Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Shameless S4E06 "Iron City" OAD 2014-02-16 ***spoilers***

OK, then.

Kudos for skipping the usual "Women/Men in prison 'Who be my b*?" trope. The guard was more decent to Fiona than they are in real life. NTTIKABT

It's a real out of character stretch for:
  • Lip to be P-Od at Fiona for dropping the ball on Liam's accident. I think he knows what a great job she does in a tough life.
  • Fiona's boss steps up to bail her out - and not just firing her? He has to still have feeling for her. Wait until he figures out that his brother supplied the coke.
With the "nobody saw Liam" thing, are they leading up to some sinister hand?

It sure looks like they're going to let Frank die in this season of "The Game of Gallaghers." Shameless would still be viable after Frank is gone.

"It was a one night deal. Oh. She had a nice chest? Maybe your mom wasn't the one on the washer."

This is the BF. This is your other sister. This is your nephew.
"Liam is black?" she asks the one guy who is also shocked.

FELONY possession? Talk about economic inequity. If Fiona had lived 5 miles closer to the lake she wouldn't even have been arrested.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
john4200

Someone predicted (in last weeks thread) that Frank would agree to give custody away in exchange for a piece of Fiona's liver. I cannot see that happening since all Fiona would have to do is wait for him to die and then he obviously loses custody (if not sooner, if they reported him as terminally ill).

But the scenario could work if we changed it slightly. Fiona loses custody, Frank is not considered fit due to his terminal illness (ignore the other reasons), so the kids are going to be sent to foster care. Fiona could donate part of her liver to Frank as the least bad choice to prevent the kids from going to foster care. In reality, Frank would not be any real kind of parent, but at least with his name on the paperwork the kids could (maybe) stay together. Although I guess Lip may have to drop out of college to earn money for them until Fiona gets out of jail.

I'm not sure why Fiona did not give up the guy who left the cocaine at her house. Maybe it was just a reflex "no ratting" code, but considering that he ratted her out (to his brother), I'd say turnabout is fair play. And if it helps get her shorter or no jail time so she can help the kids, all the better.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Gerryex

Another great episode! So far I think this season has been quite good and I'm really enjoying it!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
mooseAndSquirrel

I totally get Lip's anger. He was just starting to see his way out of the s-hole, and now he's being pulled back in.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Another great episode! So far I think this season has been quite good and I'm really enjoying it!!

Gerry
I agree I think this is Emmy Rossum's best season so far.

I get why Lip is angry but he is really struggling with being the "good one" with all the weight on his shoulders. Then this happens and he cannot trust Fiona to handle things at home. I think he will get over it. Kevin as always is the rock and the moral compass on this show.

I don' think they are trying to set up something sinister for the fact no one saw Liam. I think it was just a freak accident that there will be dire consequences for.

I was hoping as soon as Scott Grimes came in as Frank's doctor his name would be Archie Morris. Would have been a great tie in to ER and not a stretch since John Wells is a producer on Shameless.

Gamertag - mwhip

Last edited by mwhip : 02-18-2014 at 12:58 PM.
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Steve as always is the rock and the moral compass on this show.
Huh?

Steve is not even in this season (he may be dead). And I would hardly call him "the rock" or "the moral compass".
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Huh?

Steve is not even in this season (he may be dead). And I would hardly call him "the rock" or "the moral compass".
I meant Kevin and called the actor by his real name (Steve Howey).

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Someone predicted (in last weeks thread) that Frank would agree to give custody away in exchange for a piece of Fiona's liver. I cannot see that happening since all Fiona would have to do is wait for him to die and then he obviously loses custody (if not sooner, if they reported him as terminally ill).

But the scenario could work if we changed it slightly. Fiona loses custody, Frank is not considered fit due to his terminal illness (ignore the other reasons), so the kids are going to be sent to foster care. Fiona could donate part of her liver to Frank as the least bad choice to prevent the kids from going to foster care. In reality, Frank would not be any real kind of parent, but at least with his name on the paperwork the kids could (maybe) stay together. Although I guess Lip may have to drop out of college to earn money for them until Fiona gets out of jail.
I was wondering if Sheila (who had her home set up as a hospice for the dying nun) would end up taking care of Frank and the kids.

I almost thought they were going there with her looking so lonely in that empty house, and staring at Karen's old room. But then she packed up an headed off to the reservation; so who knows.

But I guess some variant of that scenario could work either short term while Frank dies, or longer term if he gets a liver and is convalescing. (If short term it'd basically be to buy time and keep the kids out of the foster system until get Lip could get set up as their legal guardian)
Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

What I'd like to know is if they will really kill off Frank?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
What I'd like to know is if they will really kill off Frank?
He has the $100,000 coming and maybe he does weasel into getting a liver.

Which, BTW, in this world, does Shiela even know that Frank staged an accident on her front steps? Ya know. Usually the homeowner has to contact the insurance company after being given notice of an injury claim.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
With the "nobody saw Liam" thing, are they leading up to some sinister hand?
I thought this was foreshadowed earlier in the episode/season when they showed Liam coming down the stairwell virtually undetected. It was like he was part of the background.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
I thought this was foreshadowed earlier in the episode/season when they showed Liam coming down the stairwell virtually undetected. It was like he was part of the background.
Ahhhh... You watch. The caseworkers will use that as reason to take the kids away. We already had the caseworker saying, "We need to schedule a home visit right away."
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Beryl

It was a good episode. Only thing I didn't see mentioned was that Lip finally got an acceptable grade.

(From last episode, Ian's old boyfriend sure does have a "type". Ian and the new boyfriend couldn't look more similar. )
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm surprised Fiona was so surprised nobody was home.

What with Liam in, y'know, THE HOSPITAL and all.

It looks like they're pretty clearly setting Lip up to be the new Fiona. I wonder if that will push Fiona a little further down the road to becoming the new Frank?

From the way they were talking about Frank's illness, I'm pretty sure he's way beyond being fixed by a new liver, or anything else.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
From the way they were talking about Frank's illness, I'm pretty sure he's way beyond being fixed by a new liver, or anything else.
Do we really think they will kill off Frank? My money (only 2 cents!) says that somehow he will get his new liver. Probably a piece of someone's that matches his. And yeah he still has a whole bunch of medical problems but I still think he won't die!

EDIT: Maybe the cliff hanger for this season will be him in the hospital waiting for a liver but we don't know if he gets one!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

are they just dropping clues to us that the new daughter isn't really his daughter or did they come right out and say it?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Do we really think they will kill off Frank? My money (only 2 cents!) says that somehow he will get his new liver. Probably a piece of someone's that matches his. And yeah he still has a whole bunch of medical problems but I still think he won't die!

EDIT: Maybe the cliff hanger for this season will be him in the hospital waiting for a liver but we don't know if he gets one!
But it's not just his liver...his organs are shutting down. Getting a new liver won't fix renal failure, etc.

I'm not sure where they're going with this (I don't really see the show without Frank), but from the jargon the doctor was spouting, I doubt very, very seriously he will be saved by a liver transplant.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
dimented
Comfortably Numb

Well, he is a Gallagher and they are a resilient type.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:

It looks like they're pretty clearly setting Lip up to be the new Fiona. I wonder if that will push Fiona a little further down the road to becoming the new Frank?

Yah, why was she expecting anybody to be home. And in fact, why did she get driven home instead of to the hospital?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
zalusky

Quote:
But it's not just his liver...his organs are shutting down. Getting a new liver won't fix renal failure, etc.

I'm not sure where they're going with this (I don't really see the show without Frank), but from the jargon the doctor was spouting, I doubt very, very seriously he will be saved by a liver transplant.
There is this little other thing about having to take expensive immunosupressants for the life of the transplant (which will be glossed over).
Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:

I was confused as to whether the doctor REALLY meant all that stuff about goodbye frank, and you're dying, or was he trying to "scare him straight"

It was kind of hard to tell.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I was confused as to whether the doctor REALLY meant all that stuff about goodbye frank, and you're dying, or was he trying to "scare him straight"

It was kind of hard to tell.
I think "As in it's time for you to select an urn or a casket." is not bluster.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
Jonathan_S

Quote:

Yes, but on the other hand it's probably still disconcerting to get home to an empty house and have no idea if the kids have all be hauled off to foster care.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
Dawghows

Quote:
(I don't really see the show without Frank)
Really? I'm hoping the kill him off.

Granted the only reason I watched S01E01 was because Macy was in it, but I think from day one Frank has been the least interesting character on the show, and Macy has been the least credible actor in the ensemble. My wife and I are big fans of his, but we remark after almost every episode that we're surprised and disappointed at what a poor job he does in this show.

Every other actor on the show seems totally believable and real in their part to me, but Macy seems almost cartoony as Frank. Pulls me out of the show almost every time he's in a scene.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #25
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
Every other actor on the show seems totally believable and real in their part to me, but Macy seems almost cartoony as Frank. Pulls me out of the show almost every time he's in a scene.
The US version as a whole is almost cartoony compared to the original UK show that actually knew the meaning of the word "shameless." David Threlfall was a much better Frank Gallagher.
Hearing that WH Macy was going to play Frank in the US version was a wtf you gotta be kidding eye-roll moment.
Lip is the only US Gallagher that I like better than his UK predecessor. The other characters aren't worse, they're just different.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #26
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The US version as a whole is almost cartoony compared to the original UK show that actually knew the meaning of the word "shameless." David Threlfall was a much better Frank Gallagher.
Hearing that WH Macy was going to play Frank in the US version was a wtf you gotta be kidding eye-roll moment.
Lip is the only US Gallagher that I like better than his UK predecessor. The other characters aren't worse, they're just different.
I only watched the 1st episode of the British version.
Can you give comparative examples why you think their Frank is better!

Last edited by zalusky : 02-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
zalusky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #27
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I only watched the 1st episode of the British version.

Can you give comparative examples why you their Frank better!

I watched a few UK episodes and don't think any of the actors are better -- just different. The production (filming, sets, etc.) is better in the US Shameless though.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #28
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I watched a few UK episodes and don't think any of the actors are better -- just different.
I have not seen any UK episodes, but I would be very surprised if Anne-Marie Duff is as much fun to watch as Emmy Rossum.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #29
Dawghows

Quote:
I have not seen any UK episodes, but I would be very surprised if Anne-Marie Duff is as much fun to watch as Emmy Rossum.
Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine a better Fiona than Emmy Rossum. Except for Macy, I think the entire US cast is incredibly good.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #30
mwhip
All better

I watched 3 or 4 of the British and it is just different. I do like Emmy as Fiona but my complaint all along is that she is too pretty. Even when they try to make her look ugly she is still really pretty. Fiona is not supposed to be pretty but the girl who gets by on her wits.

Gamertag - mwhip