TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #31
debinoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
No, the Series 2 cannot use a cable card.
Thanks NRC....
debinoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #32
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by debinoh View Post
If nothing works with the DTA, I was thinking of upgrading my TIVO. That would mean (if I get Premiere) that I won't need the DTA at all, right?
That's correct. You wouldn't need a DTA, but you would need a WOW provided cable card. I get my first cable card from WOW free, not sure if that's their current policy or not.

There are a couple of other caveats about the Premiere. First, you must have a TV with either HDMI, component video, or composite video inputs. Most TVs will have at least composite video which is a yellow plug for video, usually with red and white plugs for audio nearby.

Second, you must connect to broadband Internet, the Premiere cannot use a phone connection. That means if you can't make a wired Internet connection then you also need to have a wireless network and get a wireless network adapter from TiVo.

Also keep in mind that only the Refurbs are $99 with the regular $12.95 monthly fee. New boxes are $99 but require service at $19.95 per month.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #33
debinoh

Quote:
That's correct. You wouldn't need a DTA, but you would need a WOW provided cable card. I get my first cable card from WOW free, not sure if that's their current policy or not.

There are a couple of other caveats about the Premiere. First, you must have a TV with either HDMI, component video, or composite video inputs. Most TVs will have at least composite video which is a yellow plug for video, usually with red and white plugs for audio nearby.

Second, you must connect to broadband Internet, the Premiere cannot use a phone connection. That means if you can't make a wired Internet connection then you also need to have a wireless network and get a wireless network adapter from TiVo.

Also keep in mind that only the Refurbs are $99 with the regular $12.95 monthly fee. New boxes are $99 but require service at $19.95 per month.
Oh, I didn't know with the Premiere you have to connect to the Internet. My TIVO is paid for (lifetime member). Don't understand why I would have to pay 100 bucks plus a monthly charge. I would think maybe up to just 200.00 to upgrade.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #34
debinoh

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know with the Premiere you have to connect to the Internet. My TIVO is paid for (lifetime member). Don't understand why I would have to pay 100 bucks plus a monthly charge. I would think maybe up to just 200.00 to upgrade.
Well, I guess that would be about $55.00 more to upgrade. About $255.00 total. Why does the TIVO Premiere have to be connected to the Internet? Could I get another TIVO where it is hooked up to the phone line?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #35
debinoh

I just hate cable companies. None of this would have happened if flippin WOW didn't do this.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #36
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Well, I guess that would be about $55.00 more to upgrade. About $255.00 total. Why does the TIVO Premiere have to be connected to the Internet? Could I get another TIVO where it is hooked up to the phone line?
You could buy a used TiVo HD from eBay. Those use a cable card and can be connected to a telephone line.

While this change sucks for TiVo S2 owners and those without digital TVs, I don't think WOW had much choice. They had to make this transition to add channels and stay competitive. I'm just happy that we have WOW as an option so I'm not stuck with Insight (or Time Warner).

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #37
debinoh

Quote:
You could buy a used TiVo HD from eBay. Those use a cable card and can be connected to a telephone line.

While this change sucks for TiVo S2 owners and those without digital TVs, I don't think WOW had much choice. They had to make this transition to add channels and stay competitive. I'm just happy that we have WOW as an option so I'm not stuck with Insight (or Time Warner).
Well, I spent like 10 hrs. trying to hook up this adapter and I unhooked it, performed a full channel scan on my TV and now I have ALL channels. It would have been nice if when WOW sent the letter saying you need these adapters that if you own a DIGITAL TV you DON'T need the adapter. That is soooooo wrong in my opinion. Unfortunately my TIVO won't record these new channels that were in the conversion since I have the series 2 and I now know it picks up the analog stations. Luckily, I can record some shows. I will definitely be getting rid of WOW soon and go with something else. Not happy with them.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #38
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
240 Series2
Cisco DTA50

IR CODE 10014-B
Chanel Digits 2
Enter button no
Has anyone else confirmed these settings work with the DTA50?
Does everyone here see "Cisco" as the manufacturer or is there another name on the box as well (aside from the cable company's)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #39
HomeUser

The box has CISCO engraved on the top, the front displays the CISCO Bridge logo and the name CISCO.

HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #40
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Does this box also have a remote IR sensor like we have displayed in our knowledge article?

If not, where is the IR sensor located on the box?
I'd still like to hear from anyone else if this code works reliably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #41
HomeUser

The Assembly part Number is 4029460 Manufactured date 09/23/2010

The remote sensor is trapezoid shaped
Like the remote on page 2 http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide.../4025708_B.pdf
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #42
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I've passed this info along to customer support so they can notify their agents and hopefully update the DTA article.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #43
HomeUser

Quote:
I just hate cable companies. None of this would have happened if flippin WOW didn't do this.
I switched from Comcast to WOW. After Comcast really messed up the billing again adding all sorts of other additional charges when adding the charge for a truck roll to re-pair a Cable Card.

Even then I was ready to switch back to Comcast it took 4 techs a week to get WOW Cable and internet working correctly The problem appears to of been a faulty ground connection and something on the pole called a plate.

One of the Digital Transport Adapters lost it's programming when I added the "Digital basic service" I asked the Tech if he had any of the Evolution DTA boxes, he did so we swapped one of the 2 Cisco DTA's for a WOW branded Evolution DTA. I was able to set it up using the default TiVo selections "Messages & Settings" -> "Settings" -> "Channels" -> "Channel Changing" followed the menus for a new box selecting the Evolution DTA went through a couple of channel changing tests before a successful channel change.

FWIW
Advanced settings that worked with the WOW Evolution DTA.

Model DMS-2002U
Manufactured 01/20/2011

IR Code [10084-B]
Channel Digits: 2
"Enter" button: No

Debbie, back to your original problem now that you no longer need the DTA for the TV you should be able to use it with the TiVo. Find the IR control cable that came with your Series2 TiVo. The IR cable replaces the DTA's remote allowing the TiVo to change the channels on the DTA. Follow the instructions in the link jrm01 posted. You will need to run guided setup.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #44
CRWgxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Most people can get a DTA working on their own, but to get it going with a TiVo YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE IR BLASTER CABLE.

Until you do, your TiVo has no way to control the channel changes on the box.

My suggestion is that you get the DTA working with the TV itself, no TiVo involved. You should be able to do this on your own, and the cable company should be able to tell you how over the phone.

When you get an IR blaster cable, you can set it up with your TiVo, using the instructions in the TiVo owners' manual. You do indeed have a cable box, because that's what a DTA is, so install it accordingly.

Is the IR control/blaster cable the same cable that came with the Cisco DTA50?

Does this plug into the rear of the Tivo and face the front of the DTA50?
CRWgxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #45
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWgxp View Post
Is the IR control/blaster cable the same cable that came with the Cisco DTA50?

Does this plug into the rear of the Tivo and face the front of the DTA50?
NO, the cable that comes with the DTA (Cisco box) is a receiver. You need to use the IR cable that came with your TiVo, if you can find it. If you have lost the original IR cable one can be purchased from TiVo https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories-networking.do for about $7.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #46
KelleyCook

WOW customers! Look for EJS3 IR Direct Connect, a single cable solution

I went and took a flyer on an EJS3 IR Blaster Direct Connect cable that someone engineered for a Comcasts DTA to Tivo connection.

It works like a charm with my WideOpenWest's Evolution DMS-2002-U.

One cable, no ducktape, no need to replace that long-lost IR Blaster that came with your 3 year old Tivo Series 2.

Google the product, but you'll find he sells them via an ebay store for essentially the same price as it is to replace the IR blaster cable.

Also I used the automatic cable box IR detect wizard on the TIVO. Its working like a charm, though contrary to the other suggestions my System Information page shows "IR database version: 438"

Though actually I think its time to buy a Tivo Premiere to replace the kids Series 2.
KelleyCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #47
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyCook View Post
Also I used the automatic cable box IR detect wizard on the TIVO. Its working like a charm, though contrary to the other suggestions my System Information page shows "IR database version: 438
That's the overall database version, not the individual codeset like 10084-B. To see the codeset that the wizard picked click the Advanced option in the channel changing menu.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #48
KelleyCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
That's the overall database version, not the individual codeset like 10084-B. To see the codeset that the wizard picked click the Advanced option in the channel changing menu.
Ah, in that case it is as the previous reporter said exactly 10084-B (2 digits, no Enter button).
KelleyCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #49
fabianro

Smile Cisco DTA50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
240 Series2
Cisco DTA50

IR CODE 10014-B
Chanel Digits 2
Enter button no

Thank you HomeUser! OneLink in Puerto Rico is providing these DTAs and your code works perfectly!
fabianro is offline   Reply With Quote