TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #1
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Game of Thrones Questions

I noticed that the opening credits seem to show a globe from the inside, rather than outside of the globe. Is there a significance to that? It that why the winters can be years long, or do we just assume its a magic world, not subject to our scientific laws?

Also, how far is it from The Wall, to Winterfell, to Kings Landing, to the Dothraki? How many miles and how many days journey?

Also, a specific episode question from Season Two (or perhaps the beginning of Season 3)
Spoiler:
Theon takes Kings Landing with 20 men. The castle is then surrounded, and he's advised to flee to the Night Watch. He doesn't, makes that speech, and his men knock him out. I assumed the castle was surrounded by Rob's men, and his men turned on him to get out alive. But then we see that Kings Landing has been burned down. Who was at the gate, if not King Rob's men?

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #2
Ereth

The answer to your spoilered question is given in a later episode.

Just in case you really want to be spoiled -

Spoiler:

Ramsay Boltons men. Theons men turn him over to save their own lives.

As for distances... they are "really far". GRRM has asked that there be no scale on the map, as he adjusts the maps as the plot requires and doesn't want to be held to a particular distance. The characters move "at the speed of plot" rather than realistic speeds.

Rob Helmerichs has made some reasonable guesses in the various GoT threads, he might be able to give you a guesstimate.

As for seasons being years long, there has been no explanation of that. My best guess would be that they are in a binary system, but there's been no mention of two suns in the sky, and the TV show has only one, so that idea is out.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #3
Dago Red

Also,

Spoiler:
What happened with Theon was at Winterfell, not Kings Landing

Dago Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
The characters move "at the speed of plot" rather than realistic speeds.
Hehe. Kind of reminds me of 24.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #5
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
Also,

Spoiler:
What happened with Theon was at Winterfell, not Kings Landing
You are right, that's what I meant.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I noticed that the opening credits seem to show a globe from the inside, rather than outside of the globe. Is there a significance to that? It that why the winters can be years long, or do we just assume its a magic world, not subject to our scientific laws?

Also, how far is it from The Wall, to Winterfell, to Kings Landing, to the Dothraki? How many miles and how many days journey?
I don't think it's a globe from the inside, that's just the way some people see it due to the odd way the camera flies around.

EDIT: While the world itself is not actually on the inside of a sphere, the opening title sequence is filmed as if the world was projected onto the inside of a sphere, with the sun at the center. See post below.

Winter has never been addressed, other than characters commenting on how some winters are fairly brief, and others are really long. Plus they don't occur on a regular, seasonal (ha!) basis. So you might go years without a winter. But it seems the longer you go without one, the harsher they are when they finally happen.

Places are farther apart than they seem. I've found what really helps is a map. Even without a scale, you get a much better feel for where events are happening, and how close (or far away) the players are to each other. There are no spoilers from looking at a map. Here is a link to a very large, well-made map.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._world_HBO.jpg

Last edited by astrohip; Yesterday at 11:31 PM. Reason: new info
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
The opening titles were designed by a company called Elastic. The map is depicted as being on the inside of a sphere, with the primary light source being inside an astrolabe at the center of the sphere. There is no story-related significance to the way the maps are projected in the title sequence. It's just an artistic decision.

Here's a basic description of what you're seeing in the opening title sequence:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game...title_sequence

And here's a very detailed interview with the main creator of the title sequence talking about the different ideas they had and how they eventually settled on the "inside of a sphere" concept:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/game-of-thrones/

Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The opening titles were designed by a company called Elastic. The map is depicted as being on the inside of a sphere, with the primary light source being inside an astrolabe at the center of the sphere. There is no story-related significance to the way the maps are projected in the title sequence. It's just an artistic decision.

Here's a basic description of what you're seeing in the opening title sequence:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game...title_sequence

And here's a very detailed interview with the main creator of the title sequence talking about the different ideas they had and how they eventually settled on the "inside of a sphere" concept:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/game-of-thrones/
Thanks for those links. Incredibly interesting, especially "Art of the Title".

I'll go back and correct my post, to reflect this info.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:58 AM   #9
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

There are a couple of what appear to be blinks in the opening sequence. It always seemed to me that we were seeing it from a dragon's eye perspective.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #10
Ereth

I thought those were lens changes.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #11
wprager

Lens changes is what I thought as well -- perhaps inserting different lenses to make a telescope image clearer.

wprager is online now   Reply With Quote