TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #91
mxhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
turn off any and all other 2.4 Ghz devices within 30 feet of your TiVo.
I did not think of that! I am always adding and removing various items from the 2.4 spectrum; ie: land phone, roku, atv, smart phones, security cams, etc. I will clear my air this week, try the re-sync, and report back.

Thanks for the tip!
mxhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #92
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhonda View Post
I did not think of that! I am always adding and removing various items from the 2.4 spectrum; ie: land phone, roku, atv, smart phones, security cams, etc. I will clear my air this week, try the re-sync, and report back.

Thanks for the tip!
It is amazing just how congested and insane the 2.4 Ghz band is. There is not much spectrum for consumer devices at all, so tons of crap is shoved in there. Also, it is possible that something not even in the 2.4 Ghz band can cause RFI that will show problems, if it is close and loud enough.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #93
mxhonda

Quote:
It is amazing just how congested and insane the 2.4 Ghz band is.
Found it! Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse for the HTPC located in another room. So far my glitching has stopped with this device disconnected.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #94
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Found it! Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse for the HTPC located in another room. So far my glitching has stopped with this device disconnected.

Thanks again for the help.
You're welcome, glad it was solved! Now you just have to figure out how to get the two devices to cope with each other

The bad news is mine started glitching AGAIN after just a few days after resetting it. I reset it again and the problem went away immediately. Hmm...
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #95
innocentfreak

Quote:
You're welcome, glad it was solved! Now you just have to figure out how to get the two devices to cope with each other

The bad news is mine started glitching AGAIN after just a few days after resetting it. I reset it again and the problem went away immediately. Hmm...
I wonder how many batteries I have wasted since I always just replaced the batteries since they were lower than 70% lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #96
aaronwt
HD Addict

Use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. Over seven months and they are still showing a level of 100%.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #97
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. Over seven months and they are still showing a level of 100%.
There is no need to change the batteries at 70% or 60% or 50%, etc. Maybe a 10% or something. Yes, the Lithium batteries are nice, and I use them all the time in certain devices. But they also cost about 5 times as much as alkaline (or more). The alkalines will last something like a year in a Slide Remote (mine did, and I used them down to single digit % left). Yes, they might last 5 times longer, and they weigh less, but I don't seem them as solving any particular problem in this application.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #98
aaronwt
HD Addict

Has anyone tried them that was having issues? You said removing the batteries and putting them back in helped the remote. I've never needed to do that with my BT remotes. They are more expensive but at only $1.20 or so each, it's not bad since they should last for several years.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #99
mandms7

I don't know. I never had this problem before the update two updates ago. Now it is totally consistent in its glitching. I have to imagine it is something going on with the code.
mandms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #100
S3-2501

I tried using Energizer Lithium batteries, resetting the remote, removing and re-inserting the batteries and moving the Bluetooth receiver. At best these fixed the problem for a few minutes. I had previously assumed that the problem was that the older Series 3 hardware was too slow to handle the remote reliably. Now that this thread makes it clear people are having the same issue when using a Premiere, I'm not sure what to think.

I have numerous other wireless and Bluetooth devices within 30 feet of the Tivo and they are all working fine. If it's a 2.4GHz interference issue, the slide remote is the only device affected.

For now my slide remote has been taken out of service.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #101
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
I tried using Energizer Lithium batteries, resetting the remote, removing and re-inserting the batteries and moving the Bluetooth receiver. At best these fixed the problem for a few minutes. I had previously assumed that the problem was that the older Series 3 hardware was too slow to handle the remote reliably. Now that this thread makes it clear people are having the same issue when using a Premiere, I'm not sure what to think.
I am also not sure what to think and I am actively testing several theories, because I never had this problem until a few months ago and NOTHING else in my house has changed at all. The resetting of the remote sometimes cures it for a long time, and sometimes barely at all. I will post back any new findings, but I am not holding out much hope now.

Quote:
I have numerous other wireless and Bluetooth devices within 30 feet of the Tivo and they are all working fine. If it's a 2.4GHz interference issue, the slide remote is the only device affected. For now my slide remote has been taken out of service.
See the above post where interference WAS EXACTLY his problem and he traced it to another bluetooth device. If you care to fix your problem, you really do have to test getting rid of everything wireless around it for a while, just to be sure. But it looks as if you have given up.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #102
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandms7 View Post
I don't know. I never had this problem before the update two updates ago.
Neither did I

Quote:
Now it is totally consistent in its glitching. I have to imagine it is something going on with the code.
It is impossible to eliminate that as a possibility right now. But there could also be several different problems that act the same way, which is confusing the issue for everyone.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #103
mxhonda

Just an Update: My remote glitching is repeatable by plugging my bluetooth keyboard and mouse back in. It happens immediately and stops immediately without the need to change batteries or reset the slide remote.

I do believe that it has something to do with the update or code because my devices played well together in the past.

If you have neighbors, it could be one of their 2.4 devices as well...
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #104
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Just an Update: My remote glitching is repeatable by plugging my bluetooth keyboard and mouse back in. It happens immediately and stops immediately without the need to change batteries or reset the slide remote.

I do believe that it has something to do with the update or code because my devices played well together in the past.

If you have neighbors, it could be one of their 2.4 devices as well...
Aren't all those devices supposed to switch to multiple channels? I have a bunch of BT devices, and alot more 2.4Ghz WiFi devices but so far I have not had any issues with any frequency conflicts.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #105
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Don't forget about the USB extension cable that came with the remote. Even just the 2 feet or so that moved my BT dongle helped with my interference issues.

I don't understand TiVo not using a more traditional RF, like Dish network uses in their remotes. I once got my remote on the same channel as a neighbor and we would have channel wars. Easy problem to solve, and way more reliable. That said, I still love the slide remote. Let's me change the channel when I am watching in a different room.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #106
aaronwt
HD Addict

Isn't BT traditional RF by now? It's been around for many years.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #107
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Isn't BT traditional RF by now? It's been around for many years.
LOL, I suppose you are right. You can read it as non-BT RF.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #108
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Aren't all those devices supposed to switch to multiple channels? I have a bunch of BT devices, and alot more 2.4Ghz WiFi devices but so far I have not had any issues with any frequency conflicts.
Yes.

But theory and practice are sometimes not the same. The actual frequencies on these different channels are actually very very close. And at a close range, interference can come into play, even if they are on other channels. And if a device doesn't adhere perfectly to the standards, it can cause havoc.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #109
MichaelK

Quote:

Just a WAG- but maybe it's possible that the TiVo bluetooth implementation isn't properly moving between channels to avoid interference. Maybe it just searches for a free slot during the remote's boot and once it gets that it locks there. Then when something else comes along and bumps into the chanels (like the keyboard mouse combo above) it isn't renegotiating a clean channel and so gets interference until you reboot the remote?

It's weird because i live in a townhouse FULL of noise. I would think if there was a mess I'd see it.

Have a cordless phone, the microwave, 2 tivo bluetooth remotes, bluetooth mice on 2 laptops, 2 smartphones, about five 2.4 wireless networks I can see with 2 laptops, 2 phones, 2 ipod touches, a wiii, a wifi print server, and 3 tablets alone in my house. My wife's bluetooth is on all the time and she has the little BT "charm" with the HTC girlie phone. I also have a zwave network- no idea if that's in teh same band or not. Etc Etc.

My house is a mess yet i don't see the issues at all. ONE time i did have a problem with my bluetooth not doing anything at all on my premiere and by chance i decided to unplug the Ethernet cable from the box and instantly that fixed it- so i think the box was just stuck and not really the remote. With the last software there were times the box didn't do anything but the bluetooth remotes did get the yellow light to blink.

TO test my renegotiate theory- rather then reboot the remote- maybe pull the dongle instead and see if that fixes it- if so then maybe that too causes a renegotiate of the channel?

good luck!
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #110
chriseng

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
My slide remote used to glitch, but had been working great for months. Then the other day the Tivo decided to stop responding to it entirely (even though the remote LED was lighting). I took out the batteries and put them back in, which fixed the problem, but now it's "glitching" - missing button presses, and being slow to respond. This sucks...I was really liking the slide, and thought whatever issues I had had been worked out.
My Slide (on HD XL) worked great since I got it a few months ago -- never noticed any lag or missed button presses. That is, up until a couple weeks ago, when it started exhibiting this glitching behavior. I notice it most when fast forwarding. I have to press Play like 10 times before it finally comes out of FF mode, then I have to rewind because it's FFed at least a minute into the show. I wonder if there was a recent software update that broke something Bluetooth related.
chriseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #111
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseng View Post
My Slide (on HD XL) worked great since I got it a few months ago -- never noticed any lag or missed button presses. That is, up until a couple weeks ago, when it started exhibiting this glitching behavior. I notice it most when fast forwarding. I have to press Play like 10 times before it finally comes out of FF mode, then I have to rewind because it's FFed at least a minute into the show. I wonder if there was a recent software update that broke something Bluetooth related.
If there was it hasn't affected the two Elites that I use my two BT remotes with. One day I'm going to pick up a third BT remote(when I find a nice sale). Since using the full size remote seems weird now.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #112
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseng View Post
My Slide (on HD XL) worked great since I got it a few months ago -- never noticed any lag or missed button presses. That is, up until a couple weeks ago, when it started exhibiting this glitching behavior. I notice it most when fast forwarding. I have to press Play like 10 times before it finally comes out of FF mode, then I have to rewind because it's FFed at least a minute into the show.
Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same issue, still and it is driving me absolutely crazy every day now.

Quote:
I wonder if there was a recent software update that broke something Bluetooth related.
No. Mine mysteriously started doing it BEFORE the last update, but well after the one before that. At this point, I think I am going to ask a friend at work if I can swap Slides with him to see if the problem moves with the remote.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #113
mxhonda

My problems are BACK. It's now the same as others, pull the batteries and reset makes it work for a few minutes, then it starts glitching. Multiple presses are required to get it out of FF mode.

This is happening with all my other devices off and the extension cable being used or not used.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #114
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
My problems are BACK. It's now the same as others, pull the batteries and reset makes it work for a few minutes, then it starts glitching. Multiple presses are required to get it out of FF mode.

This is happening with all my other devices off and the extension cable being used or not used.
I can't say I am happy for you, but it is nice to hear more conformation that I and others are not crazy.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #115
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I can't say I am happy for you, but it is nice to hear more conformation that I and others are not crazy.
Still driving me crazy every day. Persists over a hard reboot, re-pairing, etc. Ug. If I thought getting a different Slide would fix the problem, I would do it.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #116
bc0312

I have the same problem since the update that everyone else is experiencing. I did notice that if I continue to hit the FF button while it FF'ing (you get the boing sound), I can hit Play at the right time. Annoying but it's a work around..
bc0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #117
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0312 View Post
I have the same problem since the update that everyone else is experiencing. I did notice that if I continue to hit the FF button while it FF'ing (you get the boing sound), I can hit Play at the right time. Annoying but it's a work around..
I may have to try that. I am also hoping to swap Slides with a friend for the weekend (who is not having the problem) just to be absolutely sure it is not somehow that my remote has gone defective.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #118
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I may have to try that. I am also hoping to swap Slides with a friend for the weekend (who is not having the problem) just to be absolutely sure it is not somehow that my remote has gone defective.
SURPRISE!!

I did, indeed swap Slide remotes with my friend for the weekend. The change was immediate and certain. 100% of the problems disappeared. It is looking like there really *is* a problem with MY Slide remote, afterall, and not the Premiere.

Could it really be that many of the glitching problems people report really could be caused by Slide remotes going bad?

The last remaining piece in the puzzle is to see if he reports having remote problems with MY remote on HIS TiVo. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #119
mandms7

Hey crxssi,

Definitely keep us posted about your situation. I have given up on using bluetooth with the remote because of the glitching and have pulled the dongle.

Just wondering if anyone has actually called TiVo support to see if they have any insight or are aware of the problem?
mandms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #120
aaronwt
HD Addict

Could it have been a bad batch? Is anyone having issues with the slides purchased more recently? The two I purchased were from Amazon and Bestbuy last year. So maybe I just lucked out with not having any issues with either one.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner