TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #481
cweb

2.0c works fine on my Mac, but not ver 2.0e. With 2.0e, vidmgr acts like everything is good and successfully done, but on the tivo I either get nothing or in the todo list it indicates that it will start the transfer after others are completed (there is nothing to complete and the transfer never starts). Restarting the Tivos doesn't help.

What might I need to do in v2.0e vs. 2.0c?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #482
bwall23

Does it push for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
Working! Uninstalled, then reinstalled all 64 bit - Python 2.7.2, PIL 1.1.7 and pywin32 build 216.

How can I get the filename to display in the info screen (when I press the remote info button). It appears I have recordings of shows where the metadata says they're an episode Title that they aren't and I need a way to identify what files they are. Would be nice to get filename.ext displayed. I tried editing the vidmgr.ini to include the following, but it didn't display the filename
Code:
# the next 4 options specify format information for the info screen that pops up
# when you press the info button. 
# specify a list of metadata tags for each.
#       default: metaignore=isEpisode isEpisodic
#                metafirst=title seriesTitle episodeTitle description
#                metaspacebefore=
#                metaspaceafter=
#
# metaignore=
metafirst=file title seriesTitle episodeTitle description
# metaspacebefore=
# metaspaceafter=
Also want to add that it appears it isn't parsing the pytivo.conf file correctly.
It errors out stating there is no port= line in my pytivo.conf, but there is.
Code:
port = 9032
I had to add this line in vidmgr.ini to stop the error
Code:
pytivo1.port=9032
pyTiVo pushes to both my TiVos, but vidmgr does not. The eye candy is extremely nice, I really like the HD I/F and power of group/sort using metadata (what I thought WIN7 libraries could do for me, but don't), but it fails the basics trying to push to both my tivos. Needs some work. Not sure if it's in the documentation department or the coding department, but it doesn't work as advertised for me.
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #483
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
........ Needs some work. Not sure if it's in the documentation department or the coding department, but it doesn't work as advertised for me.
"As Advertised" ?? This is freeware. Don't recall seeing any advertisements.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #484
bwall23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
"As Advertised" ?? This is freeware. Don't recall seeing any advertisements.
OK jbernardis/dlfl. I thought this was the OP's (jbernardis) thread. RU He or just answering for he?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #485
lrhorer

Quote:
How can I get the filename to display in the info screen (when I press the remote info button).
The easiest way would be to add a metafield for the filename. A simple script could go through and add the filename to every metafile. Something like this:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
while read fileName
do
   [[ -a "$fileName.txt" ]] && ! grep -q "$fileName" "fileName.txt" && ( echo "fileName : $fileName" >> "$fileName.txt" )
done < <(find /RAID/Recordings -name "*.mp[4g]")
Something similar can be written for cmd.exe, if one doesn't have bash.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #486
lrhorer

Quote:
pyTiVo pushes to both my TiVos, but vidmgr does not. The eye candy is extremely nice, I really like the HD I/F and power of group/sort using metadata (what I thought WIN7 libraries could do for me, but don't), but it fails the basics trying to push to both my tivos. Needs some work. Not sure if it's in the documentation department or the coding department, but it doesn't work as advertised for me.
You haven't posted any of the relevant lines from vidmgr.ini. Please do so. In the mean time, here are the relevant lines from my vidmgr.ini:

Code:
[tivos]
tivo1.name=LivingRoom
tivo1.tsn=648-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz
tivo2.name=Theater
tivo2.tsn=648-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz
tivo3.name=TiVoHD
tivo3.tsn=652-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz

[pytivos]
pytivo1.config=/usr/share/pyTivo/pyTivo.conf
pytivo1.ip=192.168.1.50
pytivo1.port=9032
You must have at least 1 tivo with its name and TSN definied and at least 1 pyTivo server defined with its config file, IP address, and TCP/IP port.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #487
bwall23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
You haven't posted any of the relevant lines from vidmgr.ini. Please do so. In the mean time, here are the relevant lines from my vidmgr.ini:

Code:
[tivos]
tivo1.name=LivingRoom
tivo1.tsn=648-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz
tivo2.name=Theater
tivo2.tsn=648-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz
tivo3.name=TiVoHD
tivo3.tsn=652-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz

[pytivos]
pytivo1.config=/usr/share/pyTivo/pyTivo.conf
pytivo1.ip=192.168.1.50
pytivo1.port=9032
You must have at least 1 tivo with its name and TSN definied and at least 1 pyTivo server defined with its config file, IP address, and TCP/IP port.
Thanks lrhorer, I got it working now. The problem occurred because I followed the instructions in the vidmgr.ini file for configuration. The instructions state you have to provide the ip address of the pc running pytivo, well I put that in there but when I tested it had received a different ip via dhcp. Since both pytivo and vidmgr are running on the same pc, I simply commented out the line # pytivo1.ip=192.168.1.101

working vidmgr.ini
Code:
[vidmgr]
exts=.avi .flv .mp4 .mpg .tivo .wmv
metafirst=episodeTitle file description
deleteallowed=False
display=episodeTitle file
sharepage=False
usefileid=False

[tivos]
tivo1.name=TiVo1
tivo1.tsn=746-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz
tivo2.name=TiVo2
tivo2.tsn=652-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz

[pytivos]
pytivo1.config=C:\PyTiVo\pytivo.conf
# pytivo1.ip=192.168.1.101
pytivo1.port=9032

Old 11-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #488
lrhorer

Quote:
Thanks lrhorer, I got it working now.
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
The instructions state you have to provide the ip address of the pc running pytivo, well I put that in there but when I tested it had received a different ip via dhcp. Since both pytivo and vidmgr are running on the same pc, I simply commented out the line # pytivo1.ip=192.168.1.101
Automatically setting any IP via DHCP (or whatever) on a server is a really bad idea. Servers of any sort should have a static IP (except for an X-server).
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #489
bwall23

Quote:
Automatically setting any IP via DHCP (or whatever) on a server is a really bad idea. Servers of any sort should have a static IP (except for an X-server).
I'm aware of that. I don't run any dedicated server, it's my pc I'm using for pytivo and vidmgr. I only use them occasionaly when I want to access the vids on my external drives from one of my tivos. The point I was trying to make is that the instructions are misleading. If you have both pytivo and vidmgr running on the same pc you don't need to specifiy the ip in the vidmgr.ini file.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #490
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm aware of that. I don't run any dedicated server, it's my pc I'm using for pytivo and vidmgr. I only use them occasionaly when I want to access the vids on my external drives from one of my tivos.
It doesn't matter if it is dedicated, or not. Of course you are free to do whatever you like. It's your PC. It's just that problems just like the one you encountered are highly likely if one does not have a static IP for any server, dedicated or otherwise.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that the instructions are misleading. If you have both pytivo and vidmgr running on the same pc you don't need to specifiy the ip in the vidmgr.ini file.
That's not future proof. It could easily quit working with a new release. A better work-around would be to set the IP address to "localhost". I'll leave it to jbernardis to address the issue of the documentation.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #491
bwall23

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it is dedicated, or not. Of course you are free to do whatever you like. It's your PC. It's just that problems just like the one you encountered are highly likely if one does not have a static IP for any server, dedicated or otherwise.
Appreciate your concern and help, but I was instrumental implementing a couple RFC's, so know about DHCP and servers.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #492
bwall23

Quote:
The easiest way would be to add a metafield for the filename. A simple script could go through and add the filename to every metafile. Something like this:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
while read fileName
do
   [[ -a "$fileName.txt" ]] && ! grep -q "$fileName" "fileName.txt" && ( echo "fileName : $fileName" >> "$fileName.txt" )
done < <(find /RAID/Recordings -name "*.mp[4g]")
Something similar can be written for cmd.exe, if one doesn't have bash.
Thanks, could do that, but it's not gonna happen. I'm not about to mod a couple thousand meta files when an app could do what I want. If not this app, then another.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #493
lrhorer

Quote:
Thanks, could do that, but it's not gonna happen. I'm not about to mod a couple thousand meta files when an app could do what I want. If not this app, then another.
That makes no sense whatsoever:

1. It's not like running such a script is difficult or time consuming, or requires anything whatsoever of the user. The user doesn't even have to run the script. It can be run under a cron job (or under the Windows scheduler, if it is a Windows machine).

2. It's not like modifying the metafiles has any detrimental effect on the files or any application that uses them.

3. "You" wouldn't be modifying the files. The script would.

4. It has to be this app, which means getting jbernardis to code your request. It's not a terribly difficult thing to code, but that's up to him. It can't be some other app that displays the file name when you press <Info> in the vidmgr menu.

5. Adding a metafield to the metafiles is a much simpler, cleaner, more portable, and more readily controlled method than modifying an app for the purpose. The result can be tailored specifically to suit the user's taste.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-10-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #494
tastyratz

Is there any kind of actual start to finish guide on setting this up for new users? I feel like I need to be a seasoned progammer to get this to work. I want this application badly and spent probably the better part of 3 hours trying to figure it out last night. I am hardly incapable or computarded, but the documentation revolving around it all I feel is severely lacking with gaping holes. Everything assumes you already setup python apps all the time!

I certainly am not one to demand spoonfeeding, but why is it I feel the whole thing could easily be "setup" from someone repackaging the python directory into a zip file, with only a config file to edit and point to media locations?
Hell it took me half of that time to even figure out why pyhme was!

Am I missing something? why no step by step?
tastyratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #495
windracer
joined the 10k club

vidmgr is an add-on for pyTivo, so you'll need that running first.

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

After you have pyTivo working, check out the README file in the vidmgr download for the steps to set it up.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #496
jcthorne

tastyraz has a point though. A wiki page with step by step set up instructions specific to windows like we have for pytivo would be helpful to new users. Perhaps even an example ini file. Just thinking out loud, I really don't have time to tackle it right now but perhaps one of these days.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #497
tastyratz

oh it DOES require pytivo ok, I couldn't really tell from what I was reading I gathered it as a replacement. I will work on getting pytivo setup then.

I would definitely love an example ini file, I was surprised to even not find one banked or commented out. I am sure there are many things that can be added or configured that aren't even mentioned.

so to recap:
I have to get python installed as well as ffmpeg
then install and configure wmcbrine pytivo
then wmcbrine pyhme
then vidmgr

Some have 32 and some 64 bit installs. I currently run windows 7 64 bit. Should I be pointing to 64 bit ffmpeg? Are there any other gotchas I could run into?

I'm setting up the folder structure as follows or do they requires a different subdirectory/nested layout:
pytivo C:\Python27\wmcbrine\
ffmpeg exe's C:\Python27\wmcbrine\bin\32\ (or 64?)
pyhme C:\Python27\pyhme
vidmgr C:\Python27\pyhme\vidmgr

To get this to work I will need to edit the appropriate pytivo.conf, the config.ini.
Then I will have to... launch pytivo.py as well as start.py for pyhme which auto kicks off vidmgr?

I am trying to do this remotely so I can use it on my tv when I get home.
I setup my pyhme config as follows (with desktop being the computer name):
Quote:
[hmeserver]
apps=vidmgr

[tivos]
tivo1.name=TivoS3
tivo1.tsn=TivoS3

[pytivos]
pytivo1.config=C:\Python27\wmcbrine\pyTivo.conf
pytivo1.ip=desktop
pytivo1.port=9033
pytivo1.sep=\
when I launch start.py I am getting an error that says it is skipping vidmgr no module named image.

Last edited by tastyratz : 11-11-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #498
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyratz View Post
.......Some have 32 and some 64 bit installs. I currently run windows 7 64 bit. Should I be pointing to 64 bit ffmpeg? Are there any other gotchas I could run into?
Recommend either ALL 32 bit or ALL 64 bit to avoid incompatibilities. My preference is all 32-bit because those versions are more commonly available and I suspect they get more development and testing effort. Theoretically 64-bit ffmpeg encoding should go a little faster but I'm not sure what actually is achieved.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #499
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
You can get 64-bit versions of x264.exe and ffmpeg.exe. Not sure what you use to transcode (besides VRD, if anything). I have done very little straight transcoding (always process with avisynth), but with 64-bit avisynth and 64-bit x264, I could see ~10% higher conversion speeds. 64-bit avisynth wasn't particularly stable though, so I reverted back to 32-bit.
I saw about the same. Also without a 64bit version of dgindexNV my difference with the 64bit x264 was less than a 5% improvement. And FAR less stablity. One recode after failur an hour into a recode nixes a LOT of slightly faster code.

I too went back to 32bit for everything on the encoding. Besides, my corporate laptop is still stuck running XP so this way everything runs the same kit.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #500
bwall23

Quote:
when I launch start.py I am getting an error that says it is skipping vidmgr no module named image.
You need P.I.L. I've got it working after installing Python 2.7.2, PIL 1.1.7 and pywin32 build 216 on Win7-64
Old 11-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #501
tastyratz

oh ok I thought I didn't need that unless I wanted pictures (didn't care for em)
I just tried to install it an it just tells me it cant find python in the registry then wont let me continue.
I also see pywin32 for 32 or for 64. Since the name is python 32 I am assuming its 32 bit extensions, so does that mean 64 is the right choice here or 32 since I will just stick to 32?
bwall; which did you install
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #502
bwall23

Quote:
oh ok I thought I didn't need that unless I wanted pictures (didn't care for em)
I just tried to install it an it just tells me it cant find python in the registry then wont let me continue.
I also see pywin32 for 32 or for 64. Since the name is python 32 I am assuming its 32 bit extensions, so does that mean 64 is the right choice here or 32 since I will just stick to 32?
bwall; which did you install
Both, go back a page and start reading at post#469. You have to modify your registry if you want to install the 32 bit PIL. I have no problems installing and using all 64 bit.
Don't let the name pywin32 fool you. It's basically win32 file extensions but is available compiled for either 32 or 64 bit.
The key is you have to have all three packages I mentioned matching. All three 32 bit or all three 64 bit.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #503
jbernardis

Quote:
How can I get the filename to display in the info screen (when I press the remote info button).
The info screen only displays what is in the metadata file. If there is not a tag "file : name" in your file, then adding "file" to the list of metatags will have no affect.

You COULD say display=file in your vidmgr.ini and the filename will be used on the navigation lists where you normally see the titles. This would give you what you want long enough to debug and then you could switch it back.

Alternatively, I could put the filename into the meta data if people want that. The only thing it would affect would be the info screen, and I could make the default action be to ignore it.

Quote:
Also want to add that it appears it isn't parsing the pytivo.conf file correctly.
It errors out stating there is no port= line in my pytivo.conf...
Here is the line of code that parses the port out of your pytivo config file:
Code:
if pyconfig.has_option('Server', 'port') : port = pyconfig.get('Server', 'port')
the port MUST be inside the Server section of the config file.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #504
jcthorne

jbernardis,

Have you given any thought to expanding vidmgr to handle audio files? Would be very nice if it could display albums etc and sort by artist, album etc just like it does for videos. Then play the requested track, album or playlist. Essentially replacing what harmonium does with a python ap and menu system consistant with vidmgr which I might add does a VERY nice job with video.

Doing this would make it possible to move the music functions over to a NAS box running python rather than needing a pc.

Just a hope that you might be interested in a project that needs your touch.

Thanks,

jcthorne

Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #505
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Have you given any thought to expanding vidmgr to handle audio files? ...
I HAVE thought about it, and have even toyed around with it, but it would be a very different beast. Vidmgr does not actually play and video - it relies on pytivo to do the pushing. What you are asking for is a streamer. It's possible to do - yes, but it is not just a "simple" extension to vidmgr.

BTW - apparently I feel the same way as you do. I love (and use) Harmonium, but I run pytivo and vidmgr on my NAS and I'd like to run Harmonium there too. But I don't have a JRE there and I am reluctant to find and install one. It would be so much simpler if it was in python.

Also - thanks for the kind words!!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #506
jcthorne

I knew it was not a simple task. Glad to know you are considering it. Thats more than I can do.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #507
bwall23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
The info screen only displays what is in the metadata file. If there is not a tag "file : name" in your file, then adding "file" to the list of metatags will have no affect.

You COULD say display=file in your vidmgr.ini and the filename will be used on the navigation lists where you normally see the titles. This would give you what you want long enough to debug and then you could switch it back.

Alternatively, I could put the filename into the meta data if people want that. The only thing it would affect would be the info screen, and I could make the default action be to ignore it.
No big deal, I'm not going to modify thousands of medadata text files. kmttg creates them when I pull them from my TiVos. Just thought if it was an easy mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Here is the line of code that parses the port out of your pytivo config file:
Code:
if pyconfig.has_option('Server', 'port') : port = pyconfig.get('Server', 'port')
the port MUST be inside the Server section of the config file.
Here's my complete pytivo.conf (edited [#] for privacy);
Code:
[MyVideos]
force_alpha = True
type = video
path = V:\Videos

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[Server]
beacon = 192.168.1.255
ffmpeg = C:\kmttg\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe
ffmpeg_pram = -threads 4
port = 9032
tdcat = C:\kmttg\tivodecode\tdcat.exe
tivo_mak = ##########
tivo_password = ##########
tivo_username = ##########
tivodecode = C:\kmttg\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe
togo_path = MyVideos
And vidmgr.ini;
Code:
#
# vidmgr.ini is the global options file - it belongs in the vidmgr directory under pyhme
#
[vidmgr]
exts=.avi .flv .mp4 .mpg .tivo .wmv
metafirst=title episodeTitle fileName description
metamergefiles=True
deleteallowed=False
display=episodeTitle file
sharepage=False
usefileid=False
[tivos]
tivo1.name=TiVo1
tivo1.tsn=746############
tivo2.name=TiVo2
tivo2.tsn=652############
[pytivos]
pytivo1.config=C:\PyTiVo\pytivo.conf
pytivo1.port=9032
P.S. THANKS for the Great app, LOVE IT!

Last edited by bwall23 : 11-15-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: add vidmgr.ini
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #508
jcthorne

Web browser view of vidmgr?

Any way for a web browser to see what vidmgr presents on tivo? Or could this be added?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #509
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Any way for a web browser to see what vidmgr presents on tivo? Or could this be added?
This would be a totally different app - different life cycle, different method of invocation. It could be done, but it would be a completely new program.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #510
jbernardis

Quote:
Here's my complete pytivo.conf (edited [#] for privacy);

And vidmgr.ini;
Thanks bwall23 for persisting with this. There most definitely was a problem. When I was restructuring some code earlier I forgot to move where I tested for the port number. Should be fixed now.

Version 2.0f is up on github (see my signature)