TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
realityboy

Utopia-live feeds

So the live feeds for Utopia started on Friday. Anyone watching? 2 feeds are free and apparently censored. $5 a month for premium gets the other 2 feeds.

I haven't watched much yet since I'm still watching BB. I'm concerned that after the initial excitement, it might get boring. I like the game aspect of BB more than the watching strangers aspect.

So far, they have had 1 guy almost kicked off for fighting. Josh?
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

If i understand correctly, this is supposed to last a year? Will there be a corresponding weekly television broadcast that entire time?
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
If i understand correctly, this is supposed to last a year? Will there be a corresponding weekly television broadcast that entire time?
Unless Fox cancels it.

It looks like it's 3 times per week.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Bob Coxner

This is about as blatant a ripoff as you'll ever see. It's Castaway 2000 all over again, with the only difference being live feeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castaway_2000

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...e-reunite.html

Castaway 2000 is a successful British television show that, because it was aired in the same year that Survivor first aired in the United States and Big Brother first aired in Great Britain, is often regarded as a reality show. The show follows a year-long effort by thirty-six men, women and children from the British public to build a community on Taransay, a remote Scottish island in the Outer Hebrides.
Billed as a bold experiment for the new millennium, the castaways were to build a sustainable self-sufficient community from scratch (apart from some buildings which were already there, and some which had been placed there for them). They were to grow their own vegetables, kill their own meat and become a community for the year. Candidates for the programme were selected and trained by survival expert John "Lofty" Wiseman to represent a cross-section of British society.

I remember watching and enjoying the series.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
realityboy

So it's like they took the basic premise for this show from the Dutch version and then filled the cast with train wrecks.

So Dave & Red started their own state separate from the others. And now, Dave just quit. There are already 2 prospective pioneers there to replace the girl kicked off before filming started so I guess they both stay?

Amanda seems to be the most normal, but there's definitely something wrong with her if she plans on giving birth in Utopia. She was 7 months pregnant at the start.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
realityboy

If anyone wants to catch up once the show starts tomorrow, Utopiamadness.com seems to have pretty good recaps and links to videos.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

So No Nudity?? What is the sense of watching then? 8-) At least the British version was unedited.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

One year three times a week plus live feeds? It sounds interesting, but seems like a huge investment, especially with fall shows and football. I'll probably skip it for now to see how it goes.

I'll follow this thread if it's active.

Survivor and BB Australia are about to start. No live feeds, but between BBCAN and BBUS I can use the break.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
So No Nudity?? What is the sense of watching then? 8-) At least the British version was unedited.
I've read that the free feeds are censored but the paid ones are not.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I've read that the free feeds are censored but the paid ones are not.
They've been inconsistent. I think the latest is that nudity below the waist is blurred on all feeds. Above the waist is ok, but the preacher is a bigger obstacle to the nudity than the producers. If you want more, he has to go.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
Silverman

Gulfer, boy am I with you. I have never followed why they have no such shows on cable with all the nudity and if popular enough, have a broadcast summary episode on regular TV then.

Also, why don't DVD's of such shows feature no censoring as a way to make more sales? A lot of dumb businessmen. As for the preacher, always wanted to ask such a person just whos idea all this modesty and dress was? The answer is clear right at the front of the bible yet always ignored. I believe in the bible and in the nudity that was always intended and he made sure we knew about. It is quite clear who wanted to cover up and it wasn't the good guy.
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Azlen

Their advertising is taking advantage of the nudity.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
Silverman

Wow, best ad ever for a TV show. Season Pass Set!! And here I thought they'd show them building huts and dull stuff..... Somebody making the show knows what to show, now to just see if it delivers. Why not on cable where no issues to battle??
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #14
Worf

I dunno. I mean, it sounds like a cool experiment, but if it's for TV, I don't see how it can survive. After all, if everyone suddenly gets together and works towards making their little place successful, it becomes a very boring show after it's all said and done.

So if it works and they find utopia, then the show pretty much becomes boring and dead. If they don't and they end up fighting all the time, it makes for good drama and ratings, but a failed experiment. And even if they find a way to live in harmony, the producers will find a way to disturb it just to bring the people back.

I give it a few weeks - either they find a way to get along (difficult because I'm sure those people were chosen intionally to be type A personalities and to conflict on every level), or it devolves into a huge shouting match. Somehow, I see devolving happening, and it being over in a few months when it becomes a dystopia of little fiefdoms where the only way to do anything is to fight. (Which is, of course, good TV)

Then again, I suppose it's rigged up to devolve in a few months because it's good for TV, and really, few have the resolve to actually want to sit through and watch it for the entire run.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Bob Coxner

It looks to me that they scraped the very bottom of the gene pool to find participants.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
One year three times a week plus live feeds? It sounds interesting, but seems like a huge investment, especially with fall shows and football.
Only two shows a week - Tuesdays and Fridays. This Sunday was just a one-time thing to get people interested, presumably by having it right after Fox's first national NFL broadcast of the season (except that the last game ended at 7:30 Eastern, so you had to sit through 30 minutes of football highlights before it started, and any football fans would have switched to NBC for the Colts-Broncos game).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Only two shows a week - Tuesdays and Fridays. This Sunday was just a one-time thing to get people interested, presumably by having it right after Fox's first national NFL broadcast of the season (except that the last game ended at 7:30 Eastern, so you had to sit through 30 minutes of football highlights before it started, and any football fans would have switched to NBC for the Colts-Broncos game).
Forget the football highlights - we had to sit through Tony Romo passing the ball to the 49ers defense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #18
realityboy

Ok, I'm sure by now. Everyone know that this show is almost unwatchable. It's a random collection of clips of scantily clad people & fights. I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's barely a show.

The feeds however are entertaining. I know that they can't last without the show which is a shame, but I plan to watch the free version until this is cancelled. I'm guessing around the World Series.

The main plot line on the feeds now is about Aaron and Kristen stealing money. Since Aaron does the ordering, he's been cooking the books and keeping money & food for himself. The group is sort of catching on, but not really. Everyone respects Mike, and he knows the truth but is covering for Aaron. Fans have been trying to clue them in. One guy called the phone number after it was said on the feeds and was able to tell Red before being cutoff by production. Today's yoga student is a poster on Joker's, and she told Amanda not to trust Aaron as she was leaving.

Also, Bella is awesome. Yes, she's high strung and basically Laura Dern's character from Enlightened, but she's one of the nicest people there. The others plot against her to the point that they want to bully her so that she leaves voluntarily.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

just found this thread, and wanted to ask if anyone else noticed they're down to one night a week, on friday?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
thalador

I saw the one night a week thing tonight. Disappointed actually
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #21
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

me, too. with dave and red both gone, i'm expecting calmer waters in utopia.

i liked red, but he and dave were always arguing with someone...like was said on tonight's show, it was contageous, and would lead to arguing among others.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
realityboy

They were always scheduled to go one night a week after October. It was supposed to be Tuesday, though with the low ratings, it started earlier & was switched to Friday.

I'm not too upset about Red leaving. He pretty much volunteered to go home. In fact, he caused the vote to be moved up a day. He was threatening to leave, and the producers wanted a vote off rather than just another person leaving.

Of the ones left, there are only a few that I would miss. Nikki, Amanda, Josh, Bella, & Ernesto. I could care less about the others.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #23
robojerk

I was upset about Red succeeding from the group after they voted for his family to be the visitors for the month.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #24
realityboy

Idk. Red seceding for a 2nd time was pointless. I think he was already set on going home at that point, plus that's when he stepped up to take care of the barn so he wasn't really separate.

The latest happening on the feeds is Operation Rattle Nikki. The main group that ostracized Red and wanted to bully Bella until she broke down and quit have now set their eyes on Nikki. They want to rattle her to the point that she leaves voluntarily. The EP said today on twitter that the TV audience would not be interested in this storyline so it won't be shown. Mike, Aaron, Kristin, Taylor, Bri, & Chris are the main instigators in this case. Also, Dedeker just goes along with whatever Mike says.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #25
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
They were always scheduled to go one night a week after October. It was supposed to be Tuesday, though with the low ratings, it started earlier & was switched to Friday.
the friday night time slot will be the final nail, the only other show they beat was on cw.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #26
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
the friday night time slot will be the final nail, the only other show they beat was on cw.
It should've stopped airing weeks ago. The Friday time slot is keeping it on life support temporarily.

So instead of the stealing or bullying storylines that have captivated the live feeders, the show is going with a wedding. (Rob's girlfriend came to visit, and they're going to get the pastor to come back to marry them.)
Old 10-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #27
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
So instead of the stealing or bullying storylines that have captivated the live feeders, the show is going with a wedding. (Rob's girlfriend came to visit, and they're going to get the pastor to come back to marry them.)
of course they are...production probably received negative feedback the first episodes were all fighting, so, right away, rather than shift to other more interesting events, they decided to focus on a good news story no one really cares about. perfect logic from their point of view, i'm sure.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #28
Worf

So, reading these threads and seeing the ratings plummet... I wonder - what kind of utopia is being built? Because it doesn't seem like what I'd call a utopia if people are still fighting and bullying each other.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

they've changed voting to online selection of the three noms...each voter chooses one, top three go on the block. polls close tomorrow night:

http://www.utopiatv.com/#/news/detail/1851/the-new-voting-process-explained

no show tomorrow night due to mlb, next show halloween eve.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #30
realityboy

With no episode this week, the new voting rules look to be appeasing the feed watchers. If that's the case, feed watchers seem to mostly want Rob, Aaron, or Mike to go. There's a real chance that with each person only getting 1 vote & the vote splitting that Bella may go up and out. It's still an improvement though as after Bella, (assuming the show is still on the air & using the same voting rules next time) the choices to go would be more appealing.