TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
pjenkins
God bless Texas :)

iZombie - The Exterminator - OAD 03/31/15

Heard the ratings are up and looking good for iZombie, and this last episode was the best of the 3 to me so far. I really like how they are incorporating her brain eating with her personality and it taking her over / how she struggles with it, and the realization that her friend was beyond gone and she had to kill her was well done (though the ME falling into the pit was so predictable )

pjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am liking this show more and more each week. Liv is just a fun character and I give a lot of credit to Rose McIver and her ability to act on the different emotions related to the brains she is eating.

It is interesting that Liv is finding out more and more about Zombies.

(And I have had a crush on Aly Michalka since I saw her in Easy A)

TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
BrettStah

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm glad we stumbled across this show. The whole family is liking it...

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

There was something about the names of the two dead guys that kept nagging me until right before the episode ended. Wally Walker and Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster were NBA players. They both played for the Seattle Supersonics in 1977.

Live well and prosper
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
danterner
Not it!

I wonder if it was pure coincidence that his last name was "Walker," or whether they chose that surname tongue-in-cheek and then went for Wally and then from there to Marvin.

Overall this episode didn't really hold my interest. I'm finding that I'm not really enjoying the mystery-of-the-week aspect of each show as much as I'm enjoying all the incidental stuff. Her interactions with Blaine, her interactions with her family/friends and the ME and the detective, her personality changes depending upon the consumption of the brain, and the testing of Marcie are all more interesting to me than the weekly whodunnit. The crime solving has felt like a distraction. I've felt that way each episode so far, which I recognize is a problem for me because the show's central conceit is that she solves crimes. Maybe it's just not the show for me. I did like Veronica Mars, though, so I'm surprised that this isn't working for me. Maybe I just need to be more patient and wait for an overall story arc to develop some more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

That's interesting, to me the crime-of-the-week is pretty incidental...just a plot to hang all the good stuff on.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

It's best to not think to hard about the crime of the week stuff since it's pretty absurd. I mean, nobody wondered why the assistant ME was in the room during the incredibly stupid murderer's interrogations?

Live well and prosper
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
BrettStah

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
It's best to not think to hard about the crime of the week stuff since it's pretty absurd. I mean, nobody wondered why the assistant ME was in the room during the incredibly stupid murderer's interrogations?
I love that TV trope... if the show is about crime scene investigators, then they're magically part of most suspect interviews, police raids, etc. If the show it about medical examiners ("Forever", and now "iZombie"), they they are part of the police stuff.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Andrew_S

Rose McIver has been very, very good on this show. Can't believe they've managed to find someone that can pull off this role as well as Kristen Bell did in Veronica Mars. She's funny, she's subtle and expressive. Girl has a future in this. Maybe it's the writing, but if you just watch her... she's been fantastic.

Andrew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_S View Post
Maybe it's the writing, but if you just watch her... she's been fantastic.
The writing helps (hell, it's necessary), but she still has to have the chops to pull it off. And she does, in spades.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I too thought this was a really solid episode. Rob Thomas has a real skill with this kind of tone. The mystery of the week in this one was well-constructed, and the zombie stuff going on around it was interesting and just the right amount of disturbing. Good fun overall. And I agree they have a real star in McIver. She's just nailing the comic, dramatic, melodramatic, and sad notes all around.

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Peter000

Quote:
Rose McIver has been very, very good on this show. Can't believe they've managed to find someone that can pull off this role as well as Kristen Bell did in Veronica Mars. She's funny, she's subtle and expressive. Girl has a future in this. Maybe it's the writing, but if you just watch her... she's been fantastic.
Sometimes a project/writer and actor just click. Like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"... Sarah Michelle Gellar hasn't done much of note since then. But she was magic in that particular show IMO.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I'm finding that I'm not really enjoying the mystery-of-the-week aspect of each show as much as I'm enjoying all the incidental stuff. Her interactions with Blaine, her interactions with her family/friends and the ME and the detective, her personality changes depending upon the consumption of the brain, and the testing of Marcie are all more interesting to me than the weekly whodunnit. The crime solving has felt like a distraction.
Spoilering for others, but danterner, you might want to read this:

Spoiler:
Rob Thomas said recently, in an interview with Alan Sepinwall at Hitfix (you can find it easily), that after the initial episodes, they start de-emphasizing the weekly mysteries in favor of zombie mythology stuff. So it sounds like you'll soon get a lot more of the parts you like.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Can't believe they've managed to find someone that can pull off this role as well as Kristen Bell did in Veronica Mars.
She's really good, but I'm not ready to declare her KB's equal yet.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
There was something about the names of the two dead guys that kept nagging me until right before the episode ended. Wally Walker and Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster were NBA players. They both played for the Seattle Supersonics in 1977.
Yep. Thomas was tweeting about this as the episode aired. He was pretty tickled that some people caught the references.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Agreed about Rose McIver - my only prior experience with her was on Masters of Sex, and while she was nice to look at on that show, she didn't really give any indication that she could carry her own show. She's been quite the revelation.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
She's really good, but I'm not ready to declare her KB's equal yet.
I think McIver is a better actor, although Bell is more engaging...

Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #18
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Spoilering for others, but danterner, you might want to read this: * SPOILER *
Thank you!

| Twitter:
Old 04-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #19
StacieH
betativowho??

I want to like "iZombie." I really, really do. I don't hate it, but I'm not liking it, either. I still have a season pass, but I'm not sure for how long.

StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #20
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
How dare you.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:53 AM   #21
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
The writing helps (hell, it's necessary), but she still has to have the chops to pull it off. And she does, in spades.
And way hotter as zombie than normal person. At least in this show.

-smak-

smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #22
Beryl

I can hardly believe I'm liking a show on this network.

Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I can hardly believe I'm liking a show on this network.
If I were to look at the list of shows I currently watch and enjoy, the CW would probably dominate it. At the moment there's:

iZombie
The Flash
Arrow
Supernatural
The 100

I also watched The Vampire Diaries for a good few seasons but lapsed around the time it spun off The Originals.

I think the network is one of the frontrunners for supporting this type of genre TV. The casts may skew young and pretty, but the shows generally have good production value and the network supports them and gives them time to find their footing.

| Twitter:
Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

I think the network is one of the frontrunners for supporting this type of genre TV. The casts may skew young and pretty, but the shows generally have good production value and the network supports them and gives them time to find their footing.
Y'know, having casts that skew young and pretty is a GOOD thing, a damn good thing, at least to this old fart. Keeps me tuning in to see the pretty girls. Well, that, and the pretty girls have some decent stories, too.

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #25
The Spud
Rather be cruising

Quote:
As did Freddy Brown and Gus Williams who were also mentioned.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
stellie93

So a zombie will retain his humanity and his "brain" if he feeds regularly, but turns into the classic moaning and shambling around zombie if he goes long enough without brains? And it's not reversible. Or after some period of time it's not. Have we seen this kind of zombie lore before?

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #27
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
So a zombie will retain his humanity and his "brain" if he feeds regularly, but turns into the classic moaning and shambling around zombie if he goes long enough without brains? And it's not reversible. Or after some period of time it's not. Have we seen this kind of zombie lore before?
Something with a similar concept: Warm Bodies

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #28
pjenkins
God bless Texas :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
yep, Loved that movie

pjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #29
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Comic book spoilers, likely to be irrelevant to the show, but you never know:

Spoiler:
The comic was big in the concept of oversouls & undersouls. A zombie is a body without an oversoul, a vampire is a body without an undersoul, a ghost is an oversoul without a body, and a poltergeist was an undersoul without a body. People could also be possessed by undersouls or oversouls. Gwen (Liv) had both an oversoul and an undersoul.

realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #30
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Well she is English so doesn't that automatically make her a better actor? LOL

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote