TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Brolan

Question Need help with Series 1 DTV

I've had to give up the cable service I've used for eleven years. That means the 2009 digital conversion has finally hit home for me and my Sony SVR-2000.

I know the series 1 was not intended to be used with digital converters but I am trying to find one that is compatable. I have a Tivax STB-T8, but I can't find any IR codes that work. Has anyone gotten this to work with a Series 1? Or is there another digital coverter that does work? Thanks in advance.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
ggieseke

As far as the IR database goes, the Apex DTV converter will work with code 10020 for a Hughes cable or satellite box. Insignia and Zenith converters will work with code 10075 for a LG satellite box. Those are the only matches that I know of.

If you have your SVR-2000 hacked so that you can telnet into it and transfer files it's possible to run a .tcl script to overwrite one of the cable or satellite boxes that it does know about with the ones for your Tivax, but it's a pain and the next IRDB update will probably restore it back.

P.S. All the codes for DTV converters are actually in the IR database on a Series 1, it just doesn't have a way to access them through the menus.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Brolan

Thanks for the info, I'll look for those other converters and use the Tivax on another TV. It's really too bad Tivo choose not to do the little bit of extra work to enable the IR codes for the converters, I was considering buying the Premiere, but now I'm rethinking that.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
shwru980r

You probably won't be able to tune to any of the over the air sub-channels with a series 1. I get 8 sub-channels and I regularly watch and record from 5 of them. If you have any sub-channels in your area that you want to record from, it might be worth it to get a used series 2 with lifetime service for ~$120 online or check craigslist.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
dgh

My Series 1 has been one of the ones that has been crashing on data downloads for the last few months. After seeing all the complaints about unfixed Premiere issues, I concluded that the chance of anything being done for the old S1 was very slim. There are several reasonably inexpensive OTA DTV DVRs that you might want to also consider. (Channel Master CM-7000PAL, Sezmi, and another whose name escapes me at the moment.)
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
I'd hardly call the Echostar/Channel Master DTVPal DVR "inexpensive", especially not when compared to a used Series 2 with Lifetime.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
classicsat
Astute User

The CM7000 is dual tuner HD, something that cannot be said of a Series 2+DTA combination.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Dtv pal

It seems that I was using a DTV pal digital converter with a Series 1, but don't remember for sure. And the Pal wasn't in the listing for IR codes, but I used a Ecostar or Dish code and it worked. But only when I set up for cable. Most of the channels were correct in the lower range, but not all.
The reason that I initially bought the DTVpal was because U could set it up to change channels on a scheduled basis, so U could actually use it with a VCR. Albeit it was a pain to use and set up.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
dgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
The CM7000 is dual tuner HD, something that cannot be said of a Series 2+DTA combination.
Yeah, not to mention used vs new. And lifetime wasn't a bad idea years ago, but I think it's questionable on an SD box that has to drive an external DTV receiver that downconverts. It just doesn't seem to me that there's much of a "lifetime" left for that for most people. Even if money is an issue, that old (probably CRT) SD set is going to die someday so investing new money in a box in the middle that is SD-only just doesn't make sense to me.

But your mileage may vary so that's why I suggested that the OP might consider it. I considered it fairly seriously before deciding that I couldn't go without Discovery and a few other non-OTAs.
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolan View Post
I've had to give up the cable service I've used for eleven years. That means the 2009 digital conversion has finally hit home for me and my Sony SVR-2000.

I know the series 1 was not intended to be used with digital converters but I am trying to find one that is compatable. I have a Tivax STB-T8, but I can't find any IR codes that work. Has anyone gotten this to work with a Series 1? Or is there another digital coverter that does work? Thanks in advance.
Is that the Tivax with the serial port? I seem to remember one of their models having one.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

U can get a standard definition TVs on craigslist for free

As far as replacing standard definition TVs, they can be replaced for free on craigslist, or very cheap at the thrift stores. For people with any money, they will certainly go with High Definition, but if U look at completed listings on ebay U will see there is still a huge demand for SD series 2 Tivos, as they sell for over $100! Over $200 for dual tuner.
And I just talked to a guy that got internet service with Comcast, and he got basic cable TV for free. Comcast doesn't tell U that, but he says that it works great.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
As far as replacing standard definition TVs, they can be replaced for free on craigslist, or very cheap at the thrift stores. For people with any money, they will certainly go with High Definition, but if U look at completed listings on ebay U will see there is still a huge demand for SD series 2 Tivos, as they sell for over $100! Over $200 for dual tuner.
And I just talked to a guy that got internet service with Comcast, and he got basic cable TV for free. Comcast doesn't tell U that, but he says that it works great.
Technically he's either forced to pay for basic cable in order to have cable in order to have cable internet, or he's "theft of service"-ing the basic cable.

I'd be interested to know if the cable company installer installed a splitter, or if they gave him a "hook it up yourself" kit that included a splitter.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Comcast came out and connected his internet and the the tech told him that he gets free cable basic. Although he has no 'rights' to it, or support included.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Comcast came out and connected his internet and the the tech told him that he gets free cable basic. Although he has no 'rights' to it, or support included.
Where cableco's are concerned, nothing's ever really free.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
Brolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is that the Tivax with the serial port? I seem to remember one of their models having one.
Yes, but as far as I know it is used for maintenance of the Tivax only.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Brolan

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new Premiere, the converters only allow you to access the -1 channels and I'm not sure how much longer my eleven year old SVR-2000 would last anyway.