TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
sonnik
Innovations.

Mr. Robot "eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes" OAD 8/10/2016

Well, people are either going to love the first twenty minutes or hate it. I liked the nostalgia, and the ads.

Some decent technical trickery displayed here (in the teaching Angela how to hack story line), as I know some people like that aspect of the show.

Not a lot of forward momentum on the season's story line in this episode.

..but hey, ALF.

sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
sonnik
Innovations.

Also, I liked how the USA screen bug was accurate to the era. You'll notice that when we went back to the "real" (Elliot's "real" world, that is...) that the USA logo bug even disappeared momentarily so it could resurface in the the proper form.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

ROFLMAO to this weeks Mr. Robot opening credits. I see that even after they went back to normal there was an old school Suits commercial.

Last edited by Kamakzie; 08-11-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Kamakzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi

I FF thru the open. Hated it.

Found myself FF thru the normal stuff too. I fear they are losing me. I'll go back, skipping all of the open and give the ep another go.

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

I FF the first 20 minutes.

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

I watched the first 21 minutes. I wish I had ffwd'd through it. I did ffwd through the second flashback scene. They weren't getting me again.

Why did Angela have to learn to code instead of just given pre-written scripts to execute?

The scene with Angela and the stalker FBI agent was painful to watch. Also, if Angela isn't allowed on the FBI floor why did she have access to it? You'd think the FBI could lock down floor access to only authorized people.

I don't really care about Elliot's plot line any more. Whatever is going on with Ray and his henchmen isn't very interesting. Confusing, yes. Interesting, no.

Season 2 of Mr. Robot is moving into thumbs down territory for me.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Cainebj

I liked the idea of the first 20 minutes but I thought they could have accomplished the same thing in 5.

Last week I thought I knew what was going on in this show and now I am completely lost again...

I am somewhat completely confused on the black guy with the dog and what he wanted Elliot to do and then what Elliot actually did that got him beat up.

And why exactly are the rest of them trying to hack the FBI?

And what does that have to do with the cross dressing Chinese guy and was he behind the "terrorist" shooting at the hotel?

SO confused...

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
stellie93

Yeah, me too. I don't know the answers to any of those questions, and I'm not sure I care. I liked the first bit better than the real show, which tells me something. Hey, Alf....

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Craigbob

I thought the open was great. I like that they're taking chances on a variety of styles this year.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
speedcouch
Geekneck

I loved the first 20 minutes! It had me ROTFLMAO ! ALF saying "I kill me" after he drives over Terrell was classic. All it was missing was "hairball Wlliie?" Then when the Dad side explained he did the dream sequence to save Elliott from taking the punches, it was even better. And the turnabout where he thanked "his Dad" for doing it. Then the abrupt ending to the second flashback ended. You were on the edge of your seat waiting for Elliott to pop out with "Mr Robot" after his dad said he could name his store. I thought the episode was great!

Sony Bravia, 32 inch
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR44
HR24
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
sonnik
Innovations.

I don't think this has been clearly discussed in the show, but I'm guessing Elliot must have been a fan of the 80's video game Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Ro..._Robot_Factory

(This is actually a very fun computer game from the era.)

Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #12
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I liked the idea of the first 20 minutes but I thought they could have accomplished the same thing in 5.

Last week I thought I knew what was going on in this show and now I am completely lost again...

I am somewhat completely confused on the black guy with the dog and what he wanted Elliot to do and then what Elliot actually did that got him beat up.

And why exactly are the rest of them trying to hack the FBI?

And what does that have to do with the cross dressing Chinese guy and was he behind the "terrorist" shooting at the hotel?

SO confused...
Ray wanted Elliot to fix a problem his website was having, but he didn't want Elliot to look into what the website was for.

There was an encrypted file that Elliot needed to access, so Ray brought in the guy who had previously worked on the site. While they were fixing it, Elliot and the guy had a "secret" conversation via the keyboard and the guy showed Elliot how to access the site. Elliot went to the site and found out that it's a dark web black market site where people can buy and sell all manner of illegal things, like drugs and firearms. There was also a human trafficking section on the site.

Elliot and Mr Robot were arguing over whether or not he should report the site to the police when Ray's thugs showed up.

The remaining members of F-Society are trying to hack the FBI because they know the FBI is investigating them, and they want to know what the FBI knows.

I don't think they've given us enough information to know exactly what the Chinese guy is up to. I believe that last week was the first indication that he's a high-ranking government official in China.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

I don't understand why Ray needs Elliot. Why not keep kicking the butt of the previous tech guy to get what he needs?

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

This was the first episode this season that I enjoyed from beginning to end.

So, yay!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #15
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I don't understand why Ray needs Elliot. Why not keep kicking the butt of the previous tech guy to get what he needs?
There was a scene where PTG tells Ray the task is beyond his capabilities and he needs to bring someone in.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #16
pgogborn

Dom's line manager is trying to deflect her from investigating the Dark Army. He also said "I got lucky", I was in my room when the attack happened.

Exchange in spoilers to save space..

Spoiler:

24:07,372 _ 392 00:24:13,134 --> 00:24:16,502 Agent Ramos recommends four weeks' psych leave.
393 00:24:16,537 --> 00:24:19,939 And you know I don't take his evaluations lightly.
394 00:24:23,111 --> 00:24:25,411 You were also there.
395 00:24:25,446 --> 00:24:27,446 I was in my room.
396 00:24:27,482 --> 00:24:29,582 I got lucky.
397 00:24:29,617 --> 00:24:30,783 You were smack in the middle.
398 00:24:30,818 --> 00:24:32,084 You owe yourself some time.
399 00:24:32,120 --> 00:24:34,420 I can't go away for a month.
400 00:24:34,455 --> 00:24:36,122 I won't.
401 00:24:36,157 --> 00:24:38,457 We disrupt the investigation, the Dark Army wins.
402 00:24:38,493 --> 00:24:40,426 Chinese are pointing to a group of Uighur separatists.
403 00:24:40,461 --> 00:24:41,994 I told you what I saw at the airport.
404 00:24:42,030 --> 00:24:43,929 What you saw doesn't mean anything.
405 00:24:43,965 --> 00:24:45,965 Excuse me, but I disagree.
406 00:24:46,000 --> 00:24:47,867 We were there to investigate the hack,
407 00:24:47,902 --> 00:24:49,502 and then we were under fire.
408 00:24:49,537 --> 00:24:51,037 That is not a coincidence.
409 00:24:51,072 --> 00:24:54,607 By all reports, the Dark Army are just hackers.

It wouldn't be luck if the Minister of State Security told him the attack was going to happen.

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

I knew that some were going to hate the first 20 minutes but I loved it.
(Is it wrong I laughed several times in that sequence?)

One takeaway that may have gotten lost though was more indications that Mrs. Alderson was/is abusive to Elliot and Darlene.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Loved the satirical take on 80s-90s sitcoms. And the explanation for it made perfect sense.

Did it look like Angela missed wiping her fingerprints from the switch? I wondered if they showed us that whole wiping scene specifically because we were supposed to notice that she didn't get every spot, or if that was just the way Esmail wanted to depict it. Either way, having her crouching down under the desk for that long without knowing whether anyone had come into the room and might be watching her was pretty nerve-racking.

I wonder what Dom wants with Angela. Is it purely coincidence or does Dom have a lead that she's following?

Interesting that the room Elliot is in at the end fits the description of the room where Ray said he kept his dog during the last days of the dog's life. And I wonder what triggered the thugs to yank him from the hospital bed and move him down there, since Ray seemed to be content to let him stay in the hospital bed after their original conversation.

Dom said that the second shooter totally had her cornered and could have taken her out but instead killed himself. I wonder if Whiterose specifically wanted Dom to be spared, or if their instructions were to just kill as many as they could as fast as they could and then kill themselves to avoid anyone finding out why they were there.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
BRiT wtfdotcom

The retro begining was done well, but that is 20 minutes I'm not getting back in my life. The episode would have been better without it. It really detracts from the show, and this season has been rather bad and needs as many improvements as they can get.

BRiT wtfdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #20
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I knew that some were going to hate the first 20 minutes but I loved it.
(Is it wrong I laughed several times in that sequence?)

One takeaway that may have gotten lost though was more indications that Mrs. Alderson was/is abusive to Elliot and Darlene.
It was about 19.5 minutes too long. It stopped being funny pretty quickyl

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #21
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I Googled Alderson. Probably not of downstream plot significance but probably not any old random name.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #22
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Ray wanted Elliot to fix a problem his website was having, but he didn't want Elliot to look into what the website was for.

There was an encrypted file that Elliot needed to access, so Ray brought in the guy who had previously worked on the site. While they were fixing it, Elliot and the guy had a "secret" conversation via the keyboard and the guy showed Elliot how to access the site. Elliot went to the site and found out that it's a dark web black market site where people can buy and sell all manner of illegal things, like drugs and firearms. There was also a human trafficking section on the site.

Elliot and Mr Robot were arguing over whether or not he should report the site to the police when Ray's thugs showed up.

The remaining members of F-Society are trying to hack the FBI because they know the FBI is investigating them, and they want to know what the FBI knows.

I don't think they've given us enough information to know exactly what the Chinese guy is up to. I believe that last week was the first indication that he's a high-ranking government official in China.
THANK YOU!

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Did it look like Angela missed wiping her fingerprints from the switch?
She definitely missed wiping the top of the switch where she touched it.

mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #24
pgogborn

Considering the themes of the show some of the questions could be:
are Angela's fingerprints on record?
how far would the FBI go to obtain the fingerprints of everybody who worked in the building?
is there enough DNA residual to make a match even though the fingerprint is smudged beyond recognition?

Old 08-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #25
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm sure they've done an awesome job getting all the intricate details meshing together well. But I honestly just don't care much anymore. The story has gone off some weird direction and is losing my interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

It may not even matter whether Angela left behind fingerprints or DNA because the Dark Army modified the femtocel and the connection terminated within seconds after Angela finished. Darlene may not be able to hack the network and erase the surveillance video of Angela.

We don't yet understand everyone's motivations, but it seems that Philip Price is grooming Angela to help him, and Whiterose and the Dark Army may have decided that they want to eliminate Angela from board.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #27
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

TC CLUB MEMBER
Who was the guy with the backwards hat who was collecting the backpack and got the needle broke off in the finger (ewwwwwww!!!!!)? Are we supposed to know who that is? And why Angela recognized him? Though she said she didn't.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #28
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Who was the guy with the backwards hat who was collecting the backpack and got the needle broke off in the finger (ewwwwwww!!!!!)? Are we supposed to know who that is? And why Angela recognized him? Though she said she didn't.
Not positive but I think he is the one that gave Angela's boyfriend the so-called music CD that had malware on it. That malware led to all the current events.

I am not sure if he has ever interacted direct with Angela but I think he told Angela's boyfriend that he had been standing outside the AllSafe office for weeks trying to distribute the so-called music CDs (Angela worked at AllSafe).

Old 08-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
Not positive but I think he is the one that gave Angela's boyfriend the so-called music CD that had malware on it. That malware led to all the current events.

I am not sure if he has ever interacted direct with Angela but I think he told Angela's boyfriend that he had been standing outside the AllSafe office for weeks trying to distribute the so-called music CDs (Angela worked at AllSafe).
That's him.

Wasn't Angela with him when he gave the boyfriend the CD?

Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #30
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That's him.

Wasn't Angela with him when he gave the boyfriend the CD?
Yes, she was there

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote