TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
don911

Tivo HD XL bricked

I have had issues with S03 errors for a year and a half. Rebooting or pulling the ethernet cord for a few days has always resolved the issue. However, last week I ran the guided setup, and could then not get out of that mode. Then I ran Kickstart 58 and got stuck in a loop on that one too.

I pulled the 1TB WD drive out of the Tivo and ran WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics on my PC. The result was something like "too many errors".

So now, my Tivo HD XL (TCD658000) is a brick. However, I am soon getting a replacement from Tivo. But what can I do with the old one? Is there anyway I can pull the shows off the HD? Would it work again if I re-imaged the hard drive? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
don911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
squint

Did you have any trouble playing back shows?

I'm curious about the nature of the errors found by the diagnostic. Were they SMART errors or bad sectors or both?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You could have just ran "Clear To Do List and Program Info" to clear the S03, not Guided Setup.

You could rescue the Tivo with an image of the same model.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don911 View Post
Is there anyway I can pull the shows off the HD?
If the hard drive is toast, your recordings are lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
don911

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Did you have any trouble playing back shows?

I'm curious about the nature of the errors found by the diagnostic. Were they SMART errors or bad sectors or both?
I never had any problems playing back shows. I donut remember exactly what errors were reported, but I think it was bad sectors.

The problems started when I moved 1.5 years ago, and switched from Verizon FIOS to Charter cable. Since then, my Tivo HD XL (TCD658000) has been saying that it is running out of program data every 10 days or so, even though it has successfully connected to the Tivo service (but sometimes I have gotten a S03 error). The fix has always been to reboot it, or for S03 errors, to disconnect the ethernet cable for a few days. So to me, it has always felt like something was wrong with the Tivo cache or something like that, since letting it run without an internet connection for a few days always resolved the issue.

The problem this time was that the guide had completely run out (I was on vacation) when I ran the guided setup. If I had unplugged it for a few days to clear the S03 error, before I ran the Guided setup, I don't think this would have happened. But since I didn't want to wait for 3-4 days to be able to record shows again, I unfortunately ran the guided setup and then had no way of clearing the S03 error.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
don911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You could have just ran "Clear To Do List and Program Info" to clear the S03, not Guided Setup.

You could rescue the Tivo with an image of the same model.
Charter had just made big changes to their channel lineup, and that's why I ran the guided setup, on advice from Tivo support.

If nothing else works I'll try to re-image the drive. I don't really care about the Tivo itself, I just got a replacement from Tivo, but I would like to recover the shows if possible.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
squint

What's odd is a hard drive riddled with bad sectors but no problems playing back shows. You should be seeing stuttering and freezing.

You could borrow the power supply from the new TiVo, put it in the old one with the old drive, and see what happens.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
WO312

Quote:
Charter had just made big changes to their channel lineup, and that's why I ran the guided setup, on advice from Tivo support.

If nothing else works I'll try to re-image the drive. I don't really care about the Tivo itself, I just got a replacement from Tivo, but I would like to recover the shows if possible.
Hopefully you realize that if you re-image the drive, you wipe everything off of it.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
WO312

Found this in another thread, from ravingfans:

Guided Setup Loop S03 fix
I'm posting this in all the threads related to Guided Setup loops as I have not seen this advice anywhere on the nets:

How to get out of Guided Setup:
1. Prerequisite--have to have either a serial cable connection to get a shell or a telnet connection to get a shell on the TiVo--there are plenty of resources to show how to do these options elsewhere.
2. disconnect the Tuning Adapter and unplug all cable cards
3. let the TiVo boot up to the Guided Setup entry page, but don't click select with the remote
4. telnet in to the TiVo (or access through the serial link
5. type (without quotes):
dbgc-mcp -fg-gc
this initiates a garbage collection, and since the Tuning Adapter and CableCards are not connected, it does not distract the TiVo from completing GC

6. WAIT for this command to complete. Took mine several hours
7. once dbgc-mcp has completed, go through Guided Setup and it should now complete

Notes: I was having trouble getting fakecall.tcl to work in rc.sysinit.author (although a couple years ago I used it successfully)--it ran fine from the command prompt, but did not bypass the guided setup for me, so perhaps I wasn't doing something right there. Nevertheless, fakecall.tcl is still called from my rc.sysinit.author file, but it was having no effect, so I don't think it played any role in the solution above.

I welcome comments back. This fix does not correct the S03 problem itself, just gets you past the Guided Setup loop. It has been 3.5 years since I had the S03 problem, so now am retracing my steps. My solution at that time was to increase swap space to 2GB, so I think that fended off the problem for a long time.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
don911

Thanks everyone for your replies. I found the info about a shell connection myself, but decided it seems a bit too complicated. Also, my Tivo is stuck in KS 58 now, not the guided setup. I'm going to try to re-image the drive and accept that I'll lose my shows.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I think the serial connection only works on series 2 and earlier models since they have the available port for the connection. Series 3 and later does not have any ports except ethernet, usb, video/audio connections.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I think the serial connection only works on series 2 and earlier models since they have the available port for the connection. Series 3 and later does not have any ports except ethernet, usb, video/audio connections.
There's a header on the various S3 motherboards that's a serial port, but it's not connected to anything on the back panel, so you have to cobble together your own custom cable.

In other words, it was never intended as something the owner/customer would use.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I found the info about a shell connection myself, but decided it seems a bit too complicated. Also, my Tivo is stuck in KS 58 now, not the guided setup. I'm going to try to re-image the drive and accept that I'll lose my shows.
Is it absolutely necessary that you re-image that drive? You could buy a drop-in replacement from somewhere like Weaknees or put a new image on a new drive, and preserve your old one. (There may be ways to retrieve your shows from it, some of which are not supposed to be discussed on this forum.)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
reubanks

Quote:
I donut remember exactly what errors were reported, but I think it was bad sectors.
If the drive is failing and/or has excessive bad sectors then why do you want to reuse it? Brand new 2TB drives are relatively inexpensive.
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
mhuffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Found this in another thread, from ravingfans:

Guided Setup Loop S03 fix
I'm posting this in all the threads related to Guided Setup loops as I have not seen this advice anywhere on the nets:

How to get out of Guided Setup:
1. Prerequisite--have to have either a serial cable connection to get a shell or a telnet connection to get a shell on the TiVo--there are plenty of resources to show how to do these options elsewhere.
2. disconnect the Tuning Adapter and unplug all cable cards
3. let the TiVo boot up to the Guided Setup entry page, but don't click select with the remote
4. telnet in to the TiVo (or access through the serial link
5. type (without quotes):
dbgc-mcp -fg-gc
this initiates a garbage collection, and since the Tuning Adapter and CableCards are not connected, it does not distract the TiVo from completing GC

6. WAIT for this command to complete. Took mine several hours
7. once dbgc-mcp has completed, go through Guided Setup and it should now complete

Notes: I was having trouble getting fakecall.tcl to work in rc.sysinit.author (although a couple years ago I used it successfully)--it ran fine from the command prompt, but did not bypass the guided setup for me, so perhaps I wasn't doing something right there. Nevertheless, fakecall.tcl is still called from my rc.sysinit.author file, but it was having no effect, so I don't think it played any role in the solution above.

I welcome comments back. This fix does not correct the S03 problem itself, just gets you past the Guided Setup loop. It has been 3.5 years since I had the S03 problem, so now am retracing my steps. My solution at that time was to increase swap space to 2GB, so I think that fended off the problem for a long time.
Is it possible to pull the hard drive and run this command from a computer running Linux, WinMFS, or something like that?
mhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
squint

No, it's a process that has to be run on the TiVo.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
mhuffman

I have a series 3 which is now stuck in the loop; any advice how to get to a shell?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
squint

I'm not sure what it takes to telnet to a Series 3. You might have to do the PROM hack.

Another person said that a large swap partition (2000 mb vs. 128 mb) may prevent this problem. It may even solve it. But the swap partition can only be easily expanded when there's available space so you have to have a destination hard drive that's larger than the current drive. In my case, the drive is 2 tb, the largest that a Series 3 can take. It may still be possible to expand the swap partition by shrinking another partition but it's a lot more complicated.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
mhuffman

I've got a 1tb drive now that I installed several years back using WinMFS. Do I pick up a 2tb drive and do the same thing now, only expanding the swap partition?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
squint

Yes, that's what I would try and in WiinMFS, set the swap size to 2000 or 2048 mb. If I recall correctly, you would use the mfscopy function to duplicate the drive. If it asks you after completion if you want to expand, decline because it does it incorrectly. Then use the mfsadd function to correctly expand it to 2 tb.

There's no guarantee that this will work but it's what I would try if I didn't mind investing in a 2 tb hard drive.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #21
mhuffman

Thanks. One more question - what kind of recording capacity do you end up with at 2tb? I thought the largest the series 3 would recognize was 1tb?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
squint

318 hours after enabling the supersize option in WinMFS. A 2000 mb swap drive might reduce that slightly though.