TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
dthmj
Hinky

Vet Shows on Animal Planet

We watch several of these shows... Dr. Jeff Rocky Mountain Vet, The Vet Life, and Dr. Dee Alaska Vet.

They are all great. I especially like Dr Dee and Dr. Jeff. They are both just so compassionate and dedicated to what they do. And willing to go above and beyond to help animals and their families.

I haven't watched much of The Vet Life, but they seem like decent guys and decent vets, but a little more suburban than Dr Dee or Dr Jeff.

And I was saying to hubby the other day... "I don't know what Dr Dee gets paid, but it's not enough..."

said after

Spoiler:
she got knocked over by a mama cow

Anyone else watching these shows? Have I missed any that are similar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
astrohip

I'm not sure what channel it's on, my wife is a big fan of Dr. Pol.

Last edited by astrohip; 07-22-2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: brain fart, its for it's
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm not sure what channel it's on, my wife is a big fan of Dr. Pol.
I haven't heard of that one - I'll have to look it up.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
Old 07-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I see commercials for these vet shows, but don't think I'd like to watch them. I hate seeing animals suffering, and don't want to watch a show about a dog dying or something. Maybe these shows are only about happy results for the animals, but I doubt that.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I see commercials for these vet shows, but don't think I'd like to watch them. I hate seeing animals suffering, and don't want to watch a show about a dog dying or something. Maybe these shows are only about happy results for the animals, but I doubt that.
Most have happy endings. Sometimes a pet will die on the update. Very rarely does the pet die during the show - but it has happened. The good stories far outweigh the sad ones.

These vets also do a lot of community work - have spay & neuter clinics in far off places that don't get much vet care.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
Old 07-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Dr. Pol was the original and the best (IMO). I wish our farm vet was more like Dr. Pol.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
dfergie

We get pulled into them on Saturdays also ...

dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
angbear1985
Τι ποτέ !

Love Dr. Pol! His son, Charles!

Also - really enjoy Dr. Jeff.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Dr. Pol was the original and the best (IMO). I wish our farm vet was more like Dr. Pol.
Yup. They all pale in comparison to Dr. Pol.

uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
dthmj
Hinky

I watched Dr. Pol on Saturday and was not impressed.

Dr. Jeff and Dr. Dee are the best.

Dr. Pol's office (not him, but another vet) had a pregnant dog with babies that were not coming out right - and they wanted to do a c-section - but the owner couldn't afford it. And the owner ended up bringing the dog back home. Everything turned out ok - the pups were born ok. But neither Dr. Jeff or Dr. Dee would have let that dog go home - they would found a way to do the surgery.

Dr. Jeff is just amazing at how he makes sure every pet gets care, regardless if the owner can pay or not.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I think location plays a part there. Dr. Pol is not the only vet around, and he has to make a living. Aren't Dr. Jeff and Dr. Dee in farther out locations (I can't keep all of these shows straight of who is where). I also wonder if Dr. Pol is more realistic, where Dr. Jeff and Dr. Dee "find" a way by having the show pay for it to make for good tv.

The other vets are good, but Dr. Pol is the star of the show.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I'm always amazed by Dr. Scott Sims from Aloha Vet.

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
RonDawg
TiVo Forum Special Member

My favorite celebrity vet is not on any TV channel at all, but on YouTube: Vet Ranch

It was started by a Texas vet named Dr. Matt Carriker, who is actually more famous (subscriber-wise) on YouTube with "Demolition Ranch", a series he started while attending veterinary school. He and three other vets (with a cameo by his father, also a vet) try to save pets (and a few wild animals like a couple of orphaned squirrels) that are on the verge of being euthanized. Many of these animals have injuries and other medical issues that without being addressed would have no hope of being adopted.

Dr. Matt has formed a non-profit to which you can donate to his cause. He gets lots of small donations from young children who write to him, and he will often feature their letters and drawings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
I watched Dr. Pol on Saturday and was not impressed.

(snip)

Dr. Pol's office (not him, but another vet) had a pregnant dog with babies that were not coming out right - and they wanted to do a c-section - but the owner couldn't afford it. And the owner ended up bringing the dog back home. Everything turned out ok - the pups were born ok. But neither Dr. Jeff or Dr. Dee would have let that dog go home - they would found a way to do the surgery.
Dr. Pol was sanctioned a few years ago by the state of Michigan for the way he and another vet handled a pregnancy complication. The dog's owner had reported to Dr. Pol that the dog was overdue but Dr. Pol initially dismissed it. The dog's owner finally brought dog in and Dr. Pol did an ultrasound but still didn't think there was a problem. The dog's owner ended up bringing the dog to a different vet who performed an emergency c-section and found the puppies not just dead, but covered in mucus that would indicate considerable decomposition. In other words, they had been dead for some time.

Some veterinarians take issue with Dr. Pol's methods as seen on his show, such as the lack of sterile practices (including not wearing gloves EWWW) while doing invasive procedures.

RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote