Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #241
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
What are you watching it on? The quality on my AppleTV is great compared to say, my TiVo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I watch on my Panasonic Viera and it looks fabulous. I've done a side by side comparison between my 16:9 DVD's and Netflix, and Netflix looks much better. That said, I haven't compared a Blu-ray to Netflix.

Greg
I have a Panny Viera as well. I'm streaming it through my PS3 so I can take advantage of my home theater setup instead of having the Panny stream it directly (and then I only get the TV speakers). The quality of the video is bad either way. I was actually wondering if you need to pay more for HD or something.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #242
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I have a Panny Viera as well. I'm streaming it through my PS3 so I can take advantage of my home theater setup instead of having the Panny stream it directly (and then I only get the TV speakers). The quality of the video is bad either way. I was actually wondering if you need to pay more for HD or something.
Netflix will generally serve HD when it can (which in my experience is most of the time, assuming the source material is available that way), but it will down-res the stream depending on conditions on their end or yours. Could be that you've tried to watch at a coincidentally bad time. (And what's your data speed?)

You can also double-check your preferences. Under Your Account on the Netflix website, click Manage Video Quality and make sure you don't have a lower setting checked.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #243
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I watched some episodes of prior seasons on Amazon. They never were in HD when streaming from my PS3. Most other things are (though, of late, it does drop out of HD sometimes). I assumed they weren't in HD. Kind of surprised to hear they are.

I re-watched about 6 episodes this past weekend. I noticed a few things more, but they aren't quite as rich on second viewing as the original series was.

I also notice that they did some tricky editing or re-shooting. Some conversations have just a few sentences or moments and then in later episodes they are expanded. e.g.

Spoiler:

Michael's conversation with GOB about the bad hypothetical example of homosexuality.

Last edited by TAsunder : 06-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #244
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
As originally broadcast, no, it wasn't in HD. FOX didn't begin broadcasting in HD until 2004, AD's second season, and even then it was only limited programming such as the NFL game of the week. AD didn't become available in HD until after the show was off the air.
So are you saying the it was shot in HD, but broadcast in SD?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #245
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
So are you saying the it was shot in HD, but broadcast in SD?
I would assume that it was shot on 35mm film, and therefore able to be scanned in later in high definition.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #246
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I would assume that it was shot on 35mm film, and therefore able to be scanned in later in high definition.
I guess you mean 35mm film stock which is 16:9 as opposed to standard 35mm which is 4:3. I haven't seen any episodes that appear 16:9. Is that what people are watching from Netflix? And it is not stretched? That is the real aspect ratio?

When did they start using film again? I just assumed all sitcoms were taped. Formerly on video tape and now perhaps right to computer disk.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #247
cherry ghost

I think HDNet used to have it in HD and that's where the 720p torrents came from
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #248
cwoody222

I have all 3 of the original DVD box set releases (first season was released in 2004) and they're all 16:9.

I didn't have an HD set when they were first aired so I don't know if they aired in HD but at least the DVDs have been 16:9 for almost a decade.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #249
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

This reminds me of my initial impression of AD. I remember watching a couple episodes and not liking it. A year later, a coworker was watching the show off DVD and talked and talked about how great it was. So, I went back and started watching from the beginning again. For some reason, it clicked this second time. I think I've watched the entire first 3 seasons 3 times now. Half way through my second viewing of season 4.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #250
GoHalos

Street Fighter video game, Arrested Development style

Youtube link
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #251
hefe
Rebus Philbin

"'Arrested Development' is 'definitely' coming back, says series creator Mitch Hurwitz"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/27/45...series-creator

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #252
GoHalos

Awesome!
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #253
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
If they can get the whole cast together again
Quote:
the streaming video company was in talks to produce another season
One person on one side saying "definitely" doesn't seem very definite to me considering it's very early and there are a lot of ifs.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #254
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Does anyone know how to get the 'morphinapg version' of season 4? He took the mixed up jumble that was given to us and re-edited them into a logical order. These are actual edits, not just watching them in a different order.

All the links are dead on reddit, but someone out there has to have them available somehow.

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecthotme...chronological/
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #255
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Does anyone know how to get the 'morphinapg version' of season 4? He took the mixed up jumble that was given to us and re-edited them into a logical order. These are actual edits, not just watching them in a different order.

All the links are dead on reddit, but someone out there has to have them available somehow.

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecthotme...chronological/
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8537461

Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #256
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Interesting this thread would pop up now. With the second season of House of Cards coming out, it reminded me that I never finished watching S4 of AD, so I've been watching it this week, and now just have two episodes left.

I would love to see the more chronological version for story continuity, but I think it would take away from some of the humor that is inherent in the way the story is told from all the different angles.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #257
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Yay! I am excited now to watch them all in this new order to see if it makes more sense than the original.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #258
DUDE_NJX

Is the original that hard to follow? I'm ashamed to admit, I never watched the last season
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #259
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Is the original that hard to follow? I'm ashamed to admit, I never watched the last season
This was the problem:

-------

Originally, the new episodes of Arrested Development were conceived as something of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" series for fans: Creator Mitch Hurwitz said we’d be able to watch the new episodes on Netflix any which way we pleased and in any order.

Then, last week, after he wrapped the final mix on all fifteen new episodes, he said, scratch that, never mind, please watch sequentially!

And, before the shows go live Sunday at 12:01 a.m., PST, he’s intent on making sure everyone knows he has redacted his earlier strategy. “I’m really doing everything I can to put out that misconception that it can be watched in any order,” Hurwitz told Vulture during an interview Tuesday. “Although I really did have that ambition at one point.”

---

So they filmed it with the intention of being able to watch them as stand-alone episodes, but once they were done realized that wouldn't work so they came up with an order we should watch them that they thought made sense. And because they were filmed as stand-alones, it came off to a lot of us very disjointed.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/mitch...velopment.html
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #260
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I watched 3 of the new episodes and I didn't like them. For some reason, they just didn't feel right to me so I stopped watching. I'll probably revisit eventually.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #261
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I watched 3 of the new episodes and I didn't like them. For some reason, they just didn't feel right to me so I stopped watching. I'll probably revisit eventually.
I didn't finish, though I made farther than three episodes. I think I only have the last one to go, but I have zero desire to watch it. There were lots of funny moments and it was great to see these characters again, but it just didn't work for me.
DougF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #262
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
This was the problem:

-------

Originally, the new episodes of Arrested Development were conceived as something of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" series for fans: Creator Mitch Hurwitz said we’d be able to watch the new episodes on Netflix any which way we pleased and in any order.

Then, last week, after he wrapped the final mix on all fifteen new episodes, he said, scratch that, never mind, please watch sequentially!

And, before the shows go live Sunday at 12:01 a.m., PST, he’s intent on making sure everyone knows he has redacted his earlier strategy. “I’m really doing everything I can to put out that misconception that it can be watched in any order,” Hurwitz told Vulture during an interview Tuesday. “Although I really did have that ambition at one point.”

---

So they filmed it with the intention of being able to watch them as stand-alone episodes, but once they were done realized that wouldn't work so they came up with an order we should watch them that they thought made sense. And because they were filmed as stand-alones, it came off to a lot of us very disjointed.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/mitch...velopment.html
I don't really think it had anything to do with filming to be standalones and then editing them to be watched in a certain order. You could still watch the first ten or so in pretty much any order, although they each progressively reveal a couple more things, so you might already know something that would have been more humorous if revealed in the proper sequence.

For those that haven't watched, the story is told in a very disjointed manner, and each episode focuses on one particular character, but within each episode, the characters interact with each other. So for example, we might see a scene in a Lindsay episode where she goes to the penthouse and sees her family, and we see the parts of that meeting that are relevant to the Lindsay story. Then later, we see a scene in a GOB episode where he goes to that same meeting and we now see a little more of the meeting because now we're getting GOB's side of the story. And what you learn in the GOB version informs something that you learned in the Lindsay episode. And it makes the Lindsay episode funnier in retrospect, whereas revealing that info directly in the Lindsay episode may not have been as funny.

So when you take that type of construction and spread it out over 15 episodes, it means that we've seen certain scenes multiple times, each time revealing a little more of the story. And we've gone forward and back through the five-year period of this story at least a dozen times. It's incredibly complex and very inventive. I have to give Mitch Hurwitz credit for how much time and effot he put in to get this all so tight.

But having said that, I think they just tried way too hard to make it different and intricate, and by doing so, they lost some of the charm of the original structure. But because of the way this was conceive and written, I think it would be worse if told in a more chronological narrative.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #263
Zevida
witless and unarmed

They did an ensemble show without the ensemble. That was the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote