TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #511
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
This would be a totally different app - different life cycle, different method of invocation. It could be done, but it would be a completely new program.
Thanks for the clairification. Please don't think another thing of it. Was just thinking out loud.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #512
jbernardis

I just updated github with version 2.0g. This release includes the following:

- added __fileName and __filePath as automatic metadata items. These are also in the default ignore list so they don't show up in the info view. If you want to see them, you need to redefine metaignore (in vidmgr.ini) to NOT include these names

- Fixed the sorting logic that caused titles like "Alien" to sort AFTER "Alien 3"

- added new vidmgr.ini option - ignorearticle - that will ignore an article (the, a, or an) at the beginning of a title. Thus, "The Abyss" will sort with the A's instead of the T's. The default value of this is True so this new behavior will occur unless you change it to False. This also affects alpha virtual shares: The Abyss will be included with the A's and not with the T's
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #513
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Thanks for the clairification. Please don't think another thing of it. Was just thinking out loud.
No problem at all.

If people never made suggestions, vidmgr would still be a very simple text-based SD application. Suggestions made here have shaped it into what it has become.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #514
bwall23

Quote:
I just updated github with version 2.0g. This release includes the following:

- added __fileName and __filePath as automatic metadata items. These are also in the default ignore list so they don't show up in the info view. If you want to see them, you need to redefine metaignore (in vidmgr.ini) to NOT include these names

- Fixed the sorting logic that caused titles like "Alien" to sort AFTER "Alien 3"

- added new vidmgr.ini option - ignorearticle - that will ignore an article (the, a, or an) at the beginning of a title. Thus, "The Abyss" will sort with the A's instead of the T's. The default value of this is True so this new behavior will occur unless you change it to False. This also affects alpha virtual shares: The Abyss will be included with the A's and not with the T's
Thanks for the fixes jbernardis, both the port and filename fixes are working! I was able to find a few recorded shows where the TiVo metadata was incorrect and converted them to MP4 w/metadata to correct them.

Question about the filename.
I have the following in my vidmgr.ini and both display the filename in the info screen.
Code:
metafirst=title episodeTitle __fileName description fileName
Which is the correct one to use, going forward?

On the INFO screen;
First one '__fileName' displays as File Name
Second one 'fileName' displays as fileName

Thanks Again for the great app

P.S. forget about the comment on 'fileName'.
I forgot I tried this on two of my files as a test;
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...55#post8798355
I like your fix a lot better since I don't have to mod thousands of meta text files gen'd from kmttg to accomplish this.

Last edited by bwall23 : 11-18-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: P.S.
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #515
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
Which is the correct one to use, going forward?

On the INFO screen;
First one '__fileName' displays as File Name
Second one 'fileName' displays as fileName

Thanks Again for the great app

P.S. forget about the comment on 'fileName'.
Just a FYI - I had originally supported a tag named 'file' that could be used in the 'display' vidmgr.ini statement; this inserted the filename into the navigation display. This was not actually a metadata item and was supported by logic when the display string was being built. This is no longer necessary - __fileName supplants it. However, 'file' in this context is still supported for backward compatibility.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #516
lrhorer

Quote:
No problem at all.

If people never made suggestions, vidmgr would still be a very simple text-based SD application. Suggestions made here have shaped it into what it has become.
Which is a very fine product, indeed.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #517
lrhorer

I just downloaded the most recent git, and I am getting the following error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/BuildCache.py", line 17, in <module>
    c.build()
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/VideoCache.py", line 281, in build
    h = KeyValHarvester(section, lopts, vdict)
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/Meta.py", line 172, in __init__
    Harvester.__init__(name, opts)
TypeError: unbound method __init__() must be called with Harvester instance as first argument (got str instance instead)
I haven't done any merging from the ini.dist file.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #518
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I just downloaded the most recent git, and I am getting the following error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/BuildCache.py", line 17, in <module>
    c.build()
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/VideoCache.py", line 281, in build
    h = KeyValHarvester(section, lopts, vdict)
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/Meta.py", line 172, in __init__
    Harvester.__init__(name, opts)
TypeError: unbound method __init__() must be called with Harvester instance as first argument (got str instance instead)
I haven't done any merging from the ini.dist file.

This error has been corrected by the most recent git - Version 2.0h posted today.

Thanks LRhorer for finding it.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #519
lrhorer

If something can be broken, count on me to do it.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #520
Squirl1899

Folder.jpg vs Moviename.mkv.jpg Inside Folders

I am using ThumbGen to create Movie Sheets and are automatically naming them movei.mkv.jpg. This works great with VidMgr if I don't have them in separate folders but just in one big folder and all the files are in that one folder. The problem with that, Windows Media Center does not see any of the thumbnails. On the other hand if I keep all the files in separate folders, i.e. Movie\Movie.mkv, folder.jpg, moviename.mkv.jpg I can get Windows Media center to work just fine with the folder.jpg files but VidMgr only shows the folder.jpg thumbnail and NOT the movie sheet unless I actually click on the folder, then the movie sheet is there. I want the movie sheet to be there in the folder view AND when I click on the actual folder. If I rename the movie sheet to folder.jpg Windows Media center will pull it up but it doesn't work because it is a movie sheet and not a thumbnail and is not readable.

The question is, can I have VidMgr use the movie.mkv.jpg for the folder view instead of it using the folder.jpg as the default folder view? That way, it would work with both Media Center and VidMgr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Time to Kill (1996).mkv.jpg (66.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg folder.jpg (45.7 KB, 16 views)
Squirl1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #521
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl1899 View Post
I am using ThumbGen to create Movie Sheets and are automatically naming them movei.mkv.jpg. This works great with VidMgr if I don't have them in separate folders but just in one big folder and all the files are in that one folder. The problem with that, Windows Media Center does not see any of the thumbnails. On the other hand if I keep all the files in separate folders, i.e. Movie\Movie.mkv, folder.jpg, moviename.mkv.jpg I can get Windows Media center to work just fine with the folder.jpg files but VidMgr only shows the folder.jpg thumbnail and NOT the movie sheet unless I actually click on the folder, then the movie sheet is there. I want the movie sheet to be there in the folder view AND when I click on the actual folder.
Why not just create the main file wherever is best under whatever name is best, and then create a link with the other name in whatever location is required? The process is a bit clumsy under Windows, but not difficult.

Quote:
If I rename the movie sheet to folder.jpg Windows Media center will pull it up but it doesn't work because it is a movie sheet and not a thumbnail and is not readable.
If it pulls it up, how can it be that it doesn't work or isn't readable? By definition, if the app pulls up a file, it has read it.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #522
Squirl1899

Quote:
Why not just create the main file wherever is best under whatever name is best, and then create a link with the other name in whatever location is required? The process is a bit clumsy under Windows, but not difficult.
I don't quite understand since both files need to be named folder.jpg. Even if I create a link, it will still be a folder.jpg link so there will be 2 files in the same folder named folder.jpg one will just be a link. How will VidMgr and Windows Media Center know the correct one to use? Windows Media Center needs to use the 200x300 and VidMgr needs to use the 1280x720 one. I attached samples to my original post so you can see the difference between the two.

Quote:
If it pulls it up, how can it be that it doesn't work or isn't readable? By definition, if the app pulls up a file, it has read it.
Not that the app hasn't read it, it isn't readable by me because the movie sheet is in a 1280x720 format not a 200x300 like regular cover art. So even though WMC pulls up the movie sheet if it is named folder.jpg it is too scrunched up to read.

The way VidMgr works now when I have the movies in their own seperate folders is:

* When I highlight the folder VidMgr displays the 200x300 thumbnail that is named folder.jpg and when I click on the actual folder VidMgr displays the 1280x720 movie sheet that is labeled moviename.mkv.jpg. If I change the movie sheet to folder.jpg then VidMgr will display the movie sheet when I highlight the folder AND when I click on the folder.

* In WMC it will ONLY use the folder.jpg file so if I change the movie sheet to folder.jpg the image isn't formatted correctly so it is not a viable workaround.

What I am looking for is a way to have VidMgr use the moviename.mkv.jpg when I highlight the folder and when I click on the folder. Right now it only uses the moviename.mkv.jpg when I click on the actual folder.

I hope that helps to clarify the issue and thanks for the reply.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #523
jbernardis

Quote:
What I am looking for is a way to have VidMgr use the moviename.mkv.jpg when I highlight the folder and when I click on the folder. Right now it only uses the moviename.mkv.jpg when I click on the actual folder.
The logic to search for the image file is centralized in DetailDisplayManager.py. Here is the code:
Code:
	def getThumb(self, dir, name, isDVD):
		thumb = None
		names = []
		names.append(os.path.join(dir, name + '.jpg'))
		names.append(os.path.join(dir, '.meta', name + '.jpg'))
		names.append(os.path.join(dir, 'folder.jpg'))
		names.append(os.path.join(dir, '.meta', 'folder.jpg'))
		if isDVD: 
			names.append(os.path.join(dir, 'default.jpg'))
			names.append(os.path.join(dir, '.meta', 'default.jpg'))

def getDirThumb(self, dir, isDVD):
		thumb = None
		names = []
		if isDVD: 

The first routine is for finding the thumbnail for a video file, and the second routine is for a directory. In the case of the directory, there is no file name to use. The directory can potentially have many files - how would I know which one to choose to use as the basis for the image file name?

How about this - what if I allow you to specify via the ini file an alternate file name to use. The default would be folder.jpg, so people not wanting this feature would be unaffected. This way you'd have to make a copy of (or a link to) the movie.mkv.jpg file to the name you specify, and I would look for that file instead of folder.jpg. WMC could then use folder.jpg.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #524
lrhorer

Quote:
I don't quite understand since both files need to be named folder.jpg. Even if I create a link, it will still be a folder.jpg link so there will be 2 files in the same folder named folder.jpg one will just be a link.
No, they cannot have the same name. I think maybe I had it backwards. You don't want the same content under two different names, but rather want vidmgr to pick up one file and WMC the other, but both applications are looking for a file named folder.jpg. Is that right?

Quote:
How will VidMgr and Windows Media Center know the correct one to use? Windows Media Center needs to use the 200x300 and VidMgr needs to use the 1280x720 one. I attached samples to my original post so you can see the difference between the two.
Again, two files cannot have the same name (in a single directory), so one is going to have to be named something other than folder.jpg.

Quote:

I hope that helps to clarify the issue and thanks for the reply.
Yes.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #525
jbernardis

Quote:
No, they cannot have the same name. I think maybe I had it backwards. You don't want the same content under two different names, but rather want vidmgr to pick up one file and WMC the other, but both applications are looking for a file named folder.jpg. Is that right?
Yeah - this was my assumption too, which is why I suggested that I could, through an ini file entry, use a name alternate to folder.jpg. I have actually made this change already, but I haven't yet packaged it for git because I haven't heard a response to my suggestion.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #526
Squirl1899

Quote:
The logic to search for the image file is centralized in DetailDisplayManager.py. Here is the code:
Code:
	def getThumb(self, dir, name, isDVD):
		thumb = None
		names = []
		names.append(os.path.join(dir, name + '.jpg'))
		names.append(os.path.join(dir, '.meta', name + '.jpg'))
		if isDVD: 

def getDirThumb(self, dir, isDVD):
		thumb = None
		names = []
		if isDVD: 

The first routine is for finding the thumbnail for a video file, and the second routine is for a directory. In the case of the directory, there is no file name to use. The directory can potentially have many files - how would I know which one to choose to use as the basis for the image file name?

How about this - what if I allow you to specify via the ini file an alternate file name to use. The default would be folder.jpg, so people not wanting this feature would be unaffected. This way you'd have to make a copy of (or a link to) the movie.mkv.jpg file to the name you specify, and I would look for that file instead of folder.jpg. WMC could then use folder.jpg.
Sorry for the delay, have been busy with the holidays. That sounds like a perfect solution. If I can have VidMgr to look for moviename.mkv.jpg then that would work perfectly. I know that is what it looks for when I actually click on the corresponding folder. Thanks for the quick reply and an amazing product.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #527
jbernardis

Quote:
... If I can have VidMgr to look for moviename.mkv.jpg then that would work perfectly. ...
Let's be clear here. I am proposing having vidmgr look for a fixed file name that is different than folder.jpg. Every directory would need to have the same named file, but it would be different than folder.jpg.

I am not proposing that the new file name be a function of the video file name, nor do I want to make that change. I think a fixed file name will work for you; you will just have to create a link to each "moviename.mkv.jpg" file in each directory.

I think inherent to the problem here is that you seem to have one video file per directory. Most people using this app have multiple. With multiple files, it is impossible to tell which jpg file should stand for the entire directory. I am willing to give you a fixed alternative to the folder.jpg name.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #528
Squirl1899

Quote:
Let's be clear here. I am proposing having vidmgr look for a fixed file name that is different than folder.jpg. Every directory would need to have the same named file, but it would be different than folder.jpg.

I am not proposing that the new file name be a function of the video file name, nor do I want to make that change. I think a fixed file name will work for you; you will just have to create a link to each "moviename.mkv.jpg" file in each directory.
That is fine with me, I can have Thumbnail Generator name the files whatever I want, I forgot which program I was using that needed it moviename.mkv.jpg but it worked with VidMgr when I had all the files in a single directory so I just stuck with it.

Quote:
I think inherent to the problem here is that you seem to have one video file per directory. Most people using this app have multiple. With multiple files, it is impossible to tell which jpg file should stand for the entire directory. I am willing to give you a fixed alternative to the folder.jpg name.
That is how I currently have the majority of my 8TB of movies stored, under a single directory on each hard drive. The issue came up when I my 18 month old pulled the portable dvd player off the counter and I decided to make an old laptop a media center and just stream the movies via Windows Media Center. I couldn't get the cover art to work and after a lot of searching I found out that WMC REQUIRES individual folders and will only read the folder.jpg file for the cover art. I figured it would be easier to ask you to do your magic than trying to get Microsoft to rewrite their WMC code...LOL!!

So the bottom line is, just let me know what alternate name it needs to be and I will begin the arduous task of combining all of my movies into individual folders to satisfy the sadist at MS..LOL. GREAT PROGRAM btw, it has been a lot easier than switching to my PS3 each time and using PS3 Media Server. This way, my non technical wife can even do it. ;-) Thanks for the hard work and is there a way to donate to the cause?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #529
jbernardis

Quote:
... So the bottom line is, just let me know what alternate name it needs to be and I will begin the arduous task of combining all of my movies into individual folders to satisfy the sadist at MS...
No specific name is needed - you can decide for yourself. You will just have to specify it in the ini file. I will post it this evening and include instructions at that time.

Quote:
Thanks for the hard work and is there a way to donate to the cause?
Thanks for the kind words - no donation necessary.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #530
Squirl1899

Quote:
No specific name is needed - you can decide for yourself. You will just have to specify it in the ini file. I will post it this evening and include instructions at that time.
Great, can't wait to try it out.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #531
Squirl1899

JBernardis, is there a site for customized skins? I think it would be pretty cool to see what others have done to customize their VidMgr. Just a thought.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #532
Squirl1899

For those of you interested I use ThumbGen for my movie sheets, you can download it from http://thumbgen.org/
Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #533
lrhorer

Quote:
JBernardis, is there a site for customized skins? I think it would be pretty cool to see what others have done to customize their VidMgr. Just a thought.
'Not a bad idea.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #534
jbernardis

Version 2.0i is not available at github (see my signature). This version adds a new vidmgr.ini parameter:

thumbfolderfn=filename

If this is not specified, the value "folder.jpg" is assumed so that there will be no difference in operation for those who do not use this feature.

This is described in the vidmgr.ini.dist

And to my knowledge, there is no site for other skins.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #535
Squirl1899

Quote:
Version 2.0i is not available at github (see my signature). This version adds a new vidmgr.ini parameter:

thumbfolderfn=filename

If this is not specified, the value "folder.jpg" is assumed so that there will be no difference in operation for those who do not use this feature.

This is described in the vidmgr.ini.dist

Works perfectly, I am now in the process of moving everything into their own individual folders and then letting ThumbGen run overnight to create a movie.jpg file in each folder. GREAT WORK and thanks a TON!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #536
cweb

Been having recent problems running vidmgr from my Mac.

Approximately 1/3 of the time it runs perfectly. 1/3 of the time I am getting an issue where the shares are being shown correctly, but when selected there are no shows available (the counts for each share also show 0). Pytivo runs just fine.

The other third of the time I get an "http connection error 0x50005" error when selecting vidmgr.

Restarting vidmgr or the tivos may of may not temporarily resolve the problem.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the two issues.

Thanks in advance.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #537
jbernardis

Not off hand.

It sounds like some kind of networking issue. Are you sure you don't have pyhme running twice, or perhaps something else competing for the same port number? The error message you mention does not come from my code.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #538
lrhorer

Quote:
I suppose I could host one. I have a couple of websites. How many people would be interested in me putting up a skins page on one of my sites? Users could send me PMs with skins in them, and I could put them up.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #539
cweb

Quote:
Not off hand.

It sounds like some kind of networking issue. Are you sure you don't have pyhme running twice, or perhaps something else competing for the same port number? The error message you mention does not come from my code.
I guess the "http" could be a networking error as I do have two NICs in my machine. I've changed the ip in the vidmgr.ini and see if the http error goes away.

However, changing the IP doesn't have any impact on why vidmgr would show the pytivo share and the vidmgr shares but not the files inside them. The files continue to show up fine in pytivo.

Additional thoughts would be appreciated.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #540
jbernardis

vidmgr does not actually read the disk in real time - everything it needs, it gets form the cache. Are you building your cache dynamically, or ahead of time? If ahead of time, are you building it on the same machine as where pyTivo is running? Does the cache building report how many files it found? Can you look at the cache to see if it makes sense? It's a large file, and it is encoded, but it's all in ascii so you can see filenames, etc in it. Do the filenames look correct or are they even there?

Did you check to see if there are any error messages in the pyhme log file? Sone have reported that standard output sometimes does not show up there - one suggestion is that it's a buffering issue. Try running pyhme in the foreground while you navigate on the tivo. See if you get any messages out there.

Hopefully this will give us some clues as to what's going on.