TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Fuqer

Using a cablecard with Tivo without a subscription..

I have a Time Warner subscription and a cable DVR box downstairs.

Upstairs I am currently just using the coaxial cable and recieve 69 analog and 14 digital channels.

I would like to buy an older Tivo with cablecard support and use it without a Tivo subscription to be able to pick up the same HD channels as my cable DVR box that I have downstairs.

Everything that I have been told so far is that this is possible.

So, can I buy a used Tivo without a subscription such as the
TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder for $70 from amazon?

and get a cablecard from time warner for $2.00 a month and recieve the same HD channels as my cable box downstairs without a Tivo subscription or a cable box upstairs?
Fuqer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

No. The TiVo is useless without a subscription.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Fuqer

on all tivos are just that tivo?

A Time Warner chat rep told me that I did not need a Tivo subscription to use a cable card..
Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

On all TiVos, except the very early S1 boxes.

You might be able to use it as a basic tuner, but you'll get nag screens every time you change the channel and none of the recording features or Guide data will work. So why bother?

|
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Fuqer

That all I really want is to use it to recieve all my channels.

If the worst thing that happens is i get a nag screen when i change the channel, I could live with that as long as it only happens when i change the channel.

MY choices are..

buy a used Tivo for $70 and a rent a cable card for $2 a month from TW

or

pay Time Warner almost $20 a month for another cable box upstairs

I dont care about record features, i have a TW DVR box downstairs.

I just want to watch ESPN HD and Live sports upstairs,
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

YES, fuqer, you can do exactly what you want to do.

TiVo, TV your way ...even if it doesn't include a subscription
Old 02-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
No. The TiVo is useless without a subscription.

Clearly it's not useless if it can be used as the OP intends. As I've already stated, it can be used that way to keep the OP's cable bill down.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Fuqer

Quote:

You might be able to use it as a basic tuner, but you'll get nag screens every time you change the channel and none of the recording features or Guide data will work. So why bother?
I thought on the Tivo Hd's but not Premiere's, that after 30 days is up and option appears to manual record shows.

I could buy a new one and use the 7 day trial to update everything before it ends, couldn't I?

But what if I buy a used one, will it still give me the option to record manually?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'll defer to scandia101 here as he seems to be the expert on unsubbed boxes. All of mine have subscriptions so I'm only going off what I've read here on TCF.

|
Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuqer View Post
I thought on the Tivo Hd's but not Premiere's, that after 30 days is up and option appears to manual record shows.
No, that has never been the case.

Quote:
I could buy a new one and use the 7 day trial to update everything before it ends, couldn't I?
You don't need a subscription to go through the guided setup to set the tivo up with your cable line up and to set up the cablecard or to get software updates.

Quote:
But what if I buy a used one, will it still give me the option to record manually?
No, because it's not an option on a non-sub'd tivo that you'll have to set up for your local cable line up (or OTA if that were the case).
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I'll defer to scandia101 here as he seems to be the expert on unsubbed boxes. All of mine have subscriptions so I'm only going off what I've read here on TCF.

Not an expert, just willing to give the OP the information that they are actually asking for.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
jrm01

If you are able to set it up without a subscription I would suggest the following:

1) Connect it to the network with phone or internet and run Guided Setup, saying you will install cablecards later.

2)At the end of Guided Setup disconnect the network, and leave it disconnected.

3)Install the cablecards and have them paired properly

If this works you will be able to use the Manual Record by Time&Channel.

I have been running a S2 TiVo this way (except for the cc part) for three years. The only problem is the time drifts by a few minutes each month.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Joey P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post

I have been running a S2 TiVo this way (except for the cc part) for three years. The only problem is the time drifts by a few minutes each month.
I ran across a thread the other day where someone said they had good luck fixing the clock by once a month or plugging it into the internet, connecting to TiVo and then pulling the network cable as soon as it set "Setting Clock."
Seems kind of risky though.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?t=442404&
Joey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
nycityuser

Quote:

or

pay Time Warner almost $20 a month for another cable box upstairs

I just want to watch ESPN HD and Live sports upstairs,
I don't think a non-DVR box costs $20/month with Time Warner. That's the price for a DVR. It would probably be closer to $7/month for an HD box from TW without DVR features. Check that out before bothering with a TiVo just to use its tuner.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Has anyone mentioned that series 3 and 4 are the only TiVos that use cable cards, and that series 1 and 2 don't even have cable card slots?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Has anyone mentioned that series 3 and 4 are the only TiVos that use cable cards, and that series 1 and 2 don't even have cable card slots?
No, because the OP is discussing getting a HD Tivo.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
If you are able to set it up without a subscription I would suggest the following:

1) Connect it to the network with phone or internet and run Guided Setup, saying you will install cablecards later.

2)At the end of Guided Setup disconnect the network, and leave it disconnected.

3)Install the cablecards and have them paired properly

If this works you will be able to use the Manual Record by Time&Channel.

No, that won't work. In order to get the manual recording w/o a sub to work (if it even does on a S3 or S4) you must first have the tivo subscribed.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #18
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
No, because the OP is discussing getting a HD Tivo.
Early on something was said about the Series 1s, and then the OP said something about getting a used TiVo for $70.

I doubted Series 3s, let alone 4s, would be going for $70, so it sounded like an earlier model was meant...which would mean 1 or 2, so no cable card slots.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #19
Fuqer

Yes, this was a TiVo HD from Amazon who were selling it at $215 but some of the used sellers had it for $60 + $10 shipping.

ww.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000RZDBM2/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1298747647&sr=1-13&condition=used-[/url]
I have a guy telling me it is possible to manual record and I have saw other forum posts' confirming this.

I was told after the 7 day trial is up that it pops up a manual record option.

He said this was true for TivO HD's but he didn't think it worked with Premiere.

He suggested I buy a new one for the sole purpose of getting the 7 day trial and using that method.

He said I could maybe wipe the used Tivo clean when I get it and that would allow me to get the 7 day trial .

Recording is not that big of a deal, I just want to unscramble the QAM HD channels such as ESPN 2.

Yes , it cost $7.95 for a cable box and another $9.99 for the DVR service.

And would I still have to pay $2.00 for a cablecard?

I thought I asked Time Warner before and they I thought they said the box wont work without the DVR service.

Either or, at $8.00 a month at the very least, a used Tivo would pay for itself in less than 10 months perhaps.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
Fuqer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Couldnt post a link till 5 post..
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Early on something was said about the Series 1s, and then the OP said something about getting a used TiVo for $70.

I doubted Series 3s, let alone 4s, would be going for $70, so it sounded like an earlier model was meant...which would mean 1 or 2, so no cable card slots.
The OP has mentioned nothing but HD Tivos.
S4 Premieres are going for $35 - $70 on ebay right now.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Yes, this was a TiVo HD from Amazon who were selling it at $215 but some of the used sellers had it for $60 + $10 shipping.

ww.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000RZDBM2/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1298747647&sr=1-13&condition=used-[/url]
I have a guy telling me it is possible to manual record and I have saw other forum posts' confirming this.

I was told after the 7 day trial is up that it pops up a manual record option.

He said this was true for TivO HD's but he didn't think it worked with Premiere.

He suggested I buy a new one for the sole purpose of getting the 7 day trial and using that method.

He said I could maybe wipe the used Tivo clean when I get it and that would allow me to get the 7 day trial .

Recording is not that big of a deal, I just want to unscramble the QAM HD channels such as ESPN 2.

Yes , it cost $7.95 for a cable box and another $9.99 for the DVR service.

And would I still have to pay $2.00 for a cablecard?

I thought I asked Time Warner before and they I thought they said the box wont work without the DVR service.

Either or, at $8.00 a month at the very least, a used Tivo would pay for itself in less than 10 months perhaps.
You also jave a guy telling you that your ability to do manual recording in the way you mentioned can't and won't happen.

Here's the long story
Years ago, idf a legitimately subscribed Tivo didn't make a daily connection for 30 days, all recording abilities were automatically shut down. About 5 years ago that changed for the S2 and I'm only guessing it's because they found out the hard way (legal action) that they were preventing people from doing what they paid for. What happens is that if a Tivo's subscription is cancelled and it makes a daily connection, it gets the message that it no longer has a valid subscription and all recording abilities are shut down. If, however, the Tivo is disconnected from the outside world and prevented from making a daily call, it never gets the message that it's subscription is no longer valid, so it continues to allow recording to occur and when guide data runs out, the only way to record is manually.

The trial has a built in 7 day self destruct, so your 7 day free trial subscription does not count because you need to actually pay for a subscription to retain the ability to schedule manual recordings.

but then again I don't know why you keep bringing this up because you already stated.
Quote:
Quote:

I just want to watch ESPN HD and Live sports upstairs

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #23
shwru980r

The Tivo HD will work as a cable box. You could use it without a cable card and probably pick up most of the digital channels with the QAM tuner. The 30 minute live buffer will also work for both tuners, so you could let one show run for a while before watching and skip the commercials or flip back and forth between two shows.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #24
solutionsetc

OP... before you go to all this trouble you better confirm TW will rent you a cablecard without an "additional outlet fee".
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
Fuqer

Here is the thread on another forum where a guy is talking about being able to manual record with no sub.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...7#post37583837

And yes, recording is not my goal here but it would help convince me for sure.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
lessd

Quote:
You also jave a guy telling you that your ability to do manual recording in the way you mentioned can't and won't happen.

Here's the long story
Years ago, idf a legitimately subscribed Tivo didn't make a daily connection for 30 days, all recording abilities were automatically shut down. About 5 years ago that changed for the S2 and I'm only guessing it's because they found out the hard way (legal action) that they were preventing people from doing what they paid for. What happens is that if a Tivo's subscription is cancelled and it makes a daily connection, it gets the message that it no longer has a valid subscription and all recording abilities are shut down. If, however, the Tivo is disconnected from the outside world and prevented from making a daily call, it never gets the message that it's subscription is no longer valid, so it continues to allow recording to occur and when guide data runs out, the only way to record is manually.

The trial has a built in 7 day self destruct, so your 7 day free trial subscription does not count because you need to actually pay for a subscription to retain the ability to schedule manual recordings.

but then again I don't know why you keep bringing this up because you already stated.
I have two Series 2 that when unsb after 31 days would not record, any TiVo even with a sub that does not connect for over 30 days will stop recording manually (it will re-set on the first call home). I know some people have reported series 2s that record forever without any sub, the people that have them are lucky or have some version of software that lets them do that.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
The OP has mentioned nothing but HD Tivos.
S4 Premieres are going for $35 - $70 on ebay right now.
Quote:
...The TiVo is useless without a subscription.
Quote:
on all tivos are just that tivo?

A Time Warner chat rep told me that I did not need a Tivo subscription to use a cable card..
Quote:

Quote:

If the worst thing that happens is i get a nag screen when i change the channel, I could live with that as long as it only happens when i change the channel.

MY choices are..

buy a used Tivo for $70 and a rent a cable card for $2 a month from TW

or

pay Time Warner almost $20 a month for another cable box upstairs...
Quote:

I'm still surprised that the more recent models would be going for so low a price, so I stand by what I said, that it sounded like an earlier model was meant. If not, that's interesting, but the point of my original post in this thread was to make sure there was no misunderstanding, that not all TiVos take cable cards.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Here is the thread on another forum where a guy is talking about being able to manual record with no sub.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...7#post37583837

And yes, recording is not my goal here but it would help convince me for sure.
User kdt over there doesn't know what the f they're talking about. The TivoHD is a Series 3 platform. Set him straight.

And the poster that said manual record appears after the 7 day trial, ask him if he first activated it with a subscription and then canceled.

I don't know about the Series3/TivoHD (mine are subscribed), but if they act anything like the Premiere and you never activate it, you lose all recording functions except for the 30 minute live TV buffers after the 7 day trial.
If you try to go into the manual recording option, you just get spit back out to the previous menu.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 02-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #29
jrm01

Quote:
No, that won't work. In order to get the manual recording w/o a sub to work (if it even does on a S3 or S4) you must first have the tivo subscribed.
OK, I guess the 7-day trial makes this unworkable. But what if you subscribe to a service, finish the setup, disconnect the network connection, then cancel the service within the 30 day cancellation period? Think that may work?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #30
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I ran across a thread the other day where someone said they had good luck fixing the clock by once a month or plugging it into the internet, connecting to TiVo and then pulling the network cable as soon as it set "Setting Clock."
Seems kind of risky though.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?t=442404&
Yeah, I saw that too. However, I don't trust that my timing will be good enough to prevent the "bricking" command from coming down.