Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #271
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post
I just deleted it so I'm not sure, but I think it was ~400d. I'm trying yet another that's about 257d. It's much faster.
I tried downloading a couple of random NZB'S around that age from Blocknews and didn't have any issues.

Try using SSL port 5563. Try switching to the European server. If no joy then test out non SSL ports 23, 2000, 880, 8080,9000 and see if anything changes.

Have you tried any other usenet clients besides Sabnzbd? I'm not familiar with any clients for Mac or Linux. Try to find another client and see if you get different results. Even if you have to use a free trial period.

You might consider shooting Blocknews support an email. They may be able to trouble shoot your problem. Their support is top notch. They answer emails on weekends.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #272
crowfan
The Dude abides

Holy crap.

I switched SSL ports and tried a newer file and bam, it's much faster. Downloaded a gig in a couple minutes. Before it was about a half hour per gig.

I'm going to keep playing around with the settings, but this is much better. I may still fire off a support email to check that everything is as it should be, but this is much better.

Thanks everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #273
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Grr...another one, this time a newer one, got all the way through then crapped out on repair. "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (1725 short)."

I'm gonna try out these tools linked above.
I was 1 block short on something the other day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #274
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Holy crap.

I switched SSL ports and tried a newer file and bam, it's much faster. Downloaded a gig in a couple minutes. Before it was about a half hour per gig.

I'm going to keep playing around with the settings, but this is much better. I may still fire off a support email to check that everything is as it should be, but this is much better.

Thanks everyone!

Enjoy! You'll be approaching your bandwidth cap in no time!

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #275
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Have any NZBMatrix users noticed issues in the last few days with CouchPotato and SickBeard failing to "snatch" files that you know are out there?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #276
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
Have any NZBMatrix users noticed issues in the last few days with CouchPotato and SickBeard failing to "snatch" files that you know are out there?
API / RSS Server Issues (Updated 3.April)

http://nzbmatrix.com/forums.php?acti...d=47459&page=1

Quote:
Fist off, apologies I have been away a few days (typical eh). Well straight to the point now.

Friday AM we had a ddos attack on the main webserver for the site. Two tables corrupted in this, I fixed and checked the site was running (all this a 7am, 20 mins before I had to leave! ). Well it turns out this corruption screwed up with our DB mirror scripts on the API and RSS servers.

Now my only server access was via my android phone (typical again) well ssh and ftp etc are not so easy on the move with a stupid touch screens etc.

I have located the api issue and have resolved this, I am now working on the RSS system.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #277
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Two other questions...

What software/processes are folks using to add metadata and convert for Apple TV? Handbrake is great for conversion, but doesn't do metadata. iFlicks is great for both but it's $20. I am now trying iVi which is $3 but requires a little more hand-holding to get the correct metadata.

I'm also curious if anyone has tried to run their own NZB tracker using Newznab (I think that's what it's called).

Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #278
ewolfr

Quote:
nabmatrix also keeps a separate site for server/service updates here:

http://nzbmatrix.info/
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #279
crowfan
The Dude abides

Quote:
What software/processes are folks using to add metadata and convert for Apple TV? Handbrake is great for conversion, but doesn't do metadata. iFlicks is great for both but it's $20. I am now trying iVi which is $3 but requires a little more hand-holding to get the correct metadata.
I jailbroke my AppleTV, and I use aTV Flash (black) on it. That takes care of the metadata for me. I just point it toward the folder where the file is stored, and it identifies the file and shows me the correct metadata onscreen. It also has a Plex client that you can install.

Speaking of Plex, does anyone use it with files from usenet? It's not playing the files I got from usenet, but the built-in Firecore media player plays them fine. I'd rather use Plex, but it's not working. Anyone seen this?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #280
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
I jailbroke my AppleTV, and I use aTV Flash (black) on it. That takes care of the metadata for me. I just point it toward the folder where the file is stored, and it identifies the file and shows me the correct metadata onscreen. It also has a Plex client that you can install.

Speaking of Plex, does anyone use it with files from usenet? It's not playing the files I got from usenet, but the built-in Firecore media player plays them fine. I'd rather use Plex, but it's not working. Anyone seen this?
I use Plex to stream to two Rokus (Roki?) an iPhone, and an iPad. No issues with (most) files from Usenet as long as it's set up to transcode.

Also looks like NZBMatrix is back in business. I woke up to a bunch of new content in my Usenet folder.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #281
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I have done this with Plex on the AppleTV, and haven't experienced any issues.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #282
crowfan
The Dude abides

It's strange. I can play the files (MKV and ISO) through Plex, and after about 2 minutes, I get the yellow exclamation point and it says there was an error reading the file (or something like that, not home at the moment to see). I can go out and then back in and it works for another two minutes, rinse, repeat, etc. Firecore's media player plays without a problem. I prefer Plex, though.

Maybe I'll just reboot the server and see if that helps. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #283
lodica1967

Quote:
I use Plex to stream to two Rokus (Roki?) an iPhone, and an iPad. No issues with (most) files from Usenet as long as it's set up to transcode.

Also looks like NZBMatrix is back in business. I woke up to a bunch of new content in my Usenet folder.
Can you explain how to stream to Roku? I bought one for MLB.tv but would love to use it for other things.

Can I stream .avi files from my computer or are you guys talking about something else? 90% of the last 10 posts were over my head!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #284
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodica1967 View Post
Can you explain how to stream to Roku? I bought one for MLB.tv but would love to use it for other things.

Can I stream .avi files from my computer or are you guys talking about something else? 90% of the last 10 posts were over my head!
It's been a lot of reading and learning for me or the posts would have been over my head, too.

One of the cool things about Plex is that it can transcode almost any media type so it's playable on whatever device you're using. Check out this post about Plex for Roku. You download it in the channel store and it'll find your Plex server.

If you don't have a Plex Server running yet, that's another story. Do you have a computer in your house that's always on? I'm not one of those folks with a dedicated media server (yet!), but I have a circa 2007 iMac that the kids use and it works just great as a Plex Media Server. It's super-simple to set up. You download it, install it, and then point it to whatever folder holds your media.

Let me know how much help you need and I'll share more.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #285
lodica1967

Quote:
It's been a lot of reading and learning for me or the posts would have been over my head, too.

One of the cool things about Plex is that it can transcode almost any media type so it's playable on whatever device you're using. Check out this post about Plex for Roku. You download it in the channel store and it'll find your Plex server.

If you don't have a Plex Server running yet, that's another story. Do you have a computer in your house that's always on? I'm not one of those folks with a dedicated media server (yet!), but I have a circa 2007 iMac that the kids use and it works just great as a Plex Media Server. It's super-simple to set up. You download it, install it, and then point it to whatever folder holds your media.

Let me know how much help you need and I'll share more.

Thanks for the link. I will read up on Plex and ask any questions that pop up.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #286
MikeMar
Go Pats

So I have SABnzbd and Sick Beard pretty setup. Got it downloading to my desktop then transfering to my NAS. The setup was awesome where you can have it scan you already downloaded shows and it marks them off as downloaded automatically.

I can't seem to get the cleanup to work though, the .nfo and others are still there. I added those to the cleanup list in SABnzbd but it didn't seem to work.

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #287
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
So I have SABnzbd and Sick Beard pretty setup. Got it downloading to my desktop then transfering to my NAS. The setup was awesome where you can have it scan you already downloaded shows and it marks them off as downloaded automatically.

I can't seem to get the cleanup to work though, the .nfo and others are still there. I added those to the cleanup list in SABnzbd but it didn't seem to work.
This is how I have my cleanup list set up and it's been working well:

.sfv, .nzb, .jpg , .nfo , .srr

Make sure there is a comma and a space between each extension.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #288
MikeMar
Go Pats

ahhhh a COMMA, thanks!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #289
MikeMar
Go Pats

In sick beard what search providers do you guys use? Right now it's just the Sick Beard Index

Rather no pay, and it does seem to be pretty good, figured it couldn't hurt to have a few setup.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #290
Malcontent

Quote:
In sick beard what search providers do you guys use? Right now it's just the Sick Beard Index

Rather no pay, and it does seem to be pretty good, figured it couldn't hurt to have a few setup.
Your most likely going to have to pay something to get a decent and reliable indexer to use with Sickbeard. Your going to want ones that allow you to download a lot of NZB's daily. The free ones usually have a daily NZB download limit.

You can do well with only Sickbeard Index. It doesn't have a NZB download limit that I know of. It uses an open sources auto indexer software. The same software is used by several other indexers, so there is little difference with those. I use 2 others in addition as backup. Every indexer has it's down time because of glitches. Nice to have at least one backup.

Nzbmatrix.com is a great indexer. For a one off $10 you get lifetime VIP. It uses custom indexing software. They sometimes get stuff that other auto indexers don't. Nzbmatrix has more of a human touch with it's NZB's. Users upload their own NZB's in addition to the auto indexer. It has active message forums.

The second backup I use is nzb.su

It uses the same software as Sickbeard Index. I got it because at the time they had a cheap lifetime subscription and it works very well with Sickbeard. But now they have a more structured subscription. But still pretty cheap.

I would recommend Nzbmatrix. It's a one off charge for lifetime and it will complement Sickbeard Index nicely. Between the 2 indexers, you shouldn't miss anything and you will have a nice backup.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #291
Gromit

Quote:

Have you considered installing SABnzbd and Sick Beard on the NAS itself? I was running them on my MacBook Pro but having it all run on the NAS is kind of nice.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #292
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Have you considered installing SABnzbd and Sick Beard on the NAS itself? I was running them on my MacBook Pro but having it all run on the NAS is kind of nice.
Hmmm how does that work? So I don't need my desktop on at all?

How do you install it on there, and would that make my NAS run all the time (right now it goes into a semi-sleep mode and is woken by a computer or Boxee trying to access it)

Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #293
MikeMar
Go Pats

Since I have a 200 gb blocknews account vs unlimited. When a download fails and I either retry w/ or w/o a supplemental source, does it download the whole thing again, or just the missing/failed blocks?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #294
DUDE_NJX

If you set it up as slave server, it would only dl the missing blocks.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #295
Malcontent

Quote:
Since I have a 200 gb blocknews account vs unlimited. When a download fails and I either retry w/ or w/o a supplemental source, does it download the whole thing again, or just the missing/failed blocks?
If you don't have a secondary account, then it will try to download the whole thing again. If you still have the files from the failed download, you could set up a backup server in Sabnzbd and have Sabnzbd retry and it will look for the missing parts on your backup server.

If the download fails then most likely it couldn't be repaired with the .par recovery files that was posted with the file. Without a secondary usenet account set up as a back up server then the missing parts couldn't be downloaded to repair the file. Even with a backup server it's still possible that the file couldn't be repaired. Sometimes it's just a bad/damaged usenet post by the uploader. Most the of the time though a good backup server will be able to save the day.

No single usenet provider is perfect. That's why it's good practice to have at least 1 backup usenet server that is different then your primary. You don't need a large usenet block for a backup server since only the missing parts are going to be downloaded.

Astraweb is a good choice as a backup server for Blocknews. They offer a one off $10 for 25 gigs. That 25 gigs should last a very very long time when used as only a backup. At least a year or more with Blocknews as your primary.

Stay away from Highwinds usenet and it's resellers as a backup. They have problems with DMCA take downs.

Make sure you have your backup server correctly configured as a BACKUP server in Sabnzbd. If not you can accidently blow through your backup usenet blocks quickly.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #296
MikeMar
Go Pats

Ok thanks, will look at setting up a backup or two

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #297
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar
Ok thanks, will look at setting up a backup or two
Also look into what provider your backup seller is getting its usenet from. No sense in having 2 backup servers if they both are just resellers of the same usenet provider.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #298
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
Also look into what provider your backup seller is getting its usenet from. No sense in having 2 backup servers if they both are just resellers of the same usenet provider.
Very true. That's why I recommended Astraweb as a backup for Blocknews. They are both supplied by different usenet sources. Blocknews resells 'Readnews' and Astraweb is independent and only sells their own usenet service. Both are generally considered to have the best completion of the major usenet suppliers.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #299
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Very true. That's why I recommended Astraweb as a backup for Blocknews. They are both supplied by different usenet sources. Blocknews resells 'Readnews' and Astraweb is independent and only sells their own usenet service. Both are generally considered to have the best completion of the major usenet suppliers.
SOLD!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #300
crowfan
The Dude abides

Anybody use an iPad app for controlling SAB? I'm looking at myNZB but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I use nzbmatrix with SAB, so I'm looking for one that will work with those.

Thanks!