TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
jethrodesign

Program Premier Remote?

Hi, just got my premier (upgraded from Series 2). I'd like to use the included remote, as it has some buttons my universal remote doesn't have, but don't see the code for my old audio receiver. That's the only device I need to get (mostly just volume, power would be a super-bonus).

But my receiver/DVD player is an older Koss C220 all-in-one device. I can't seem to find the code for it. I did try a couple of the codes that I've used on other remotes I've had, including our Time Warner remote, but they don't work here. I've always been able to get it working with other remotes, even though it's a bit of an obscure device.

- Any tips? Or am I out of luck?

THANKS
jethrodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Tivo's website has a good starting point: http://s.h2oskierc.com/eNbBH8

Read everything very carefully, I missed some important parts of the process that would have saved me a lot of frustration. Also, if you see yourself searching a lot, take a good look at the slide remote. The keyboard is great, it has the glowing keys, and it also adds the learning function.

Edit: Looks like the Glow (Glo?) remote has learning as well.

Last edited by h2oskierc : 03-23-2011 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Add Glow Remote info
h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
DeWitt

The XL remote has the learning feature, the regular Premiere does not.

I have one of each and replaced the one from the premeire with a slide remote, which also has learning.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
jethrodesign

Thanks for the response. I'll try the one-by-one approach first.

- I'm wondering if I find the code with this method, if there's a way to see what code it was so it would be simpler in the future??

I would also like to program the TV power to control the AV power as well. I've seen threads on how to do this, but you need to know the code.

I suppose worst-case scenario I'll pick up a Glo remote. I would like the backlight anyway. I've seen some for under $40. We don't have an HD set right now, so the slide remote wouldn't be very useful.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
DeWitt

The learning remotes can be a god send. I have mine set up to do the power on both the TV and the AV receiver. (Could do this with the non learning too)

I have set the input button to the proper discrete HDMI input selection on the receiver for the Tivo it controls.

So both remotes can power on or off the system. Hitting the input button brings that Tivo to the screen.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
jethrodesign

OK, I purchased a new Tivo Glo remote to replace the stock one.

But I got the remote today, went through all the steps correctly, and it doesn't work properly.

When I hold the Tivo + Select buttons together, I get an amber light at top (not red as described in the instructions). But everything else seems to go OK. I press the button I want to learn, the light flashes once, I point the other remote at it and hold the corresponding button down - the Glo light flashes 4 times, and I either go to the next button or hit the Tivo button to quit. So it 'seems' to pick up the commands OK.

But when I try it out, the buttons only partially work at best. For instance, the power button may turn the device off, but not back on. The volume up may turn the volume up, but it won't go back down. And it seems very random. The mute button may mute it, but it won't un-mute or it takes several tries. I tried programming one button at a time, but still no luck. I'm pointing the remote right at the A/V receiver from a very close distance, so that's not the issue.

- Did I get a dud, or is this a known issue?

I've been able to successfully program other remotes to control this A/V receiver OK (my Time Warner Cable remote does it fine, as did an old universal remote). So I know it's possible to control.

- Any ideas??
Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
mblloyd

Have you tried programming the Glo from your Time Warner remote or your old universal remote?
mblloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
jethrodesign

Yeah, I tried programming the Glo from both the Time Warner cable remote and the original Koss remote that came with the DVD/Receiver. Both give the same results.

- If I program the power button, it will turn the receiver off but not back on. If the receiver is off, it will turn it on. It will do this consistently.

- If I program the mute button, it will mute the sound, but not unmute.

- If I program the volume buttons, those are a bit more sporadic. They rarely work, but mostly volume up works and not volume down.

- I do see a yellow light come on the front of the TiVo in response to every remote button press, whether the receiver responds or not.

I had a previous universal remote, my Time Warner remote, and the original Koss remote that all control the A/V receiver fine with no custom programming of those basic buttons.

Just want to know if there's anything else I can check before packaging back up and returning to Amazon.com. Not sure I want to hassle with the shipping/refund/exchange deal if another one would be just as problematic.

THANKS!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

jethrodesign, does your receiver have different buttons for power on/power off? Is it located in a different spot than the TiVo?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #10
jethrodesign

No, just one button for on/off. One button for mute. That's kind of what it sounds like, though.

It only uses separate buttons for input, but I'm not going to worry about that.

Any other ideas???