TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Is Conan barfing?

NBC wanted to move Jay's 10pm show to 11:30 and shorten it to a half hour, leaving Conan's Tonight Show starting at midnight.

Conan said "No. That's not The Tonight Show. The Tonight Show doesn't start at midnight."

We know what happened.

Now, NBC has once again taken Jay off The Tongiht Show, and installed Fallon as its host.

He starts tonight.

Due to Olympics coverage, tho', local news won't start at 11pm. It'll start at 11:30.

When does Fallon's first Tonight Show start tonight?

Midnight.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Azlen

Permanent midnight is a bit different from a temporary later start time because the Olympics.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Permanent midnight is a bit different from a temporary later start time because the Olympics.

It's just ironic, tho'. Plus, how long do you think a half hour show with Jay would have lasted? They ended up putting him out to pasture anyway HOW long after the Conan mess? I mean, it hasn't been that long.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
NBC wanted to move Jay's 10pm show to 11:30 and shorten it to a half hour, leaving Conan's Tonight Show starting at midnight. Conan said "No. That's not The Tonight Show. The Tonight Show doesn't start at midnight." We know what happened. Now, NBC has once again taken Jay off The Tongiht Show, and installed Fallon as its host. He starts tonight. Due to Olympics coverage, tho', local news won't start at 11pm. It'll start at 11:30. When does Fallon's first Tonight Show start tonight? Midnight.
Did Johnny Carson say the same when they shortened the show from 90 minutes to an hour. No, that's not the Tonight Show. Conan was a fool.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Did Johnny Carson say the same when they shortened the show from 90 minutes to an hour. No, that's not the Tonight Show. Conan was a fool.
Conan's point was the start time, not the length. I don't know that Tonight would have been shortened.

Still, it's interesting that the midnight start time was his big thing, and here Fallon starts doing the show at that very hour.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Conan is laughing his backside off. He gets a chance for the Tonight Show viewers to sample Conan before Jimmy.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
GoPackGo

You're missing Conan's (well, his lawyer's really) point. His point was, NBC hired him to do the tonight show. He had a guaranteed contract for that. I haven't read Carter's book since it came out, so I don't remember whether that contract said the Tonight Show at 11:30, or simply the Tonight Show, but Conan's lawyers argued, successfully, that NBC owed Conan a ton of money if they were moving his show to 12, because a Tonight Show at 12 isn't really the Tonight Show
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
GoPackGo

Based on the title, I thought this thread would be about some rumor that Conan is bulimic.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Based on the title, I thought this thread would be about some rumor that Conan is bulimic.
That's why you read the thread's opening post, tho'. To find out what's meant by its snazzy, attention getting title.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

apples to oranges comparison - the olympics is drawing over 20 million viewers and a 5 to 6 18-49yo share nightly. sure, many will turn away after the nightly games broadcast ends, and it'd be more desireable to start immediately after the olympics conclusion, but i'm sure fallon is happy to start his new hosting gig following the 30 minute local news break, with whoever's left watching, whether it's 10, 11, or 12pm.

a note for those who decided not to watch the russian sochi olympics this year: the ratings are down 10% to 15% in total viewers compared to vancouver in 2010, and 15% to 20% in the 18-49yo demographic.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Did Johnny Carson say the same when they shortened the show from 90 minutes to an hour.
Not since that was his idea. (Also his idea to shorten it from 105 to 90 minutes years earlier.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
It's just ironic, tho'. Plus, how long do you think a half hour show with Jay would have lasted? They ended up putting him out to pasture anyway HOW long after the Conan mess? I mean, it hasn't been that long.
It's been four years since O'Brien walked from the Tonight Show.

I suspect though that this time, it wasn't so much that NBC wanted Leno out as Lorne Michaels wanted in.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
it wasn't so much that NBC wanted Leno out as Lorne Michaels wanted in.
Ding ding ding.

and elsewhere
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
You're missing Conan's (well, his lawyer's really) point. His point was, NBC hired him to do the tonight show. He had a guaranteed contract for that. I haven't read Carter's book since it came out, so I don't remember whether that contract said the Tonight Show at 11:30, or simply the Tonight Show, but Conan's lawyers argued, successfully, that NBC owed Conan a ton of money if they were moving his show to 12, because a Tonight Show at 12 isn't really the Tonight Show
Especially since there would be a show going on right before his, at the same time as the show called The Tonight Show would air, starring the guy who was most recently hosting a show called The Tonight Show.

So it's really unclear how anyone with any amount of intellectual honesty could say that Conan's show would be The Tonight Show without their soul rotting.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
JYoung
Series 3

Well, the show that was going to air at 11:35 was called, "The Jay Leno Show".

The show that was going to air at 12:05 was called "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien".

And IIRC, there was some language in the contract to allow for delaying the Tonight Show to 12:05 or so, due to things like football, the Olympics, etc.

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung : 02-17-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #16
Azlen

I still say that there's a world of difference between the midnight start time due to the Olympics and a permanent midnight start time with the Jay Leno show on before yours. I don't think the temporary midnight start this week is affecting Conan at all.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
NBC wanted to move Jay's 10pm show to 11:30 and shorten it to a half hour, leaving Conan's Tonight Show starting at midnight.

Conan said "No. That's not The Tonight Show. The Tonight Show doesn't start at midnight."

We know what happened.

Now, NBC has once again taken Jay off The Tongiht Show, and installed Fallon as its host.

He starts tonight.

Due to Olympics coverage, tho', local news won't start at 11pm. It'll start at 11:30.

When does Fallon's first Tonight Show start tonight?

Midnight.
OMG! Really? This is so unbelieveable! Why isn't this all over the news? The people should know!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
OMG! Really? This is so unbelieveable! Why isn't this all over the news? The people should know!
Haven't you finished shriveling up to nothing yet? We've been waiting so long...
Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Haven't you finished shriveling up to nothing yet? We've been waiting so long...
?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #20
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I still say that there's a world of difference between the midnight start time due to the Olympics and a permanent midnight start time with the Jay Leno show on before yours. I don't think the temporary midnight start this week is affecting Conan at all.
Well, it would have been only for 17 months or so.....

I believe that NBC's argument was that clause did allow that for as long as they liked.
I don't know what a judge would have said though.

That said, I agree with your second point. This doesn't affect O'Brien and I doubt he really cares.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #21
mattack

Quote:
Haven't fully read the thread yet (read posts before this one I'm replying to, skimmed the rest)..

He got $44 million IIRC due to being thrown off the Tonight Show... and a new show.

I'm not sure, I do sort of wonder what the alternate history would be if he had said yes to the demotion.

(Remember: The only one I watch in full _irregularly_(*) is Letterman. I Tivo the rest of the late night shows and FF through them for a few funny bits.. All of them, EVEN Leno, had some funny bits.)

(*) Though I have *tens* of them queued up. VLC is fixed nowadays, so I may start watching them at 2x on my iPad, and/or listen to just the audio as if a podcast, like I did long ago.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #22
ElJay

I assume TBS is barfing at 500k viewers in the demo.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #23
zalusky

I have only watched him once on TNT and that was for the walking dead episode.
Of course I am not in the demo but I have wondered what his ratings were?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #24
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Of course I am not in the demo but I have wondered what his ratings were?
I posted a link in the other thread to a Hollywood Reporter article which sums up the late night ratings.

Basically, O'Brien is last in total viewers (853,000) and second to last in demo of the eight late night hosts.
His audience does skew the youngest though.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Not to mention that a show that starts at 12:05 am shouldn't be called "Tonight," it should be called "Tomorrow." IIRC, that was one of the arguments his lawyers or PR people made at the time.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #26
TonyD79

Quote:
Never heard that. What a dumb ruling. I guess the Simpsons aren't the Simpsons because the show moved more than once.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Not since that was his idea. (Also his idea to shorten it from 105 to 90 minutes years earlier.)
Not really the point. The point is a show can change and still be the show.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #28
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/stat...36027914633219

"As the only man alive who’s hosted The Tonight Show & Late Night, I want to congratulate @JimmyFallon & @SethMeyers. They’ll both do great!"

and elsewhere
Old 02-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #29
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Me too!
I thought the walking dead homage sketch was pretty good but him as a host?
AWFUL.
I don't know how he has stayed on this long - his interviews with the cast were ridiculously bad.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #30
JohnB1000

Conan is great. Yesterday I read that his average viewer age is 38, while even Fallon's is 54 or something like that.