TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #31
sourpatchkid78

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandashl View Post
I looked around the forum and there is no talk anymore about Slide Remote issues with S3's. Except the usual newbie stuff and not much of that either.

This is a Premiere issue, more than the remote. There's something wrong in the Premiere software, especially 14.7, related to the remote input process. Reminds me of my old Comcast Moto DVR. One of many reasons I got a TiVo.

I think TiVo really needs to have a few meetings.
I recently purchased a slide remote for my TivoHD (Series 3) and have been experiencing problems as well. Delayed key presses, non-registered key presses and even sometimes continuous key presses even though I'm not pressing the button. No wireless router nearby, tried the extension dongle...still a problem. Too bad, the remote was a nice for multiple reasons but is kind of annoying now.
sourpatchkid78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #32
rijowysock

i bought a 10ft USB extension to move it away from my router that i thought was interrupting it.

still does it...
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #33
Foodvoc

Laggy LaRue.

I'm also having the same problem with my Slide and have tried all sorts of USB extension and WiFi GHz adjustment acrobatics to no avail.

I was thinking maybe it's my TiVoHD box itself. I upgraded the internal to 1TB when I got the Slide and now have hundreds of TiVo Suggestion shows. It's chuck-full. Is it possible the processor on the unit is getting overtaxed and laggy and deprioritizing the input from the USB dongle in favor of managing the OS and all the files? Maybe it's not a remote issue...

Do people who have the lag issues also have upgraded capacity drives?

That said, I've also noticed that the slide needs its bluetooth signal to be "woken up" with a button press before responding.
Foodvoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
akc

Question

Hello - After reading this, I'm wondering if you would go with the Tivo Slide remote again? We just got our Premiere XL and I mistakenly thought the "premiere" remote we got was the slide, but it's the GLO. I was thinking I would upgrade but there seems to be some issues?

While we use our Tivo(s - we have 4) heavily, we don't really use the wishlists or search for shows. If we go to watch OnDemand movies from Unbox or otherwise, we tend to "browse" and don't have a movie in mind. If that's the case, do you think having the keyboard is even worth the cost?

I am a bit wary after reading your posts, though it does have glowing reviews on Amazon, etc.

Thanks for your advice -

PS Having just started on the GLO, I'm a little irritated that the Mute button is where the Select used to be on the old peanut - anyone else bothered by that? I've already fallen into the mute trap about 10 times!
akc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #35
deandashl

Had it since Late August, when it came out.

Faster input(less lag), non-directional, I can skip commercials while working in the kitchen, better feel in the hand, batteries last MUCH MUCH longer than my old GLO remote. The keyboard is a great feature, but the Slide Remote is MUCH more than that. I cannot imagine going back to the old remote, and I liked the old GLO remote, at the time.

I have had an occasional key press that doesn't register. But it's really rare. I have NOT had the problems that are mentioned in this thread.

Not to diminish the posts in this thread, but I would put more weight in what's on Amazon; just seems more "big picture" reality than what's usually on this forum.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Slide Remote AND would buy one again if I buy a second TiVo.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #36
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodvoc View Post
No. I have a stock Premiere non-XL. Have had the Slide from day one, use it every day for many months. Never had a single problem until 14.7.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #37
TWinbrook46636

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
I have dealt with the missed button presses, but recently I got a Premiere and I'm really getting frustrated with the remote response. Often I hit a button and get no response, as I watch the Tivo fast forward through the show I'm trying to watch. Occasionally I also get multiple phantom presses. I'll press a button once, and Tivo will register about 30 presses. Usually this will result in "bong-bong-bong-bong". Also I noticed several times last night that I hit the 30 second scan or the replay button, and the Tivo would interpret it as me holding it down, so it would skip to the beginning or end of the show. Not good for shows that have spoilers at the end!
Same here. The phantom presses are almost comical. "bong-bong-bong-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bong" It flips between the main screen and now playing list dozens of times or scrolls through the channels while it's doing this all on its own. It's like it's possessed. I'm going to call in a priest to perform an exorcism.

I've noticed that while it's doing this neither the blue not amber LED lights up on the remote itself (you can ever remove to batteries with no effect) but the amber ring on the Premiere is lighting up continuously.

I would like to point out that I've definitely had this problem before 14.7 though. It seemed to improve with the update prior to that but 14.7 seemed to undo any progress made and perhaps made it even worse than when I first got the remote. It's hard to tell as I haven't been using it as within 10 minutes or so it's "bong-bong-bong-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bong"
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #38
rijowysock

Quote:
I'm also having the same problem with my Slide and have tried all sorts of USB extension and WiFi GHz adjustment acrobatics to no avail.

I was thinking maybe it's my TiVoHD box itself. I upgraded the internal to 1TB when I got the Slide and now have hundreds of TiVo Suggestion shows. It's chuck-full. Is it possible the processor on the unit is getting overtaxed and laggy and deprioritizing the input from the USB dongle in favor of managing the OS and all the files? Maybe it's not a remote issue...

That said, I've also noticed that the slide needs its bluetooth signal to be "woken up" with a button press before responding.
sounds very likely. i just added external 1TB over SATA... could very well be too busy fast forwarding and deprioritizing the command to play (how to correct this?)
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #39
sourpatchkid78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
sounds very likely. i just added external 1TB over SATA... could very well be too busy fast forwarding and deprioritizing the command to play (how to correct this?)
I have a standard TivoHD and still have all of the remote issues mentioned here. No hard drive upgrades. I just returned the remote as it was too annoying to use on a regular basis.
sourpatchkid78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #40
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Is there any way to disable the "skip to end" functionality on the Premiere when you hold down the "->|" button? I'm getting sick of having shows spoiled because my slide thinks I'm holding the button down when I'm not.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #41
starmanj

I have same problems everyone is talking about. Standard premier and slide. Every other keypress works, with sudden random multiple keypresses-- like I hit the down button on a guide and suddenly it repeats all the way to the bottom of the list. I unplugged the dongle and am using standard IR now. Tried everything, using dongle extender, new batteries. It seems like a software issue. Tivo is getting as bad as Comcast equipment now...
starmanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #42
Sut703

Well I'm giving up on the Slide, planning on selling mine. Just wound up pulling out my Logitech Harmony, and will plan on using that again, which is unfortunate, because when the Slide worked, it was great, and my favorite (even without programmable macros).

I've found that I can reset my TiVo, and the Slide works normally again (responding to each button press), however this is only temporary. Sometimes it works for a few days, but often a few hours later, it's back to not responding. If I unplug the BT dongle, then no issues, but then that defeats the purpose of the remote for me.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #43
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sut703 View Post
Well I'm giving up on the Slide, planning on selling mine. Just wound up pulling out my Logitech Harmony, and will plan on using that again, which is unfortunate, because when the Slide worked, it was great, and my favorite (even without programmable macros).

I've found that I can reset my TiVo, and the Slide works normally again (responding to each button press), however this is only temporary. Sometimes it works for a few days, but often a few hours later, it's back to not responding. If I unplug the BT dongle, then no issues, but then that defeats the purpose of the remote for me.
Well, TiVo ruined the Slide with the 14.7 update. At least it means it could be fixed again in the next update.... we hope. If you are reverting to an IR remote anyway, you might as well just unplug the Slide's BT and use it as an IR remote until the fix comes.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #44
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
If you are reverting to an IR remote anyway, you might as well just unplug the Slide's BT and use it as an IR remote until the fix comes.
Probably what I would do, as I like the size and button press on the slide better, but its pretty lame that you lose the keyboard functionality then.

I have seen a little lag, but never anything as bad as it sounds like you guys have seen, and only on the first button press when I FF. Now I just click it three times right away and it goes.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #45
Foodvoc

Some good news.

Ok. So I have the 802.11g TiVo dongle. And the Slide Remote. I've had not only the press-play-20-times-in-fastforward problem but also the long lag going up and down menus.

I used the USB extender for the bluetooth dongle, kept it in direct-sight and it didn't solve anything. I switched miserably to IR for a while.

Then I decided to try using a longer 6ft USB cable (from an old printer) for the network dongle instead, and kept that sucker as far away as possible from the unit. Then I put the BT dongle as far away as I could using its extender in the opposite direction.

Result: No more press-20x issue. Play button stops on a dime. Finally! Joyous! However the menus sometimes have the lag in "Now Playing". My guess is the first issue was a frequency interference issue which seems solved. The menu issue might have to do with the TiVo OS trying to deal with 200+ shows on there. But the bottom line is the BT is finally usable!

I hope this empirical report helps some of you out.
Foodvoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #46
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Then I decided to try using a longer 6ft USB cable (from an old printer) for the network dongle instead, and kept that sucker as far away as possible from the unit. Then I put the BT dongle as far away as I could using its extender in the opposite direction. Result: No more press-20x issue. Play button stops on a dime. Finally! My guess is the first issue was a frequency interference issue which seems solved. But the bottom line is the BT is finally usable! I hope this empirical report helps some of you out.
It is interesting, but doesn't explain why my unit suddenly starting having issues with the Slide right after the 14.7 update but never had ANY before.... I didn't change anything. Will be a while before my next testing phase, but will be interesting to see if anyone else finds the info helpful.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #47
pbadss

I'm thinking of picking up a bluetooth remote. Will 15ft + no line of sight be a problem?
pbadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #48
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadss View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a bluetooth remote. Will 15ft + no line of sight be a problem?
Line of sight is irrelevant on an RF device. It has much more than a 15' range. I would place it at 30+' with no obstacles.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #49
sirfergy

Anyone notice if 14.8 helps? I tried but so far it seems the same.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #50
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
Anyone notice if 14.8 helps? I tried but so far it seems the same.
I cannot confirm. I have had 14.8 only one day so far and I have seen the glitch zero times since the update. I usually have it happen at least once during a program. However, I can't make any conclusions yet with so little a sample time.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #51
sirfergy

Wow, you're lucky. It happens to me pretty much as soon as there has been no activity with the remote, as if it went to sleep and the connection can't be reestablished until I've pressed a few buttons.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #52
Ubipa

Testing

I had similar issues with the remote and i did the following.

Test the remote on a computer to see is there is a problem with the remote. It'll work as just a bluetooth keyboard. Test connectivity and distance. Mine was fine, which ruined the belief the remote or bt dongle were defective.

It seems like there's some type of interference when the bt dongle is too close to the tivo. I took a 6ft usb extension and moved it away from the tivo. This worked for my S3 and Premier.
Ubipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #53
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
Wow, you're lucky. It happens to me pretty much as soon as there has been no activity with the remote, as if it went to sleep and the connection can't be reestablished until I've pressed a few buttons.
I suspect you are having other problems with your remote that is not the bug this thread is talking about (low bat., interference, bad connection, defective remote). Those that have the bug have an occasional ignore of a button, but only during fast forward/rewind of a program and attempting to return to "play".
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #54
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I have watched several more hours of video now and still no glitch. I hate to jinx it, but it does appear, to me anyway, that the 14.8 actually fixed this bug!!!

Keep in mind that for an intermittent problem like the "slide remote glitch", it is difficult to PROVE a fix, you can only fail to disprove it over time. So take my early declaration that it is fixed with a grain of salt while we wait for others' opinions...
Old 05-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #55
angel35

Never had a problem with the slide remote it never stoped working

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #56
tunarollz
Jon at TiVo

subscribing
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #57
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have watched several more hours of video now and still no glitch. I hate to jinx it, but it does appear, to me anyway, that the 14.8 actually fixed this bug!!!

Keep in mind that for an intermittent problem like the "slide remote glitch", it is difficult to PROVE a fix, you can only fail to disprove it over time. So take my early declaration that it is fixed with a grain of salt while we wait for others' opinions...
Several more days and still fixed. Now we shall see if it reverted in the recent "U" update of 14.8...
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #58
HoustonMidtown

For those of you with Hulu+, are you able to log in to your Hulu+ account using the slide remote?

For me, it only seems to type uppercase letters (my password has upper and lower case letters) and the @ symbol types a 2 instead of the @ (for using in my email address)

I can use the onscreen keyboard so it's not a huge issue, just wondered if anyone else was experiencing something similar...
HoustonMidtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #59
PocoDiablo

For what it's worth, I have a Slide remote and it was hooked up to my HD Tivo, then we upgraded to the Premiere and it has all the problems mentioned here on the Premiere. Same location, same remote, same BT receiver, everything, it's just the Premiere that sucks.

I also happened to pick up a second Premiere and two new remotes, and they all do the same thing. Crappy crappy crappy.

For the first time in 10+ years, I am not happy with Tivo AT ALL.
PocoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #60
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocoDiablo View Post
For what it's worth, I have a Slide remote and it was hooked up to my HD Tivo, then we upgraded to the Premiere and it has all the problems mentioned here on the Premiere. Same location, same remote, same BT receiver, everything, it's just the Premiere that sucks.

I also happened to pick up a second Premiere and two new remotes, and they all do the same thing. Crappy crappy crappy.

For the first time in 10+ years, I am not happy with Tivo AT ALL.
You are saying you are getting the glitching slide remote bug? That was one of the few bugs that seems to have been totally solved. It was several months ago with the 14.8 update.