TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Dr. Who....kids like?

My daughter is almost 11 yrs. old. Fifth grade. She's a more serious minded type child. Pretty mature for her age and totally NOT a Miley or Justin Beiber fan. She's not the hugest science fiction/fantasy buff, but she loved the LOTR trilogy and Star Wars, etc.

Think she might like Dr. Who? Anyone watch it with their kids? I haven't watched Dr. Who since I was a teenager in the 80's with the curly haired Dr. Who that wore a striped scarf.

I've never watched the current version. I thought if it was age appropriate, I might try watching it with her on Netflix streaming.

Just didn't want to be surprised with language or nudity. I certainly don't remember either being in the Dr. Who I used to watch, but times they are a changin'.

Thanks!
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
spikedavis

My friends son is a lot younger than that and he is obsessed with Doctor Who. I'm waiting for my daughter to grow up so we can watch it together!
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Roommate

No language or nudity, but it can get pretty intense/scary at times. I don't think it's anything an 11 year old (especially a mature one) couldn't handle.
Roommate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Tyrannosullyrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roommate View Post
but it can get pretty intense/scary at times.
Blink creeped me right the **** out. I still look at statues funny.
Tyrannosullyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The original version of Doctor Who was conceived as a children's show, though at some point they diverged a bit from that -- I remember, I think in the Tom Baker era, the typical viewer being described as "an intelligent 15-year-old". The original show remained virtually sexless throughout its run, which they've definitely got away from a bit in the new show. But, I'm pretty sure it's still "clean".

There have been two spin-offs of the new show targetted at different age groups: "Torchwood" for adults (as in, Adult, almost), and "The Sarah Jane Adventures", meant as a pure kids' show (again).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Thanks everyone! I told her a little about it today and she was intrigued.

With Survivor, Modern Family and Off The Map on tonight, mom has the TV/TiVo tied up tonight, but we're going to start watching Doctor Who sometime this week. I already have the first four season loaded up in the Netflix Instant Queue.

Watched about 60 seconds or so of the first episode and was thrilled to see that they basically still have the same theme music as in the 80's! I'm such a dork!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

My sons started watching the 2005 version with me, they were about 9 and 10 at the time and they love it. We still watch all the new stuff.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Alfer
WOOSAH!

My 9 year old daughter wouldn't last 5 seconds with Dr. Who...

It's all about iCarly etc.

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Cragmyre

My 9 year old daughter watches with me. I usually get the discs, so it turns out that she can see what the creature of the episode will be. Usually she'll be wary until she finally sees it on screen and then will be fine. The exception was the Angels. Those were the only episodes she did not watch with me. She loved David Tennant, but likes Matt Smith - she especially likes Amy.
Cragmyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There have been two spin-offs of the new show targetted at different age groups: "Torchwood" for adults (as in, Adult, almost), and "The Sarah Jane Adventures", meant as a pure kids' show (again).
Yeah, I think that SJA is the "Kids" show that Dr Who was originally intended to be, and Torchwood is the "Adult" show that the creators wished it could have been.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
whitson77
Director Level

I think 10 or 11 is where I would okay with my kids watching Doctor Who.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Well, we watched the first two episodes of Season 1 last night and she liked it!! I was wondering if she was going to get freaked out, but I think she saw the humor in most of it.

We'll proceed with caution. Up until now, she is THE most unafraid child I've ever seen. Has never been afraid of monsters in closet or boogeyman under the bed....ever. We live on the back of 80 acres literally in the middle of the woods and she will turn on a few outside lights and run around outside by herself WAY after dark not scared of a thing. Hoping this won't change that.

Only issue so far is that she was running around before bed last night yelling "Moisturize me!!" ::rolls eyes:: :Þ
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

Pay attention. The new Doctor Who is very good at a continuing season-long thread and they leave clues in almost every episode.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
Pay attention. The new Doctor Who is very good at a continuing season-long thread and they leave clues in almost every episode.
Yes-every season has a different "arc" that it ends with-but clues are sprinkled throughout the earlier episodes.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
mattack

BTW, there is tons of old Doctor Who on DVD too (maybe some streaming nowadays).
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Some of the first season (new) Doctor Who (the ones with Eccleston) might be a bit creepy for a kid that age, depending on the kid's tolerance. They definitely seem quite a bit darker than the episodes with Tennant. You could just start her off with the Tennant episodes if you explain the concept behind the show verbally. My kids started there, and now that we've finished those up, we've gone back through the less-creepy Eccleston episodes while we wait for Netflix to send us dvds with Matt Smith.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
JETarpon

My 11 and 8 year old daughters have both been Dr. Who fans for 2-3 years. And by "fans" I mean, I'll come downstairs on a Saturday morning and they'll already have the TV on and be in the middle of an episode they've seen a dozen times.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #18
danterner
Not it!

My daughter sounds a lot like yours. I just did a rewatch of all of the episodes of the new series (from Eccleston onward), as my wife was watching for the first time. (She's now a fan, and we've moved on to Torchwood). Along the way, we discussed whether we thought our daughter would enjoy the show or whether it would be too scary for her. On the whole, we decided it would be fine. There are definitely a few episodes along the way, though, are a bit on the too-scary side. From memory, I'd say:

The Unquiet Dead
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (two parter)
Blink
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (two parter)
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (two parter)
Midnight
Waters of Mars

Mind you, while I consider the above to be among the scariest, I also consider many of the above to be among the best. Part of what makes them good is their intensity.

On the whole, I'd say the Harry Potter movies are a good touchstone. If your daughter has seen them and wasn't frightened of Voldemort or the Dementors, I doubt she'd be frightened of anything Doctor Who has to offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
acvthree

I'd put Blink at the top of that list. That was definitely a step above the norm for DW spookiness.
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
mercurial
Retro-Av

There are some spooky/scary stuff but a think a mature 10-11yo can handle it. I might steer clear of the spin-off Torchwood. It kicks the sexual innuendo and tension up a lot from mainstream Doctor Who. Also, see if you can find The Sarah Jane Adventures. It's the continuing adventures of the Tom Baker Doctor's (curly hair and scarf guy) companion Sarah Jane Smith. It is aimed specifically at kids (and is bit closer to the old-style campiness of 70's/80's Doctor Who).
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #21
mattack

is blink the gas mask face people one? (I can't tell from the page I found linked from epguides.com)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #22
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
is blink the gas mask face people one? (I can't tell from the page I found linked from epguides.com)
Nope. Blink was the one with the angel statues, featuring Carey Mulligan.

The gas mask one was The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #23
appleye1

I introduced my 14 year old to Dr. Who a couple of months ago and he's watched a ton of them since. He loves them. He thinks he's the only kid in his class that watches it though. He says his friends "are like "Dr. What?""

I passed by him watching an episode the other day and I noticed it was marked TV-MA! Why I don't know, they've always seemed tame enough to me. I don't know if it was just that episode or if the rating was a leftover from the English system but I told him that's it, no more Dr. Who! He knows I was just kidding though!

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #24
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleye1 View Post
I passed by him watching an episode the other day and I noticed it was marked TV-MA!
Which episode was it?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #25
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Well, we finished up Season 1 last night (so good!!!) and she's officially hooked. And she's moved on from using only "Moisturize me!" to drive mom crazy and has added "Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!!" to the repitoire. LOL And for an extra bonus, last night she discovered a Doctor Who sound app to download on her iPod Touch.

I may invest in some earplugs.

So far, none of it has seemed to scare her much. But I noticed just about everyone talks about "Blink" being uber freaky, so I may nix that one when the time comes.

Starting Season 2 tonight!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
So far, none of it has seemed to scare her much. But I noticed just about everyone talks about "Blink" being uber freaky, so I may nix that one when the time comes.

I don't think "Blink" was all that scary. It's very suspenseful though. I'd just pre-screen it yourself to be sure it's OK.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #27
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
And for an extra bonus, last night she discovered a Doctor Who sound app to download on her iPod Touch.
I've been using the sound of the arriving TARDIS as my ringtone for the last few months. I love seeing people's reactions when my phone rings from my pocket - you can instantly pick out the Who fans.

Quote:

Blink is probably my favorite episode, though, so don't nix it without at least watching it for yourself. If you watch it and decide it's okay for her to see, you won't mind watching it a second time -- it's that good.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #28
pgogborn

Quote:
And she's moved on from using only "Moisturize me!" to drive mom crazy and has added "Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!!" to the repitoire. LOL
But she is only doing it right if she holds out her arm stiffly
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #29
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
And she's moved on from using only "Moisturize me!" to drive mom crazy and has added "Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!!" to the repitoire.
She'll be espousing the virtues of fezzes before you know it.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 02-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #30
Magister
Fat, Dumb and Happy

My 5 yo son and 8 yo daughter enjoy the new series a whole lot. It is pretty darn kid friendly.

JFRIDAY - Lets vote off Joe, then eat him.
XBOX - DemanoRock
Magister is offline   Reply With Quote