TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

The Flash S01E08 "Flash versus Arrow" (spoilers)

Nice! A few things about this show I really liked:

Eddie comes face-to-face with the Flash. That means no lame attempts at having him being the cliché character who doesn't believe the Flash exists.

Some friction between Flash and Iris. Ouch.

Oliver making his point about Barry needing more training because, frankly, he's still kind of lame, running in without thinking things through.

And a pretty epic Flash battle, with him using all kinds of tricks up his sleeve. He had a lot of pretty slick moves. Thankfully, he's still untrained and was just being a dick and toying with Oliver.

The part that didn't grab me as much was the explanation for the anger generation by Prism. It must be more than just colors. I mean, it made the people's eyes glow.

Oh, and it was a little bit of a surprise that the Captain Singh is gay. Is he gay in the comics after the reboot? I don't know what state Central City is in. Perhaps they don't allow same-sex marriages there yet, which is why the boyfriend is still a boyfriend.

Last edited by bobcarn : 12-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.
bobcarn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
dtle

I really enjoy the episode too.

Ollie is right... way too many people know his secret identity. Wanna bet that the Doc didn't really have to research it at all, it's already known in the future.

As for the state, it's like all fictional DC cities (Gotham, Metropolis, etc). They try to be as vague as possible.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

I don't watch the Arrow, were we supposed to know who the female was at the end that Oliver Queen knew?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Azlen

Did I black out or something and missed how they captured Prism? It seemed to go from we have to catch him, to him in their jail just like that.

One thing that they are doing right here is Flash needing training. Too many movie and TV superheros always seem to know the right way to use their powers right from the start. The fact that they still need training goes unnoticed.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I don't watch the Arrow, were we supposed to know who the female was at the end that Oliver Queen knew?
She was briefly seen in a flashback in the second season as someone the Queen mom paid off so she and Oliver's baby would go away.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
eddyj

I am still back on Season 2 of Arrow, so I was really hoping there would be no spoilers for Season 3. There was one, but it was pretty minor.

Spoiler:
Something bad obviously happened to Oliver's mom, but then again, that is not much of a spoiler. Not sure if she was killed or something, they left it vague enough that I am happy I was not spoiled. Now I need to finish catching up on Arrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

No. New character.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Did I black out or something and missed how they captured Prism? It seemed to go from we have to catch him, to him in their jail just like that.
Same thing happened to me.
tigercat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
eddyj

I assumed that once they were cooperating, and knowing his power (seemed like sunglasses nullified the effect), catching him was so trivial that they did not even have to show it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
vertigo235

Quote:
She was briefly seen in a flashback in the second season as someone the Queen mom paid off so she and Oliver's baby would go away.
Ahhh, that's right, I forgot about that.

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I assumed that once they were cooperating, and knowing his power (seemed like sunglasses nullified the effect), catching him was so trivial that they did not even have to show it.
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
vertigo235

Quote:
The episode wasn't about Prism, it was about Flash vs Arrow. Prism was just there to make Barry act crazy to move that plot along.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.
Who?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
vertigo235

Is Ronnie supposed to be Firestorm?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Is Ronnie supposed to be Firestorm?
In the comics, he is. I'm assuming that was him at the end of the show. We saw a glimpse of him earlier in the season and at the very end when Caitlin was looking at the photo of them together, but flaming guy/Firestorm was pretty grungy and beat-up.

I'm a bit surprised they're bringing him in this early in the season. Firestorm is a heavyweight in the DC Universe in the sense that he's one of the more powerful heroes, up there with Superman, Flash, etc.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
vertigo235

Yeah I did some googling, I assumed that is what they were inferring at the end but I couldn't tell for sure if it was the actor due to the CGI.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
john4200

Doctor Wells really turned up the hypocrisy to eleven when he was lecturing Barry about The Arrow. "His is a brutal, violent vision of justice, one we do not share...". This from the guy who sacrifices the lives of prisoners just to slow down an attacking bad guy? Who secretly murders anyone who he thinks might -- maybe -- be a threat to Barry?

How stupid is Barry to confront the guy who he knows can make people crazy angry and then looks him in the eye at normal speed? Hello? Just immobilize him from behind. Or throw a bag over his head at high speed. Or avoid looking him in the eye. Or at least close your eyes when in front of him. WTF?

The showrunners really bungled the bullet scene in the bank. The bullet is moving in slow motion so that it is nearly frozen, but the guy cringes at almost normal speed:

He is like the cowardly superman -- cringes faster than a speeding bullet!

Last edited by john4200 : 12-03-2014 at 03:16 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcarn View Post
Oh, and it was a little bit of a surprise that the Captain Singh is gay. Is he gay in the comics after the reboot? I don't know what state Central City is in. Perhaps they don't allow same-sex marriages there yet, which is why the boyfriend is still a boyfriend.
Yes he is, although I don't believe that he's out in the comics.
Part of the issue may be that his boyfriend is Hartley Rathaway, AKA the Pied Piper.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #19
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
The showrunners really bungled the bullet scene in the bank. The bullet is moving in slow motion so that it is nearly frozen, but the guy cringes at almost normal speed:

He is like the cowardly superman -- cringes faster than a speeding bullet!
LOL. Yeah, I saw that too when it aired. If he could only control his cringes and cringe out of the way, he'd be able to dodge bullets!
Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Ollie is right... way too many people know his secret identity. Wanna bet that the Doc didn't really have to research it at all, it's already known in the future.
How hard could it have been to figure it out? Oliver Queen shows up with Felicity in Central City at the same time Arrow shows up in Central City.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
The episode wasn't about Prism, it was about Flash vs Arrow. Prism was just there to make Barry act crazy to move that plot along.
Yeah, it's not like they can use red kryptonite to make him crazy.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I really enjoyed this episode, plus Felicity ripping off her blouse was awesome!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
It's a very odd place to put her in though and it took me a minute to place her.

I suppose she (Sandra?) can't be in Starling City though.

Quote:
How hard could it have been to figure it out? Oliver Queen shows up with Felicity in Central City at the same time Arrow shows up in Central City.
It took Lex Luthor over 75 years to figure out
Spoiler:
that Batman is Bruce Wayne.

BTW, Diggle's reaction to Barry's speed was great.

The Tribune synopsis was off though as they had Rainbow Raider's real name as "Ray G. Bivolo" and not "Roy G. Bivolo", thus blowing the obvious joke.

I found it interesting that Harrison and Joe were both on the same page concerning the Arrow.
Harrison's speech could have been about Batman.
(In fact, I had skip back because I initially misheard "that man" as "Batman".)

Elsewhere, I saw it pointed out that if Oliver is the Batman substitute for this TV universe, Barry is the Superman substitute.

Oliver's Arrow stays in the shadows and instills fear in criminals while Barry is the one in the light and wants to inspire people.

These two guys probably shouldn't be friends but so far, it seems to work.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The Tribune synopsis was off though as they had Rainbow Raider's real name as "Ray G. Bivolo" and not "Roy G. Bivolo", thus blowing the obvious joke.
Maybe he's from Boston?

AH-ragne.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #25
mattack

I have been caught up on Flash, and am a couple episodes back on The Arrow.. (I think I picked up fewer new shows that are still continuing.. though my 'new' 3 TB drive is still 56% full after a few months -- it is going lower now we're in _mostly_ reruns though)...

anyway.. I'm not even a huuuuuuuge fan of either show, but this one was very every entertaining. I just thought the action was well done (as I said before in the FF thread, action scenes in various shows mostly bore me nowadays, since esp things like Person of Interest, you know the good guys are going to win), and they made a whole bunch of good jokes.

How did the leader of the Flash helper crew (wheelchair guy, from "Ed", who is a good-guy-that's-really-a-bad-guy) know who the Arrow really was?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #26
vertigo235

Well he does have the computer that can see the future. Perhaps in the future, the arrows identity is revealed. He may have always known, he might have just wanted to see if felicity would reveal.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #27
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I really enjoyed this episode, plus Felicity ripping off her blouse was awesome!
"I swear Felicity, I was just trying to pat out the fire!"

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #28
Archangel00

WOW! What a awesome episode

Diggle's reaction was priceless LOL
There can never be enough Felicity on my TV and topless Felicity is the icing and the cake with ice cream on top.
Some great LOL moments throughout.
Good timing and execution to illustrate just how much more Barry needs to learn.

After these full blown crossover episodes, they MUST continue having more minor interactions with each other ala Chicago Fire/P.D. It would seem Felicity's request for help with Canary's murder is the first step in that direction.

As stated, the yet to be named woman (in either show) Oliver encountered in CC Jitters is his baby momma.

Now off to watch the 2nd half
Hopefully Roy dies and Barry becomes Oliver's "as needed" future sidekick. (though I'm sure that ain't happening) LOL

Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel00 View Post
There can never be enough Felicity on my TV and topless Felicity is the icing and the cake with ice cream on top.
I was really disappointed in last night's Arrow.
Spoiler:
Barry gave Felicity another quick trip, but this time without incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel00 View Post
Diggle's reaction was priceless LOL
It's a bit odd that more people don't freak out over the Flash...
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #30
Archangel00

LOL, agreed on both counts.

Lyla's reaction was as equally amusing as Diggle's though

They really need to keep this chemistry between the two "teams" going. With all the grim happenings on Arrow it needed an little "pick me up" from the youthful exuberance of The Flash team, and The Flash team, needed a bit of being brought back down to earth by The Arrow team too. Very nicely done on both counts, on both shows this week.

Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote