TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
lcks

TiVo/dish network/direct tv question

I had Dish Network installed a couple of days ago because they told me it worked with TiVo. Come to find out, it doesn't work with my series 3 hd TiVo. This is correct, right?

If I switch to Direct TV will that work with my current series 3 HD TiVo and my series 2 non hd TiVo. These are regular TiVo's, not direct tv TiVo's.

I really appreciate any help.
lcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
caddyroger

No the series 3 hd hdxl and the series 4 premiers will not work with dish or Directv. Tivo suppose to out with a Directv Tivo some time this year.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
richsadams

There may be hope one of these days...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...e.this.spring/

But that wouldn't help if you already have a TiVo.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Series3Sub

Whoever told you that TiVo works with Dish either misunderstood and was referring to the TiVo Series 1 & 2, as they do work both Dish and DirecTV, but providing SD only, or they were flat out liars. So sorry to hear of such a goof.

However, if you are staying with Dish, why didn't you just get one of their HD DVR's for FREE or very nominal upgrade. The 722 and 722K DVR's are very good (picture in picture feature is great), and, quite frankly, overall better than TiVo--not in every respect but most. Also, with the 722K and the purchase of the MT2 OTA module at $30 (the 722 comes with one built-in OTA tuner), providing 2 OTA tuners, you can record 4 HD channels all at the same time, 2 HD sat and 2 OTA HD or even the SD sub-channels. You also have the option of adding the Sling Adapter (separate purchase) by connecting to the USB and your 722/K has Sling capabilities.

The Dish external HDD feature allows for an unlimited number of HDD's to archive and playback your content and none are married to any one DVR. While you have to call to have this feature activated, it is free of charge (as Feb 1, 2011) feature and you can take the HDD to another HD DVR in your home and watch it there or transfer it back to the internal HDD.

While the Dish 922 has a stunning HD interface that is snappy fast and features large channel logos on the guide and a lot of innovative features, I would not recommend paying the higher upgrade fee as one needs to take time to see if they really like Dish for such an upgrade in the future, but 722's are the standard HD DVR's and they are very feature rich.

You could still keep your TiVo S3 for OTA recordings to supplement your Dish sat recordings, as I do. Also, the TiVo does have a lot of the internet content such as CNET, Revision 3, etc. and Netflix and Amazon for movies and TV shows.

I hope you get this resolved.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 02-06-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote