Binsearch and import the nzb into Easynews in any case.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #320
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Easynews may not index less popular groups or perhaps you don't have a global search setup in your query? I'd just use Binsearch and import the nzb into Easynews in any case.
Oh. Cool. Didn't know I could do that. I'll have to give that a try when I get back. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #321
Malcontent

Quote:
It's because EasyNews has inferior indexing. As a result you will not find as much content as with the other dedicated indexing sites.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #322
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
u

Quote:
Quote:
Oh. Cool. Didn't know I could do that. I'll have to give that a try when I get back. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
It's because EasyNews has inferior indexing. As a result you will not find as much content as with the other dedicated indexing sites.
EasyNews doesn't seem to want to import the .nzb file... My queue keeps showing up empty...

Last edited by bareyb : 04-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #323
vertigo235

I still have easy news because I can use their web service to stream tv shows etc to my iPad when I travel.

Especially since the scene switched to .mp4 containers a month or 2 ago for sdtv shows.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #324
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Alright. I think I'm finally happy with my setup now.

Premium Usenet Provider: Blocknews.net
Usenet Client (Downloader App): Sabnzbd+
Usenet Search Engine: NZBmatrix

Last edited by bareyb : 04-21-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #325
crowfan
The Dude abides

I have the same setup. After some initial setup problems, I'm very happy with it.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #326
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Alright. I think I'm finally happy with my setup now.

Premium Usenet Provider: Blocknews.net
Usenet Client (Downloader App): Sabnzbd+
Usenet Search Engine: NZBmatrix
Quote:
I have the same setup. After some initial setup problems, I'm very happy with it.
Same here, except I'm holding off on a nzbmatrix to see if I need it since I have sick beard.

I'll wait til my first problem to get a backup everything

Just using for TV shows so it works for me.

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #327
crowfan
The Dude abides

I did something stupid the other day and I had to uninstall/reinstall SABnzbd. I had to set it up again from scratch.

I thought I did everything right, but I just downloaded a couple things and they were just downloaded as folders full of files. They were not put back together.

I don't remember having to set it up to do that last time. I thought it just did it by default. I looked at SAB and don't see any setting to turn that on. There are also no error messages related to it (I thought maybe it tried to put them together and failed, but there is no indication of that). Am I missing something simple?

Another issue I am having is, since I re-set it up, I keep getting this warning:

Saving /var/hda/web-apps/sabnzbdplus/html/admin/rss_data.sab failed

I am not actively trying to use RSS at the moment (Malcontent, I set up your suggestion before my issue/reinstall, but after it I just bought the myNZB app and didn't set up the RSS feed again). Any ideas what this is about? I googled for it and didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #328
Malcontent

Quote:
I thought I did everything right, but I just downloaded a couple things and they were just downloaded as folders full of files. They were not put back together.

I don't remember having to set it up to do that last time. I thought it just did it by default. I looked at SAB and don't see any setting to turn that on. There are also no error messages related to it (I thought maybe it tried to put them together and failed, but there is no indication of that). Am I missing something simple?
Double check your Sabnzbd settings under 'Switches', 'Post processing'. Every option box should be ticked.

Quote:

Another issue I am having is, since I re-set it up, I keep getting this warning:

I am not actively trying to use RSS at the moment (Malcontent, I set up your suggestion before my issue/reinstall, but after it I just bought the myNZB app and didn't set up the RSS feed again). Any ideas what this is about? I googled for it and didn't find anything helpful.
Double check to see if anything is still entered in the RSS section of Sabnzbd. I'm not at all familiar with how software is uninstalled on Macs. It's possible there is stuff that was left behind from your previous installation of Sabnzbd.

If all else fails uninstall again and makes sure all the Sabnzd folders are deleted from your Mac. Search for any left overs from Sabnzd and delete. Then try reinstalling Sabnzbd.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #329
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I did something stupid the other day and I had to uninstall/reinstall SABnzbd. I had to set it up again from scratch.

Thanks!
Probably a dumb question, but is it possible all the extra files you are seeing are just clean up files that aren't being automatically removed? You may have had all this set up before... Either way, I thought I'd post this because it's a nice feature. Basically removes most of the extraneous files that often come with downloads. I just copy and pasted in the following: .nfo, .sfv, .nzb and .srr. and now I just get the actual file I need.

Quote:
From Usenet Tutorial
Go to: Sabnzbd/Config/General. All the way at the bottom you'll see a setting called "Cleanup List" with a couple of file extensions filled in. Much of what you download will come with superfluous files and SAB will automatically delete them during processing if their extensions are specific here. My list is .nfo, .sfv, .nzb and .srr. As you find files in your downloads that you don't need, you can add their extensions here.

Last edited by bareyb : 04-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #330
crowfan
The Dude abides

@Malcontent - I already have all of those checked.

@bareyb - they are the actual files. There was no actual video file in there, just the pieces. I unrared them manually and got the actual video file. the cleanup list is actually one of the few things I remembered to set up the second time around.

Thanks for the thoughts though! I appreciate it.

I may have found the culprit - in the Categories screen, the one post-processing drop-down was set to Default. I changed it to +Delete. I think maybe that will do it, though I haven't had time to test it yet. I don't remember having to do that last time, but maybe I just forgot.

As for the RSS thing - this is on a Linux server, and I'm kinda learning Linux as I go . I'm gonna play around with it a bit more and maybe post over at the SABnzbd forums. I'm sure you're right though - it must have something to do with the uninstall/reinstall. I so wish I had never started messing with it.

I do have myNZB working though, and it's pretty cool.