That musical act, Sia? What the hell was that? smh
thebigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmo View Post
That musical act, Sia? What the hell was that? smh
LOL

Seriuosly. I had a great laugh and then fast forwarded through it. Serious WTF moment.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Supposedly she has extreme stage fright, so she wears the black veil so you can't see that she's closing her eyes, and then she puts the other crazy stuff on the stage to keep the audience from looking at her. Very bizarre that someone like her would choose that profession.

The rest of the show was pretty good. Kevin Hart brought a lot of energy to every sketch he was in, and I think he was in all of them outside the cold open and Update.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

SNL is trying very hard, and succeeding, in completely losing me this year. I usually defend them to the point of ludicrosity, but I haven't liked much at all the season.

Bad guests has something to do with that. Kevin Hart isn't bad, but he's obviously a comedian and not a sketch comic.

Why the hell don't they bring back Bruno Mars?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
Why the hell don't they bring back Bruno Mars?
In their defense, Bruno Mars was on the show as a musical guest in November with Mark Ronson, and I'm pretty sure if he had wanted to participate in any sketches, the cast and writers would have leapt at the chance to use him.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
ElJay

I thought Sia was the most interesting part of the show. I'm not sure what I was watching but the performance was captivating.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

If you think the SNL performance was weird, look for Sia's performance on Jimmy Kimmel...
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Supposedly she has extreme stage fright, so she wears the black veil so you can't see that she's closing her eyes, and then she puts the other crazy stuff on the stage to keep the audience from looking at her. Very bizarre that someone like her would choose that profession.
I'm pretty sure it's just an affectation at this point. I generally find the performances interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
If you think the SNL performance was weird, look for Sia's performance on Jimmy Kimmel...
Do you mean the one Sia did with the clowns

OR

When Jimmy did the dancing

Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

The clowns one (Maddie was there briefly as well). I didn't watch the other one.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #10
DeDondeEs

I thought the opener with MLK was actually pretty funny and poignant. Kevin Hart's monologue was also pretty funny, and I usually don't like his work. The bit with the "gangsters" in the gentrified part of Brooklyn got some laughs out of me as well.

The glitches during that first "Why'd You Post That" skit were funny. At first the TV wouldn't display the picture, the actors did an awesome job winging it. Then the first time that couch was pulled back into the dungeon, it appears to have hit a wall or something. When the skit was done right before they cut to commercial you could see Kevin Hart looking off camera and saying something like "What the heck was that?"

The Sia songs were interesting. During the first video I was half expecting Shia LeBeouf to come out and start dancing like he does in the official video for the song.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
mwhip
All better

Anyone who watches "So You Think You Can Dance" regularly is not really surprised when they see some weird contemporary pieces.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
I thought Sia was the most interesting part of the show. I'm not sure what I was watching but the performance was captivating.
+1

I usually skip through the musical performances but I ended up watching the first song twice. It was mesmerizing.

Quote:
Supposedly she has extreme stage fright, so she wears the black veil so you can't see that she's closing her eyes
I believe you are incorrect about that.
Not showing her face in performances has something to do with her not wanting to be recognized as a celebrity in public.
It's probably a gimmick for this CD because you can youtube her early performances and see full face.

And if you don't know - you would be amazed at the number of hit songs she has written for other people. I was surprised to learn that haunting song that plays in the series finale of SIX FEET UNDER is Sia.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Kevin did a pretty good job of either remembering his lines or making it look like he was reading every word, like most hosts do.

Sia.... well she is different.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #14
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I'm not too familiar with Kevin Hart. I thought his James Brown impression was good....other than that? He appears to be a watery eyed really small body big head person who jiggles around like jello? Bruno Mars without talent? Why he's hosting is beyond me. For me, the James Brown bit and the first few seconds of the Bieber commercial were the only enjoyable bits in the show. The news segment sucked a little less than usual, though it still is a major disjointed disappointment that could be somewhat fixed by just removing Colin. The musical guest? WTF??? Did she wear a blinder so she wouldn't have to watch her own pathetic act? I'm guessing there was some deep message there that I totally missed?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
LifeIsABeach

Sia is an untalented artist trying to use the popularity of Dance Mons and controversial videos to sell her music.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
jamesl

Quote:
sounds like Buckethead
recognized as one of the best guitarist in the world

but he always wears a KFC bucket on his head, and a mask, and does nunchucks and robot dancing during the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F27goABYMso

here's one of his songs if you're not familiar with him (it's not for everyone, but I LOVE it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adV8-_hgL4g
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
Sia is an untalented artist trying to use the popularity of Dance Mons and controversial videos to sell her music.
X is an untalented x trying to use x to sell x. That's actually kind of how the world goes round these days.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

I just watch Sia's SNL song on youtube. Actually half of it. She seems like a cut rate Lady Gaga. Let's just say that I won't be buying or streaming any of her music.

Move over, Felicity Smoak. Cookie Lyon and Agent Peggy Carter are my new tv girlfriends.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #19
mwhip
All better

Sia has been putting music out since the mid 90's. She does not have stage fright her goal is to focus on the music and performance not on the singer. She just recently started singing off stage while dancers and performers perform.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
JohnB1000

Quote:
This really makes me think you don't know who she is

She's performed for years, had hits since 2000 and has written a huge number of hits for other people. Diamonds by Rihanna, songs by Celine Dion, Beyonce etc.

I'm not a fan of the type of music she sings and writes but she's clearly very talented.

Here is audio of her singing live on Howard Stern

Sia

Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #21
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Someone on the Internet not knowing something but commenting anyway: Shocking!
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #22
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
yeah that was weird.....sitting off-stage with her back to the audience. Why even bother being there. Just play a track.......
Old 01-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post

She's performed for years, had hits since 2000 and has written a huge number of hits for other people. Diamonds by Rihanna, songs by Celine Dion, Beyonce etc.

I'm not a fan of the type of music she sings and writes but she's clearly very talented.

Here is audio of her singing live on Howard Stern

Sia
No I don't. And looking through the thread it looks like most people don't.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #24
realityboy

Sia is weird. I get that her music isn't for everyone, but is this really the first time people are hearing her? Chandelier isn't exactly an obscure song. It was popular and it's 10 months old. In fact, SNL parodied the video 3 months ago on the Halloween episode with Jim Carrey.
realityboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #25
trainman
Nice to see you

I've known about her for years. I own this album, which is from 2008, and has her face on the cover:

(I'm not a fan of her current live-performance affectation, but I do still like her music.)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #26
alpacaboy

In the first Sia performance, I was happy to see Jim Carey and Kate McKinnon reprise their dance from last October. It was just as funny this time.

I didn't realize they were so flexible though.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #27
JohnB1000

Quote:
No I don't. And looking through the thread it looks like most people don't.
Maybe not the right group to associate yourself with
Old 01-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #28
kar74
hi.

Finally got a chance to watch this episode and thought, while Sia is a bit odd, her voice is amazing. I loved that version of Chandelier she did with the mime next to her.

I also loved the Bieber CK commercials. :-)
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote