Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

True Detective - S2E1 - "The Western Book of the Dead" 6/23/15

I'm surprised there's no thread yet.

I thought it was a good setup for the season. My only fear is that this bunch of characters are going to be too dark and don't have enough of a redeeming quality that it's going to be hard to "root" for someone to win. I guess that's the style today with shows like Breaking Bad, but for me, but I find it hard to watch if there's no character I care about at all. But the pilot was good and I'll let it flesh out. Last season it took about 4-5 episodes until it really piqued my interest. I thought this pilot was more interesting.

Thoughts?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I enjoyed the otherworldly strangeness of last season, but was disappointed by how the story just...petered out in the end. It looks like they're going more conventional this year, which gives me hope there will be a stronger story. The characters are...interesting enough, but a lot will depend on how they interact, which of course they haven't done at all yet.

Hey, California people...is the town supposed to be an analogue of an actual place?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I enjoyed the otherworldly strangeness of last season, but was disappointed by how the story just...petered out in the end. It looks like they're going more conventional this year, which gives me hope there will be a stronger story. The characters are...interesting enough, but a lot will depend on how they interact, which of course they haven't done at all yet.

Hey, California people...is the town supposed to be an analogue of an actual place?
I read something somewhere that it's based on a real town, but of course not that I need the article, I can't find it

Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
danterner
Not it!

I'm not from CA, but I've read that there is a town called Vernon that is basically in the middle of (or adjacent to?) LA, that has about 100 people and is pretty corrupt. Many LA locals aren't even aware it's there. Vinci is supposedly based on it.

Here we go:

http://www.scpr.org/programs/welcome...t-the-heck-is/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
pmyers

ugh...I want to like but I just hate shows that CONSTANTLY flip back and forth between time periods. It just takes me out of the rythem and story as I have to try and figure out when I'm looking at.

I guess my other peeve would be that it's so similiar to the original as far as the mood, clothes, cars.

Of course I'll keep watching cause I know how great the original ended up being.

pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I'm not from CA, but I've read that there is a town called Vernon that is basically in the middle of (or adjacent to?) LA, that has about 100 people and is pretty corrupt. Many LA locals aren't even aware it's there. Vinci is supposedly based on it.

Here we go:

http://www.scpr.org/programs/welcome...t-the-heck-is/
Thanks for the link.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

Vernon. The only apparent difference between the real Vernon and the fictional Vinci so far is that the LA Times staff writer didn't get beaten up. Or at least I don't think he did...

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
ugh...I want to like but I just hate shows that CONSTANTLY flip back and forth between time periods. It just takes me out of the rythem and story as I have to try and figure out when I'm looking at.

I guess my other peeve would be that it's so similiar to the original as far as the mood, clothes, cars.

Of course I'll keep watching cause I know how great the original ended up being.
I don't think there were very many time-period flips in this episode. There was the one early in the episode where we saw the younger version of Colin Farrell go into the bar and get info from Vince Vaughn about the guy that raped Colin Farrell's wife (and got her pregnant, and maxed out her credit cards). That scene was necessary to show us that Farrell has been in debt to the mob ever since. But I don't remember any other scenes flipping back and forth between time periods.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I think it's important for people to understand a bit of the geography. We saw an establishing shot of Vinci that places it within sight of Downtown LA, probably less than 10 miles. But it appears to have lots of industry and warehouses and not a lot of residents, which makes it almost identical to the real Vernon, CA. According to Google, Vernon is only 5 square miles and has a population of 114. Vernon even has the water tower that that was used in the Vinci establishing shot. Vinci is where Colin Farrell works, where Vince Vaughn's character is located, and the guy who was left dead on the park bench is the city manager of Vinci.

The character played by Rachel McAdams is a deputy sheriff in Ventura County, which is northwest of LA County. If you leave LA and drive on the Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu, you'll eventually cross the county line into Ventura County. It's at least 40 miles away from downtown, but due to traffic, it probably takes a couple hours to get out there during the day. While LA is huge and overcrowded and messy, Ventura County is still mostly rural and is a haven for the new-agey type places like the institute where Rachel McAdam's father was giving his lecture.

Taylor Kitsch's character is a CHP cop, and apparently his beat was the PCH in the Malibu area, which is where he pulled over the actress in the convertible.

It appears the show is going to be a bit of a juxtaposition between the crime and corruption of Vinci, and the more straight-laced law enforcement of Ventura County, with Taylor Kitsch and the dead guy acting as the link between the two worlds.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Yep. Everything that DevdogAZ wrote.

Vinci, CA = real-life Vernon, CA, corruption and all.

The body was found at Pt Mugu, which is off of PCH north of Malibu, just across the Ventura County line. It's about 50 miles from Vernon/Vinci. Drive time during the day would be approximately 90 minutes to 2 hours. In the middle of the night it would still be an hour at least.

This is how we get an apparent 3-way jurisdictional battle that will involve the Ventura County Sheriffs Department (Rachel McAdams), California Highway Patrol (Taylor Kitsch), and Vinci PD (Farrell). The dead body was found in an unincorporated part of Ventura County, adjacent to a highway patrolled by the CHP, and involves a missing person from Vinci.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Vernon apparently welcomed the show shooting within its confines. http://www.laweekly.com/news/the-cor...appier-5709057

Old 06-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
SoBelle0
Go Big Blue!!

Interesting! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Enough character intro to make me want to see more - and to set up the various potential interactions.

Does the real Vinci/Vernon realize it's corrupt?

SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
Interesting! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Enough character intro to make me want to see more - and to set up the various potential interactions.

Does the real Vinci/Vernon realize it's corrupt?
It used to realize it. Now it doesn't, if the links posted above are to be believed.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #14
mm2margaret
Meagan

For me, the weakest part of the story was with Colin Farrell and his character. He just seemed "dead" to me. He's not my favorite actor in general, still he was good in "In Bruges", but this time, wow, he just seemed not really there - just a giant blank. Perhaps it was because his character seemed only one tone, and not much else. I don't care if that is what they were shooting for, when that character showed up, particularly with the kid, the show just seemed to slow to a crawl....

Other than that, I kind of liked it. But I doubt it's going to be as good as it was last year.

Last edited by mm2margaret; 06-24-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
mm2margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
For me, the weakest part of the story was with Colin Farrell and his character. He just seemed "dead" to me. He's not my favorite actor in general, still he was good in "In Bruges", but this time, wow, he just seemed not really there - just a giant blank. Perhaps it was because his character seemed only one tone, and not much else. I don't care if that is what they were shooting for, when that character showed up, particularly with the kid, the show just seemed to slow to a crawl....

Other than that, I kind of liked it. But I doubt it's going to be as good as it was last year.
Wow, I have no idea what show you were watching. Colin Farrell was outstanding in this episode. You could just see all his emotions on his face. You could feel what he was going through. You could practically smell his breath through the TV screen. If you don't like Colin Farrell and you didn't think he was good in this episode, then I'm going to speculate that this season might not be for you, since he's the main character and will likely get more screen time than anyone else.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #16
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

I'm kinda with DevdogAZ here - I think CF killed it with that performance.

Brad

bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 AM   #17
Fixer
Fixin' it!!

I think it was a good setup for the season. James Frain... Damn! That dude is in everything it seems!

Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
James Frain... Damn! That dude is in everything it seems!
He's the new Mark Sheppard!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #19
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
The dead body was found in an unincorporated part of Ventura County, adjacent to a highway patrolled by the CHP, and involves a missing person from Vinci.
It's HBO's version of The Bridge! :-)

I have to confess that I liked it better than the bad press reviews had led me to believe. It's f'ing depressing, though, and it would be nice to have at least one character to cheer for. The CHP cop is about my only hope and he's clearly damaged.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #20
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The CHP cop is about my only hope and he's clearly damaged.
I know I'm over a week behind, here, but I've been out of town and am just now getting started on this. My only problem with this first episode is that I felt like I was being beaten over the head about how damaged EVERY character is. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, for all the characters to be downers, but this episode, at least, seemed to be absolutely screaming for me to make sure I understood just how damaged everyone was.
OK, I get it already!

Season one left me with a lot of good will for the show, and I'm fully expecting to enjoy this season as well. But I hope this was just a case of over-introducing the characters, and that they move past it going forward.

Looking forward to getting caught up tonight or tomorrow....

Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #21
Cainebj

Well I'm even further behind you - mostly because of how much I hated the first season...
So far so good - love the new characters and actors - many are faves of mine except Vince Vaughn who I usually can't stand but is surprisingly good here.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote