Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The Walking Dead "Coda" 11/30/14 | Talking Dead 11/30/14 No preview spoilers

OMG! I didn't see that coming.
I knew something would happen because she had the scissors, but that is not what I was expecting.

And if you stopped watching before the previews of 5b, you missed the extra scene with Morgan.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

That kinda hurt!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I went on FB soon after it aired and the show posted the spoiler with no consideration for the west coast. How Thoughtless!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fb_rip.jpg (55.1 KB, 637 views)
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
kdmorse

Oh look, everything's going so well, we could round out a season to the break with a happy ending.....

whoops
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Beryl

Having lived on the west coast for a long time, I would be peeved about that FB post.

I didn't care for Beth's character but I am sorry she is gone. I was hoping to see her and Noah together and since I also have a sister, I am broken up for Maggie.

The actress was sweet on TD.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
JohnB1000

Sadly, mostly through my own fault, Beth's demise was spoiled in the show thread last week.

Other than that a great episode, the scene where they exited the hospital was heart wrenching.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #7
john4200

What did Beth figure out before she died?

My guess is that Beth thought Dawn wanted her "ward" to kill her, as she had killed her mentor. Not that I think Beth is right about that. Both Dawn and Beth seemed pretty far gone, so I don't think either one was thinking clearly most of the time.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

That was definitely sad. I didn't really get the entire exchange though: what's the point of Beth going after Dawn with the scissors? What did she think she would accomplish? And why does Dawn have her gun pointed up at Beth's chin like that, between their bodies? I thought they had all put away or at least lowered their weapons. Dawn seemed to say she didn't mean to shoot, like she jerked the trigger when she got stabbed. And why doesn't Dawn react after she shoots Beth, but just lets Daryl walk up and shoot her in the head? Seems like she would do something; she has her own weapon ready to go.

Man oh man, Gabriel is just about the most useless person I think the group has come across since the show started. I mean Eugene is useless but at least he knows it and has some self-preservation instinct, so you can count on him to be getting out of the way of trouble, if not to help anyone else get out of it. But Gabriel is just dangerous. I couldn't understand what he was doing when he was holding the door while they escaped through the floor. I mean, if he was willing to sacrifice himself to keep the baby safe why did he pound on the door to be let in in the first place?

I agree with Keegan from TD: Gabriel deserves the Rick Grimes "one strike" rule... and he should definitely be out.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
wprager

She figured out that Dawn was a master manipulator. She was doing everything for selfish reasons.

One thing they never revealed was how Beth came to be there. The "story" was that they rescue her, but we know she was kidnapped. Maybe Can didn't know about that but I kinda doubt it.

P.S. I was spoiler on Twitter by someone I used to follow when he tweeted that FB picture. I mostly follow hockey do didn't expect to see this spoiler. Not usually a spoilerphobe, but this guy posts the picture in his tweet where he's slamming AMC for posting it. Could have easily alluded to it without spoiling it.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
And if you stopped watching before the previews of 5b, you missed the extra scene with Morgan.
Did they just start these after-credit scenes? This is at least the second time that they have had a Morgan scene after the credits rolled...

I watched the first four seasons on Netflix and never waited for after the credits, so I am wondering if I missed some content along the way...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
Did they just start these after-credit scenes? This is at least the second time that they have had a Morgan scene after the credits rolled...

I watched the first four seasons on Netflix and never waited for after the credits, so I am wondering if I missed some content along the way...
Nope. You didn't miss anything. They did a short one after the credits of S5E1 and then this longer one after S5E8, but those are the only two they've ever done.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I thought the pacing on this episode was really erratic. I was expecting the prisoner exchange battle to be the majority of the episode, so when they kept having these slow moments and heartfelt talks, I just kept looking at the clock and wondering when they were going to get to the good stuff. Then when they finally did get to the hostage exchange, it was very rushed. Not an episode worthy of losing one of the gang.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #13
ej42137

Well, the most important reveal for this episode -- the blaze in front of the church does indeed have a tail!

I don't see why anyone avoids the WD previews, they never reveal anything. (Unlike some shows I could mention.) I wonder just how long it's going to take Morgan to catch up with Rick & co.?
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

That's the Rick I love!!
You get one chance- "Stop!"
CRASH. Headshot.
"Shut up."

Tyrese is not only useless but a liar, too.
So now even those few tasks like babysitting that we thought he could be trusted to handle are off the table because he can't even tell the damn truth about whether a threat is dead or not.

I was spoiled as to the death and found it anti climactic and lackluster.
Which kind of describes the entire half season as IMO the writing has been especially terrible this year. The entire hospital arc was ill conceived and suffered from even worse execution.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

One nit to pick....you do NOT shut off diesel engines when you know you're gonna use the vehicle relatively soon; you let them idle. They're much harder to start than a gasoline engine (at least they used to be; I drove one for work many years ago).

And, yes, the scene with Maggie breaking down was much more moving than Beth getting shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
That's the Rick I love!!
You get one chance- "Stop!"
CRASH. Headshot.
"Shut up..."
THIS!

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #16
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I thought the Termites did a heck of a lot of eating for Bob's leg to be pretty much still whole when the Preacher saw it at the school.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #17
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Not a terrible episode or half season, but not great either. The season started out with terminus's demise, a pretty good arc for the show. The whole hospital arc seemed poorly fleshed out in comparison. I was left with the feeling like I was supposed to get a lot more out of Beth and Dawns interaction and the other people in Atlanta, but missed it. The hospital situation never felt remotely realistic to me though based on previous locations like the prison and even terminus, it could have. It's almost like the budget went over on terminus and they decided to make it all up on the hospital. Beth's demise was supposed to shock, but felt muted because of that lack of plot development.

OTH, the priest may be the dumbest character introduced yet. Sneak out of church, bring zombies back to church, let zombies into church, make everyone have to sneak out of church? It will be good to see him eaten.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
Vendikarr

Below are comic spoilers about Gabriel. They may not apply to the show, but proceed at your own risk.

Spoiler:
In the comics Gabriel accompanies Rick's group, and they later find a safe haven. After arriving, Gabriel sets up a new church and then tells the people of the safe haven that Rick and his people are bad people and are dangerous, and should be kicked out. Talk about gratitude.

Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
mwhip
All better

Only thing that seemed odd is with everything they know why would Beth stab her in the shoulder and not the eye or temple?

I did read an interview with the actress who played Beth after it was over and she seemed kind of bitter about it. Which I kind of get because Beth was a set piece at first but grew a lot this last season seemed they could have explored a lot more with her character.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I did read an interview with the actress who played Beth after it was over and she seemed kind of bitter about it. Which I kind of get because Beth was a set piece at first but grew a lot this last season seemed they could have explored a lot more with her character.
And I suspect also because she didn't find out until they handed her the script. That seems like kind of a dick move, frankly..."You're fired. Now go out there and do a good job."
Old 12-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And I suspect also because she didn't find out until they handed her the script. That seems like kind of a dick move, frankly..."You're fired. Now go out there and do a good job."
She said on TTD that she found out last season.
At least I think I heard this is my sleep...
Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #22
mwhip
All better

Quote:
I think I heard this is my sleep...
Oh she did show up on TTD? I watched the first ten minutes and she was not there.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Oh she did show up on TTD? I watched the first ten minutes and she was not there.
Yes, and she kept breaking down in tears. Obviously, she wasn't ready to leave the show.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
That's most assuredly not what she told Ausiello!

http://tvline.com/2014/11/30/the-wal...ney-interview/
Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
I thought she said she had found out during the shooting of the episode prior.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #26
dslunceford

No, she definitely mentioned finding out the season prior, because she was juxtapositioning having to take care of personal stuff (moving, subleasing Atlanta apartment, etc) with having to still deliver moving performances on the show.

That doesn't mean she didn't just misspeak. She was a mess on TTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I wonder just how long it's going to take Morgan to catch up with Rick & co.?
Well given that he's been tracking their movements on foot but they all left the church in vehicles, it's going to be pretty tough for him to keep tracking them. Not to mention that Morgan found the map that says they're going to DC, which is no longer true.

I'm sure Morgan will find them, otherwise there would be no point in showing those scenes, but it's not going to be from tracking them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I thought the Termites did a heck of a lot of eating for Bob's leg to be pretty much still whole when the Preacher saw it at the school.
They cut off Bob's leg pretty high on the femur. What we saw on the grill was only from the knee down. So they ate all of the thigh meat, which is where most of the meat is anyway.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
They cut off Bob's leg pretty high on the femur. What we saw on the grill was only from the knee down. So they ate all of the thigh meat, which is where most of the meat is anyway.
It's a bit troubling that you're so conversant in the consumption of human meat...
Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It's a bit troubling that you're so conversant in the consumption of human meat...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #30
MikeMar
Go Pats

So thoughts on how many (if any) of the hospital people are going to join Rick and the gang?

At this point Rick and that group still thinks they are going to Washington, so obviously that's why he's not concerned about staying there at all.

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote