TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
cheitzig

Coax antenna connector broken off from Tivo motherboard

I noticed I wasn't getting any antenna channels recently, and it had been since I'd attached a small chuck of cable between my antenna and my Tivo HD box.

Turns out when I tightened the antenna cable onto the TiVo box, I tightened it too much and broke the connector off the motherboard.

Any advice on how to get this fixed? Any thoughts on where to buy the part-- I can probably solder it back on if I knew where to buy one. Maybe RadioShack?
cheitzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yeah, Radio Shack or maybe Lowes or Home Depot. Both of those HW stores actually carry quite a bit of stuff for phone, ethernet, and TV cable installation.
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
smbaker

Sadly, Radio Shack isn't the parts store they used to be a few decades ago. I don't think you're likely to get much help there if it's a PCB-mount jack. Something like Mouser or Newark or Digikey perhaps (online parts suppliers).

I'm surprised the jack isn't part of a shielded assembly that's hard to get into. In the worst case if you can't find the right jack, you might be able to solder some wires from the PCB to a panel-mount jack.

Finally, you can always buy a leftover Tivo off EBAY (perhaps a DOA one cheap?) and take the jack from that if you're unable to locate one from a parts store.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
SNJpage1

I'd look on ebay for parts or like they said a junked tivo. Ive bought parts from Mouser and digikey and they would probably have the part also.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
I noticed I wasn't getting any antenna channels recently, and it had been since I'd attached a small chuck of cable between my antenna and my Tivo HD box.

Turns out when I tightened the antenna cable onto the TiVo box, I tightened it too much and broke the connector off the motherboard.

Any advice on how to get this fixed? Any thoughts on where to buy the part-- I can probably solder it back on if I knew where to buy one. Maybe RadioShack?
You probably didn't break it loose from the motherboard, you probably broke it loose from the tuner.

If you had the knowledge and experience necessary to do the repair, you'd have probably already had the cover off of the unit and done it.

Therefore, I recommend that you don't try.

Is this unit lifetimed, ('cause we're about to get into the whole cheaper to repair or replace question here)?

What part of the country are you in?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Yeah, Radio Shack or maybe Lowes or Home Depot. Both of those HW stores actually carry quite a bit of stuff for phone, ethernet, and TV cable installation.
We don't know exactly what's broken inside, so suggesting where parts can be purchased is jumping the gun.

I'd suggest that the OP either take the TiVo to an electronics repair place, or (if secure enough with electronics) open the TiVo's case themself to at least look at the connector and see exactly how the break happened.

If a board itself is damaged, just solder will likely not be enough. A new board might even be needed.

Let's get a look at the actual damage first.

If a board is damaged, I like the ideas to buy a used TiVo and cannibalize it for the board, but this is a "TiVo HD box".

I doubt you'll find many of them on eBay as old, parts machines.

I doubt you'll find ANY of them as parts machines.

Depending on the damage, this may require shipping it back to TiVo for a fix.

EDIT:

Hmmmm....

How old is the machine? Is it still under warranty? If so, do NOT open the case. Ship it back unopened.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
cheitzig

Just getting back to this thread. Box is 1.5 to 2 years old. I had the cover off and would've desoldered, etc., but there was no point-- I don't have the replacement part. I can turn the elbow connector completely around, so it's no longer attached to the PCB. I just need that part.

I like the eBay idea-- will give that a try.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Mister B

What I Did

I made the exact same mistake with a VCR years ago, tightening the coax too much until the RF connector turned. I just used a short piece of coax cable, stripping one end down to expose the center conductor and braided ground. Then I soldered the center conductor where the inner part of the connector used to connect and the braid to the outer connection.
If you remove the old connector the cable should go through the hole to the outside of the box. Then you can put a barrel connector on the end of the short piece of coax and connect as before. I believe I also put a clip on the cable inside the box so I could not accidentally pull the cable too hard and break the delicate connection.
The only problem may be that old VCRs were very obvious as to the connections. I have noticed over the years it is not so obvious anymore and I have never looked inside of the TIVO. Since you have seen inside it is just a suggestion to visualize a possible fix.
Mister B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Mike500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I made the exact same mistake with a VCR years ago, tightening the coax too much until the RF connector turned. I just used a short piece of coax cable, stripping one end down to expose the center conductor and braided ground. Then I soldered the center conductor where the inner part of the connector used to connect and the braid to the outer connection.
If you remove the old connector the cable should go through the hole to the outside of the box. Then you can put a barrel connector on the end of the short piece of coax and connect as before. I believe I also put a clip on the cable inside the box so I could not accidentally pull the cable too hard and break the delicate connection.
The only problem may be that old VCRs were very obvious as to the connections. I have noticed over the years it is not so obvious anymore and I have never looked inside of the TIVO. Since you have seen inside it is just a suggestion to visualize a possible fix.
I'd also use the F81 barrel connector. However, I'd put the connector on the inside of the chassis with the standard 3/8-32 barrel nut to lock it on from the outside. Then, it will look and work just like the original.
Mike500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Try craiglist to start out with.

The shipping will kill you on ebay. Go with craigslist. I just shipped a Tivo and it was over $25!
If the machine doesn't have lifetime, just replace it if U haven't done soldering before. Too bad U don't live in Denver. I sell series 2 Tivos DT without lifetime for $25 if U pick it up. Here in Denver many Tivos are listed every day on craigslist. Sometimes for free. A friend just picked up a Series 2 Tivo with an open account(means that he can record without having to pay for service)for free with a Tivo wireless adapter on Craiglist.
By the way, which model is it and does it have lifetime?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
cheitzig

It's a TivoHD and has lifetime, so I can't really switch it out easily.

Right now, I don't have it connected to an HD television, so I don't really need OTA TV, but I think I'll probably give the "chuck of coax" soldering method a try. I solder a bit-- just not that often, but am comfortable enough to do what Mister B suggested.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
It's a TivoHD and has lifetime, so I can't really switch it out easily.

Right now, I don't have it connected to an HD television, so I don't really need OTA TV, but I think I'll probably give the "chuck of coax" soldering method a try. I solder a bit-- just not that often, but am comfortable enough to do what Mister B suggested.

Thanks for the ideas!
Is there any way you can post a picture or three of the damaged part and area where it broke off?

Unless you want to bring it by the house for me to look at. : - )

Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
cheitzig

I haven't opened the Tivo's case in a while since this issue isn't killing me, but finally found a part online once I realized that a type f right angle to board connector is what I need. Figured I'd post in case anyone else has the problem.

Digikey version of what seems to be close-ish to the part I need: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=5415024-1-ND

Note that I haven't taken measurements of the pin distances, etc. on the device in the TiVo, but at least I know what to search for when I get ambitious and open the case up.

--> C

P.S. Sorry I haven't kept up with the posts. I realized today that I had an old e-mail address associated with my profile.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
I haven't opened the Tivo's case in a while since this issue isn't killing me, but finally found a part online once I realized that a type f right angle to board connector is what I need. Figured I'd post in case anyone else has the problem.

Digikey version of what seems to be close-ish to the part I need: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=5415024-1-ND

Note that I haven't taken measurements of the pin distances, etc. on the device in the TiVo, but at least I know what to search for when I get ambitious and open the case up.

--> C

P.S. Sorry I haven't kept up with the posts. I realized today that I had an old e-mail address associated with my profile.
If that's what the thing inside your Tivo looks like, then apparently the Series 3 did away with separate modular tuners like the S1 and S2 have.

If you tightened hard enough to bust that (with 5 different parts of it soldered to the pc board) loose, you've probably done some considerable damage to the pc board.