TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
jkeegan

The Leftovers "Cairo" 8/17/2014

Half way through the episode I said "I love this episode!!!" again. After the end of it, it feels weird saying I *loved* it, but I did think that mid-way through. Great episode.

Loved watching the priest get to Liv Tyler's character.

So Jill finally asked Aimee if she was ****ing her Dad.. And we see mention of Jill having lost someone (apparently whomever she had been staying with - parent? grandparent?), first in the question about loss, and second in her having to find a place to stay.

Absolutely loved the confusion in Kevin's face as he woke up outside the cabin in the woods. I wonder how much time he has lost. Really liking Dean (dog-shooting guy).. and thought it was great that she pointed out that he has no history.. I said the word angel out loud before he got around to saying he liked to think of himself as a guardian angel.

I wonder if the fact that Nora kept the gun is supposed to be considered as hard evidence that Wayne is a fraud.. (they certainly telegraphed it through the twins explaining for the audience that if they find the gun, people CAN'T just be happy).

That's pretty ****ed up that they seem to have bought a whole bunch of those dolls of the loved ones, and that they're going to dress them up..

Did everyone else catch that Dean, when walking out of the cabin, was talking to someone we can't see, like Kevin's Dad does? They made it look like maybe he was talking to the woman, but he wasn't - the second part he says after the cut makes that clear.

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
jkeegan

Very glad it was renewed.

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
jkeegan

Oh, and when Kevin said (paraphrased) "So you know where they went then? You know what happened?", and she replied "IT DOESN'T MATTER", I paused and said out loud "That's DAMON saying that to us, through her... IT DOESN'T MATTER.."..

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
Jim_TV

I'm still entertained by this show but I do have to register my complaint once again that I dislike the "I just woke up from a blackout/amnesia and have no recollection of what happened to me in the last x hours" plot device. I hope that doesn't keep happening to Kevin's character and they move past that clunky trope.

I loved Nora rubbing it in Laurie's face that she had dinner with Jill, the daughter that Laurie abandoned. What a despicable woman Laurie is for abandoning her husband and two children. Nora's character is really sexy too and her attitude rocks on this show.

I hated the fact that Jill, Kevin's daughter went to that stupid cult house at the end of the episode. I despise that cult and everything they stand for and I want nothing but bad things to happen to them. Each week they act even more horribly. I hope the town turns on them and lynches them all.

I thought it was unrealistic that Kevin said that he didn't think about the departures when Patti asked him about that too. That seemed rather forced to me by the writers, specifically to put Kevin as a regular person in opposition to The Guilty Remnant's policy of not letting people forget. I mean think about it. How many of us in real life here would say they don't think about 9-11 anymore even 13 years later if we were asked?

And can someone please interview writer of the original novel and co-creator Tom Perrotta and find out if he smokes cigarettes and is in favor of stricter gun control in the U.S.? I usually don't see political messages in tv shows, but the heavy handed way that he shoehorns those cult members smoking non-stop along with that whole ridiculous segment about Nora's handgun is just so obvious. I really don't know why Nora couldn't tell Jill like a responsible gun owner, "Yes, I own a handgun, I have had one for years, I even have a concealed carry permit as NY State allows me and I sometimes go to the range and shoot it for practice. Why is that a problem for you?"
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
jkeegan

Whoa, I just thought: what if the Guilty Remnant are like the whiny viewers of Lost, wanting to remember every detail about the island instead of focusing on the characters' lives, and this is Damon Lindelof's way of getting revenge.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
RegBarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Whoa, I just thought: what if the Guilty Remnant are like the whiny viewers of Lost, wanting to remember every detail about the island instead of focusing on the characters' lives, and this is Damon Lindelof's way of getting revenge.
At the very least, though, the Leftovers is doing a good job of not giving any hints whatsoever as to what happened. With Lost, you had a lot of connections to the outside world so it was tough to let go of that and focus on the characters (which was the point). The Leftovers seems clearly focused on exactly the title of the show.
RegBarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
RegBarc

The show is getting better and better as each episode passes.

Even with Patti saying that she conspired to murder her own member of the GR doesn't fully convince me of that, considering how hard she was trying to get the chief to kill her himself. But it does make sense.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
hairyblue
A good Man

Good episode. I hated to see the cult leader die, because I thought the actress is very good. I don't know if I've ever seen her in anything else.

And Kevin did something to cause his wife to go to the GR. He was cheating on her--because of the "dirty" comment from the Cult leader.

Kevin's Jekyll and Hyde would be very alarming to me. I'd have gone to see some one before now. I'd hate not knowing what I was doing half the time. And It seems like Kevin has a very dark side.

So the cult leader died to be a martyr? How is Kevin going to explain this?

Was that the dolls the GR was unloading? I wasn't sure what it was.

I think all the GR smoke. It's like part of their religion/belief.

Finding the handgun proved to the daughter that there was no hope of feeling better. But, Just because she kept the handgun, doesn't mean she is not better. She is not carrying it around any more so she must not be thinking of killing herself.

I don't know if the girl was kidding about having sex with Kevin or not. Sounds like she was kidding, but with his blackouts and the strange things he does in them...

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
Jim_TV

A husband who cheated on his wife might be an excuse for her to leave him and get a divorce. I don't see how that creates a compulsion to join a cult and start smoking cigarettes, other than that's how the writers set it up.

I find it even stranger that his daughter Jill went to the cult house. How fun is that going to be for a moody teenage girl? There are a lot of people who own guns in Westchester County, New York where this show is set (914 area code). Why does the fact that Nora owns a gun tell Jill anything about the fate of the world?

And yes, those were human replica dolls the GR unloaded that were made to resemble the townspeople that departed based on those family photos the GR stole when they broke and entered people's homes a few episodes ago. I have no doubt that they are soon to be dressed in the clothing that was laid out on the floor of the church and dropped off at the homes of the departed to traumatize their loved ones. I hope a lynch mob gets started up and they get hanged from every tree in town.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
hairyblue
A good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
A husband who cheated on his wife might be an excuse for her to leave him and get a divorce. I don't see how that creates a compulsion to join a cult and start smoking cigarettes, other than that's how the writers set it up.
I don't know either, but I'm sure it did some how. The whole part where Patti and Kevin talking and Patti saying that his wife told her everything and Patti told her everything. Kevin looked like Patti know his dark shameful secret. I guess we'll find out together.

Quote:
I find it even stranger that his daughter Jill went to the cult house. How fun is that going to be for a moody teenage girl? There are a lot of people who own guns in Westchester County, New York where this show is set (914 area code). Why does the fact that Nora owns a gun tell Jill anything about the fate of the world?
I got the impression that Nora wanted to kill herself because of a guilt she felt. Didn't Nora tell Kevin when they first met, that she had an affair too? Still having the gun, I took it to mean that she still has the thoughts of killing herself.

Quote:
And yes, those were human replica dolls the GR unloaded that were made to resemble the townspeople that departed based on those family photos the GR stole when they broke and entered people's homes a few episodes ago. I have no doubt that they are soon to be dressed in the clothing that was laid out on the floor of the church and dropped off at the homes of the departed to traumatize their loved ones. I hope a lynch mob gets started up and they get hanged from every tree in town.
I bet you are right. That is the reason why they took the pictures. And they must have a lot of information about people in that book with the letters "MD" on it.

I'm not sure if they will return the dolls back to the family. They may set them up somewhere doing something. I'm not sure. I guess we'll find out soon.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
jkeegan

We saw her actually using the gun - remember how she had a prostitute come over and shoot her in the chest while she wore a Kevlar vest? I'm not 100% sure that it means she's suicidal though.

I went back and rewatched most of the pilot. There's a scene in a bar where Kevin is talking to that first woman that we ever saw lose someone (her baby) on Oct 14. She asks him where he was when it happened. We had a super-brief harsh cut to him having sex with some woman (he was on top), and I think we're supposed to understand that she disappeared right there during sex. She'd earlier asked him if he lost someone and he said yes - not sure if he was referring to his mistress or losing his wife to the GR.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
pmyers

Quote:
I'm still entertained by this show but I do have to register my complaint once again that I dislike the "I just woke up from a blackout/amnesia and have no recollection of what happened to me in the last x hours" plot device. I hope that doesn't keep happening to Kevin's character and they move past that clunky trope.
I agree. I absolutely hate this method of story telling.

Wasn't it the daughter's friend who ended up at the cult house? I don't believe that was his daughter but I've seen it mentioned a couple of times in this thread.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Wasn't it the daughter's friend who ended up at the cult house? I don't believe that was his daughter but I've seen it mentioned a couple of times in this thread.
No, it was the Kevin's daughter.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
Ment

No it was the daughter who ended up at the cult house. Her friend ditched her after the argument to stay with other friends(the twins?). Daughter couldn't come to grips that the world and specifically her father was feeling 'okay' and the GR is all about not forgetting so up she pops up with her mother.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

I think it was hilarious how Liv Tyler was complaining about the stalking that Pastor Who was doing of the GR members when the GR members were pretty much doing the same thing to everyone else, and worse.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
RegBarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I think it was hilarious how Liv Tyler was complaining about the stalking that Pastor Who was doing of the GR members when the GR members were pretty much doing the same thing to everyone else, and worse.
I think she's got a lot more issues that need to be worked out. She's beyond the help of the GR, I reckon.

BTW, Matt is my favorite character. "I say f*ck, too." And the twins provide some comic relief, like Herc and Carver in the Wire.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

"Twins"?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"Twins"?
The two high school boys who hang out with the Chief's daughter and Lolita. The actors (and the characters) are identical twins.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
RegBarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"Twins"?
The two boys who have been hanging around with the Chief's daughter and her friend. Tweedledee and Tweedledumb.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
busyba
The Funcooker

Also interesting was the revelation that the stoning of Gladys was a false-flag operation that Gladys willingly participated in. I actually saw an article online about a week ago where the author had predicted that this was the case, supported with things he picked up in the episode.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
pmyers

Whoa...did I mess that last scene up. I thought it was the daughter's friend who showed up, not the daughter! That makes that scene even more intense....

btw...you don't have to be unhappy to own/carry a gun!
Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Also interesting was the revelation that the stoning of Gladys was a false-flag operation that Gladys willingly participated in.
Yes I did not suspect that at all.

Does anyone else think that when Patti held up the "Ready?" note to Amy Brenneman that she already knew she was going to die? - and I am assuming that Amy is taking over as the cult leader...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #23
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
...Did everyone else catch that Dean, when walking out of the cabin, was talking to someone we can't see, like Kevin's Dad does? They made it look like maybe he was talking to the woman, but he wasn't - the second part he says after the cut makes that clear.
Yes, I made a comment to my wife that he sounded like Kevin's dad
Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #24
stellie93

Did anyone make heads or tails out of what Patti said to him? I liked when he stared at her and then said,"now I know why you don't talk."

When the daughter's friend left I was expecting her to say that she never slept with him--but she didn't...
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
walkerism
The Clean Up Man

HEAR the Shadowy Horses, their long manes a-shake,
Their hoofs heavy with tumult, their eyes glimmering white;
The North unfolds above them clinging, creeping night,
The East her hidden joy before the morning break,
The West weeps in pale dew and sighs passing away,
The South is pouring down roses of crimson fire:

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay:
Beloved, let your eyes half close, and your heart beat
Over my heart, and your hair fall over my breast,
Drowning love’s lonely hour in deep twilight of rest,
And hiding their tossing manes and their tumultuous feet.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #26
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Did anyone make heads or tails out of what Patti said to him? I liked when he stared at her and then said,"now I know why you don't talk."

When the daughter's friend left I was expecting her to say that she never slept with him--but she didn't...
She was saying good-bye. The Yeats poem was for a deceased loved one but AFAIK Patti no longer loves anyone so in that sense the poem doesn't make sense to recite.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #27
GoPackGo

Justin Theroux wrote the screenplays to Iron Man 2 and Tropic Thunder?!?
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #28
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post

I bet you are right. That is the reason why they took the pictures. And they must have a lot of information about people in that book with the letters "MD" on it.

I'm not sure if they will return the dolls back to the family. They may set them up somewhere doing something. I'm not sure. I guess we'll find out soon.
I think MD is for "Memorial Day", and they are planning to disrupt the Memorial Day remembrances with the dolls, dressed up in the clothes they stole from the families. There were a few flyers for the upcoming Memorial Day festivities posted around town in this episode.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #29
pmyers

I'm afraid of what I would do if I was in the Survivor's position, knowing that these people broke into my house and stole things and then are standing out front writing down when I come and go....
Old 08-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #30
davezatz
Funkadelic

It's been tough to keep watching, but I'm still in. How many episodes are there?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote