Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
HBO: Game of Thrones IS going at least eight seasons

The two Game of Thrones showrunners, David Benioff and Dan Weiss, have said for quite a while they envision GoT running seven seasons. They even made comments like (paraphrased) "all shows get tired after a while, and it's best to end sooner than later. And we think seven is the right number".

Now HBO has come out and said, "Game of Thrones will go eight, or even more."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/30...-eight-seasons

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/...-seasons-total

And more links online.

I notice all the quotes are from HBO. Nowhere do they have anything from David or Dan. I wonder if they are on board with this, or if they were told, "We're doing eight or more. Do you want to do it with us?"

HBO owns the rights, not the showrunners.

Quote:
Game of Thrones won’t end with seven seasons.

Even though Thrones showrunners have repeatedly declared they hope to conclude the fantasy hit around the 70-hour mark, HBO programming president Michael Lombardo for the first time firmly proclaimed the series will go at least eight seasons.

“Seven-seasons-and-out has never been the [internal] conversation,” Lombardo said to critics at the Television Critics Association’s press tour Thursday when a reporter asked if the show would end after seven. “The question is: How much beyond seven are we going to do? Obviously we’re shooting six now, hopefully discussing seven. [Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are] feel like there’s two more years after six. I would always love for them to change their minds, but that’s what we’re looking at right now.”

Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
stellie93

They could have gone slower at first and included a lot more stuff from the books, but it's kind of late now. The end has to be coming soon.

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
They could have gone slower at first and included a lot more stuff from the books, but it's kind of late now. The end has to be coming soon.
Of course, Martin could end up at ten books (and then he dies at 96 of natural causes with the series incomplete, and somebody else has to finish it off with books 11 & 12)...

Old 08-01-2015, 01:06 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
There are still what, 2-3 unfinished books planned? Should be plenty to get 3 more seasons out of. Heck if tney can split The Hobbit into 3 movies they can figure out how to drag this out for 3 more sasons.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There are still what, 2-3 unfinished books planned? Should be plenty to get 3 more seasons out of. Heck if they can split The Hobbit into 3 movies they can figure out how to drag this out for 3 more seasons.
Martin claims two, but he's been claiming two literally since the first book (it was a trilogy, then five, now seven). So maybe now he knows, but I'll believe it when (if!) I see it...

Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
BrettStah

TC CLUB MEMBER
HBO: Game of Thrones IS going at least eight seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Of course, Martin could end up at ten books (and then he dies at 96 of natural causes with the series incomplete, and somebody else has to finish it off with books 11 & 12)...
There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the wheel of Westeros, but is was A beginning.

The risk I took was calculated. But man, I am really bad at math.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
TonyD79

There is no end. Unless all of the world disappears. The story would go on. It isn't the story of Danys or anyone in particular. Not even one family. It is the story of politics and war in that world. There is no reason to expect and "end" except that they stop telling the story.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
BrettStah

TC CLUB MEMBER
The prequel idea could be cool if done well.

The risk I took was calculated. But man, I am really bad at math.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the wheel of Westeros, but is was A beginning.
What if Daenerys breaks the wheel?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

Unless HBO starts giving me more reasons than GoT and VEEP to subscribe I don't know if I'll last eight seasons.

Pure applesauce flavored jiggery-pokery
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that room when David and Dan were told they had to do at least eight seasons.

"If we had known the story was going to be told in 80 hours instead of 70, we could have included more info about X or not cut out the story of Y."

Old 08-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I do wonder if more is a good thing here. I love the show, but I think at some point we all want to see who "ultimately" get the Iron Throne, who's not a Barathian/Lannister. And that's assuming that's how this is gonna end. But, I'm in for as long as they can keep going

Old 08-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

well, it took winter 5 seasons to finally arrive, i can see at least another 5 seasons until spring.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
think at some point we all want to see who "ultimately" get the Iron Throne, who's not a Barathian/Lannister. And that's assuming that's how this is gonna end. But, I'm in for as long as they can keep going
I'd like to see a final season joke trailer with a crane shot slowly sweeping in on a figure on the Iron throne, gradually you see it's a man, a large man, dressed very regally and as it starts to get close you see him lean forward, reach out his arm and point menacingly at the camera and shout HODORRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! as you almost feel the wind from his breath. Then he sits back and accidentally stabs his arm on throne and starts to whimper and cry.

DavidJL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
sean67854
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Otherwise known as the Robert Jordan Plan.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote